daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #7941
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
And most probably it IS Rostock Airport wich is located near to A19.
Then why is the airport ideogram next to "Berlin" and not "Rostock"? Signage mistake?

NordikNerd, Wilhem275 liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:58 AM   #7942
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Easy to explain: You're driving from, let's say, Lübeck toward the east. Before the interchange 'Kreuz Rostock' you'll see this shield which tells you if you turn right, you'll get to Rostock Airport or even Berlin. If you turn left, you'll reach Rostock.

Suburbanist liked this post
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #7943
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

A26 Stade - Hamburg

The second carriageway of A26 between Horneburg and Jork (direction Hamburg) will open to traffic in July.

The first carriageway opened on 28 November 2014, only in the direction of Stade. They were afraid the B73/K26 intersection in Neukloster wouldn't have sufficient capacity to handle all motorway traffic.

http://www.strassenbau.niedersachsen...89&_psmand=135

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #7944
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by miumiuwonwon View Post
Easy to explain: You're driving from, let's say, Lübeck toward the east. Before the interchange 'Kreuz Rostock' you'll see this shield which tells you if you turn right, you'll get to Rostock Airport or even Berlin. If you turn left, you'll reach Rostock.
That still doesn't make the sign less confusing. Rostock airport and Berlin are clearly different destinations and should be marked as such...
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #7945
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Did any German states other than Baden-Württemberg institute state-wide speed limits due to the heat last week, i.e. not specific to whether a road was already damaged?

I know Saxony-Anhalt apparently instituted one on certain sections of A9 and A14, and that Bavaria did so on sections of A3, A92 and A93 after these sections were already upwelling.

Baden-Württemberg temporarily set a 80 km/h speed limit on all Autobahn routes in the state with concrete surfacing from July 3rd to July 8th. Motorcyclists were warned to avoid these routes entirely if possible. Affected about 400 km of the 1054 km network.
Reason was multiple sudden cracks (lifting one side by up to 30cm) due to heat in excess of 40°C on the surface, primarily on the A5, with some cars slightly damaged.

In 2013 similar conditions in Bavaria led to multiple accidents with injuries and one fatal crash, hence why such measures were taken this time.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #7946
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I am so surprised and still can't understand what is happening there to make the road melt. Is it insufficient depth of gravel under the road or something?
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #7947
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I am so surprised and still can't understand what is happening there to make the road melt. Is it insufficient depth of gravel under the road or something?
This article may help you understand how pavement blowups occur.
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #7948
kato2k8

That article is about asphalt upwellings though. Those pretty much don't occur in Germany, mostly since unlike apparently Texas we have proper drainage.

With concrete slabs it's more like this:

1. Concrete slab under heat expands horizontally into the gaps between slabs.
2. Once gaps are filled, the slab is bent upwards with further expansion
3. Slab breaks at some point.

Even if the slab doesn't break at some point a concrete surface layer on top of the slab will also not bear the shear forces and crack open along a fault line. The pressure from cars driving over the developing crack increases the development of this fault line.

This picture of a crack on the A5 on July 3rd shows this pretty nicely since you can also vaguely see the relative ends of the slabs and how the crack is about in the middle between them:

Old July 13th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #7949
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

The German Betam company is insolvent. It's the former road building company of Bilfinger group. It has 450 employees. Most of the construction works were stopped about two weeks ago. Source. Betam is involvent in some construction sites:

A3 widening near Wertheim (building of 3 bridges; 3.5 Mio € contract)
A6 widening AK Nuremberg-South - AK Nuremberg-East (31 Mio €)
A7 renovation Gollhofen - Uffenheim (25 Mio €)
A24 renovation AK Hamburg-East - SH/MV border (10 Mio €; contract was already canceld by the Federal Ministry of Transport in June)
A33 Borgholzhausen
A43 widening Recklinghausen - Herne (8 Mio €)
A44 renovation Werl - Soest (7.1 Mio €)
A61 renovation AK Frankenthal - AK Ludwigshafen (4.7 Mio €)
B51 OU Konz-Könen (9.8 Mio €; competitor complainted the bidding was noneconomical; source)

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #7950
kato2k8

A6, A44 -> Betam got a deadline until which to restart work, otherwise cancellation
A61 -> contract was also cancelled in June after work ceased (like A24).

A3, A7, A33, A43, B51 -> no deadlines, no cancellation so far (most of these sites are due to be finished in October)
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #7951
MichiH

A26: AS Horneburg – AS Jork 4.6km (Summer 2006 to Mid July 2015) [direction Hamburg]projectmap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The second carriageway of A26 between Horneburg and Jork (direction Hamburg) will open to traffic in July.

The first carriageway opened on 28 November 2014, only in the direction of Stade. They were afraid the B73/K26 intersection in Neukloster wouldn't have sufficient capacity to handle all motorway traffic.
Should be opened by the end of this week (Source). For cars and motorbikes only, trucks will still be banned. There will be no official ceremony.

A71: Etzleben – AS Sömmerda-East 11.4km (June 2010 to Late August 2015) – projectmap

The opening will be in late August (or maybe early September). Source.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #7952
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Then why is the airport ideogram next to "Berlin" and not "Rostock"? Signage mistake?
It's because the airport symbol is independent of the Berlin destination. It's just next to Berlin because it fits.

It's obvious to me at least...
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #7953
kato2k8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
It's obvious to me at least...
First thing that came to mind for me was "kinda early for advertising BER... both by distance and due to the fact that it won't be operational until like 2030".
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #7954
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A26: AS Horneburg – AS Jork 4.6km (Summer 2006 to Mid July 2015) [direction Hamburg]projectmap
Should be opened by the end of this week (Source). For cars and motorbikes only, trucks will still be banned. There will be no official ceremony.
But there's an official press release that it will be opened on Friday, 17th July 2015 ~ 5PM.

Old July 16th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #7955
MichiH

A49 Kassel - Gießen

A49: AS Neuental – AS Schwalmstadt 11.8km (March 2011 to 2020) – projectmap

Quote:
A49: AS Schwalmstadt – AS Stadtallendorf-North 13.3km (? to ?) – projectmap (HE; plan approval: ? – January 2012; complaints withdrawn)
A49: AS Stadtallendorf-North – AD Ohmtal (A5) 17.4km (? to ?) – projectmap (HE; plan approval: ? – May 2012; complaints pending)
The Minister President of Hesse, Mr. Bouffier (CDU party), the Federal Minister of Transport, Mr. Dobrindt (CSU party) and the SPD party speaker on transportation policy, Mr. Bartol, came to an agreement about financing of the remaining A49 sections in Hesse. The missing 120 million € (76 million € were already be funded since 2010) for the u/c section will be funded by the Federal budget. The last two sections will be financed by a PPP project (I think the construction costs are about 370 million €). See press release of Mr. Bouffier.

I read about an estimated completion date ("could be 2021") of the entire A49 but I think that's just wishful thinking...

Old July 16th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #7956
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

will the federal government also bring more money to finance A14 Stendhal - Ludwiglust ?

What is the general opinion of German drivers about possibility of tolls on new Autobahn, if that can accelerate their construction?
Old July 16th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #7957
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
will the federal government also bring more money to finance A14 Stendhal - Ludwiglust ?
Why? All sections with building permit are already u/c. Construction time: 2 years. In general, the politicians always claim that A14 (Magdeburg - Stendal - Ludwigslust/Schwerin) "is funded" (will get money as soon as permits are complete).

Old July 17th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #7958
kato2k8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What is the general opinion of German drivers about possibility of tolls on new Autobahn, if that can accelerate their construction?
The pro-toll camp in Germany (about 40-45%) is typically divided into one camp that only supports tolls if they benefit infrastructure (25-30%) and one camp that generally sees it as beneficial for traffic shaping (around 15%).
The other 55-60% in Germany do not support tolls at all. Typically divided into one camp categorically anti-toll (about 15%) and one that could be convinced to support a toll system in which they don't have to pay (40-45%).
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #7959
MichiH

Quote:

Quote:
But there's an official press release that it will be opened on Friday, 17th July 2015 ~ 5PM.
It happened this afternoon (source).

Quote:
A44: AS Waldkappel – Hoheneiche 7.2km (Spring 2015 to ?) – projectmap (HE; plan approval: September 2002 – October 2011; complaints rejected; funded)
Construction works should begin in fall 2015 (source).

Quote:
B10: AS Godramstein – AS Landau-North (A65) 4.1km (? to ?) [2nd c/w] – projectmap (RP; plan approval: ? – September 2010; complaints pending; rendition of judgment on 1st July 2015)
Complaints were rejected, state will begin construction planning and will wait for funding (source).

Old July 18th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #7960
BEE2

Likes (Received): 152

Is Germany the birth place of highway system starting during the period of the Third Reich?
BEE2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau