daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #8581
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I don't know but I find the situation rather hilarious

though I guess better to tear apart the road than risk a Falcone-situation...

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #8582
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
why did they think there was a bomb there?
The pipe is part of construction works to lay a gas pipeline across the A15. While ramming it in it hit a large rock and deformed, pushing into a different direction. They then (probably) did a ground radar check and found a bomb-like structure in a position where the pipe shouldn't be, assuming that the pipe did hit and damage the bomb instead of some rock.
Then they went through the laid pipe with a robot to drill into the assumed bomb (the deformed pipe at its bend) and to lay shaped charges to attempt to explode it, which wasn't successful in two separate attempts. Therefore they had to unearth the whole thing.

It's not that rare to find WW2 bombs under autobahns, especially given that back in the 50s and 60s they didn't really survey the ground before building. Yesterday afternoon the A1 was closed for an hour to recover one; on March 29th one was exploded on the A61; on March 17th a phosphorus bomb unintentionally exploded during construction works at a rest station on the A7; on March 8th the A8 was closed due to a bomb; on March 2nd and February 26th the A40 in Essen had to be closed due to two bombs found within meters of the highway. And that's just the last 8 weeks. And only near highways. There's literally dozens of WW2 bombs been found in the same timeframe; it barely makes the news unless evacuations exceed a couple thousand people.
Old April 16th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #8583
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 433

thanks for the explanation
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #8584
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A44: west of AK Jackerath – AK Holz 10.2km (May 2012 to 2017) [discontinuation: 2.2km]projectmap

It's announced to be opened in summer 2018 now. The last AK Holz ramps will be completed by fall 2018. Afterwards, the A61 b/n AK Wanlo and AK Jackerath could be demolished for Garzweiler II. Source.

A20: AD Drochtersen (A26) – Glücksstadt 10.8km (2020? to 2025?) – projectmap

The Schleswig-Holstein plan approval order was challenged. The court hearing at the Federal Administrative Court of Germany took place last week. It's already decided that a plan approval supplementation procedure is required because the ECJ (European Court of Justice) decided in a similar trial last year that the impact of the tunnel for the water quality must be checked. The decision was made after the plan approval order was passed. The authority made a check but sent the report to the complainers only instead of publishing them. This will be done by the plan approval supplementation procedure now. This issue will not cause any delay because the trial about the Lower Saxony plan approval order will take place in October. See press release. However, the actual court decision about the complaints will be published on 28th April 2016.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #8585
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A recent truck crash caught on camera on A2 near Hannover: https://www.facebook.com/52953946041...7617964605013/

There were 4 major accidents near this workzone in 3 days. A2 is notorious for its high amount of severe crashes, often involving trucks. A study showed that in 2015, 50% of all Autobahn crashes in Lower Saxony were the result of vehicles crashing into stopped traffic, even when A2 through Lower Saxony has an overhead traffic control system (VBA) throughout the state.

The amount of truck crashes on A2 around Hannover is astounding.

* 1 April: 3 trucks crash at Watenbüttel, 2 fatalities
* 4 April: truck overturned near Peine
* 7 April: two trucks crash at Wunstorf-Kolenfeld
* 7 April: trucks crash at Hannover-Ost, spilling paint
* 11 April: truck crashes into traffic jam at Hannover-Bothfeld
* 12 April: truck crashes into traffic jam at Hämelerwald
* 13 April: truck crashes into car at Hämelerwald
* 14 April: 3 severe crashes in 28 hours
* 15 April: 3 trucks crashed at Garbsen
* 16 April: two trucks crash at Garbsen, spilling dangerous materials
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #8586
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato2k8 View Post
The pipe is part of construction works to lay a gas pipeline across the A15. While ramming it in it hit a large rock and deformed, pushing into a different direction. They then (probably) did a ground radar check and found a bomb-like structure in a position where the pipe shouldn't be, assuming that the pipe did hit and damage the bomb instead of some rock.
Then they went through the laid pipe with a robot to drill into the assumed bomb (the deformed pipe at its bend) and to lay shaped charges to attempt to explode it, which wasn't successful in two separate attempts. Therefore they had to unearth the whole thing.
It wasn't a bomb but a simple conduit pipe, source .

A 125kg bomb was disarmed in the city of Frankfurt/Main last night. An area with 500m diameter near the harbor was evacuated. A661 was closed and the air traffic was rerouted, source.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #8587
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
There are finally nice HUGE maps (but too large to be directly embedded here):

Street: https://mobil.hessen.de/sites/mobil....tra%C3%9Fe.png (7087x10237px).
Rail: https://mobil.hessen.de/sites/mobil....-Schiene_0.png (6692x7167px).
Water: https://mobil.hessen.de/sites/mobil....030-Wasser.png (6800x8800px).

Those maps are also available at the Federal Ministry's site:
click
It's a quite nice collection of lists and maps of the projects, as well as general conceptions.
Also you can find the dossiers of all projects (including those that didn't make it into the final plan) under http://www.bvwp-projekte.de/.

But keep in mind, this is not the final plan. Currently the public can write their thoughts (till 2nd of May). So there are several changes to be expected.

I personally hope that Widening of A3 Offenbach - Hanau, A5 Westkreuz - Friedberg, A5 Freiburg - Teningen, A60 near Mainz, A61 Nahetal - T+R Hunsrück and the reconstruction of Wiesbadener Kreuz make it into urgent demand, as well as planning right for A3 Wiesbaden - Mönchhof, A3 Frankfurter Kreuz - Offenbach, A5 Friedberg - Gambach (-Reiskirchen) and inspection order for No-Demand projects A5 Ohmtaldreieck (A49) - Hattenbach and A66 Hanau-West - Langenselbold (cost benefit ratio only slightly below 1).
It's absolutely nonsense that especially A5 Nordwestkreuz - Friedberg with a very high cost benefit ratio above 10 is now only further demand with planning right. For A3 Frankfurter Kreuz - Hanau I see some severe errors in listing the right costs and benefits, which makes their ratio far worse than in reality. Both these sections are severe bottlenecks (long traffic jams nearly every day) despite the already installed temporary use of hard shoulders.
On the other hand, widening projects in Northrine-Westphalia and Bavaria could be classified less urgent as in the draft, since these aren't that heavily congested compared with some projects in other states and show only small bottlenecks and have a relatively bad cost benefit ratio (A3 near Duisburg and Königsforst, A92 widenings, A99 south of AS Haar, A8 Holzkirchen - Inntaldreieck where only the climbing sections at Irschenberg are problematic).
If also Hessian projects have to be downgraded for upgrade of afforementioned sections around Frankfurt, this would make most sense for sections of A45 north of Wetzlar (there are some with few bridges and relatively low congestion), random sections of all of A44, and maybe the sections A67 Rüsselsheim - Darmstadt and A661 Preungesheim - Kaiserlei (recently/currently reconstructed).

Last edited by Rohne; April 18th, 2016 at 11:51 PM.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #8588
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

Driving through Baden-Wurtemberg (Germany) from Baden-Baden to Stuttgart 19.03.2016 Timelapse x4

SRC_100 liked this post
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #8589
threo2k

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale92Milano_SpA View Post
Driving through Baden-Wurtemberg (Germany) from Baden-Baden to Stuttgart 19.03.2016 Timelapse x4

Nice Video!
threo2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:11 PM   #8590
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale92Milano_SpA View Post

I like the subsequent video where you drive down the hill into Stadtmitte. My town.

SRC_100 liked this post
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #8591
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by threo2k View Post
Nice Video!
thanks
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #8592
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
I like the subsequent video where you drive down the hill into Stadtmitte. My town.

thank you
Old April 26th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #8593
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Driving from Frankfurt am Main to Köln (Germany) 21.03.2016 Timelapse x4

Driving through Bayern (Germany) from Nürnberg to München 22.03.2016 Timelapse x4

Driving from Koblenz to Aschaffenburg (Germany) 22.03.2016 Timelapse x4

SRC_100 liked this post
Old April 26th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #8594
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

I don't know if this has been posted bevor: http://www.bvwp-projekte.de/map_street.html

That's a map with all currently planned projects in the new Bundesverkehrswegeplan 2030. Very interesting and informative, much better than then widely known lists

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #8595
MichiH

I've posted it.

Old May 5th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #8596
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 433

Update on A3 Lahntal bridge:

As you can see, traffic is rolling on one side of the bridge. However it was completed in a typical german way: the pavement is so bumpy that it needs to be changed again. Driving across the bridge was compared to "driving across a potato field". You can see that there are only three gaps left on the other bridge.

Here you can see the remaining gaps from a closer perspective. The rectangular pillars are only for auxillary purposes and will be torn down later on.

This is a shot of the old bridge. You can clearly see how demaged it is.

All pics by me.
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #8597
MichiH

A49 Kassel - Gießen

Quote:
A49: AS Neuental – AS Schwalmstadt 11.8km (March 2011 to 2020) – projectmap

Quote:
A49: AS Schwalmstadt – AS Stadtallendorf-North 13.3km (? to ?) – projectmap (HE; plan approval: ? – January 2012; complaints withdrawn)
A49: AS Stadtallendorf-North – AD Ohmtal (A5) 17.4km (? to ?) – projectmap (HE; plan approval: ? – May 2012; complaints pending)
The Minister President of Hesse, Mr. Bouffier (CDU party), the Federal Minister of Transport, Mr. Dobrindt (CSU party) and the SPD party speaker on transportation policy, Mr. Bartol, came to an agreement about financing of the remaining A49 sections in Hesse. The missing 120 million € (76 million € were already be funded since 2010) for the u/c section will be funded by the Federal budget. The last two sections will be financed by a PPP project (I think the construction costs are about 370 million €). See press release of Mr. Bouffier.

I read about an estimated completion date ("could be 2021") of the entire A49 but I think that's just wishful thinking...
Hessen.Mobil has informed people about the upcoming project phases. The vice president of Hessen.Mobil (state's road authority) said that A49 could be completed in 2025.

The presentation is online now: > click <.

Some "highlights":
Quote:
Page 4: VKE20 im Bau seit 2011; VKE30+40, Prüfung ÖPP, bisher keine Finanzierungsfreigabe
1st section is u/c since 2011; 2nd/3rd section: PPP assessment, not yet funded

Page 7: VKE20, geplante Fertigstellung: Ende 2020 (ausgenommen Tunnelausstattung)
Scheduled completion of 1st section: Late 2020 (except tunnel facilities)

Page 9: ÖPP-Umfang: Realisierung der VKE30+40 einschl. Tunnelausstattung VKE20 + Betrieb + Erhaltung der Strecke der A49 (Betriebsstrecke >=60km/AS Fritzlar)
PPP volume: Construction of 2nd+3rd section including tunnel facilities of 1st section + operation + maintenance of A49, concession lengths >=60km up to Fritzlar)

Page 12: Tunnelausstattung des Tunnels Frankenhain (VKE20); schnellstmögliche Realisierung im ÖPP bis circa Ende 2021
Tunnel facitities of Frankenhain tunnel (1st section); implementation within PPP as quickly as possible till approximately late 2021.

Page 13: Vorbereitung des Vergabeverfahrens durch die DEGES bis Ende 2017; Vergabe der Konzession: 2019
Preperation of tender procedure is done by DEGES till the end of 2017; concession awarding: 2019

Page 14: Gleichzeitigen Bau + Inbetriebnahme der VKE30+40
Simultaneous construction and commissioning of 2nd and 3rd section
Opening dates of the 60km concession route:
1978: AS Fritzlar - AS Borken (1st c/w), 11.3km
1980: AS Fritzlar - AS Borken (2nd c/w), 11.3km
1994: AS Borken - AS Neuental, 8.3km
2021/22: AS Neuental - AS Schwalmstadt, 11.8km (u/c since March 2011)
>= 2025: AS Schwalmstadt - A5, 30.7km

Old May 10th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #8598
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I don't think they will complete it by 2025 if they don't speed up the construction. The construction time of the first extension is already a ridiculous 10 years, and there are two more missing sections. Especially because nearly all new Autobahn projects take more time to construct than initially expected at groundbreaking in recent years.

There is an increasing amount of Autobahn projects where a single segment approaches 10 years of construction time. That's extremely long, in most countries half the time (5 years) would already be considered longer than usual.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #8599
MichiH

The first section was only partial funded. 1 tunnel + 1 or 2 bridge(s). The 2nd+3rd will be built faster - because it will most likely be PPP - but I also think that it will not be completed by 2025. I think the contruction begin will be delayed and the 1st section will be opened (much) later than 2021 due to the latest modification that tunnel facilities will be part of PPP contract...

Old May 12th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #8600
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Road trip A38 from Leipzig to the former inner German border

The A38 is a 219 kilometer-long Autobahn connecting the A7 near Göttingen with the A14 near Leipzig.

Construction of A38 started in 1997 and has become fully operational in December 2009. As the traffic flows are relative low on most of the stretch, it's quite pleasure to drive along there.

1-3 We're now driving through the southern part of Leipzig, the so-called Leipziger Neuseenland. Until 1990, the mining industry had left dozens of opencast mines in this area. But since the reunification it has been converted into a lake district of 22 lakes with a water surface area of 7,000 hectares - and a remarkable transformation in the scenery.

4,5 Germany is considering shutting down some of the coal-fired plants whilst building more renewable energy parks to meet its greenhouse gas emissions goals.

6-9 Rapeseed fields change the landscape in a beautiful way.

10 We're now heading for the Mansfelder Land, which used to be the largest copper mining area in Europe. This region is dotted with copper mines and associated waste tips.

11 The Kyffhäuser Monument (German: Kyffhäuserdenkmal), also known as Barbarossa Monument (Barbarossadenkmal), is the third-largest monument in Germany. It was erected in 1890–96 after the death of William I (Wilhelm I.), the first German Emperor in 1888, in his honour all over the German Empire.

12 Both pictures were taken in 2014.

13 This bridge sits on the border between the federal states of Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia.

14,15 This kind of fencing is rather rare along the German Autobahns.

16,17 Tunnels are a safety hazard in case of accident, especially in case of fire. In Germany where the limit in tunnels is normally reduced to 80kph.

By me.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau