daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #7921
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

RLP has the B9 still unlimited in large sections... near that Worms interchange with B47 it's 120 km/h though.
A61 near the B47 interchange is also 130 km/h limited, wouldn't make much sense to have an unlimited speed connection between the two at those points.

Was mostly thinking of the section east of Worms though. The bridge and that interconnection mess on the eastern entrance of Worms will bring it down to 50-70 km/h as a stopover anyway.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #7922
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN online
Carriageway on posts
Bog lentils pose new problems to the roadworks of the B404 upgrading (to A21)
The ground causes problems because it's very soft and unstable due to an organism called bog lentils (in German: Moorlinse).
So the next section will be grounded on posts. At the end of April 50 concrete posts with a length up to 26 meters were rammed into the ground.
After a pause they did load tests to calculate the amount of posts they will need.
It'll be 640 of them western of the B404 and another 800 eastern.

Due to the ground conditions a section of a half-done bypass (L49) already got damaged.

Nevertheless the aim is to finish the whole 5,1km till 2017. (The first section is already done with a length of around 2 kilometers)
It's very likely that the costs will be higher than estimated, but there's no up to date calculation available.

source: http://www.kn-online.de/News/Aktuell...n-auf-Pfaehlen
Still 23kms till the capital of Schleswig-Holstein and who knows what problems they will face the next years.
Sadly enough the Nordöl gas station will be demolished soon. It always had fair prices compared to the Autobahn gas stations 28km over.

Also yesterday there was an apparently unnecessary speed limit of 100km/h from Bornhöved onwards (other direction A21 to AS Bornhöved, too). Hopefully it's not permanent.

Another thing that I noticed some time ago: Google Maps already signs parts of the B404 as A21 (and there are also undoon parts of the A28 which are already signed. Very strange)

--
When I did my trip from south germany to north germany yesterday, I tried to get some pictures of construction sites along the A7, but sadly they are all rubbish. :-/
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #7923
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
(and there are also undoon parts of the A28 which are already signed. Very strange)
A28 is completed!

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #7924
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A28 is completed!
Typo. ;-) I meant A26, although the Google Maps Android app doesn't show it anymore (but I got a screenshot)
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #7925
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The Netherlands built this 'motorway on stilts' as well. A27 south of Gorinchem is an example. They entire motorway is built on piles driven into the ground in the early 1960s.

Now I understand why it takes so long to construct a few kilometers of A21 in that area. 5 years for a six kilometer segment of rural motorway.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #7926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kreuz Schwerin

The Schwerin motorway interchange reopened to traffic yesterday, after A14 was closed for 2 years to reconstruct the interchange from a trumpet to cloverleaf. The cost was € 36 million.

https://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendung...azin30182.html

Interestingly, they already sign Dresden at this point, not Magdeburg. Dresden is nearly 400 kilometers away.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Moravian, SRC_100, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old June 27th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #7927
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

News

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
December 2014: A8 2x3 widening East of Karlsbad - West of Pfinztal viaduct (?km; OSM; u/c since August 2009)
A8 source (traffic will use 2x2 lanes from tomorrow but 3rd lanes will be opened with final subsection in late 2015)
The official A8 opening ceremony will be tomorrow (19th June). It's currently still 2x2.
It's 2x3 since 26th June 2015 (source).

Quote:
Quote:
A14: AS Grabow – AS Groß Warnow 9.8km (June 2015 to Late 2017) – ? – map (MV; plan approval: 2011 – November 12; funded)
The A14 groundbreaking ceremony will be on 23rd June 2015 (101 million €), see press release.
Happened, see press release.

My lengths of the u/c A14 section were wrong. I measured them on OSM: AK Schwerin - AS Grabow should be 14.4km, AS Grabow to AS Groß Warnow should be 11.5km and AS Groß Warnow to AS Karstädt schould be 10.8km.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A nice aerial photo of the new Bochum-West motorway interchange. This is where A40 and new A448 connect. A448 is an upgrade of the existing southern ring road of Bochum. The project will be officially inaugurated on 22 June.
Correct but is A40 already 2x3 in service since today . I've no idea when the Bochum ring road will be officially rededicated to A448 (it was announced to happen in 2017) but it's already signposted.
5.0km b/n AD Bochum-West (A40) and AS Bochum-South seem to be rededicated from city street to A448. The first section of new A448 just west of AK Bochum/Witten is announced to be opened late 2016. The remaining new A448 section is delayed and announced to be opened by mid 2018. I guess the remaining ring road section (1.8km) will be rededicated when this section is opened. See press release no. 1, press release no. 2, news article and private website with some pics.

Quote:
Quote:
30th October 2014: B45 Nidderau bypass, 2nd section (0.8km; OSM; u/c since September 2009)
The Nidderau bypass was opened on 30th October 2014 (source).
The last section (3.9km; map) of B45 Niddeau bypass was opened on 22nd June 2015, see press release. In total, the bypass has a length of 7.3km and costs of 40.2 million €.

Quote:
B47: AS Worms (A61) – AS Worms-West 2.0km (? to ?) [2nd c/w] – ? – map (RP; plan approval: ? – July 1973; approval didn't expire b/c 1st c/w is build)
B47: AS Worms-West – AS Worms-South 2.3km (? to ?) – projectmap (RP; plan approval: 1977 – canceled; Late 2007 – January 2011; complaints rejected)
B47: AS Rosengarten-West – east of Rosengarten 3.6km (? to ?) – projectmap (HE; plan approval: December 2009 – Mid 2015 (soon!))
B47: east of Rosengarten – AS Bürstadt-East 5.2km (? to ?) [2nd c/w] – projectmap (HE; plan approval: ? – December 1971; approval didn't expire b/c 1st c/w is build)
B47: AS Bürstadt-East – west of AS Lorch-West 3.0km (? to ?) – projectmap (HE; plan approval: December 2010 – still in progress; completion of entire project)
News article about Hesse part of B47: The Federal Ministry of Transport announced that the plan approval order of Rosengarten bypass should be passed in July 2015 but complaints are already announced. An additional plan approval procedure for Bürstadt bypass widening is required. The documents of Bürstadt-Lorch widening are currently modified, an additional plan approval procedure (that means some documents are published again) should begin in summer 2016.

Quote:
B51: AS Münster-Warendorfer Straße (B481) – AS Münster-Wolbecker Straße 2.7km (Mid 2015 to 2020?) – ? – map (NW; plan approval: December 2005 – September 2011; funded)
Groundbreaking ceremony took place on 22nd June 2015. It's announced to be completed by late 2018. See press release no. 1, press release no. 2 and news article (only the news article reports about the estimated completion date!)

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #7928
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Baustelle

There are 366 road works longer than 4 days in Germany during the summer vacation. Beware!

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschla...utobahnen.html
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #7929
detreinbek

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
There are 366 road works longer than 4 days in Germany during the summer vacation. Beware!

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschla...utobahnen.html
OMG !!! Better I take the train...... I am not courious for congestions

Last edited by detreinbek; June 28th, 2015 at 08:44 PM.
detreinbek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #7930
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I love the seriousness of that infographic. If one didn't read German language maybe they would suspect it was infections of Ebola virus or something very alarming
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #7931
detreinbek

Likes (Received): 27

A 20 River Elbe Tunnel

Are there any news about the A 20 tunnel between Glückstadt and Wischhafen?
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #7932
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I drove through France twice this month, through the entire country, from Belgium to Spain and vice versa. I encountered only two work zones over a distance of nearly 2000 kilometers.

According to the infograph, there is a Baustelle on the Autobahn every 35 km on average.
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #7933
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
According to the infograph, there is a Baustelle on the Autobahn every 35 km on average.
Yes, but it is not distributed equally. E.g. on A3 between Wiesbaden and Montabaur (actually Kreuz Wiesbaden and Dreieck Dernbach), 87km, there is 5 of them.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #7934
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Yes, but it is not distributed equally.
That's usually the case with an average
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #7935
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

The "zur Ferienzeit" on the infograph is funny. In Baden-Württemberg for example school summer vacations don't even start until July 30th, so basically all "summer vacation construction sites" are after the timeframe cited.

About 34 or so in the state this summer vacation instead of those 25. Mostly on A81 (8), A6 (7) and A5 (7).
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 09:07 AM   #7936
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
The Netherlands built this 'motorway on stilts' as well. A27 south of Gorinchem is an example. They entire motorway is built on piles driven into the ground in the early 1960s.

Now I understand why it takes so long to construct a few kilometers of A21 in that area. 5 years for a six kilometer segment of rural motorway.
Not silts but mainly peat! The problem is the long lasting time dependent deformation of soft clays or peat. One very popular construction method is pre-loading. This done by dumping a dam of sand along the motorway. The dam weight causes the soft soil layer to consolidate and compress. After the removal of the dam the motorway is constructed. The time of pre-loading may be up to 2 or 3 years in extreme cases depending on the thickness of the soft soil layer. But most likely methods are used to shorten the drainage path of the pore water that moves out of the soft soil layer (e.g. vertical drains) resulting in a shorter time for soil consolidation.

Another method is to not load the soft soil layer by additional loads. In this case the loads are carried by piles to a deeper firm soil layer. This is much more costly than the pre-loading method.

A method that regarding costs may be in between the above mentioned methods is soil improvement by deep mixing, stone columns or columns of lime and cement respectively. Sometimes water legal issues do not allow this method.
Old July 5th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #7937
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

A video of the noise-reduction measures, widening and tunneling on A3 in Wüzrburg: http://www.a3-wuerzburg.de/fileadmin..._1280x720p.mp4

Attus liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #7938
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Sign on the A20 Rostock eastbound. Very informative, but do we have to know that there is an airport in Berlin already in Rostock 230km away? , at a quick look you might think that the sign shows the way to the Rostock airport.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #7939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think it is pointing to Rostock-Laage Airport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostoc...3Laage_Airport

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Autostädter liked this post
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #7940
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
at a quick look you might think that the sign shows the way to the Rostock airport.
And most probably it IS Rostock Airport wich is located near to A19.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau