daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2016, 10:52 AM   #8801
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepov View Post
You don't drive a lot, or you are just lucky man
Or just clever . I usually don't drive Friday afternoon, try to avoid rush hour* or summer holiday weekends.

I often drive from west of Würzburg to Stuttgart for business.
- There are many construction sites on A3 (2x3 widening). I usually drive there early in the morning (<6AM) or take a detour via Landstraßen.
- A81 b/n Heilbronn and Stuttgart is usually very busy during rush hour. For that reason, I try to drive there < 7AM or > 9AM. Nevertheless, I never had a major accident with closure there. I've never stopped longer than 5 minutes there, it's always stop & go. It does only happen very rare that there's no stop & go period or minimum a short period with reduced speed on 2x3 A81 (~50km/h).

Quote:
It happens quite often, and the bad thing is a delay in radio traffic info or false info.
I often see long jams on the opposite carriageway. Maybe I'm really a lucky man . I already drove more than 20,000km in 2016...

Quote:
Why they dont put warning signs + speed limit AFTER roadworks on autobahn? Lately i got hit by the rock on the autobahn which was previously renovated (and got to change the windscreen )
I think that's just bad luck. I even think that the warnings + speed limit remains too long on sections renovated and new sections. It's annoying and most people ignore it and drive faster! I think if you drive slow a stone can hit you anyway if other cars drive faster. You cannot avoid it by driving slow.

I had some cracks in windshields but it never happened near construction sites...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2016, 08:58 PM   #8802
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Or just clever . I usually don't drive Friday afternoon, try to avoid rush hour* or summer holiday weekends.
I avoid those as well. Last month I had the option of driving the last leg home on a Friday afternoon / early evening from Denmark, but given the mess on A7 near Hamburg I decided to stay one more night in Denmark and drive the last 500 km on Saturday morning, which turned out fine (I had to take a different route through Bremen to avoid a backup on A1 though).

Many people are dependent on school holidays though. In the Netherlands, construction companies collectively close for business over a 3-week period, so people working in such industries can often not go on vacation outside that period. It's somewhat like the French collective shutdown in August, but on a smaller scale.

In addition, many people book their accommodation which often only offers Saturday-to-Saturday arrangements, which results in the high volume of traffic on Friday and Saturdays.

Throw in the record number of Baustellen and long delays are guaranteed, especially on locations with lane closures. Some work zones on major routes only have 1 lane open, for example on A3 from Nürnberg to Regensburg or on A7 from Würzburg to Ulm.

The problem this year is that many alternate routes are also full of road works. For example from the Netherlands to Austria the usual route is A3-A9 or A61-A5-A8, so people looking for an alternate route choose A7 to go south. But this year there are a lot of road works on A7 as well, with one 15 km Baustelle having only 1 lane open (near Marktbreit) and last weekend also near Aalen, leading to very long delays on what would otherwise have been a quieter alternate route compared to A3-A9 or A5-A8.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 10:03 PM   #8803
MichiH

There was a terror attack in Munich this evening. 3 guys killed ~6 people in a shopping center. Public transport is stopped, rail stations are closed. People should stay at home. Police prompt travelers to leave Autobahns around Munich so that action forces can reach Munich. Source.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

AsHalt liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2016, 01:43 PM   #8804
MichiH

A44: AS Waldkappel – AS Ringgau 7.9km (July 2016 to Mid 2020) – projectmap

The construction of the future Eschwege interchange began last week. I think the section can be called 'under construction' now. Source.

B49: AS Tiefenbach – AS Leun 2.1km (August 2016 to Late 2018) – projectmap

The groundbreaking ceremony took place yesterday, see press release (2). The indicated section length is 2.45km but 2.1km on the project page. In addition, the project page indicates that construction works will begin in August 2016. The estimated completion date is late 2018. The road will feature 2x2 lanes plus hard shoulders. The estimated costs are 13.7 million €. Actual AADT: 18,800 vehicles/day.

32km of B49 are planned to be widened to 2x2. It's split into 13 sections. 7 sections are completed, 3 u/c, 3 in planning stage.

belerophon, Luki_SL liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:37 PM   #8805
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I drove from Wester Germany to Hungary on Thursday. 1,140 km, 15 hours, 4 hours of delay between Limburg and Regensburg (400 km in 7.5 hours). Some of them was simple rush hour congestion (e.g. around Frankfrt at 8-9 AM), some of them was caused by road works (e.g. the mentioned works at Neumarkt i.d. Oberpfalz).
For such a long way it is almost impossible to comletely avoid rush hours, especially that I had to get up early the next day so I did not want to arrive late night.
However, I think, the next time I'll rather fly again, as usually.

(Rheinbach - A61 - Koblenz - A48 - Dernbach - A3 - Passau - A8 - Wels - A25 - Haid - A1 - Steinhäusl - A21 - Vösendorf - S1 - Schwechat - A4 - Nickelsdorf - M1 - Budapest)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #8806
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NDR aired a report last night about rest areas in Northern Germany.

Two reporters visited several Autobahn rest areas, mostly along A1 and A7. The painted picture is not positive, toilets are extremely dirty, rest areas uniniviting for longer stops and lots of garbage around. Picnic tables are surrounded by semi trucks and some are in disrepair. The restaurants are overpriced and not attractive.

What are your experiences with rest areas? I usually take a leak on the edge of the rest area, the toilets are almost always dirty. I rather go to a shopping center, McDonald's or IKEA to eat.
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #8807
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
NDR aired a report last night about rest areas in Northern Germany.

Two reporters visited several Autobahn rest areas, mostly along A1 and A7. The painted picture is not positive, toilets are extremely dirty, rest areas uniniviting for longer stops and lots of garbage around. Picnic tables are surrounded by semi trucks and some are in disrepair. The restaurants are overpriced and not attractive.

What are your experiences with rest areas? I usually take a leak on the edge of the rest area, the toilets are almost always dirty. I rather go to a shopping center, McDonald's or IKEA to eat.
Agreed, there is one rest area between Munich and Salzburg where they make fresh fairly healthy bagels but all others I have ever been offer overpriced, poor quality food.

The toilets are disgusting, even those at petrol stations where you pay 70 cents. It is nice they removed the water consuming urinals and replaced them with urinals that don't flush anymore but they stink like hell and are without exception mega dirty.

Worst autobahn toilet for me is the one at the border between DE and AT near Lindau, yuck and avoid!

I try to pack some food at home and avoid having to make breaks on the autobahn. When I do have to stop I try to find a tree on the far end of the rest area for a quick leak.
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #8808
MichiH

Quote:
I usually use PWCs because I don't have to pay there. Sometimes it's really very dirty but most of them are ok. At T&R you have to pay 70 cent (but you can cash it in the shop) and I think it's ALWAYS clean!

"Tank und Rast" restaurants are crap but fast food restaurtants have the same range and taste like everywhere. I think Autohof restaurant food is much better compared to Tank und Rast although I've not eaten there for a long time. You can also buy a little (warm or cold) snack in shops of gas stations which is usually ok.

Old July 27th, 2016, 05:30 AM   #8809
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
The toilets are disgusting, even those at petrol stations where you pay 70 cents. It is nice they removed the water consuming urinals and replaced them with urinals that don't flush anymore but they stink like hell and are without exception mega dirty.
How are these better? They are always like you say, mega dirty and guaranteed to stink since they have no flush function.

Consuming water is essentially irrelevant since these areas typically all run on a well and septic system so the water come from the ground and go back to the ground...
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #8810
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
At T&R you have to pay 70 cent (but you can cash it in the shop) and I think it's ALWAYS clean!
There was another report about the Sanifair toilets, how they are not very clean either, full of bacteria. See this report from ARD (from 18:00).
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #8811
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 435

I had a trip last month and we stopped at two rest stops in Germany. One was at a nearly widened section of the A3 and was brand new and thus very nice.

The other one was at the A9 ~25km north of Munich and older but still decent.
I didn't visit the Toilets as I was not willing to try my luck with them but none of the girls in my group complained, so it couldn't have been that catastrophic

They both had a fast food restaurant and a seperate cantina but I only ate at the fast food place, so I don't know how good the cantinas were. You could also buy snacks and drinks at both places but they were very overpriced.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #8812
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

German autobahn rest stop prices are astronomical. In the UK at least I am used to a service station having a WH Smith, Boots or Spar where one could get a bottle of water and a pack of crisps for maybe 2 pounds, more expensive than in a supermarket sure, but still doable. The last autohof I went to on the A3 wanted 2,99 for a 500ml water.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #8813
ChrisZwolle
Road user

B180 Lutherstadt Eisleben

Some photos of B180 in the area of Eisleben in Sachsen-Anhalt. It is somewhat of a through route for traffic from Erfurt to Magdeburg, since the area lacks a north-south Autobahn.

B180-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

B180-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

B180-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

B180-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

B180-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

B180-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

B180-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, SRC_100, Moravian, loloo liked this post
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #8814
MichiH

I don't want to comment the following story about a new German road under construction because it might be censored....

http://www.mz-web.de/landkreis-anhal...-b-6n-24465446

@ALL: Feel free to translate or summarize it.

Old July 27th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #8815
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 435

A number of endangered toads were found to be crossing the planned alignment of the B6n on a regular basis. They now plan to slightly elevate part of the route and build ca. 250 small underpasses (toad-crossings) so that they can cross after the route is built for an additional 10 mio. €

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #8816
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Toads vs roads
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #8817
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Friedewald

Another segment of 1930s design Reichsautobahn has disappeared. A 5.5 km segment of A4 has been officially inaugurated today near Friedewald. They rebuilt A4, significantly on a new alignment, at a cost of € 67 million. The works were executed from September 2012 to July 2016. It contains a 290 meter long bridge.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

TM_Germany, Moravian, SRC_100 liked this post
Old July 29th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #8818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oh goody, they're going to narrow A3 at Würzburg to only a single lane tomorrow at the Heidingsfeld Bridge, in the direction of Nürnberg. They have to carry out urgent repairs. There will be single-lane traffic from 6:30 - 15:00 hrs. On what ADAC calls the busiest travel day of the year.
Old July 29th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #8819
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Two reporters visited several Autobahn rest areas, mostly along A1 and A7.
I personally rather like the format of the older rest areas along the stretch of the A7 south of Würzburg. They're built in such a way as to allow maximum shadowing and somewhat segregated, not lane-like parking while still keeping everything well within view and thus under social control. In my opinion the only thing they're missing is some small kiosk, but that's of course all about the concession thing.

Example e.g. at 49.358764° N 10.216560° E near Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Sadly Bavaria is on a renovation spree in which it replaces existing rest areas with a new standardized format that maximizes parking space within the allotted room especially for trucks while getting rid of every single bit of shadow, undergrowth or chilly benches on the side and stuff like that.

Quote:
What are your experiences with rest areas?
There should be designated non-cruising zones, if you know what i mean. Nearly impossible to find on weekend nights near any city in Germany.

Quote:
I think Autohof restaurant food is much better compared to Tank und Rast
Tank & Rast has free wifi though in most cases (60 minutes via Telekom), occasionally set up quite well enough to also cover most of the parking area.

Quote:
There was another report about the Sanifair toilets, how they are not very clean either, full of bacteria.
Beats taking a dump in the woods any day. Or crouching over one of the stainless steel bowls found at most parking-only rest stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
The last autohof I went to on the A3 wanted 2,99 for a 500ml water.
That's not that high actually - even by European standards. Germany has about similar prices for consumables at highway stations to Switzerland or touristic transit areas in Spain and Italy.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #8820
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Oh goody, they're going to narrow A3 at Würzburg to only a single lane tomorrow at the Heidingsfeld Bridge, in the direction of Nürnberg. They have to carry out urgent repairs. There will be single-lane traffic from 6:30 - 15:00 hrs. On what ADAC calls the busiest travel day of the year.
There is currently a 17 kilometer traffic jam with over 90 minutes delay to get through there... However, A3 east of Nürnberg is also pretty bad, with delays fluctuating from 40 to 90 minutes at the road works.

junky liked this post

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau