daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2015, 05:53 PM   #8261
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A3 widening @Würzburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The last section near Würzburg will be completed by fall 2019. Construction works began in July 2014. (I cannot could the number of court decisions but there's a hearing at Federal Administrative Court later this month (2nd one) and there will be a complaint at the European Court of Justice...)
The section has a length of 5.4km (map; costs: ~ 220 million €). It's widened from 5 to 7 lanes (in total, not per direction). An interchange at the beginning of the section is extended (pics of the "AS Heidingsfeld"), a 600m viaduct is to be replaced (pics of the viaduct "Talbrücke Heidingsfeld") and a new 600m artificial tunnel (Einhausung) is to be built (pics of the "Katzenbergtunnel"). Some additional pics.

Some pics from summer 2015 (source: project page of Autobahndirektion Nordbayern; taken by Jonas Miller, Uffenheim and Hajo Dietz, Nürnberg):

The neighboring sections were opened in 2009 (AD Würzburg-West (A81) - AS Würzburg-Heidingsfeld) or 2012 (Main bridge Randersacker - AK Biebelried (A7). The AADT was between 61,000 and 75,000 vehicles/day in 2010.

btw: Würzburg is the capitel of Lower Franconia .

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

SRC_100, Deadeye Reloaded, 8166UY liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2015, 06:20 PM   #8262
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Why a odd number of lanes? One direction is more loaded with traffic than the other?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 06:36 PM   #8263
MichiH

No, there are slopes. There's a very long rise b/n Kauppenbrücke and Weibersbrunn. In general, the maximum grade of A3 is 4% though.

It's the same b/n Wertheim and Helmstadt (u/c). Near Würzburg... I think it's more steep westbound. The neighboring section already features 4 lanes westward b/n Heidingsfeld and Kist. The other neighboring section b/n Randersacker and Rottendorf features 4 lanes eastward.

The 4th lanes usually begin at an interchange (Wertheim, Heidingsfeld and Randersacker) or end at an interchange (Weibersbrunn and Heidingsfeld).

There's also a very long slope westbound near Marktheidenfeld but there won't be an additional lane.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

g.spinoza liked this post
Old November 1st, 2015, 08:41 PM   #8264
threo2k

Likes (Received): 23

Beautiful place Würzburg!

SturmBeobachter liked this post
threo2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2015, 07:05 PM   #8265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

The construction of the 2 kilometer missing link of A66 on the east side of Frankfurt am Main has been delayed to at least 2025. They started works in 2009. The main tunnel (1.1 km) works may start in late 2018.

http://hessenschau.de/wirtschaft/rie...unnel-100.html

This is what they built over the past 6 years.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cinxxx liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #8266
HarlingenHardest

Likes (Received): 36

Next summer they will start building a B241 bypass between A7 (Hannover-Kassel) and Uslar. Over a length of ca. 5 kilometres the road moves to the south, parallel to the railway. It is expected roadworks here will be ready in 2020/2021.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
HarlingenHardest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #8267
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Baustelle B241 Neu
Laenge : 5 km
Auf 06.2016 bis 11.2035
Wir Bauen fuer Sie!
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #8268
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The construction of the 2 kilometer missing link of A66 on the east side of Frankfurt am Main has been delayed to at least 2025. They started works in 2009. The main tunnel (1.1 km) works may start in late 2018.

http://hessenschau.de/wirtschaft/rie...unnel-100.html

This is what they built over the past 6 years.
That's quite strange. Could you report why it's delayed?

Old November 5th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #8269
MichiH

A30 Bad Oeynhausen

Quote:
There's some trouble about the construction contract of the Löhne i/c "Kreuz Löhne" (15 million €). A bidder was excluded of the tender procedure because the bidder made a formal error. A complaint of the company was rejected by the procurement chamber ("Vergabekammer") in June. Now, the company went to court. The hearing will be in October 2015. Afterwards, the contract should be awarded short-term. Thus, the planned completion (Late 2016, which is a confirmation to my previous assumption) is delayed. It's not possible to term a completion date. See press release.

I guess, it will be delayed by (minimum) 6 months. That means 2017. In addition, I don't think that the eastern section will be opened in late 2016 but together with the western section to avoid getting traffic on the new road by mistake which would lead them on streets through residential areas (L772).
The court decided that it was not correct to exclude the company from the tender procedure. The crux is the planning of a falsework (Planung eines Traggerüsts) which costs about 1,500 €. The order size is 15,000,000 €. Construction works were planned to begin in May 2015 but will begin in spring 2016 at the earliest. Source.

I cannot believe what I'm writing.......

Old November 5th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #8270
MichiH

A14 Schwerin - Magdeburg

Quote:
The Mecklenburg-West Pomerania Ministry of Transport said that their section will be opened in December 2015. The Brandenburg Mistry of Transport said that their section will be opened in Mid or Late December 2015. The Saxony-Anhalt Ministry of Transport assumes that the entire A14 will be completed by 2020. Source.
Quote:
Of course, 2020 is just a dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Was road construction in DE always slow?
A nice historical comparison: > click <.

Quote:
Ab dem Jahre 1842 begann dann der Ausbau des Fernhandelsweges von Magdeburg über Dolle bis nach Gardelegen.
„Die 60 Kilometer wurden in fast zwei Jahren lediglich mit der Muskelkraft von Menschen und Pferden bewältigt. Als einzige Hilfsmittel dienten von Pferden gezogene Walzen“.
Mit Schaufeln hoben die Arbeiter in Handarbeit das Straßenbett aus. Das wurde mit Schotter aufgefüllt. „Als Deckschicht wurde ein feiner Kalkstein verwendet, der später glattgewalzt wurde“.
Das Tempo der damaligen Straßenbauarbeiten ist aus heutiger Sicht fast nicht mehr vorstellbar. Ist doch die Fertigstellung der Autobahn-Nordverlängerung der A14, die auch an Dolle vorbeiführt, erst für das Jahr 2020 angekündigt.
Translation:

Quote:
The construction of the long-distance trading route from Magdeburg via Dolle up to Gardelegen began in 1842.
"The 60 kilometer section was built in nearly two years by muscular strength of men and horses only. The only tool were horse-powered rolls".
Workers dug the subgrade by shovels. It was filled with gravel. "Limestone was used for the top layer which was rolled afterwards."
The pace of the former road construction is no longer imaginable today. Just look at the A14 which is announced to bypass Dolle as recently as 2020.

Old November 5th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #8271
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
That's quite strange. Could you report why it's delayed?
Hessen Mobil released some information;

Wie Al-Wazir erläuterte, müssen Planungsgrundlagen erneuert werden, da die Stadt Frankfurt ihre Bevölkerungsprognose revidiert hat und für das Jahr 2030 eine erheblich höhere Einwohnerzahl erwartet als bislang angenommen: „Es geht um die Frage, wie sich die Vorhersage auf das Verkehrsaufkommen auswirkt und ob die derzeit vorgesehenen Lärmschutzmaßnahmen dann noch ausreichen“, sagte Al-Wazir. Auch die lufthygienische Untersuchung, die natur- und artenschutzfachlichen Erhebungen sowie der landschaftspflegerische Begleitplan sind zu überprüfen.

They had to redo the planning procedures due to a higher than anticipated population growth in Frankfurt. They had to recalibrate the noise and air quality studies and impact on nature and species.

I've never heard of this reason for a delay before...

Quote:
The court decided that it was not correct to exclude the company from the tender procedure. The crux is the planning of a falsework (Planung eines Traggerüsts) which costs about 1,500 €. The order size is 15,000,000 €. Construction works were planned to begin in May 2015 but will begin in spring 2016 at the earliest. Source.

1 year delay over a € 1500 tender on a € 200 million project. Does it get any worse than this?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #8272
MichiH

Quote:
1 year delay over a € 1500 tender on a € 200 million project. Does it get any worse than this?
There was a formal error about a 1,500 € item which is a (very little) part of the 15-million-€ offer...

Old November 5th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #8273
MichiH

Quote:
Hessen Mobil released some information;
They had to redo the planning procedures due to a higher than anticipated population growth in Frankfurt. They had to recalibrate the noise and air quality studies and impact on nature and species.
I've never heard of this reason for a delay before...
I've also never heard of something like this and I've never expected something like this...

There is a 2-laned congested city road bottleneck (Am Erlenbruch / Borsigallee) which is planned to be bypassed by a 2x3 motorway. The plan approval procedure began in 1989, the plan approval order was passed in February 2007. Residents complaint and an additional plan approval order was passed in September 2011. The official groundbreaking ceremony already took place a couple of days prior the next to last Bundestag election - in 2009! The project includes the construction of the 2nd A661 carriageway which began in November 2007. The construction of the A66/A661 interchange also began later on which is required for the tunnel construction.

Anyway, residents complaint again (I don't remember exactly but I think it's about noise protection or general nature conservation) and the road authority promised to improve the planning. It was announced that another additional plan approval procedure should begin ("Planergänzungsverfahren").

For any reason, they recognized that the anticipated population growth in Frankfurt is dramatically higher ("erheblich höhere Einwohnerzahl") which could affect the future A66 AADT which could request a better noise protection!

Construction works will likely begin in late 2018 instead of 2016 and will likely be completed by 2025 instead of 2022. There will be two additional plan approval procedures will be done.

The Green Hesse Minister of Transport said that the delay is annoying but inevitable to avoid any legal risk ("Die Verschiebung ist ärgerlich, aber unvermeidlich, wenn wir das Projekt nicht rechtlichen Risiken aussetzen wollen").

See press release and news articles....

They didn't redo the planning procedures yet but they have to redo the planning procedures now!

It's discussed on a different forum that the higher AADT could demand a better tunnel ventilation.

I don't understand why they specify a 2-year-delay. It' a plan approval procedure. That means the order could be complaint again. That means, the completion is minimum delayed by 2 years!

There's a daily congestion on the parallel A3 b/n Offenbach and Hanau (from A661 to B45). The interchanges should be optimized but it's expected that the AADT will be reduced once the A66 will be completed. That means, the planning procedure was stopped a few years ago. Of course, due to the dramatically higher expected future population, this project is delayed again.........

Old November 6th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #8274
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Germany never ceases to amaze me!
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 02:28 AM   #8275
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Maybe if the AADT so much higher, we could get an extra lane?
Old November 7th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #8276
MichiH

I don't think so.

Old November 7th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #8277
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

2015 was a record year for congestion and road works.
We need to have even more patience the next year since the number of road works will increase even more higher.

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #8278
MichiH

B85 upgrade in Bavaria

Quote:
There are plans to upgrade the B85 b/n A6 interchange Amberg-East and A93 interchange Schwandorf-North (A93) (~15km; OSM) as well as b/n A93 interchange Schwandorf-Center and interchange Cham-East (B22) (~40km; OSM) by adding a 2nd carriageway (w/o hard shoulders). It is part of the current BVWP 2003 and part of the state's proposal for the new BVWP 2015.

The two westernmost parts (~32km) - west of the B16 - have further demand only but the Neubäu bypass would be the first carriageway (urgent demand).
The plan approval procedure began in January 2010. The plan approval order was passed in March 2013. It was challenged but it's definitive (bestandskräftig) since January 2015. The construction funding was passed in July 2015 (16.7 million €) and works began last week, see news article. The official groundbreaking ceremony will be next Monday though. There's a large map of the bypass: > click <. The bypass will feature 3 lanes (2+1).

B85: AS Neubäu-West – AS Neubäu-East 4.0km (November 2015 to 2018) [1st c/w] – projectmap

Quote:
There is also a 2nd through-road in Altenkreith (5.5km; urgent demand; OSM) which is planned to be replaced by a 4-laned bypass.
The next section is adding a 2nd carriageway b/n Altenkreith and Pliending (3.4km; OSM). The plan approval procedure was announced to be started in late 2013 (but not yet started).
The plan approval procedure began in July 2014.

Quote:
The preliminary works on the 3.2km section b/n Pliending and Untertraubenbach have been started in August 2012 (OSM). An auxiliary road was built meantime. The works for a 430m tunnel will be started in March 2014 (source; webcam; project page; 42 million €). This section is planned to be completed until late 2017. It will become an expressway. This should be the "real" beginning of the construction.
B85: Piendling – Untertraubenbach 3.2km (March 2014 to October 2017) – projectmap

Quote:
The subsequent 8km section is already 4-laned. The last 2km section b/n Cham-South and Cham-East is also urgent demand (OSM).

Old November 7th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #8279
MichiH

Happened and expected openings in 2015

Quote:
Motorway widenings:
A8: west of AS Zusmarshausen – west of AS Adelsried (2x3) 7,4km (August 2011 to 2nd November 2015) – projectmap
It was not 2x3 opened on 31st October (2+3 only) but on 3rd November. That means, it most likely opened on time.

I was not sure about an A7 widening section but it's really 2x3 in service now. It's most likely 2x3 since (August or) September.

A7: T+R Harz – AS Seesen (2x3) ~5km (August 2012 to Summer 2015) – projectmap

Quote:
New expressways:
B535: AS Mannheim-Friedrichsfeld – AS Schwetzingen-Center (2x2) 1.9km (December 2010 to Mid December 2015) [2nd c/w] – projectmap
It's reported that it will be completed in Mid 2016, see news article. The railroad bridge was demolished last week, see pics.

Full list:

New motorways:
A14: AK Schwerin – AS Grabow (2x2) 14.4km (November 2012 to 21st December 2015) – ? – map
A14: AS Groß Warnow – AS Karstädt (2x2) 10.8km (October 2013 to Late December 2015) – projectmap
A23: AS Itzehoe-Center – south of Stör bridge (2x2) 2.5km (January 2007 to 26th October 2015) – projectmap
A26: AS Horneburg – AS Jork (2x2) 4.6km (Summer 2006 to 17th July 2015) [direction Hamburg] – projectmap
A71: Etzleben – AS Sömmerda-East (2x2) 11.4km (June 2010 to 3rd September 2015) – projectmap
A448: rededication AD Bochum-West – AS Bochum-South (2x2) 5.0km (Mid 2015) – projectmap

Motorway widenings:
A3: Kauppenbrücke – AS Rohrbrunn (2x3) 8.0km (April 2013 to Mid November 2015 / December 2015 ?) [partial 4 eastbound lanes] – projectmap
A3: Main-Donube-Canal bridge (2x3) 1.3km (April 2014 to 18th December 2015) – projectmap
A4: AS Düren – east of AS Düren (2x3) 2.2km (? to 12th June 2015) – projectmap
A7: T+R Harz – AS Seesen (2x3) ~5km (August 2012 to Summer 2015) – projectmap
A8: east of AS Karlsbad – east of Klosterwegbrücke (2x3) ~6km (August 2009 to 26th 06 2015) – projectmap
A8: Temmenhausen – west of AS Ulm-West (2x3) 7.8km (May 2012 to 24th 09 2015) – projectmap
A8: west of AS Burgau – east of AS Burgau (2x3) 5.7km (August 2011 to Late July/Early August 2015) – projectmap
A8: west of AS Zusmarshausen – west of AS Adelsried (2x3) 7.4km (August 2011 to ~ 2nd November 2015) – projectmap
A8: west of AS Neusäß – AS Neusäß (2x3) ~5.0km (August 2011 to September 2015) – projectmap
A8: AS Neusäß – AS Augsburg-West (2x3) ~2.7km (August 2011 to June 2015) – projectmap
A10: east of AD Pankow (A114) – Berlin/Brandenburg border (2x3) 5.4km (2009 to Early November 2015) – projectmap
A40: Walzwerkstraße – AD Bochum-West (A448) (2x3) ~2km (Late 2009 to 18th June 2015) – projectmap
A57: AK Kaarst (A52) – AS Holzbüttgen (2x3) ?km (November 2013 to December 2015) – projectmap

New expressways:
B10: Walmersbach – west of Hinterweidenthal (2x2) 1.8km (June 2010 to 30th October 2015) – projectmap

New B roads and B road bypasses:
B2R: AS München-Sendling-Plinganserstraße (B11) – AS München-Sendling (A96) (2x3) 2.8km (August 2009 to 27th July 2015) – projectmap
B15: AS Rosenheim-West (A8) – AS Kolbermoor (St2078) 3.5km (August 2012 to 12th October 2015) – projectmap
B16: Dillingen bypass (2+1) 9.4km (June 2012 to 15th September 2015) – projectmap
B27: Waake bypass (2+1) 2.5km (March 2010 to 18th August 2015) – projectmap
B45: Nidderau bypass (K246 – B45-South) 3.9km (September 2009 to 22nd June 2015) – projectmap
B48: Enkenbach-Alsenborn bypass 0.7km (September 2009 to 09th October 2015) – ? – map
B68: Essen bypass 4.1km (August 2012 to 12th October 2015) – projectmap
B96n: AS Samtens-Ost – Scharpitz (2+1) 11.5km (June 2011 to 8th December 2015) – projectmap
B109: Anklam bypass 1.7km (July 2011 to 08th May 2015) – ? – map
B112: Brieskow-Finkenheerd/Wiesenau bypass (2+1) 10.0km (April 2012 to Late 2015 / 2016 ?) – projectmap
B212: Huntebrück-North – Huntebrück-South 1.5km (July 2009 to 10th December 2015) – projectmap
B237: Wipperfürth bypass 0.5km (January 2013 to Spring 2015) – ? – map
B245: Bebertal bypass 4.8km (September 2013 to 14th September 2015) – ? – map
B247: Duderstadt bypass (west of Westerode (B446) – north of Tiftlingerode) 3.3km (July 2012 to 16th October 2015) – projectmap
B249: Frieda bypass 2.2km (July 2013 to 12th September 2015) – projectmap
B255: AS Oberahr – north of Ettinghausen ?km (July 2007 to 25th March 2015) – ? – map
B304: Realignment near Mühlreit 2.0km (September 2011 to 23rd October 2015) – projectmap

B road widenings:
B12: Unterthingau – AS Geisenried (2+1) 3.3km (2nd quarter 2015 to August 2015) – projectmap
B16: Ernsgaden-West – AS Ernsgaden-East (2+1) 3km (September 2014 to 4th December 2015) – ? – map
B16: AS Bernhardswald – Wenzenbach (2+1) 2.6km (November 2014 to 11th September 2015) – projectmap
B28: K1029 – Herrenberg (2+1) 0.9km (July 2015 to Early December 2015) – projectmap
B41: east of Waldböckelheim – Waldböckelheim-Reitweg (2x2) 1.1km (September 2012 to 10th September 2015) – projectmap

Old November 7th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #8280
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
It's reported that it will be completed in Mid 2016, see news article. The railroad bridge was demolished last week, see pics.
Can't really push it any further back than that. This project overview for the next major project in the area plans to reduce the A656 to alternating 2+0 (yes, one lane per direction!) for up to a year beginning in late 2016. B535 is mentioned on page 23, as regional southern replacement for the A656. AADT of A656 in the affected section is 63,700 for work days.

Project details and PF-Beschluss for that project. The new bridge will also widen the A656 and that bridge in that section - adding shoulders and widening the lanes to 3.75m.
The construction site will also be pretty interesting since they'll lift the bridge components into place using cranes to minimize the time for shutdowns in particular of the railway below.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau