daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #8861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

A31 Meppen

A31 near Meppen is being renovated until 2018. They are widening the carriageway by 0.5 m and are installing new crash barriers. In addition, they will replace the pavement and repair bridges. This stretch of Autobahn opened to traffic in 1994.

I was bored today, so I decided to take a test drive with my other dashcam in my new car, so I drove to Meppen and back (200 kilometers).

I took a few photos from an overpass north of the Meppen cloverleaf.

1. There is a 2-0 construction zone, all lanes run on the northbound carriageway. There is a shoulder in the direction of Oberhausen.

Baustelle A31 Meppen-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. The end of the construction zone near the B402 cloverleaf.

Baustelle A31 Meppen-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

Baustelle A31 Meppen-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. They were stripping the pavement. It's a continuous process with trucks driving on and off all the time.

Baustelle A31 Meppen-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

Baustelle A31 Meppen-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

Baustelle A31 Meppen-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

Baustelle A31 Meppen-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

rudiwien, 8166UY, Festin, Luki_SL, devo and 1 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #8862
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Without following this thread too closely - I was on a business trip in Denmark last week and drove German A3+A7 from Pocking border all the way to Flensburg. I can't believe how many road works there were. Never seen so many on one motorway in my whole life. Especially A7 was a nightmare with most bridges at a 80km/h limit and the section from Hamburg towards the Danish border where there are endless road works. Once you get out of the construction site, you can't get ahead because of trucks on both lanes driving 90 km/h.

Now my question is - do they actually work on those bridges and widening projects? Because I haven't really seen any activity on site. Seems like they just reduced the speed limit on the damaged bridges and wait what happens!?
I absolutely agree!

I guess you left A3 at AK Biebelried (east of Würzburg). That means, you missed the A3 Aschaffenburg - Würzburg which is the most congested "Baustellen" Autobahn in southern Germany. It's everyday on the traffic news. 10km+ jams likely.

A7 widening north of Hamburg is a PPP project and construction is to be completed within 5 years which is quite good. Conventional widening projects typically last about 3-5 years per section.......

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

celevac liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #8863
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A very large truck parking area has been built at Raststätte Kraichgau-Süd along A6 from Heidelberg to Heilbronn. According to a media report, it has 288 parking spots for trucks, which may be the largest online parking area in Germany.
It was enlarged and opened in December 2015. Raststätte Kraichgau-Nord - just at the westbound carriageway - is also planned to be enlarged. It was announced that construction works should begin in Mid 2016. Estimated construction period: 1 1/2 years.

Quote:
The parking on the lower right belongs to a stadium.
Football stadium Sinsheim. It's the home of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old August 18th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #8864
MichiH

Quote:
Arbeiten an der A 8 zwischen Schwemlingen und Wellingen sind dem Zeitplan voraus

A8: AS Merzig-Wellingen – AS Merzig-Schwemlingen 3.5km (April 2015 to November 2017) [2nd c/w] – project – map

Bis Ende 2018 soll der Verkehr über die vierspurig ausgebaute Autobahn laufen.

http://www.saarbruecker-zeitung.de/s...446556,6225166

So the project is 'ahead of schedule', but it will open a year later than on MichiH's list.
I read news articles like that quite often...

It was annouced that 4 lanes will be available in "winter 2017", source (I guess it means winter 2017/18). A press release for the groundbreaking ceremony (it's no longer online but that's why I always copy the text, it's the 2nd press release: http://www.autobahn-online.de/phorum...556#msg-176556) reported that the 3rd construction phase is to be completed by November 2017. That's why I thought 4 lanes should be available in November 2017. It's planned to renovate the existing carriageway in 2018 though. I think that's why the news article ends with the suboptimal sentense that 4 lanes should be available in late 2018... Journalists...

Old August 18th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #8865
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Without following this thread too closely - I was on a business trip in Denmark last week and drove German A3+A7 from Pocking border all the way to Flensburg. I can't believe how many road works there were. Never seen so many on one motorway in my whole life. Especially A7 was a nightmare with most bridges at a 80km/h limit and the section from Hamburg towards the Danish border where there are endless road works. Once you get out of the construction site, you can't get ahead because of trucks on both lanes driving 90 km/h.

Now my question is - do they actually work on those bridges and widening projects? Because I haven't really seen any activity on site. Seems like they just reduced the speed limit on the damaged bridges and wait what happens!?
your route was a bad choice

Regensburg - A3 - A7 - Hannover

or the same distance with better motorways:

Regensburg - A93 - A72 - A9 - A14 - A2 - Hannover

i had to go often to Hannover and only one time we use A3-A7, the way back the other option and then always over Magdeburg/Halle, in east germany the motorways are in better condition
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #8866
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I drove several times from Hungary to Denmark and I always (except for the very first time) choose that route via Hof - Magdeburg - Braunschweig. A little bit more complicated on the map but better to drive.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #8867
MichiH

Christian_AT's route is much better but A2 might be a problem and you still have the A7 Hannover - Hamburg - Bordesholm.

The partially u/c A14 could solve the problem on the way to Hamburg/Denmark but the still announced completion date (2020) is impossible and I have no hope that it'll be completed "soon". Minimum the Elbe crossing section may take much longer but a short gap should be a minor problem.

btw: A7 2x3 widening (8km) b/n AD Walsrode (A27) and Bad Fallingbostel has recently been started. To be completed by fall 2019, estimated construction costs: 58.3 million €, see press release (2).

8km 2x3 widening takes 3 years but 2 additional sections are still to be widened somewhere down the road.
65km 2x3 widening north of Hamburg takes only about 4 years (8 sections)...

ukraroad liked this post
Old August 18th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #8868
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Christian_AT's route is much better but A2 might be a problem and you still have the A7 Hannover - Hamburg - Bordesholm.

The partially u/c A14 could solve the problem on the way to Hamburg/Denmark but the still announced completion date (2020) is impossible and I have no hope that it'll be completed "soon". Minimum the Elbe crossing section may take much longer but a short gap should be a minor problem.

btw: A7 2x3 widening (8km) b/n AD Walsrode (A27) and Bad Fallingbostel has recently been started. To be completed by fall 2019, estimated construction costs: 58.3 million €, see press release (2).

8km 2x3 widening takes 3 years but 2 additional sections are still to be widened somewhere down the road.
65km 2x3 widening north of Hamburg takes only about 4 years (8 sections)...
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions - I will keep that in mind for next time.
Can't wait to find out if they manage to finish that long widening section on A7 within the 5-year-period
Old August 18th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #8869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A14 is being renovated, they are replacing the concrete that is affected by 'concrete cancer'. There are frequently traffic jams in the northbound direction past Halle.
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #8870
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another case of a truck plowing into a traffic jam, this time on A61 near Koblenz. A Dutch trucker plowed into a car + travel trailer (caravan) and destroyed the trailer and came to a stop on top of the car. The car occupants were also Dutch, the driver was killed and his wife was taken to the hospital.

Old August 18th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #8871
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Speaking of road construction work, I drove twice along the Autobahn 9 between Saxony and Nuremberg during the past two weeks and took some pictures of the recent road construction work there. Can you count how many road construction sites appear in my pictures below, alone on the stretch between TROCKAU(322,7 km) and KREUZ NÜRNBERG(372,8 km)?

Southbound. Typical traffic of a weekday on the A9.

Sometimes a small accident can cause huge tailbacks. And most of the time it's too late for police to handle them.

The winding road is quite eye catching when you are driving it down.

Half of road being repaved at the Raststätte "Fränkische Schweiz/Pegnitz".

Look who's woking there!

Where there is a Baustelle there's Stau.

Well, sometimes you may see an exception... Sometimes...

Baustelle again after a few kilometers' "free ride".

Once you see those railroad bridges, you know you're approaching Nuremberg.

It always a nightmare driving around Nuremberg.

By me.

Last edited by miumiuwonwon; August 19th, 2016 at 10:38 AM.
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #8872
miumiuwonwon

Northbound. Starting from Nuremberg.

Two weeks earlier on the same place. Who says the Germans are not efficient?!

It's around 9pm in Sunday evening. So enjoy the ride!

By me.
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:15 AM   #8873
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Another case of a truck plowing into a traffic jam, this time on A61 near Koblenz. A Dutch trucker plowed into a car + travel trailer (caravan) and destroyed the trailer and came to a stop on top of the car. The car occupants were also Dutch, the driver was killed and his wife was taken to the hospital.

Tsk tsk

How many more innocent people have to perish due to such incidents?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #8874
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Raststätte Kraichgau-Nord - just at the westbound carriageway - is also planned to be enlarged. It was announced that construction works should begin in Mid 2016. Estimated construction period: 1 1/2 years.
It's actually more of a reconfiguration - there's no space for any real enlargement on the north side of the A6. In fact, taken by itself it will be downsized in this reconfiguration. On the northern side, virtually all truck parking will be removed and trucks will instead be redirected to the southern side - that's what the second bridge in the northwest corner of the aerial picture is being built for since last year, and also the reason why the truck parking zone on the south side is that large. The current 18 official parking spots for trucks on the northern side will be built over with the ramp and roundabout connecting the bridge - see southern side for how much space that needs.

The six-year-old Planfeststellungsbeschluss for both Raststätten can be found here.

Quote:
According to a media report, it has 288 parking spots for trucks, which may be the largest online parking area in Germany.
It's still far too little for demand btw, at least on weekday nights. Trucks fill up the entire caravan/"car+trailer" parking zone and squeeze into the car-only parking areas. There have been measures taken against that too by now, with parking zones for cars only six cars wide so you can't fit in trucks length-wise.

Planned full parking outfit (in parentheses compared to before):
  • Kraichgau Nord
    • 147 car parking spots (+36)
    • 7 bus parking spots (+1)
    • 7 caravan/car+trailer spots (+7)
    • 2 time-limited truck parking spots
    • 4 heavy-/outsized-cargo parking spots on 100m parking lane
  • Kraichgau Süd
    • 174 car parking spots (+106)
    • 10 bus parking spots (+4)
    • 10 caravan/car+trailer spots (+10)
    • 3 heavy-/outsized-cargo parking spots on 65m parking lane
  • separate Truck Parking Zone (on former Kraichgau Süd site)
    • 152 truck parking spots for south side (+134)
    • 136 truck parking spots for north side (+118)
Total 288 trucks plus 321 cars plus a couple dozen others.

About 15 km east of Kraichgau on the A6 is the Bad Rappenau Nord/Süd Autohof with a combined 130 truck and 140 car parking spots; about 30 km further east is the Hohenlohe Nord/Süd Raststätte which just a few months ago finished expansion to a combined 200 truck and 300 car parking spots. Plus of course the smaller rest stops inbetween that offer about another 100 truck parking spots combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A448 View Post
There should be enough open space next to the Autobahnen that pass through rural and flat areas like e.g. Niedersachsen.
The main transit routes ain't up north with the flatlanders.

The problem with the A6 and parking is mostly that you can't expand the smaller rest stops until the 3+3 throughout widening of the A6 at least gets past the planning and funding and into the construction phase. There's plans in the drawers to provide somewhere around 1,000 additional parking spots along the 120 km of the A6 in Baden-Württemberg once that widening gets underway.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #8875
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Tsk tsk

How many more innocent people have to perish due to such incidents?
would it be cheap / effective to put some kind of flashing "STAU" sign (or the three cars) maybe 5 - 10 km ahead of the actual works, and if a small radar sees traffic flow in front of the works is say, < 50 km/h, it starts to flash aggressively?
Old August 19th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #8876
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

The danger in that is that if it's too far away from the actual traffic jam drivers will think it's a malfunction and then it has no effect at all.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #8877
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

How about a siren? If you're not paying attention to the road you will still hear it. It could get quite annoying though if you're stuck next to it. Or maybe they could implement some warning system through the on-board toll system.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #8878
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They operate a device at some construction zones that gives a warning in several languages to CB radio. It turns off when traffic is stopped near the transmitter, so truckers standing in a traffic jam aren't annoyed by it. However, it depends on truckers having their CB turned on.
Old August 19th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #8879
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

^ That sounds like a good way to go. Truckers should be required to always have their beepers turned on. An emitter would have to be placed along the highway every few miles. It could work a bit like a balise
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #8880
miumiuwonwon

Road trip A2 from Kamener Kreuz to Magdeburg (1)

Bundesautobahn 2 is one of the most important autobahns in Germany, connecting the Ruhr area in the west to Berlin in the east. The A2 starts at the junction with the A3 near Oberhausen, passes through the Ruhr area, then the Münsterland and the metropolitan area "Hannover-Braunschweig-Göttingen-Wolfsburg". After crossing the former inner German border it continues through the Magdeburger Börde and finally merges into the Berliner Ring shortly before reaching Berlin. Major cities such as Dortmund, Hannover, Braunschweig and Magdeburg are situated very close to the A2.

Eastbound.
1, We're leaving now the Kamener Kreuz. It was opened in 1937 and was the second interchange between two Reichsautobahns at that time just after the Schkeuditzer Kreuz near Leipzig. It is used by 160,000 vehicles per day.

2, Two identical rest area buildings on the both sides.

3, A short 4km stretch is equipped with the fixed automated anti-icing spray system. This system continuously monitors conditions of the pavement of roads and automatically sprays chemical liquid just in advance of icing conditions.

4, We're reaching Bielefeld, a city that is famous for the Bielefeld Conspiracy. The Bielefeld Conspiracy is a satire of conspiracy theories which claims that the city of Bielefeld does not actually exist, based on the three questions below:

Do you know anybody from Bielefeld?
Have you ever been to Bielefeld?
Do you know anybody who has ever been to Bielefeld?

A majority are expected to answer "no" to all of above.

7-10, After the lunch break we're driving back to the autobahn, to which the bridge belongs.

11-15, The Münsterland in the eastern part of North Rhine-Westphalia is predominantly agricultural, and, with the exception of the city of Münster in the center, there are no large cities. The next large city is Hannover.

By me, in May 2016.

Last edited by miumiuwonwon; August 19th, 2016 at 11:56 PM.
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau