daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #8881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Some truckers find CB radio annoying. There's a lot of chatter in languagues they don't understand, not to mention the profanity. I'm also not sure if it is still a fixture in every truck nowadays.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #8882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by miumiuwonwon View Post
I didn't remember this, a region (Ostwestfalen/Lippe) signed as a control city on the overhead signs. I don't recall seeing that elsewhere in Germany.
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #8883
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Biele-what?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #8884
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

The following exit is named "Ostwestfalen/Lippe".
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #8885
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by miumiuwonwon View Post
4, We're reaching Bielefeld, a city that is famous for the Bielefeld Conspiracy. The Bielefeld Conspiracy is a satire of conspiracy theories which claims that the city of Bielefeld does not actually exist, based on the three questions below:

Do you know anybody from Bielefeld?
Have you ever been to Bielefeld?
Do you know anybody who has ever been to Bielefeld?

A majority are expected to answer "no" to all of above.
So we couldn't be reaching Bielefeld, since it doesn't exist, it is impossible to get there . In Spain I like to do the same with Teruel.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #8886
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I didn't remember this, a region (Ostwestfalen/Lippe) signed as a control city on the overhead signs. I don't recall seeing that elsewhere in Germany.
Strange. I was sure you knew that usually the next exit is signed in Germany at the straight direction ;-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 01:27 AM   #8887
Attus

Actually, I've been to Bielefeld last May.
I visited a handball game in Blomberg/Lippe, and as I drove back home I noticed that my car has some big problem with steering. Since it was approx. 250 km from my home I looked in Google Navigation for the nearest Opel Service and drove there, it was in Herford.
They examined my car and said that it is really extremely dangerous to drive on and that I should have better stop when I experienced the issue and I had luck to reach them without accident. Repairing the car was expensive (especially related to the car's age and value) and took 5 hours. So I decided to take a train to Bielefeld (there are several services hourly between Herford and Bielefeld) and visited that non-existing town.
Old August 20th, 2016, 01:39 AM   #8888
Autostädter

I had to stay at the train station in Bielefeld overnight twice because of a certain German train operator, no need to name it. So I've wiped this place from my memory. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist.

A plain exit named after a region is indeed unusual. I can think of one other example: Siebengebirge on the A3. Autobahn interchanges or service areas are often named after regions.
Old August 20th, 2016, 01:52 AM   #8889
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I'd like to add that the concept of Ost-Westfalen is pretty funny. Basically it's just Falen

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old August 20th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #8890
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I'd like to add that the concept of Ost-Westfalen is pretty funny. Basically it's just Falen
In the Middle Ages there was Ostfalen and Westfalen (East Phalia and West Phalia, respectively) in the Medieval Saxony (which was multiple times larger as the present one). The origin of the name is disputed.
The name Ostfalen did not disappear completely but is very rarely used while Westfalen is in everyday usage - although the current Westfalen is only a part of the Medieval one, a much larger part of that is currently Niedarsachsen (Lower Saxony). Note that the coat of arms of Lower Saxony is basically the same as that of Westfalen - it's the historical Westphalian coat of arms.
So Ostwestfalen, East-Westphalia may sound funny, indeed, but is a proper name of the eastern part of Westphalia, not to be confused with Ostfalen :-)

TrojaA liked this post
Old August 20th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #8891
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Strange. I was sure you knew that usually the next exit is signed in Germany at the straight direction ;-)
I know, but how many exits are named after a region instead of a city or town?

There are some motorway-to-motorway interchanges named after regions, but regular junctions?
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #8892
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Road trip A2 from Kamener Kreuz to Magdeburg (2)

Hannover or Hanover(traditional English spelling) is the capital and largest city of the state of Lower Saxony. It is also an important hub of Germany's autobahn network. Several interstate and local autobahns intersect with each other in or around the city proper.

An awful lot of construction work has got underway since years.

FlixBus, a mobility provider offering daily intercity bus service all over Europe, was launched in 2013 after the deregulation of the German mobility market. After the merger with its main competitor MeinFernbus in 2015 it became Germany's undisputed market leader. On 3 August 2016 it was announced that Postbus would be acquired by Flixbus, thus cementing the near-monopolistic position Flixbus enjoys(more than 80%) on the German market.

The junction of the A2 and A352. The latter one is a short cut between the A2 and A7 and is also known as the airport autobahn because it passes Hanover Airport.

Stau in oncoming traffic. We had luck.

The "Hannover-Ost" Interchange(A2/A7) is one of the busiest autobahn junctions in the north, serving over 100,000 vehicles per day.

By me, in May 2016.
Old August 20th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #8893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 near Hannover is a traffic jam hotspot. There's always some construction going on in the area, a Stau there is a fixture on NDR2 traffic information. Earlier this year there was a whole streak of severe truck crashes at the Baustelle near Kreuz Hannover-Ost (mainly westbound), but they have since been reduced. The amount of trucks on A2 is mind-boggling.
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #8894
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
For many years I always asked myself, if there is Westfalen and Ost-Westfalen, where the hell is Falen? I have to conclude, that it lies in the center of Bielefeld, if it exists...

As we say in Germany: Sehen wir uns nicht in dieser Welt, dann sehen wir uns in Bielefeld.

Kind regards

g.spinoza, Wilhem275 liked this post
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #8895
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

The saying translates to 'And if not in this world, we'll see each other in Bielefeld'.

Anyway, I'm surprised the Bielefeld East exit doesn't lead to the perfect counterpart of it (that's it, the most well known, yet actually non-existent German city), Ausfahrt. A few exits around Hanover also have this missing.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #8896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 is closed to all traffic from Würzburg to the north this weekend, they are repairing the pavement in the Baustelle at the Talbrücke Schraudenbach. As it is a very busy travel weekend for returning traffic, this leads to incredible traffic congestion on A7 and B19. TomTom reported a delay of 3 hours to get from Würzburg to north of the construction zone.

Southbound A7 is reduced to a single lane, with a much smaller delay. Next weekend southbound A7 will be closed completely to repair the road surface at that spot.

A3 Würzburg - Frankfurt is not nearly as bad as earlier weekends. Traffic from Nürnberg best uses A73-A70 via Bamberg. Traffic from Ulm can also use A3-A45-A66, although it's a significant detour, it's faster. Continuing up A45 to Dortmund is not a good idea, it is closed since 3:30 a.m. this morning after a truck crashed into another one. TomTom also reported a 3 hour delay to get through that mess.
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #8897
Autostädter

Recommended diversion: via Belgium, via France, via Switzerland, via Austria, then back north via Czech Republic to Poland.
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #8898
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Road trip A2 from Kamener Kreuz to Magdeburg (3)

A rather strange stretch between the exit "Lehrte" east of Hannover and the rest area "Lehrter See". Could it possibly be a planning error?

By me, in May 2016.

Luki_SL, Stavros86, Moravian, Highway89 liked this post
miumiuwonwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #8899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Östlich der Abfahrt Lehrte wird in Fahrtrichtung Braunschweig der linke von drei Streifen (insgesamt sechsstreifiger Ausbau) abgetrennt, da 1996 bei Erneuerung der Brücke über die Bahnstrecke Lehrte–Celle die alte Brückenbreite der Ursprungsbrücke von 1936 berücksichtigt werden musste.

I'm not sure why they had to take into consideration the bridge width of the old bridge from 1936. Perhaps they did not expand the motorway at the same time as the bridge was replaced.

There is also an unusually wide median for a short segment at Lehrte-Ost. Perhaps this was also built as a construction phasing during the six-laning of the Autobahn. Maybe they didn't bother constructing it right over the old two-lane Reichsautobahn carriageway, but built it beside it.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

miumiuwonwon liked this post
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #8900
Wilhem275
The Transporter

My best guess is that when they expanded A2 from 2x2 to 2x3 they addedd two new 3-lanes bridges (north) and reused the old 2x2 bridges to carry the eastbound lanes, but for some structural reasons the bridges couldn't be used as a single deck with 3(+1) continguous lanes. Hence the bizarre split.

Funny part is that, being limitless, it's probably the fastest single lane of all Europe

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau