daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #7961
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
That still doesn't make the sign less confusing. Rostock airport and Berlin are clearly different destinations and should be marked as such...
Well... The "airport" pictogram typically leads to to the nearest airport for passenger traffic. When driving at the outskirts of Rostock, it is self evident whether the airport in question is Rostock or Berlin.

In ambiguous cases, the name of the airport is displayed in the signs.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #7962
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE2 View Post
Is Germany the birth place of highway system starting during the period of the Third Reich?
No.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Kanadzie liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #7963
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

To expand upon Michi's post a little bit, you already had the Italian Autostrade as a going concern starting in the 1920s, as well as some early New York Parkways which are Interstates still (!). The Reichsautobahn was larger in scope and ambition, and had some more advanced features, but as a system of facilitating mass motorization on limited-access roads it wasn't the first.

Klausenburg, detreinbek liked this post
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #7964
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Likes (Received): 649

And Autobahnen were already built before the Nazis' rise to power.

detreinbek liked this post
bavarian urbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #7965
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian urbanist View Post
And Autobahnen were already built before the Nazis' rise to power.
Exactly. The first German motorways were built before 1933.
It is true though, that the network was extremely expanded from 1933 on.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #7966
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

AVUS was a race track which was incorporated into the Autobahn system at a later point. Many people don't consider this a true Autobahn at that time. After that, A555 from Köln to Bonn was much more a public Autobahn than AVUS, but did not have divided roadways. The rest of the early Autobahns were built during the Third Reich. They built the Reichsautobahn system with motorway standards (except for shoulders).

The early Italian autostrade were limited-access toll roads, but cannot be considered a motorway in the 1920s and 1930s. They were usually only one wide single carriageway and historical photos shows not all access was controlled through interchanges. The first motorway-standard autostrade wasn't built until the 1950s, when Germany already had some 3,900 kilometers of 2x2 Autobahn.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

darko06, Rohne liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #7967
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

I guess the first true motorway was in New York then...
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #7968
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New York built a lot of parkways, starting in the early 1920s, but they gradually evolved into what could be considered a motorway. It probably wasn't until the mid-1930s that they were completed grade-separated, around the same time when Germany opened A5 Darmstadt - Frankfurt.
Old July 18th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #7969
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
time when Germany opened A5 Darmstadt - Frankfurt.
The groundbreaking ceremony was on 23rd September 1933 and it opened on 19th May 1935.

Milestones
- 1,000km: 27th September 1936
- 2,000km: 17th December 1937
- 3,000km: 15th December 1938

3.893km Autobahn were completed in 1945.

Source

----------------------

Another stats starts 1950.

The Western Germany Autobahn network had a length of 2,128km on 1st January 1950.

Milestones
- 3,000km: 1963
- 4,000km: 1969
- 5,000km: 1972
- 6,000km: 1975
- 7,000km: 1978
- 8,000km: 1983

The Western Germany Autobahn network had a length of 8,959km on 1st January 1991.
The Eastern Germany Autobahn network had a length of 1,895km on 1st January 1991.
In total: 10,854km

- 11,000km: 1992
- 12,000km: 2002

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old July 18th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #7970
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

^ The next 50 years should be about maintenance.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #7971
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Two pictures I took yesterday of the A94 under construction near Dorfen:

Unbelievable how slow construction is going here.

Suburbanist, ChrisZwolle, SRC_100, sedef4o liked this post
Des no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #7972
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Well, compared to how long we had to wait for it... It's all relative, I guess
What's really dragging me down a bit is the fact that the A3 is partly limited to 60(sic!) km/h on two rather long stretches between Regensburg and Deggendorf because of construction that should have been done ten years ago. 80 would be just as safe and a lot less annoying, I think.
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #7973
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Two pictures I took yesterday of the A94 under construction near Dorfen:
Unbelievable how slow construction is going here.
Only the 287m Lappachtalbrücke is funded and u/c. Construction works began in 2012 but there's no need to hurry because the road and the remaining bridges will be implemented as PPP project and the PPP contract is not yet signed.

Old July 19th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #7974
MichiH

Rumors say that the Federal Minister of Transport, Mr. Dobrindt, will publish an investment program on Monday. BamS reports that 1.5 billion € are for eliminating bottlenecks, 700 million € for new roads and 500 million € for renovation. In addition, the bridge renovation program will be expanded by 1.5 billion €.

Top projects for funding are (according to BamS article):
- A7 AD Hamburg-Northwest - AS Hamburg-Stellingen (2x4 widening; 4.2km; map; 181 million € funded; plan approval order: August 2013; already u/c since June 2014 but only 80 million € were funded in 2014; to be completed by 2018)
- A61 AS Rheinböllen – T+R Hunsrück (2x3 widening; 7.6km; map; 51 million € funded; plan approval order: September 2014; total costs: 125 million €; construction time: 6-8 years)
- A99 AK Munich-North - AS Aschheim/Ismaning (2x4 widening; 7.2km; map; 60 million € funded; plan approval order: January 2013)
- B6n Köthen-East - A9 (2+1 road; 15.2km; map; 44 milion € funded, preliminary works were already funded in 2014; plan approval order: December 2012)

One project is in the North, one in the West, one in the South and one in the East .

I think it should be the 2016 budget investment (Bundeshaushalt 2016).

Old July 19th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #7975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I suspect it may be a one-time infusion of cash? It would be great if this was a structural increase of investment (annually).
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #7976
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I took an impromptu road trip this afternoon, after my brother called if I could pick him up in Hamburg. He was hitchhiking back home after some kind of team game to hitchhike to Hamburg, check out Reeperbahn and then hitchhike back on Sunday. But he couldn't get any ride the entire morning (no trucks, only cars with children in the back seat).

As Hamburg is a nearly 800 kilometer round-trip for me, we decided to meet somewhat closer, in Bremen. So I picked my brother and his friend up at Bremen Hauptbahnhof. They have an elevated highway running through there. The kind that most hard core urbanists despise

It was pouring rain the entire way. I drove via Cloppenburg, got onto the A1. A1 has concrete pavement, old-style slabs, but quite smooth. However, with rain the visibility is almost zero. People reacted very nervous on brake lights and the speed wasn't much more than 80 km/h despite traffic not being particularly heavy. At Wildeshausen-Nord I had enough of it, and took B213 to Delmenhorst.

The A28 from Bremen to Leer has been nicely renovated in most parts, with smooth asphalt and new guardrails. There was only one Baustelle at Westerstede (1 lane, 60 km/h).

I still don't like E233. It is usually better on Sundays as there are fewer trucks, but there were still enough trucks to make it an annoying drive, with traffic going from 60 to 100 to 60 all the time. But it is significantly shorter than the Autobahn route via Leer & Oldenburg.
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #7977
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I suspect it may be a one-time infusion of cash? It would be great if this was a structural increase of investment (annually).
It should be the 2016 budget (Bundeshaushalt) but I'm not sure at all. In the past about 3 years there was only funding for ongoing projects but no new projects were funded this way. There was always an "infrastructure increase program" etc. And it's just a big mess because the projects were not published in a list but local politicians announced that they are the best and fighted so hard that they finally persuaded the Federal Minister of Transport to fund the project....................

It's a little bit different this year. I read that it's really the 2016 budget, no special program.... And yes, investment amount will rise 2016-2018. 2013: 2.6 B €, 2018: 3.9 B €. But there are so many announcements, different amounts...... I'm sick of it all. It's money. I'm happy about each project on any list for funding.

I hope that Dobrindt will publish a list tomorrow. Maybe you remember the damn posts I made one year ago....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=6816
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=6817
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=6823
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=6824

The first official list was published in December: http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/18/035/1803528.pdf (page 8)

Old July 20th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #7978
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Would the German public accept an extra fuel tax to finance new road construction?
Old July 20th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #7979
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Would the German public accept an extra fuel tax to finance new road construction?
I dont think an extra fuel tax is necessary, they should just use the existing road tax for roads instead of for other things.

SRC_100, Max BGF, JuergenSchT liked this post
Des no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #7980
bavarian urbanist
Verdens Beste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
We would, most probably(after some grumbling). It's just that our political elite has become too fearful of any kind of unpopular decisions within the country(Mrs. Merkel has no problem with shoving it down Europe's throat, though...). And of course, lobbyists like the ADAC would surely prefer a tax on transit in order to finance new roads.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau