daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #7661
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
License plate scanners.
In a place where dashcams are seen as privacy invasion?
Dream on
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #7662
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

There are license plate scanners in Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and Lower Saxony.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #7663
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
In a place where dashcams are seen as privacy invasion?
Dream on
I know
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #7664
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
No. But I think there are only 3 sections in Germany:
- A8 Pforzheim-North to Pforzheim-South (~5km; map; construction could begin in 2016 or later)
- A8 Mühlhausen to Ulm (~40km; map; partial u/c)
- A8 Rosenheim to Bad Reichenhall (~50km; map)

I'm not sure about A11........

No! RAB means Reichs Auto Bahn. We discussed the "Reich" topic just a few days ago. The "Reich" period ended in 1945, not 1990! RAB were built/opened until ~1943.
Thanks! I know what RAB means, and I know that the Reich ended in 1945

However, considering that almost 4,000 km of RAB were built, I wasn't sure to which extent the RAB network had already been upgraded by 1990. That's why I said that the Autobahnen I was looking for would fall under those two categories, but it wasn't my intention to say that all those Autobahnen were part of the RAB. It's like "all thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs"
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #7665
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

It might interest you that there is still an original stretch of a RAB in Poland. And by "original" I mean it still has the original concrete slabs laid in the 1930s.

A18 in Poland
What Is Love?

Highway89 liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #7666
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway89 View Post
However, considering that almost 4,000 km of RAB were built, I wasn't sure to which extent the RAB network had already been upgraded by 1990.
Sorry, I don't get it. I wrote which sections are not yet upgraded but there are a lot of sections which have been upgraded from 1990 to 2015. Why do you ask about 1990?

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #7667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The 'big dig'

Just for reference, those excavators are up to 200 meters long and 90 meters tall.

A44 Dreieck Holz near Mönchengladbach.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #7668
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Numbers are good. Pictures are better.

What Is Love?
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #7669
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

How come they excavate that much and don't create a giant lake
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #7670
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

Groundwater levels are lower?
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #7671
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Probably very low groundwater levels, possibly artificially made lower to enable the digging without flooding.

Also, funny that you mention 'creating a giant lake' because that is exactly what will happen once they're done digging. They'll fill it up with water
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #7672
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
They use pumps....

Old March 7th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #7673
MichiH

A143 Halle bypass

Quote:
The planner tried to find a different route but the current A143 route is already very expensive (about 20 million € per kilometer). It would be too expensive to tunnel under the FFH areas. They've optimized the planning and the plans were layed out in 2011 and 2012. The plans were also proved by the European Commission which produced a list of desired improvements in late 2012:

1. Examine alternative routes again (the alternative around the FFH areas has a length of 20km; length and costs are twice then the current route)
2. Examine the zero variant ("is the Autobahn really necessary?"; The Greens said that the A143 would have an AADT of 10,000 vehicles per day, but the planner assume 43,500 vehicles per day; the Nabu does still not trust the method of the planner)
3. More efficient protection measures (Anacamptis morio and steepe grassland shall be replant; sheeps shall reduce nitrogen pollution and keep away other plants; veterinary fences shall keep away bettles who will get an ecoduct to cross the A143; the bats will also get an ecoduct; no building during the breeding season; no building near bats at night)

The results should be approved by the European Commission in 2014. It is planned to pass the plan approval order in 2015. Afterwards complaints would be possible again. In best case the construction could been started in 2017 and completed in 2020.
An alternative route was found. It's longer, will carry less cars and will cost more:

Source: Volksstimme

The currently planned route costs 240 million €. The alternative route would cost 175 million € in addition. The currently planned route would be used by 4,000 to 6,000 vehicles more. The alternative route must be analyzed more detailed now. In best case, EU could approve the planning documents in 2016, groundbreaking in 2017, completion 2020.

It's just because the current route would pass a FFH area. It must be verified that there is no proper alternative route.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old March 7th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #7674
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

The alternative route is BS.
I hope it will be canceled and they will build the A143 along the original route.
What Is Love?

flierfy, bozenBDJ liked this post
Old March 9th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #7675
MichiH

A643

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A643 (Mainz - Wiesbaden) has been closed due to a problem with the bridge across the Rhine. A girder of the 'Vorlandbrücke' that connects the main bridge with the bridgehead, has snapped or fell according to HR-Online, causing the bridge deck to dip by 4 centimeters. The Autobahn has been closed in both direction since last night.

The Schierstein Bridge was built in 1962. It is currently being replaced due to its poor condition and high traffic volume, but it won't be completed until 2019. It is unclear how long the closure may last, it could be weeks or more. It led to a traffic chaos in Mainz and Wiesbaden.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-mai...-13422370.html

http://www.hr-online.de/website/rubr...ument_54434241
The Chamber of Industry and Commence (IHK Rheinhessen) calculated the economical costs of the closure caused by the demage of the 'Vorlandbrücke', see press release (German).

Additional costs for car drivers are about 1.2 million € per day due to loss of time and detours. Additional costs for truck drivers (>12.5t) are > 200,000 €. In total, 1.4 million €. Assuming 20% of the cars are commercial transport, total direct disadvantage for the economy is about 470,000 €/day. In total, the costs are 312 million € per year. The replacement of the Schiersteinerbrücke costs 216 million €. If there would not yet been a bridge at all, a new bridge would be amortized within 8 month. (note: I think the calculation is wrong. I don't understand why it's 312 million €?!?)

There are rumors, that the Schiersteinerbrücke will be reopened for cars only (Vmax 40km/h) in late March. Anyway, the demaged bridge ("Vorlandbrücke") will not be replaced by 2019 because it was only planned to be temporarily widened for time being. The planning of the new Vorlandbrücke (part of 2x3 widening up to AD Mainz) started in 2006. The plan approval procedure is announced to be started in early 2016. The completion of the new Vorlandbrücke could be in 2023. That means, the Schiersteinerbrücke would be closed for trucks until 2023.

Old March 9th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #7676
MichiH

FTO Airport Munich

Quote:
There are three North-South-Connections b/n A92 and A94 east of A9:
- FTO Freising-Markt Schwaben ("Flughafen Tangente Ost", eastern airport tangent, St2580) which is partial planned to be upgraded to 2x2.

[...]
Some details on the widening of the FTO. The FTO has a length of 35km. It's 2-laned but grade-separated without any cross-town link. The last section was opened in December 2010 (see German wikipedia). The planning of widening started in 2010 too.

The plan approval procedure for 2x2 widening of the first section - b/n Airport Munich and Erding-North (OSM) - started in January 2014. The predicted AADT 2030 is 34,300 vehicles/day. Construction could start in 2018 or later.
The plan approval procedure for 2+1 widening b/n Erding-North and Erding-South (OSM; 2nd section) should start in 2015. The predicted AAD 2030 is 27,700 vehicles/day only.

Source (German).

Old March 14th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #7677
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Another nice shot from the rerouting of the A 44 at the Garzweiler lignite mine. The picture shows land where the coal was excavated and the dumping process is already finished. The dump in this section varies between 130 m and 190 m in depth. The problem is that the soils are rather loose because of the dumping by stackers and show creep settelments that must be considered by the planning of the motorway.

keokiracer, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #7678
MichiH

Fehmarnbelt tunnel

There are rumors, that the German Federal Court of Auditors (Bundesrechnungshof) requested that the German Federal Ministry of Transport should do a legal check of the Fehmarnbelt contract with Denmark because of increased costs of the hinterland infrastructure (Hinterlandanbindung) - road and railway - from 800 million € to 2.2 billion € which have to be paid by Germany. Source (in German).

Old March 14th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #7679
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I've read that they wanted to build a new railroad farther from the coastal communities in Ostholstein. Which may explain the cost escalation.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #7680
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
Another nice shot from the rerouting of the A 44 at the Garzweiler lignite mine. The picture shows land where the coal was excavated and the dumping process is already finished. The dump in this section varies between 130 m and 190 m in depth. The problem is that the soils are rather loose because of the dumping by stackers and show creep settelments that must be considered by the planning of the motorway.

I wonder if rebuilding the A44 is necessary at all, it would only connect to the short stubble north of A46 which will never be connected to the A44 stretch ~10km to the north.
It would also be just a few km shorter (A44/61 to A44/52 via A61 and 52: 34 km via A44: 27 Km ->~7km less)
A61 and A46-A57 already provide a better north-south connection today
We should just give the area back to nature and make the hole on the left a lake.
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau