daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #8141
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Is it respected? In Italy that sign would be largely ignored.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #8142
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

I don't think that it's respected.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #8143
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Probably in Poland would be installed speed camera
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #8144
MichiH

That usually happens on the famous damaged German Autobahn bridges but many drivers are still caught

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #8145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A case in point: https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/schle...litzer540.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

detreinbek liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #8146
MichiH

Well, it's an English forum, so you should summarize the article (published on 28th August 2015).

The A7 bridge over the Kiel Canal between North Sea and Baltic Sea (Rader Brücke) is damaged. The maximum speed is limited for cars to 80km/h and for trucks to 60km/h but most of the drivers exceed the limit. For this reason, two speed cameras are installed per direction now. Only trucks are checked and fined for the time being though.

Old August 30th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #8147
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The A7 bridge over the Kiel Canal between North Sea and Baltic Sea (Rader Brücke) is damaged. The maximum speed is limited for cars to 80km/h and for trucks to 60km/h but most of the drivers exceed the limit.
Since when is that bridge open for trucks?

Several months ago I drove on the A1 Rhine bridge at Leverkusen. This bridge had been closed for all vehicles over 3.5t for several months (it is closed now, too, and will presumably never be opened until a new bridge will be built) and the speed limit is 60 km/h. There are several cameras on the bridge so usually everyone drives between 60-65 km/h. In this case, it was 4AM, the motorway was almost empty. I drove there, strictly 60 km/h. A heavy truck drove behind me, its weight ten times over the limit, and honked, that I should have driven faster.

devo liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #8148
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Is it respected? In Italy that sign would be largely ignored.
In Germany usually the drivers brake and drive slower than usual but faster than the limit. So at a 40 km/h limit sign a majority if cars drive 60-90 km/h.
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:19 PM   #8149
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Since when is that bridge open for trucks?
Wie bitte, häh? Sorry, I don't get it. It's opened for trucks since the bridge was opened in 1972.

Old August 31st, 2015, 10:10 PM   #8150
Attus

Quote:
Wie bitte, häh? Sorry, I don't get it. It's opened for trucks since the bridge was opened in 1972.
Correct, but it was closed for heavy trucks in 2013, I'm 100% sure about it.
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:15 PM   #8151
MichiH

Ok. It was closed from 26th June 2013 to 8th November 2013 for vehicles > 7.5t. From 9th November to 16th January 2014 it was closed for trucks > 44t.

Old August 31st, 2015, 10:38 PM   #8152
Attus

Quote:
Ok. It was closed from 26th June 2013 to 8th November 2013 for vehicles > 7.5t. From 9th November to 16th January 2014 it was closed for trucks > 44t.
Thanks.
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:48 PM   #8153
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A 7.5 ton limit is quite restrictive. It bans nearly all types of medium to large-sized trucks.

The standard EU weight limit is 40 tons, but countries may allow higher limits (such as 44 tons in Germany and Belgium, 50 tons in NL and even higher limits for longer combination vehicles in several countries).
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:32 AM   #8154
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
The A7 bridge over the Kiel Canal between North Sea and Baltic Sea (Rader Brücke) is damaged. The maximum speed is limited for cars to 80km/h and for trucks to 60km/h but most of the drivers exceed the limit. For this reason, two speed cameras are installed per direction now. Only trucks are checked and fined for the time being though.
Wow, it looks like a quite problematic situation. It's the main road between Central Europe and Denmark/Scandinavia.
I would imagine very serious traffic problems if that bridge will need to be closed for some time.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 02:41 PM   #8155
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

Driving through Nordrhein-Westfalen (Germany) from Emmerich to Düsseldorf 21.08.2015 Timelapse x4

SRC_100, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 03:35 PM   #8156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Wow, it looks like a quite problematic situation. It's the main road between Central Europe and Denmark/Scandinavia.
I would imagine very serious traffic problems if that bridge will need to be closed for some time.
The other vital link from Germany to Scandinavia, the only road to the Puttgarden ferry terminal, has a 50 km/h speed limit for trucks on the Fehmarnsund Bridge due to the poor condition of the bridge. I suspect it may have been closed to trucks of 7.5+ tons if it was on a less vital location. But that would mean the Puttgarden ferry cannot be reached by trucks any more.
Old September 1st, 2015, 06:14 PM   #8157
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Are they planning to build a second Fehmarnsund bridge (possible with Autobahn standards) to serve the future Puttgarden-Roedby undersea tunnel?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:06 PM   #8158
MichiH

It was not planned at all. IIRC, (official) discussion began about two years ago. Bridge(s) or tunnel(s) for railway and/or road.... It's in a very early planning stage though.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:13 AM   #8159
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 802

Construction started on the Oberau bypass between the A95 end and Garmisch. Includes a 3km long 2x2 tunnel and should be reasy in 2021.

Total length of the bypass: 4.2 km / 200 million Euro

I'm not quite sure if this means they will actually extend the A95 or just move the current B road to a new alignment but it is good news anyway
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:07 AM   #8160
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

There will be no extension of the A95. The design of the Oberau as well as Farchant bypass does not follow autobahn standards.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau