daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #8841
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another fatal truck crash occurred Saturday on A3 east of Nürnberg. There was a traffic jam at the road works at 4 a.m. and a truck plowed full speed into stationary traffic. One family of 3 from France was killed and another German family in the next car was critically injured.

Three similar truck crashes occurred in July, in all three cases a family of four was killed when a truck plowed full speed into stationary traffic at road works. On 18 May a similar crash occured nearby on A6 which also killed a family of four.

I never approach a stationary traffic jam on the right lane in Germany. These massive crashes where trucks plow into traffic jams occur almost on a daily basis. Often only the trucker gets killed when he crashes into the truck ahead, but when there are passenger cars involved, the number of fatalities gets higher.
This things seems to be happening with alarming regularity in Germany.
I don't remember any recent reports of similar crashes in the UK or Poland.

Why is that? Do media report them more often in Germany or something else is going on?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #8842
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

This article about surging truck accidents at traffic jams blames the use of smartphones and laptops while driving. It says that 60 km/h speed limits and driving assisting systems make driving more monotonous. Emergency braking systems are seen as a solution.

http://www.eurotransport.de/news/lkw...l-8288480.html
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #8843
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Why is that? Do media report them more often in Germany or something else is going on?
It's happening for years... I remember 2x3 widening of A1 b/n Bremen and Hamburg (2008-2012; 16 fatalities) when accidents like this happened quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post
This article about surging truck accidents at traffic jams blames the use of smartphones and laptops while driving. It says that 60 km/h speed limits and driving assisting systems make driving more monotonous. Emergency braking systems are seen as a solution.

http://www.eurotransport.de/news/lkw...l-8288480.html
Bullshit. The only solution is staying at home... The question is, why does it happen more frequently in Germany compared to neighboring countries?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #8844
Autostädter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Bullshit. The only solution is staying at home... The question is, why does it happen more frequently in Germany compared to neighboring countries?
I would say that we probably have more long-term road works than other countries, therefore more traffic jams. Basically, we are also a very large country and an important transit country for trucks and other traffic. So there's a lot of traffic here in general.
Old August 10th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #8845
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post
I would say that we probably have more long-term road works than other countries, therefore more traffic jams. Basically, we are also a very large country and an important transit country for trucks and other traffic. So there's a lot of traffic here in general.
Agree. But your news article is reporting about other stuff. I don't think that truck driver drive careless in Germany than in other countries.

I think the article is just an excuse of stupid Germans...

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old August 10th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #8846
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Well, the extreme amount of construction zones significantly increases the chances for congestion on the Autobahn. During this summer it seems as if almost all congestion is due to construction.

Common causes mentioned in the media include truckers who are distracted by a phone or tablet, a while ago a trucker plowed into another truck on A4 near Aachen. He was recovered dead, but had a laptop in his lap...

Some of these severe crashes occur at night, when traffic congestion is less predictable due to the low traffic volumes. However, for a truck to plow full speed into stationary traffic at night, that means the driver must've had his eyes off the road for a very long period of time. That's not a 3-second distraction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #8847
Autostädter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Agree. But your news article is reporting about other stuff. I don't think that truck driver drive careless in Germany than in other countries.
The constant large number of road works comes up in the media from time to time, however the question, whether this is down to bad planning and could be avoided, is hardly ever asked. That's my impression, but I have only really been paying attention to this topic since it came up on this thread recently.
Old August 11th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #8848
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Motorway A1 will be closed from this night up to Monday morning between Leverkusen and Köln-Niehl, i.e. the Rhine bridge, in both directions. As already reported several times in this forum, this bridge has a very bad state of repair, now some tears have to be repaired urgently.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #8849
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rheinbrücke Leverkusen

The Rhine River Bridge at Leverkusen (Rheinbrücke Leverkusen) was closed over the weekend (see Attus' post). The traffic impact was not extreme, though Friday afternoon logged a northbound delay of 1.5 hours via A4 and A3. But otherwise it wasn't too bad.

They are going to build a physical width restriction near the bridge to prevent the last 150 trucks per day from driving over the bridge. It will be similar to those used on A6 near Saarbrücken, A643 near Mainz and B44 in Ludwigshafen.

There will be 200 meter long concrete barriers with a width of 2.2 m on the two left lanes, and a 3.75 m wide lane on the right with a measuring device, traffic lights and a gate that will close if a truck attempts to drive through it. The speed limit will be reduced to 40 km/h. It will be operational late September or early October.

It is expected that this configuration will cause additional congestion, as all traffic has to slow down to 40 km/h and drive through narrow lanes. It will be a permanent fixture until the first new half of the bridge is completed, which is planned for 2020.

The width restriction on the Fechinger Talbrücke of A6 near Saarbrücken:
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #8850
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17440

Quote:
They are going to build a physical width restriction near the bridge to prevent the last 150 trucks per day from driving over the bridge. It will be similar to those used on A6 near Saarbrücken, A643 near Mainz and B44 in Ludwigshafen.

Is there any plan to repair or to build new bridge on A6 near Saarbrücken ?
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #8851
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
and a 3.75 m wide lane on the right with a measuring device, traffic lights and a gate that will close if a truck attempts to drive through it.
So a vehicle over 2.2 m but under the limited weight (typically vans and RVs) will be allowed on the bridge?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #8852
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It looks like it, yes. The weight limit is 3.5 tons.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #8853
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Without following this thread too closely - I was on a business trip in Denmark last week and drove German A3+A7 from Pocking border all the way to Flensburg. I can't believe how many road works there were. Never seen so many on one motorway in my whole life. Especially A7 was a nightmare with most bridges at a 80km/h limit and the section from Hamburg towards the Danish border where there are endless road works. Once you get out of the construction site, you can't get ahead because of trucks on both lanes driving 90 km/h.

Now my question is - do they actually work on those bridges and widening projects? Because I haven't really seen any activity on site. Seems like they just reduced the speed limit on the damaged bridges and wait what happens!?
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #8854
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You mean stuff like this? Many bridges of A7 are in poor condition. I took this photo in June on a bridge in the vincity of Fulda. They split the lanes to reduce the load and stress on the bridge.

A7 talbrücke by European Roads, on Flickr

Another situation on A1 near Dortmund. They moved the lanes outward on a newer part of the bridge to reduce the load on the older (inner) part of the bridge.

It has been reported that basically all bridges on A1 near Dortmund, including small underpasses, need to be demolished.

A1 Kamen by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza, rudiwien, celevac, Luki_SL liked this post
Old August 17th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #8855
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A very large truck parking area has been built at Raststätte Kraichgau-Süd along A6 from Heidelberg to Heilbronn. According to a media report, it has 288 parking spots for trucks, which may be the largest online parking area in Germany.

The parking on the lower right belongs to a stadium.
Old August 17th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #8856
A448

Likes (Received): 1

It's so bad to see that the progress on building new truck stops is so slow. There should be enough open space next to the Autobahnen that pass through rural and flat areas like e.g. Niedersachsen. In general, Germany needs to spend waaay more money on infrastructure IMO...
A448 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #8857
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Arbeiten an der A 8 zwischen Schwemlingen und Wellingen sind dem Zeitplan voraus

A8: AS Merzig-Wellingen – AS Merzig-Schwemlingen 3.5km (April 2015 to November 2017) [2nd c/w] – project – map

Bis Ende 2018 soll der Verkehr über die vierspurig ausgebaute Autobahn laufen.

http://www.saarbruecker-zeitung.de/s...446556,6225166

So the project is 'ahead of schedule', but it will open a year later than on MichiH's list.

Luki_SL, Heico-M, MichiH liked this post
Old August 17th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #8858
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
It is expected that this configuration will cause additional congestion, as all traffic has to slow down to 40 km/h and drive through narrow lanes. It will be a permanent fixture until the first new half of the bridge is completed, which is planned for 2020.
******* Hell

4 years is what they need to build a roundabout in Germany. I doubt we will see any half bridge completed in 2020.
But I am being negative. Surely a legion of hard-working planners, politics, engineers and technicians are finalizing the latest details of the construction plan as I am writing this email
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #8859
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Arbeiten an der A 8 zwischen Schwemlingen und Wellingen sind dem Zeitplan voraus
I actually had to read that one twice
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:49 PM   #8860
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
Is there any plan to repair or to build new bridge on A6 near Saarbrücken ?
Yes, planning procedure and construction will last minimum 8 years though. The Saarland Ministry of Transport has announced to hire additional employees. Estimated construction costs: 60 million €. The viaduct is announced to be opened for trucks by the end of 2016.

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau