daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:23 AM   #7821
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

I drove the A3 between Frankfurt and Dusseldorf last week. There are numerous small construction sites. But there were always 3 lanes open so it was ok.

Wouldn't the A61 until Dreieck Nahetal an alternative route if you go through Frankfurt urban area at a time in between the rush hours.

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:36 AM   #7822
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have a question, since I'm not following in details all updates on bridge closures and else. I'm going from Netherlands to Würzburg next week.
I'll drive the same route next week but WÜ --> NL --> WÜ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There are numerous route combinations between A40 and A3 (A61, A3, A45 or even A7 (via Kassel) are viable routes) within 1 hour of "travel time without traffic"
Which of these routes have bridge closures or severe bottlenecks?
A40, A1 and A643 Rhine brigdes are partially closed. There are some construction sites on A3 b/n Frankfurt and Würzburg. If there's an accident you can easily get stuck in a 10-15km congestion. It usually happens in late afternoon (about every other day). A3 Cologne - Frankfurt is often in traffic reports.

I guess you'll start near Eindhoven, so I'd recommend A61. At Koblenz you can decide whether you'd like to take A48/A3 (some construction sites) or A61 (longer distance; ~15km).

A4/A45 is not an option because of the closed A1 Leverkusen Rhine bridge and general congestion risk around Cologne.
A40/A44/A7 is longer. A40 through Ruhr area is usually congested but it depends on the time of day. A44 is 2x2 and often congested. There are some construction sites on A7.

The latter could be an option because A7 is less congested and you could drive on high speed there.
What's your destination, WÜ downtown? If your destination is east of WÜ (e.g. Schweinfurt etc.), A7 could really be an option.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Suburbanist liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:40 PM   #7823
MichiH

A14 Schwerin - Magdeburg

Some news about A14 b/n A24 (Schwerin) and A2 (Magdeburg). Let's start with a short overview:
26km are in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Mecklenburg-West Pomerania; section 6 + 7).
32km are in Brandenburg, up to the Elbe river (section 3.2 + 4 + 5).
97km are in Sachsen-Anhalt (Saxony-Anhalt). The Saxony-Anhalt story is a mess. A 5.7km section is in service, all other sections are in planning stage (appeals etc.).

Let's focus on the northern sections:

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, section 7 is u/c (148 million €): A14: AK Schwerin – AS Grabow 16.2km (November 2012 to Late 2015) – ? – map
(plan approval procedure: February 2011 to April 2012; co-funded by EU)

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, section 6 is announced to begin soon (100 million €): A14: AS Grabow – AS Groß Warnow 9.8km (June 2015 to Late 2017) – ? – map
(plan approval procedure: 2011/12 to November 2012)

Brandenburg, section 5 is u/c (118 million €): A14: AS Groß Warnow – AS Karstädt 11.5km (October 2013 to Late 2015) – projectmap
(plan approval procedure: Early 2009 to March 2013; co-funded by EU)

Brandenburg, section 4 is still in planning stage. It has a length of about 17.5km, begins at Karstädt i/c and ends at Wittenberge i/c (map). The plan approval procedure began in April 2009 but a nature protection area is affected (birds; FFH). The DEGES is currently planning new routes but these affect some villages. Their inhabitants are not amused. There are 4 routes (2 north of Bentwisch village, 2 b/n Bentwisch and Lindenberg village), DEGES wants to find its favorite (Vorzugsvariante) by late 2016. See press release, news article, homepage of a citizens' group (there's a map showing old (purple) and a new (red) route). I think, a new plan approval procedure could begin 2018 at earliest.

It's announced that the plan approval order of Brandenburg/Sachsen-Anhalt section 3 (>10km; map; plan approval procedure began in January 2010, modification procedure (Tektur) began in October 2014) will be passed in late 2015. It includes the Elbe viaduct.

There are section 2.2, 2.1, 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2 (in service) and 1.1 in Sachsen-Anhalt.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Isek liked this post

Last edited by MichiH; May 2nd, 2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:19 PM   #7824
MichiH

A21 Kiel - Hamburg

A21: north of AS Nettelsee – south of Nettelsee 2km (February 2012 to Late 2017) – projectmap

source: KN-online.

The pic shows a temporary bat protection fence. The fence has a length of 1330m and costs 700,000 €. The fence will be removed in about 10 years when new bushes will be high enough.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 12:30 PM   #7825
detreinbek

Likes (Received): 27

The bats !!! A never ending story in Schleswig-Holstein. Same with the A 20 construction south from Bad Segeberg. We started with bridges for the forest animals, tunnels for the frogs and now fences for the bats. What will come next ??
detreinbek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 12:41 PM   #7826
MichiH

It's not only Schleswig-Holstein. It's whole Germany. And they refer to EU law........

Don't forget birds and bugs. All these creature are much more important than the damn useless human beings........

Billly, detreinbek, Isek, JuergenSchT liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2015, 01:47 PM   #7827
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Yep, but often many environmentalists are just people who use environment protection as a mechanism for their NIMBYism. (Which annoys me much more than "real" environmentalists)

Hopefully Hamburg will be chosen for the Olympic Games in 2024, because I hope that they will then invest in some road and railway infrastructure together with the fact that NIMBYism will be fought much faster. (E.g. the upgrading of the B404 to A21 and hopefully it pushes the western bypass of Hamburg a little bit. The A7+A1 around Hamburg are horrible on weekends)

detreinbek, JuergenSchT liked this post
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 02:51 PM   #7828
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
Yep, but often many environmentalists are just people who use environment protection as a mechanism for their NIMBYism. (Which annoys me much more than "real" environmentalists)
NIMBYs are only successful if there are environmental faults in the planning documents. The environmental issues are the instrument to delay the projects and make them more expensive.

A current example from Bavaria: B300 connects Regensburg/Ingolstadt to Augsburg. A90 was planned there in the 1970th. There is just one very short bypass missing, the bypass of Weichenried. It was planned to build a northern bypass and widen the neighboring sections to 2+1 (map). The plan approval procedure began in fall 2005 but it had to be cancel two years later because the A143 court decision showed that environmental issues must be considered more accurate, see press release. The planning documents have been completely revised, a new route is found, a new plan approval procedure could finally begin "soon", see news article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
Hopefully Hamburg will be chosen for the Olympic Games in 2024, because I hope that they will then invest in some road and railway infrastructure together with the fact that NIMBYism will be fought much faster. (E.g. the upgrading of the B404 to A21 and hopefully it pushes the western bypass of Hamburg a little bit. The A7+A1 around Hamburg are horrible on weekends)
I think the projects could be speed up but Olympic Games would also cost a lot. But I agree because I think Hamburg region really lacks of proper road infrastructure and there are adequate projects to solve the problem (compared to Ruhr area, Frankfurt, Stuttgart or Munich region which have no sufficient concepts).

detreinbek liked this post
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #7829
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
(compared to Ruhr area, Frankfurt, Stuttgart or Munich region which have no sufficient concepts).
How do come to that conclusion? Stuttgart, partly d'accord. Nordostring or better A45 would really help there, and Munich should at least build A95-A96 section of A99. But apart from that, I don't see the demand and usefulness of new motorways. All four regions have dozens of very needed widening projects in the pipe or at least in planning stage, they just lack federal funding.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #7830
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

What is happening on the Baustelle on BAB2 Near Kolenfeld ( nearby Hannover) ?

There is a bloody 45 minute traffic jam in both directions, but there wasn't a single soul working on the road yesterday, are those idiots doing anything to keep downtime to a minimum over there, or do they just enjoy screwing motorists over ? Took over an hour to get from Rehren to Hannover .

Looking on livetraffic now and there is major congestion there again .
When do they actually work on the road ?

Took 13 bloody hours to get from Rotterdam to Poznan yesterday because of the Baustelle rubbish in Germany and an accident later on.

EDIT:

Renovation works on a small 14km stretch, why on earth can't they do it at night or in the weekend ? Instead of losing down half the motorway for three bloody weeks.

//rant, perhaps I'm spoilt being used to roadworks being done in weekends or nights over here...

Last edited by snowdog; May 8th, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #7831
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Wait, I'm pretty sure yesterday that stretch of road was closed pretty much the entire day due to a deadly accident (truck ploughed into the back of the traffic jam caused by the Baustelle). Or am I mixing things up and was that 2 days ago?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #7832
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

My father asked me yesterday what was going on in that stretch when he was stuck there ( he left R'dam at 13.00, arrived in Warsaw at 4am :/ ), he didn't mention an accident on that stretch, just about ''them idiots who closed half the road and nobody working on it caused me to lose more than an hour there'' alongside some accident further on that cost him hours.

Accidents can happen, but I also remember recently when I went to Berlin, how rubbish they do the road works over there compared to over here. No intention whatsoever of avoiding closing down major roads in busy hours/days. 45 minute delay in both directions for a 14km stretch of works outside of rush hour is completely unacceptable.

detreinbek liked this post
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #7833
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

A2 was closed at around 4 AM and only reopened somewhere during/after evening rush-hour. A2 was closed from Ausfahrt Lauenau to whatever the next exit is called.

By any chance, does your father own an Audi?
https://instagram.com/p/2Yi4iHx17h/
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #7834
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
How do come to that conclusion? Stuttgart, partly d'accord. Nordostring or better A45 would really help there, and Munich should at least build A95-A96 section of A99. But apart from that, I don't see the demand and usefulness of new motorways. All four regions have dozens of very needed widening projects in the pipe or at least in planning stage, they just lack federal funding.
I wrote "lacks of proper road infrastructure" and "projects to solve the problem". Autobahn widenings are also projects to get better road infrastructure...

There was Stop&Go on A3 b/n AK Frankfurt and AS Hanau today (~ 4-6PM). I lost a lot of time. A3 was almost "empty" before and after, really wired .
Is there any adequate concept to fix the damn bottleneck? The current (and probably the future) demand plan (BVWP) contain 2x4 widening but the interchanges are the bottlenecks. The planning procedure is on snail's pace..... No advance at all in the past > 5 years. It's not just lack of money... Hesse authority is the best one in traffic management but not in planning.

In general, I prefer parallel 2x2 roads instead of 2x4 or even 2x5 roads.

Old May 9th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #7835
MichiH

There was a conference about Rhine bridges in North Rhine-Westphalia. 11 bridges are maintained by municipalities, 12 are Federal roads. See press release. It was just a talk about supporting municipalities blah blah....

But there's a link to a document showing all 23 NRW Rhine bridges with road number, name/location, year of construction, responsible (Baulastträger), Rhine-km, length of Rhine bridge, length including "Vorlandbrücken", bridge draft)

Isek liked this post
Old May 9th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #7836
MichiH

Toll

The new toll law passed the Bundesrat, see press release.

The Federal President, Mr. Gauck, must sign it next. Afterwards, tendering for operator can begin. The operator must establish and operate an E vignette system. The KBA (Federal Motor Transport Authority) must establish and operate a database ("Infrastrukturabgaberegister").

Old May 9th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #7837
MichiH

A8 near Pforzheim

Visualization of future A8 Enztal crossing near Pforzheim (OSM, remaining 4.8km section b/n Karlsruhe and Stuttgart which is not yet widened to 2x3).

The Baden-Württemberg Minister of Transport, Mr. Hermann (Green party), requested the Federal Minister of Transport, Mr. Dobrindt (CSU party) to provide funding for ensuring that works could begin as soon as possible. Preliminary works will start immediately though. Major projects like this need about 1-2 years for preparation. The construction period will be about 5 years. Costs: 147.3 million €. See press release.

SRC_100, Isek liked this post
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #7838
MichiH

B109 Anklam bypass

The last section of B109 Anklam bypass was opened on Friday 8th May (map). The final section (section no. 1) has a length of 1.8km. The plan approval order was passed in April 2010, construction works began in July 2011. Costs: > 15 million €.

Section no. 2 (2.5km; map) and section no. 3 (2.8km; map) were opened in 1999 / 2002. Total bypass length: 7.1km. Total costs: 25.6 million € (13.85 million € Federal budget, 11 million € ERDF budget (EU), 0.5 million € agriculture and environment office, 0.1 million € MV state, 0.1 million € Anklam municipality). See press release and news article.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #7839
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Visualization of future A8 Enztal crossing near Pforzheim.
That's a very special part of the A8. I always thought that widening will solved by building a big bridge.

So wich section will be the last that is 2x3 b/w Munich and Karlsruhe? I guess Albaufstieg.

They sould also think about a 2x4 or 2x5 b/w Rutesheim and Kirchheim. Maybe also separating the long distance traffig from the regional traffic would be an option: 2x2 regional and 2x3 long distance.
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #7840
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
That's a very special part of the A8. I always thought that widening will solved by building a big bridge.
IIRC it was an option long ago.

Quote:
So wich section will be the last that is 2x3 b/w Munich and Karlsruhe? I guess Albaufstieg.
Yep, I reported about it a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
They sould also think about a 2x4 or 2x5 b/w Rutesheim and Kirchheim. Maybe also separating the long distance traffig from the regional traffic would be an option: 2x2 regional and 2x3 long distance.
Yes and no. Widenings are planned but there won't be a separation b/n local/regional and transit traffic. I think 80% is local/regional traffic near Stuttgart.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau