daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #7741
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Road trip part two

13 The next morning we were on A48 heading for Koblenz.

14 The Moseltalbrücke on a rainy day. The Moselle is a river flowing through France, Luxembourg, and Germany. It is a left tributary of the Rhine, which it joins at Koblenz.

15 Finally, as the blazing Sun shone down upon us, were we approaching Karlsruhe. There're two autobahns (A8 & A65) starting/ending in Karlsruhe but there's no direct autobahn connection between them. Hence if you want to go from one to the other, you'll have to drive through the city.

16 A8 is a significant East-West transit route in southern Germany that runs from Karlsruhe via Stuttgart, Ulm, Augsburg and Munich to the Austrian West Autobahn near Salzburg. Currently two sections are under construction: Karlsruhe-Pforzheim and Ulm-Augsburg. Here the former one.

17 The section between Pforzheim and Stuttgart as a dual three-lane autobahn was completed several years ago.

18 A81 near Stuttgart coming from the north towards Bodensee, Germany's largest lake.

19 + 20 On the third day, driving on A81 west of Stuttgart.

21 A long straight section of A81, where jet fighters could land and take off.

22 +23 Congestion in the opposite direction. We had good luck

By me.

SRC_100, Suburbanist, EPA001, MichiH, Luki_SL and 4 others liked this post
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #7742
miumiuwonwon

Road trip part three

24 + 25 A3 near Würzburg.

26 Must be a Bundesstraße (German for "federal highway") over A3.

27 The section of A3 between Würzburg and Nuremberg is also constructed as a dual three-lane autobahn.

28 A7 after Würzburg.

29 Now heading for Schwenfurt via A70.

30 Shortly after for Erfurt via A71.

31 + 32 Breathtaking sunsets over A71.

33 The newly built ICE high-speed line between Leipzig/Halle and Nuremberg will be in full operation in 2017.

By me.

SRC_100, Suburbanist, EPA001, Luki_SL, verreme and 3 others liked this post
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #7743
miumiuwonwon

A 2+2 Bundesstraße (B9) with speed limit of 120km/h near Ludwigshafen.

By me.

SRC_100, EPA001, ilyan liked this post
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #7744
detreinbek

Likes (Received): 27

"Think big" ... this message in Germany today only a few people understand. Projects that bring our country forward are no more to realize or if yes than with a delay from many years. The A 20 is one of the best example for it. If we continue like this we will become a developement country one day, comparing to some european neighbours and my Second Home Malaysia.
detreinbek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #7745
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Thanks for the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by miumiuwonwon View Post
19 + 20 On the third day, driving on A81 west of Stuttgart.
The pic is strange. I think I've never seen that left lane empty there, while the other lanes are like on the pic. A81 b/n Stuttgart and Heilbronn usually looks like on the opposite carriageway where the left lane is the most busiest one.

Quote:
The pic shows a typical congestion but I guess the speed is still "high" (> 60km/h).

Quote:
21 A long straight section of A81, where jet fighters could land and take off.
Yes, the 2.5km straight (map) was designed to be an emergency runway for planes (also commercial planes).
Looks like one could drive fast there but I think I've never driven faster than 200 b/c people always overtake slower vehicles there .

Quote:
22 +23 Congestion in the opposite direction. We had good luck
You cannot see it on the pic but that's also a "straight" of almost 2km (map). You can use the slope to drive quite fast . I'm not used to drive slower than 200 there.

Quote:
26 Must be a Bundesstraße (German for "federal highway") over A3.
Nope. It's just an ecoduct. Wildlife crossing (map).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #7746
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

In regards to the PKW-Maut - does anyone actually know what the new categories will be? All I've found is that the price ranges from 5 to 15 Euro - but without any definitions.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #7747
MichiH

http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Art...turabgabe.html (German)
http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/EN/Art...ging-bill.html (English; less info)

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:23 AM   #7748
Eulanthe

So my (as a foreigner) vignette depends on the Euro classification of my engine?

I don't even know what my engine is, it's not written anywhere and I don't have any documents talking about it. I have the green umwelt sticker, but isn't that given to any petrol car?

Maybe I'm stupid, but it's just not something that I've ever had to consider. I've got two cars, but the one I use to drive to Germany is my 2003 Astra with an obscure 1.2 8V engine that even most Opel dealers aren't aware of. It's a great car for runs to Berlin, as the engine only uses around 25 litres for the return trip.

So yes, any ideas? I can't even find anything online that references the Euro class...
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #7749
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

wow, I drove to Germany with a 1.6 16v Astra and I felt it so slooow
1.2 8 valve oh boy, it is almost a waste to go to Germany with less than V8 engine
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:16 AM   #7750
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
So my (as a foreigner) vignette depends on the Euro classification of my engine?
Basically yes.
I have no idea how on earth will a car that was never sold in Germany classified. I read many articles about toll, but it was nowhere explained. But I'm sure there will be a clear process for that.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #7751
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
it is almost a waste to go to Germany with less than V8 engine
Since we have engine downsizing in Europe, just little car left on market with V8 or bigger engine as a brand new... unfortunately...
The most radicules is Ford Mondeo (medium class car) - in US and Canada known as Fusion - with 1.0 litre 3 cilinder engine
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #7752
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I never drove faster than 175 in Germany (south of Kassel). I try to stick to speeds within 150-160, above that fuel consumption is just too high and lanes just too narrow for my comfort.
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #7753
MichiH

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
So yes, any ideas? I can't even find anything online that references the Euro class...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Basically yes.
I have no idea how on earth will a car that was never sold in Germany classified. I read many articles about toll, but it was nowhere explained. But I'm sure there will be a clear process for that.
It's not German but EU classification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...egal_framework

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/air/transport/road.htm

Old April 9th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #7754
MichiH

A643

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The demaged "Vorlandbrücke" will probably be jacked next week (source; until "Good Friday"). Afterwards, the temporary traffic routing must be undone. The Rhine bridge should be opened (for cars) around Easter.
The Schiersteiner Brücke will probably be opened for vehicles < 3.5t next Monday if a static load test will be done on Friday. There will be each a scales for vehicles. If its weight is >= 3.5t, the bridge will immediately be closed by a gate. Police have to open the gate to remove the truck. Fine: 75 € or 150 € in case of premeditation. Two lanes will direct to the bridge from Wiesbaden but only one lane will direct to the bridge from Mainz: press release, project page, news article.

Pics from SWR (click for more layouts):

The demaged bridge is in the middle of the pic (b/n acceleration and deceleration lanes). Construction of the new Rhine bridge on the left.

More info and pics: http://www.eautobahn.de/html/brucken...z-mombach.html.

Old April 9th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #7755
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

That seems to be a different system than they employed in Ludwigshafen:

B44-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #7756
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Basically yes.
I just cannot figure it out at all. I've looked at both car registration documents and there's no mention whatsoever of anything that can be used to determine the Euro class of the engine. It just has the power output, nothing more.

More to the point, what on earth will stop the average Pole from buying a 5 Euro vignette? The cameras will show that the car has a valid vignette, and how on earth would someone working in a petrol station be expected to be able to read Polish registration documents for instance?

As for going to Germany with a 1.2 8V engine - honestly, it's not a big deal on runs to Berlin. Tje limit is 120km/h on the A12 anyway, and the car is ridiculously economical when running around big cities anyway.
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #7757
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

My car registration card (we don't have papers anymore) includes the EU environmental class (noted under V.9): 715/2007*692/2008F. According to a Google query that is a Euro 5 engine.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #7758
Unit8200
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

i´ve heard german autobahns will be in future with toll ?
Unit8200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #7759
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3274

You don`t say?
That`s really breaking news!
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #7760
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My car registration card (we don't have papers anymore) includes the EU environmental class (noted under V.9): 715/2007*692/2008F. According to a Google query that is a Euro 5 engine.
I don't have anything of the sort, I've looked at both documents closely and there's no mention of EU environmental classes.

My registration documents are new, so - isn't this a huge loophole in the system?

(on further checking, it seems that Germany uses a date system where the Euro engine class can't be determined for the umweltzone - I assume the same will apply here. I'm still convinced that if the vignette can be bought abroad, then we'll see a glut of foreigners with valid vignettes paying the lowest possible price, especially Czechs and Poles)

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau