daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #8621
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I just read about a terrible accident on the A6 near Nuremberg. Truck drove into car waiting behind another truck during congestion in a construction zone. It made the car an accordion bellow the truck in front. Family of 5 inside, husband badly injured, but mother and 3 small children all died. Also both truck drivers with medium injures.

http://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/p...unfaellen.html
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #8622
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

geez, that's terrible. According to BR another fatal accident occurred on the same stretch a few hours after it was cleared, a truck driver fell asleep and drove into a truck that was standing on the shoulder.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #8623
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

I drove there 2 weeks ago, that's terrible
AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #8624
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Road trip A4 from Bad Hersfeld to Chemnitz (Part One)

The A4 is an Autobahn spanning Germany in an east-to-west direction. It is actually in two halves with a huge gap in the middle. The western half is 156 km (97 mi) long and the eastern half is 429 km (267 mi). Currently there are no plans to fill the gap completely.

1 We're now driving through Bad Hersfeld - a small town which is closed to the Kirchheim intersection (with the A7).

2-4 The A4 has part of its origins as a military highway constructed between 1934 and 1937. Some stretches don't even have any hard shoulder, which is extremely unsafe for drivers who broke down. Lukily road widening works are in progress.

5 Construction workers have started cutting down trees for the next phase of the expansion.

6 New and old (red arrow) west of the inner German border.

7 East of the inner German border howerver, the A4 is mostly 6-lane, winding all the way to Dresden.

8,9 The Wartburg, a castle originally built in the Middle Ages, overlooks the town of Eisenach, in the state of Thuringia. It was the place where Martin Luther translated the New Testament of the Bible into German. In 1999, UNESCO added it to the World Heritage List.

© fotos-aus-der-luft.de

11 Die drei [three] Gleichen is a group of three castles in Thuringia between Gotha and Erfurt. Gleichen is the name of two groups of castles in Germany (The other group consists of two castles near Göttingen in Lower Saxony.), thus named from their resemblance to each other (German: gleich = like, or resembling).

12 The Nuremberg-Erfurt high-speed railway line, which is scheduled to be opened in December 2017, crosses the Erfurt intersection with the A71. As you can see, Germany has a huge issue with graffiti, particularly on public property and infrastructure.

By me.

Last edited by miumiuwonwon; July 10th, 2017 at 04:21 PM.
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #8625
miumiuwonwon

Road trip A4 from Bad Hersfeld to Chemnitz (Part Two)

14 New and old (red arrow) between Weimar and Jena, Thuringia.

15-18 We're entering the Jagdbergtunnel which was built from 2008 until 2014.

19,20 Every day there're about 85.000 vehicles descending into the 600-meter long Lobdeburg-Tunnel near Jena, a university town and the second largest city in Thuringia. Noise pollution in this area will be dramatically reduced. Additionally a large green area has been built on the "roof" of the tunnel using the excavated and transported soil. All of this makes living in Jena considerably better.

By me.

Jozef77, Wilhem275, ChrisZwolle, 8166UY, Attus and 2 others liked this post
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #8626
miumiuwonwon

Road trip A4 from Bad Hersfeld to Chemnitz (Part Three)

21,22 The Hermsdorfer intersection with the A9 will be rebuilt during the next few years.

Current layout in gray, future layout in red.

© www.hermsdorf-regional.de

23 We're approaching Gera, the third-largest city in Thuringia.

24-28 From here on the landscape is a bit hilly.

29 The Chemnitz intersection with the A72. The colorful chimney ahead is a local landmark.

By me.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:28 PM   #8627
clickgr

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I just read about a terrible accident on the A6 near Nuremberg. Truck drove into car waiting behind another truck during congestion in a construction zone. It made the car an accordion bellow the truck in front. Family of 5 inside, husband badly injured, but mother and 3 small children all died. Also both truck drivers with medium injures.

http://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/p...unfaellen.html
They must do something with all these trucks on the German roads! They are too many not only in the Autobahns but everywhere. They increase traffic and some times can be very dangerous for the cars. Perhaps should be a limit in the number of tracks acceding the roads and try to transfer more cargo services inside the country to the railways.
clickgr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #8628
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

The transport minister of Baden-Württemberg Winfried Hermann (The Greens) doesn't cease from the idea of implementing speed limits on stretches of the A81 (Kreuz Hegau and Dreieck Bad Dürrheim) and the A96 (between Achberg and Aitrach).
He blaims drivers from Switzerland for speeding and so a speed limit is necessary to reduce their speed. It's going to be a model experiment for evaluating the impact of a speed limit on road behaviour and safety.

He brakes out again with this topic, although he stopped during the coalition negotiations with the CDU since he knew they didn't like the topic. When the CDU was an oppositional party they accused Mr. Hermann of willing to implementing a general speed limit by the back door.

Source: http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/Ba...t-3210739.html (German)
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #8629
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

I wonder if any company or government is exploring the idea of retrofitting the new auto-brake systems (now they're quite reliable) to old trucks. At a modest price, it would make those "Stauende" accidents almost impossible.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #8630
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
He blaims drivers from Switzerland for speeding and so a speed limit is necessary to reduce their speed. It's going to be a model experiment for evaluating the impact of a speed limit on road behaviour and safety.
In Italy we have speed limits but that doesn't prevent Swiss drivers from speeding. It's amazing the share of Switzerland-plated cars going superfast on Italian motorways.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #8631
clickgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Italy we have speed limits but that doesn't prevent Swiss drivers from speeding. It's amazing the share of Switzerland-plated cars going superfast on Italian motorways.

The problem with the Swiss drivers is not the speed but the aggressive way of driving. German drivers drive fast too but only on good highways when there is no traffic. Swiss drivers are speeding in traffic, brake like racing and stuck behind slower cars impatiently to overtake.

Turf liked this post

Last edited by clickgr; May 19th, 2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #8632
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

I somehow have a feeling they are not doing the same in Switzerland...
When I drove there I got very frustrated by their slowish driving style and hogging the left lane.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #8633
clickgr

Everybody knows how easy is to get ticket for speeding is Switzerland. When they are abroad they are trying to do what they can't do in their country.

Kanadzie, idnaidna liked this post
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #8634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I wonder if any company or government is exploring the idea of retrofitting the new auto-brake systems (now they're quite reliable) to old trucks. At a modest price, it would make those "Stauende" accidents almost impossible.
Yes, these truck accidents are almost always severe and often fatal. They cause huge traffic jams and can block motorways for hours or even a whole day.

It's becoming increasingly common, and politicians only like to blame trucking companies for letting their drivers drive too long and under pressure. While possibly correct, the blame game isn't going to help anything.

Truck driving in Europe doesn't seem so appealing to me. The speed limits are low, volumes are high so you spend 9 hours per day looking at another truck's rear at 80 km/h, parking is often overcrowded and roadside restaurants offer menus that will reduce your life expectancy.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #8635
ChrisZwolle
Road user

140 work zones are planned on the Autobahn in Nordrhein-Westfalen over the next two years.

http://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/noch-...n-nrw-100.html

There are a lot of bridge replacement projects, particularly on A45 from Dortmund to Siegen, but also between Osnabrück and Münster.
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #8636
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Right now the A5 between Heidelberg and Walldorf in southbound direction is closed completely. They're resurfacing the right lane over a distance of 10 km, with a total of 50,000 m² being replaced.

This is how long it takes (bottom one):

Yes, a grand total of 106 hours.

The shoulder in that area is currently being rebuilt so it can be used as an optional third lane in the future (above top item, taking 144 days for the same 10 km stretch while traffic can pass at 80 km/h).

The A5 in that section has around 90,000 vehicles AADT with about 13% trucks. Traffic is being moved to the A6 during the construction, which has a slightly lower AADT. The resurfacing is required due to the heat cracking that occurs occasionally here, affected the A5 in this section last summer in particular and is gauged to occur again this summer. The left lane will be resurfaced in a similar shut-down-and-work operation next year before summer.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #8637
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
140 work zones are planned on the Autobahn in Nordrhein-Westfalen over the next two years.

http://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/noch-...n-nrw-100.html

There are a lot of bridge replacement projects, particularly on A45 from Dortmund to Siegen, but also between Osnabrück and Münster.
Nothing on the A1 bridge in Leverkusen?
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:11 PM   #8638
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by miumiuwonwon View Post
21,22 The Hermsdorfer intersection with the A9 will be rebuilt during the next few years.
A complaint is still pending. Construction works will begin in 2026 at the earliest, renovation works for safety reasons will begin in June 2016 and cost 2.5 million € (news article from 14th April 2016). The state's Ministry of Transport wants to change the priority of BVWP 2030 projects, for instance, the priority of AK Hermsdorf reconstruction should be lowered compared to village bypasses (press release from 20th May 2016).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Nothing on the A1 bridge in Leverkusen?
Construction works are announced to begin in 2017 (I still don't believe it).

Talking about bridges in Leverkusen...

The A1 elevated bridge b/n the Rhine bridge and the A3 interchange is seriously demaged. The section is not able to carry today's traffic (press release from 30th Novembe 2015). It is planend to be replaced by a tunnel or a new elevated bridge. Construction works will last 4-5 years (bridge variant) or 8 years (tunnel variant). Construction works will begin in 2027 at the earliest (news article from 20th May 2016).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Last edited by MichiH; May 21st, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 02:15 PM   #8639
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
The transport minister of Baden-Württemberg Winfried Hermann (The Greens) doesn't cease from the idea of implementing speed limits on stretches of the A81 (Kreuz Hegau and Dreieck Bad Dürrheim) and the A96 (between Achberg and Aitrach).

He brakes out again with this topic, although he stopped during the coalition negotiations with the CDU since he knew they didn't like the topic. When the CDU was an oppositional party they accused Mr. Hermann of willing to implementing a general speed limit by the back door.

Source: http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/Ba...t-3210739.html (German)
Official press release from Mr. Hermann: > click <. He claims that the sections (near the Swiss border) have been chosen because they are north-south routes with low truck share.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 12:54 PM   #8640
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Construction works are announced to begin in 2017 (I still don't believe it).
Yes but why is not listed then? Not that I look forward to the mess the construction will create...

Quote:
Talking about bridges in Leverkusen...

The A1 elevated bridge b/n the Rhine bridge and the A3 interchange is seriously demaged. The section is not able to carry today's traffic (press release from 30th Novembe 2015). It is planend to be replaced by a tunnel or a new elevated bridge. Construction works will last 4-5 years (bridge variant) or 8 years (tunnel variant). Construction works will begin in 2027 at the earliest (news article from 20th May 2016).
Germans should really take a break and think seriously about what's wrong with them. Seriously all the construction works I see take forever, not just road, everything. This is insanely inefficient.
Oh something's seriously damaged? Let's start in 10 years, no problem.
I am convinced 80% of the problem is purely administrative. 15 different administrations need to do their review work (slowly). If a signature is missing on page 129 of some secondary report, then you should start the whole thing again. And don't rush me! I am a Beamter!!

Inefficiency and red tape drive me nuts

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau