daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #8481
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How old is that bridge?
51 years (built 1962-65).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #8482
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

I cannot imagine what'd happen if they had to close it. That's the only bridge between Cologne and Düsseldorf. It's absolutely vital.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #8483
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I think it's even the busiest stretch of the entire A1 from Heiligenhafen to Saarbrücken.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #8484
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think it's even the busiest stretch of the entire A1 from Heiligenhafen to Saarbrücken.
no, it is one of 3 hotspots of the A1

- Köln (this one)
- Dortmund (overlay eastwest -northsouth)
- Hamburg (city crossing)

http://autobahnatlas-online.de/Verke...nkarte2010.pdf
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #8485
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

It is actually the busiest stretch though with 119.400 vehicles/day (Dortmund tops at 102.500, Hamburg gets closer with 117.500).
http://www.wegenwiki.nl/A1_(Duitslan...sintensiteiten
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #8486
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I cannot imagine what'd happen if they had to close it. That's the only bridge between Cologne and Düsseldorf. It's absolutely vital.
It's not like there weren't any alternative routes, like A3/A4 Kölner Ring or even A46 / A57 via Wuppertal and Düsseldorf.
Of course, these routes will be even more busy than they already are resulting in extreme congestion.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #8487
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's the problem indeed, most of these routes are already operating near capacity.

I wonder if this has any impact on the other nearby bridges, which are now used by a higher volume of trucks, perhaps shortening their service life? Especially the Mülheimer Brücke is already in a deteriorated condition (it was built in 1951).
Old February 25th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #8488
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
It's not like there weren't any alternative routes, like A3/A4 Kölner Ring or even A46 / A57 via Wuppertal and Düsseldorf.
Of course, these routes will be even more busy than they already are resulting in extreme congestion.
That's what, a 50km detour?
Maybe not a big deal for a 1,000km truck ride. More of an issue for your daily commute.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #8489
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9722

There has been no border crossing for over 26 years, but the border still exists: Baustellen / No Baustellen.

A pass through the Leutra Valley has gone.

SRC_100, Autostädter liked this post
DSzumaher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #8490
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Are these your videos? You deactivated embbeding and then you embed videos?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #8491
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9722

No, not mine. Avatars are an odd coincidence.
Something had to be bungled.
DSzumaher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #8492
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A99 München

Merkur reports that all bridges and underpasses along the planned A99 widening will have to be demolished and rebuild, because they do not conform to modern load capacity standards, despite the fact that this segment of A99 is only 41-43 years old.

http://www.merkur.de/lokales/muenche...n-6160468.html

This seems like a huge disappointment, as A99 was one of the very few Autobahnen in Germany with a wide median and bridges already wide enough to support an additional lane. This would result in a much longer construction time than under a no-replacement scenario.

Old February 27th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #8493
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

while that's bad news, the immediate adjacent artikel on Merkur is perhaps more concerning :o

Quote:
Tod beim Liebesspiel: Frau stirbt an Salatgurke
Mannheim - Um eine zweckentfremdete Salatgurke dreht sich ein kurioser Prozess in Mannheim. Ein Paar hatte das Gemüse beim Liebesspiel eingesetzt - mit tödlichen Folgen.

Wilhem275, devo, Spam King liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #8494
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
all bridges and underpasses along the planned A99 widening will have to be demolished and rebuild, because they do not conform to modern load capacity standards
This is the perfect paradox of the legal fraimework of modern infrastructures. A structure is considered perfectly safe to stay open for traffic, basically because someone assessed it 40 years earlier (and the structure is not failing meanwhile). The very same structure is then considered unsafe only because the legal process was updated, while the structure itself is still in perfect order.

I understand that sooner or later technical standards must be upgraded, but with stuff already in place there should be some flexibility, as long as we are within some safe limits... and if we're not, then it should mean the whole structure is already unsafe.

[I assume that the issue here is the amount of load per lane]

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Gedeon liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #8495
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Merkur reports that all bridges and underpasses along the planned A99 widening will have to be demolished and rebuild, because they do not conform to modern load capacity standards, despite the fact that this segment of A99 is only 41-43 years old.
"Fast alle Brücken müssen abgerissen werden" --> Not all bridges but almost all bridges. It's planned to upgrade 18.6km A99 Munich ring from 2x3 to 2x4 lanes b/n AK Munich-North and AS Haar (south of A94).

The construction of the northernmost section from AK Munich-North to AS Ismaning/Aschheim is announced to be started in August 2016 (7.3km; map; preliminary works are already ongoing). The announced completion date is 2019. The estimated costs were 60 million € but the renewing of the bridges will cost additional 80 million €. The current AADTw is about 140,000 vehicles/day, up to 150,000 vehicles/day during holiday traffic. The predicted 2030 AADT is 170,000 vehicles/day, thereof 30,000 heavy traffic. The section already has temporary shoulder running. I read years ago that it should be active after the upgrade again.
Press release from 26th January 2016, news article from 8th February 2016 and news article which has previously been posted by ChrisZwolle.

A demage of the Isar bridge was detected last Tuesday. The mostern-right lane and shoulder lane were closed till the repair was completed on Friday afternoon. Press release from 23rd February and from 26th February 2016.

The plan approval procedure for the upgrade of the next section (I'm not sure I think it's from AS Ismaning/Aschheim till north of the A94 interchange) is announced to begin in 2017. The last section with "advanced planning activity" is from this section boundary to AS Haar. Map.

In addition, it was recently reported that the A99 Allach tunnel (map) should get a 3rd tube just south of the existing tubes. But it will take minimum 10 to 15 years. AADT is about 118,000 vehicles/day on 2x3 lanes. The first step to relieve the section could be a temporary shoulder running. Planning activity has not yet started but it could be activated within 2, 3 or 4 years. Souce from 19th February 2016.

As mentioned earlier on this thread, the widening of almost all A99 sections was submitted for the new federal demand plan (BVWP 2015). The gap south of Munich will remain.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

g.spinoza liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #8496
MichiH

It's announced that the draft of the new BVWP 2015 will be presented on 16th March 2016 (source from 24th February and from 27th February 2016).

It will be presented to the Traffic Commission of the Bundestag on 16th March. I hope it will also be published for public / on internet that day.......

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #8497
MichiH

A448 Bochum

A448: rededication AD Bochum-West – AS Bochum-South 5.0km (Mid 2015) – projectmap
A448: rededication AS Bochum-South – AS Altenbochum (West) 1.8km (Mid 2018) – projectmap
A448: AS Altenbochum (West) – AS Altenbochum (East) 1.9km (October 2012 to Mid 2018) – projectmap
A448: AS Altenbochum (East) – AK Bochum/Witten 1.4km (October 2012 to Late 2016) – projectmap

The completion of the latter is delayed by Summer 2017. See news article from 21st February 2016.

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #8498
MichiH

A661: AS Frankfurt-Friedberger Landstraße – AS Frankfurt-East 2.2km (November 2007 to Late 2016) [2nd c/w] – projectmap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The project includes the construction of the 2nd A661 carriageway which began in November 2007. The construction of the A66/A661 interchange also began later on which is required for the tunnel construction.
I forgot that the A661 completion date is late 2017 according to the project page (it was already delayed to late 2017 in June 2015 but I couldn't find any reason for the delay. I thought that the opening could be on time but remaining works after the opening could last till the end of 2017. But the 2nd carriageway is required for a tunnel construction phase ("Baustraße") which means, the opening of the 2nd A661 carriageway must also be delayed due to the A66 tunnel construction delay - maybe it's even delayed to 2018 or 2019 or...).

That means, the following Autobahn or Autobahn-like projects are expected to be completed in 2016:

A23: south of Stör bridge – AS Itzehoe-South 2.0km (2010 to 30th June 2016) – projectmap
B535: AS Mannheim-Friedrichsfeld – AS Schwetzingen-Center 1.9km (December 2010 to Mid 2016) [2nd c/w] – projectmap
B33: AS Offenburg-Zunsweier – AS Gengenbach-North 2.8km (October 2010 to September 2016) – ? – map

The three projects are not new road projects but upgrades of existing roads only.

Last edited by MichiH; February 29th, 2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: correction
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #8499
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
That's what, a 50km detour?
Maybe not a big deal for a 1,000km truck ride. More of an issue for your daily commute.
In that case I suggest taking the zoo bridge with a lot of patience.

Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 03:46 PM   #8500
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Italian media are giving news about Baden-Württemberg experimenting with 120 km/h limits on previously limit-free stretches of Autobahn (A96 and A81). They're also reporting Berlin's dissatisfaction, given the fact that Länder should have no saying in this matter, since Autobahnen belong to the State, not the Land.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau