daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2016, 03:15 PM   #8761
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
Could it be a topic that stretching roadworks over several years does also stretch the costs over several years' budgets? I mean, German local administrators are "smart" enough to think that shortsighted, I could imagine
Of course! That's what German authorities do - including the Federal Ministry of Transport. It's perfect to get nice news article (thanks to Minister... thanks to member of parliament...) when construction works are funded, when preliminary construction works begin, when constructions works begin, when the groundbreaking ceremony takes place, when construction site is visited when the new road is opened for traffic, when the new road is offiicially opened,...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Heico-M, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2016, 03:20 PM   #8762
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It's announced or expected that the construction of the following new motorway sections will begin in 2016:
A94: north of AS Malching – north of AS Kirchham 6.0km (August 2016 to 2021/22) – projectmap (BY; plan approval: 2006 – March 2013 (stopped); March 2013 – August 2015; immediate enforcement ordered; funded)

[...]

The A94 construction start was scheduled today, see press release. The 6km section costs 81 million € and includes a 450m artificial tunnel. The construction of the first bridge will begin in August 2016. The clearance works for the bridge are already completed. It's planned to open the section together with the 12.5km section b/n Kirchham and Pocking (A3) which does not yet have building permit.
Construction works of the first bridge already began. The official groundbreaking ceremony wil be on 26th July 2016. Source. It's planned to open both sections (see above) in 2022.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 4th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #8763
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

I recently drove on road 191 from Celle to Uelzen and Luneburg and I saw a sign on a house about the locals wanting a motorway to be built.

Is there a plan to extend the A39 from Luneburg to Uelzen and connect it at Wolfsburg?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #8764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Yes it is in planning phase.

If you can read German: http://www.strassenbau.niedersachsen...85&_psmand=135
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #8765
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Of course! That's what German authorities do - including the Federal Ministry of Transport. It's perfect to get nice news article (thanks to Minister... thanks to member of parliament...) when construction works are funded, when preliminary construction works begin, when constructions works begin, when the groundbreaking ceremony takes place, when construction site is visited when the new road is opened for traffic, when the new road is offiicially opened,...
The Federal Minister of Transport, Mr. Dobrindt, has recently (today?) visited the western tube of the Oberau bypass tunnel. Source.
Mr. Dobrindt was already at the groundbreaking ceremony last September. Source.

I think the eastern tube should be visited too....

Old July 5th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #8766
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An urban bridge across the Wertach River in Augsburg collapsed today during construction works.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old July 5th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #8767
bewu1

It is too often. These bridge collapses in DE.

Luki_SL, cinxxx, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #8768
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17459

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
An urban bridge across the Wertach River in Augsburg collapsed today during construction works.
An artictle about the accident : http://www.br.de/nachrichten/schwabe...sturz-100.html

Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #8769
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think this will have some repercussions in the German construction sector. The bridge was deemed beyond repair in 2010, and the strength of the beams was specifically named as a problem. They built temporary supports to keep it in service until replacement started this year. They actually did static calculations for this work with the crane before construction started. The bridge weight was already reduced because the deck was partially removed. But it could have jeopardized the bridge's structural integrity.

And despite those earlier strengthening measures and calculations - it collapsed. And there are thousands - often municipal - bridges in Germany in a similar condition. It's your typical post-war urban bridge, they exist everywhere.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old July 6th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #8770
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Everything is ok. No need to panic. This bridge collapsed during demolition works.

It was just a bad idea by the two workers to drive a 30 t machine on an old and not stable bridge.

What Is Love?

Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #8771
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It looks like the A1 Rhine Bridge at Leverkusen won't reopen for light trucks up to 7.5 tons by the end of the year as was hoped. A 400 mm new crack has been discovered at the cable anchoring point.

The bridge has been closed to all traffic over 3.5 tons since June 2014 due to the extremely poor condition. They are rapidly planning a new bridge across the Rhine.

The crack will be repaired in August, which requires a full closure of the bridge to prevent it from swinging and interfering with the repairs.

The Rhine Bridge at Leverkusen is a cable-stayed bridge and opened in 1965. It was the final segment of the Autobahn Ring Road around Köln (Cologne) to open, making the city one of the first in Europe with a motorway ring.

Leverkusener Rheinbrücke Panorama by diezin, on Flickr

Luki_SL, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #8772
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 118

Great, I use this bridge every day.

Quote:
They are rapidly planning a new bridge across the Rhine.
you forgot the /s
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #8773
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a frequent occurance of severe truck crashes in Germany. Many of these crashes involve one or more trucks driving into traffic jams, often at roadworks, with full speed, resulting in fatalities, damage and long delays.

12 July: family of 3 killed when a truck crushes a car + caravan on A7 near Kassel.
8 July: Truck crashes into traffic jam on A60 near Mainz, catches fire. Truck cabin decimated, driver killed
7 July: Three trucks crash into traffic jam on A14 near Halle.
7 July: 77-year old trucker crashes into stauende on A61 near Mörstadt
7 July: concrete mixer drives into traffic jam on A73.
7 July: the number of truck crashes rises 'dramatically' in the state of Sachsen-Anhalt 'häufig am stauende'.
6 July: Fatal truck accident on A2 near Irxleben, truck cabin completely detached from truck, drove into traffic jam.
5 July: Truck crashes into traffic jam on A6 near Mannheim, truck driver killed
4 July: 11 vehicles crash into traffic jam on A6 near Mannheim, 2 fatalities, 14 injured (exact same location as 5 July accident)
4 July: truck crashes into traffic jam on A57 near Neuss.

Now, Germany is a large country with a high volume of trucks, but this an important issue. The impact of trucks driving into traffic jams is almost always severe, often with fatalities or injuries and lot of damage and delays. Nearly all of these fatal truck crashes are associated with traffic jams at workzones.

Perhaps they should secure traffic flow leading into workzones better. They sometimes utilize mobile traffic management gantries on locations without permanent active traffic management in the Netherlands. Perhaps this is something for Germany to consider.

Old July 13th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #8774
detreinbek

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
There is a frequent occurance of severe truck crashes in Germany...
A very good idea

Last edited by bogdymol; July 14th, 2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: You don't have to quote the entire post above you, especially if it's long and includes also photos.
detreinbek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #8775
bewu1

Perhaps 77 years old man should not be a truck driver.

Blackraven liked this post
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #8776
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
Perhaps 77 years old man should not be a truck driver.
I agree.

I don't want to be discriminating against old people and senior citizens.....but let's face it, it's better for 70+ year old person to just stay at home and enjoy retirement rather than doing driving for many hours each day.

The human body ages through time and the physicality of such a task would be too much for anyone in that age....

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #8777
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Truck drivers over the retirement age appears to be relatively common. There was another crash on A1 near Hollenstedt yesterday where a 73-year old trucker crashed into a traffic jam.

Ein laut ersten Polizeiangaben 73-Jähriger übersah gegen 16.15 Uhr offenbar das Stauende und landete mit seinem Brummi im Heck eines vor ihm fahrenden Lasters. Die Wucht des Aufpralls, war so groß, dass der Trucker in seinem Führerhaus eingeklemmt wurde.

Old July 14th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #8778
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
The human body ages through time and the physicality of such a task would be too much for anyone in that age....
Under European-wide rules, above age 50 (unless you got it after you turned 45, then from that date) all driver licenses for truck drivers have to be extended with a medical check up at least every 5 years.

Some countries - not Germany, of course - have tighter rules on top of that, e.g. in Austria from age 60 a checkup is required every 2 years.

kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #8779
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Perhaps they should secure traffic flow leading into workzones better.
Such accidents with trucks plowing in the back end of a traffic jam rarely happen at construction sites, or rather near where traffic jams at construction sites* are predicted and can be managed; in fact you'll usually see trucks starting to actively "corral" traffic into construction sites themselves as soon as you see the first warning signs a couple km ahead.

* of course such jams will often get much longer during rush hour.

kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #8780
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato2k8 View Post
Under European-wide rules, above age 50 (unless you got it after you turned 45, then from that date) all driver licenses for truck drivers have to be extended with a medical check up at least every 5 years.

Some countries - not Germany, of course - have tighter rules on top of that, e.g. in Austria from age 60 a checkup is required every 2 years.
In Italy also licenses for car drivers (B category) need to be renewed every 5 years after the age of 50 (it's every 10 years before), and every year after the age of 80.
However medical tests aren't that serious (except of elderly people), unless one has some health issues, they only check wether you need glasses or not.
Some time ago a 93 years old Austrian guy was caught driving his car wrong way on A23 in Italy. His license was valid until 2023.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau