daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #8001
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Italian neo-graduated political science student challenges German government against the European Commission claiming that the implementation of a foreigners-only vignette violates the principle of non-discrimination according to the Treaty of Lisbon. The introducton of this measure would have granted 500 million EUR yearly to German government. The EC opened a infringement procedure against Germany.
http://www.lettera43.it/politica/ann...3675180147.htm
Good job. Compliance with EU principles shouldn't be enforced only against weaker countries.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #8002
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nordrhein-Westfalen and Rheinland-Pfalz also get a small share (NRW only € 128 million!)

But the problem is on their side, they do not have many 'shovel ready' projects due to lack of planning capacity.
Now I wonder what would be the priorities in NRW. My daily commute is fairly OK, only real traffic I see under normal circumstances is in the city itself.

Of course A3 should be 2x5 lanes around Cologne and there are tons of really really bad interchanges.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #8003
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

The lack of high capacity & high speed interchanges in Germany is indeed notable. There are many Autobahn to Autobahn interchanges where you can drive only 40 km/h. They did construct a few flyovers or direct connectors here and there but they are still relatively rare.

Major interchanges like the Frankfurter Kreuz, Kreuz Leverkusen, Kreuz Oberhausen, Bremer Kreuz, Hermsdorfer Kreuz, Kreuz Walldorf, Wiesbadener Kreuz or Kreuz Köln-West are still cloverleafs.

At least nearly all Autobahn-to-Autobahn cloverleafs have collector lanes, there aren't too many locations where traffic merges directly on the Autobahn from a cloverleaf loop.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Bender liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #8004
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Now I wonder what would be the priorities in NRW.
There are a lot of projects (Autobahn only):

A1 widening b/n Osnabrück (A30) and Kamen (A2)
A1 Rhine bridge Leverkusen (new bridge is quite urgent + widening)
A1 completion in Eifel
A3 2x4 widening
A40 Rhine bridge Duisburg (new bridge is quite urgent + widening)
A40 2x3 widening through Dortmund
A43 2x3 widening b/n A42 and A44/A448
A44 2x3 widening Dortmund - Kassel
A45 2x3 widening Dortmund - Gießen (including new bridges which is quite urgent)
A46 completion of 2x3 widening west of Sonnborn
A46 Hemer-Arnsberg
A52 2x3 widening Mönchengladbach - Neersen
A52 Gladback - Essen
A57 2x3 widening Moers - Cologne
A59 2x3/2x4 widening Cologne - Bonn
A445 completion

But here's the official priority list of the NRW Ministry of Transport which was updated last week: http://www.mbwsv.nrw.de/verkehr/stra...nung/index.php (press release).

The "new" NRW government decided in 2011 which projects should be planned "prior" (green) or should be stopped for the time being (red). Some projects were not assigned in 2011 but they did it now.

The stopped Autobahn projects are: new A44 Ruhralleetunnel Essen, new A46 Hemer-Arnsberg, new A52 b/n A42 and A40 Essen, A57 widening Cologne-Dormagen, A61 widening Wanlo-MG. I think A46 is not completely stopped.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Deadeye Reloaded, Bender liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #8005
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Major interchanges like the Frankfurter Kreuz, Kreuz Leverkusen, Kreuz Oberhausen, Bremer Kreuz, Hermsdorfer Kreuz, Kreuz Walldorf, Wiesbadener Kreuz or Kreuz Köln-West are still cloverleafs.
Kreuz Walldorf is currently planned to be rebuilt, mostly because the A5 bridge over the A6 has to be replaced due to age. Peak load on the interchange is supposedly somewhere around 400,000 vehicles per day passing the interchange in total today (longtime average 350-370,000/day).

Rebuilt version, full options taken as currently planned (reoriented so North is up):

(far more detailed PDF here)

The flyovers are mostly planned to minimize the new A5 bridge. Even with that it's still an almost 40-meter wide bridge with 4+4 lanes with a 4m-wide central divider bridging over almost 90 meters with 12 parallel lanes of the A6 and the interchange...

Planned investment is around 140 million just for the interchange, construction likely around 2019. Additionally AS Walldorf about one km north will be expanded with a second eastern offramp and temporary widening to up to 4+5 lanes; the connection between AK Walldorf and AS Walldorf will be widened to 3+3 lanes.

Last edited by kato2k8; July 25th, 2015 at 12:51 AM.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #8006
MichiH

If memory serves.... green = reconstruction planned

Quote:

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #8007
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

Luise-Kiesselbach-Tunnel

Today opening party at Luise-Kiesselbach-Tunnel in Munich including Tunnel-Biergarten.

Open for traffic northbound on monday, southbound a few days later.
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #8008
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Kreuz Leverkusen
Leverkusen has now a major issue. The Rhine bridge of A1 is closed for vehicles over 3.5t (and it will remain so for some years). So all heavy trucks, coming on A1 westwards must change to A3 at Kreuz Leverkusen. That intersection was obviously not designed to carry a lot of trucks changing from A1 westwards to A3 southwards.
And actually there are some constructing/maintenance works at Kreuz Leverkusen, so that this intersection is nowadays one of the most critical points of NRW motorway network.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #8009
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A59 2x3/2x4 widening Cologne - Bonn
2×4 between the intersections Bonn-Nordost (A59×A565) and St. Augustin West (A59×A560) would be quite crucial. It's only 3km.

A565, too, is always heavily congested. It has the highest AADT of all the 2×2 motorways of Germany, in the city center over 100,000. But it can not be widened there because the area is densely built. Possibly the intersection Bonn Nord (A565×A555) could be developed (it is usually congested), but it, too, is not easy.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #8010
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Major interchanges like the Frankfurter Kreuz,
at least it's a modified cloverleaf without the need to cross lanes anymore when changing directions. The problem they had when rebuilding the interchange during late 90s, was that they could not dig (high speed rail tunnels for ICE trains directly beneath) nor build much higher structures than before (approaching path of nearby Airport). But I still hope they will find a better solution anytime at least for the heavily used 2laned Kassel-Würzburg ramp where traffic has to break down to only 40km/h now. For a start I would be happy if they widened the areas of A3 and A5 directly adjacent to the interchange which are mostly lacking shoulders and could need at least one additional lane per direction to ease sorting.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #8011
kato2k8

Another one?

Personally I perceive Frankfurter Kreuz as rather oversized, although that may be because I have a 90k+ AADT highway in 2+2 and gridlock on commuter hours next door...
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #8012
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
at least it's a modified cloverleaf without the need to cross lanes anymore when changing directions. The problem they had when rebuilding the interchange during late 90s, was that they could not dig (high speed rail tunnels for ICE trains directly beneath) nor build much higher structures than before (approaching path of nearby Airport).
Ah, I always wondered why they made this design with the loops "unwound" with many small grade seperations instead of a more common directional ramp
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #8013
Max BGF
Alphaist

Likes (Received): 15082

Don´t like 4-lane-Autobahn. Kills Highspeed. Or are there any 4-lane sections without speed limit?
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #8014
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Although the Frankfurter Kreuz is reportedly the busiest motorway interchange in Germany, I suppose the regional network of motorways and expressways helps reducing the amount of traffic that needs to turn off and use one of the loop ramps.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #8015
kato2k8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max BGF View Post
Don´t like 4-lane-Autobahn. Kills Highspeed. Or are there any 4-lane sections without speed limit?
4+4 with no speed limit ? The entire A5 from Frankfurt to Darmstadt and the A3 from Frankfurt to Offenbach.

2+2 with no speed limit ? More the norm than the exception for BABs really, at least in the South, with a couple unlimited B roads on top...

Max BGF liked this post
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #8016
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max BGF View Post
The A5 from Darmstadt to Frankfurt.

Old July 25th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #8017
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
2×4 between the intersections Bonn-Nordost (A59×A565) and St. Augustin West (A59×A560) would be quite crucial. It's only 3km.
Correct. I read about the project two years ago. Six houses must be demolished. The plan approval procedure could begin but it was delayed due to the shortage of manpower. Costs: 35 million €, completion: >= 2019. Map (just that everyone knows where it is located).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
A565, too, is always heavily congested. It has the highest AADT of all the 2×2 motorways of Germany, in the city center over 100,000. But it can not be widened there because the area is densely built. Possibly the intersection Bonn Nord (A565×A555) could be developed (it is usually congested), but it, too, is not easy.
A565 is only planned to be widened to 2x3 b/n AD Bonn-Nordost (A59) and AS Bonn-Beuel. Westbound carriageway already features 3 lanes since November 2005. Map.

Old July 26th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #8018
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
The A5 from Darmstadt to Frankfurt.

322 km/h on a public road. Legally only possible in Deutschland!

May God bless the German Autobahns!
What Is Love?

definitivo, Maadeuurija liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #8019
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

Opening of Luise-Kiesselbach-Tunnel

The party yesterday was disappointing. At half time there was no food to get. I went home hungry
It was very crowded, police controlled traffic:

01traffic
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

Waiting at the entrance:

02waiting
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

Entering tunnel:

03entrance
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

04sos
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

06sos
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

Light show:

05leucht
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

07radar
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

08schild
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

09waldfr
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

10garmisch
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

Tunnel-Biergarten:

11biergarten
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

12biergarten
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr

13durchlass
by Wolfgang, auf Flickr
Old July 26th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #8020
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Thank you for the pictures!
It´s a really beautiful tunnel!

Are there any other large road construction projects going on in Munich right now?
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau