daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 11:57 PM   #8941
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

2017 invest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
project list (groundbreaking 2016)

It contains almost all projects with building permit!

[...]

Some projects are not completely funded (e.g. B463, B33, B34 and B14 in Baden-Württemberg). Mr. Dobrindt says the invest budget will rise from 10.5 billion € to 14 billion € in 2018, see press release. Experts demanded that (only) 7 billion € are required annually.
Quote:
The Federal Ministry of Transport gave some Christmas presents. They funded some projects. There's no official press release or any document containing all projects but it's announced by the regional members of the Bundestag:
The projects of the Federal 2017 budget (groundbreaking 2017) were published yesterday, see press release or project list. Mr. Dobrindt states that the bottleneck is planning (by states), not financing now.

It contains 24 projects with an amount of 2.1 billion € (it was 2.7 billion € last July, in addition, there's a little December list).

4 projects in Baden-Württemberg, total costs: 282 Mio €
B14 Backnang, 2nd section, 105 million €, 2x2
B33 Konstanz-Allensbach, section C+D, 105 million €, 2x2
B34 Oberlauchringen bypass, 15 million €, 2+1
B463 Pforzheim bypass, section 1.03, 56 million €

7 projects in Bayern, total costs: 314 Mio €
A3 2x3 widening AK Fürth/Erlangen, 195 million €
B2 Wernsbach bypass, 31 million €, 2x2
B16 Marktoberdorf - Bertoldshofen, 32 million €
B85 widening Amberg-Ost - Pittersberg, 9 million €
B299 Mühlhausen bypass, 24 million €
B303 Schirnding bypass, section 1, 11 million €, 2x2 widening (expected AADT 2030: 6,000 vehicles/day; a gap to the Czech border will remain though)

2 projects in Hessen, total costs: 256 Mio €
A44 Sontra-West - Sonstra-East, 229 million €, 2x2 (2nd to last section to be funded b/n Kassel and Eisenach, last section still in early planning stage)
A643 widening AK Wiesbaden/Schierstein - AS Wiesbaden-Äppelallee, 27 million €

1 project in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, total costs: 11 Mio €
B191 Plau northern bypass, 11 million €

1 project in Niedersachsen, total cots: 143 Mio €
A1 Neuenkirchen/Vörden - Lohne/Dinklage, 143 million € (2nd to last section (20km) b/n A29 and A30; 10km gap left, still in plan approval procedure)

1 project in Nordrhein-Westfalen, total costs: 740 Mio €
A1 2x4 widening Köln-Niehl - AK Leverkusen-West (Rheinbrücke), 740 million € (not yet approved)

3 projects in Rheinland-Pfalz, total costs: 84 Mio €
B10 2x2 widening Godramstein - Landau, 39 million €
B48 Imsweiler bypass, 28 million €
B417 Realignment in Diez, 17 million €

1 project in Sachsen, total costs: 97 Mio €
B172 Pirna bypass, section 3, 97 million €

3 projects in Sachsen-Anhalt, total costs: 129 Mio €
A14 Colbitz - Tangerhütte (VKE 1.3), 65 million €, 2x2
B71 Wedringen bypass, 38 million €, partially 2x2
B188 Oedisfelde bypass, section 2, 26 million €

1 project in Thüringen, total costs: 5 Mio €
B19 Witzelroda bypass, 5 million €

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

SRC_100, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:37 PM   #8942
MichiH

I've tried to make a list of demand plan (Bedarfsplan) projects with building permit but without funding.

There are some plan approval orders which has been passed but there's still some trouble with the projects because there are complaints, discussions about modifications, opposition by residents and local councils et cetera (A281 Wesertunnel, B2 Tunnel Starnberg, B289 Kauerndorf,...).

There are many sections (especially Autobahn widening) which are planned to be built by PPP contracts (A3, A6, A7, A49, B247,...).

In addition, there are some projects with very old (but still valid) plan approval orders (A60, A62, B31 Döggingen,...).

Not yet funded are:

No projects left!

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

verreme, SRC_100 liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 03:10 PM   #8943
MichiH

The 2014 report of transport infrastructure investment has been released by the Federal Ministry of Transport: http://www.bundestag.de/presse/hib/201609/-/440268.

There's an overview about 2001 to 2014 investment
- 1,258km new Autobahns (14.6 billion €)
- 1,103km Autobahn widening (9.3 billion €)
- 1,966km new Bundesstraßen or widening (12.4 billion €) including 317 bypasses

SRC_100, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2016, 03:16 PM   #8944
MichiH

There's a report by the Federal Ministry of Transport about "Sommerbaustellen" (construction sites during summer): http://www.bundestag.de/presse/hib/201609/-/440180.

There were 715 constructions sites with a duration of 4 or more days on Autobahns this summer (1st June to 30th September). Construction works during the night happened at 63 construction sites.

The attachment contains a list of all construction sites from summer 2016.

2013: 515 construction sites
2014: 625 construction sites
2015: 625 construction sites
2016: 715 construction sites

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old September 25th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #8945
MichiH

B14 Backnang

Litte update about the B14 (former A85) upgrade to expressway standard north of Stuttgart:

The plan approval order was passed in November 2005 and it's legal since 2007. Section 1.1 is funded since July 2015 (11 million €), section 1.2 is funded since December 2015 (31 million €) and section 2+3 are funded since last week (105 million €).

It's reported that the first section is delayed because the contract for the main construction works is still not yet awarded. Only a temporary road is built but nothing happened in the past weeks (I can confirm because I drove there last week). They hope to award the contract till the end of 2016 and works should begin in spring 2017. Completion date is delayed to spring 2018. The construction of the next section should directly follow up. Source (It's reported that the remaining sections are not yet funded but it was assigned the next day). It's announced that the construction of the 2nd Murrtal viaduct could be started in summer 2018. Source.

B14: north of AS Backnang-West – AS Backnang-South ~4km (Summer 2018 to ?) – ? – map
B14: AS Backnang-South – north of AS Waldrems ~2km (? to ?) – ? – map
B14: north of AS Waldrems – south of AS Waldrems 0.9km (Spring 2018 to 2020) – ? – map
B14: south of AS Waldrems – north of AS Nellmersbach 1.0km (June 2016 to Spring 2018) – ? – map

Old September 26th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #8946
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Litte update about the B14 (former A85) upgrade to expressway standard north of Stuttgart:

The plan approval order was passed in November 2005 and it's legal since 2007. Section 1.1 is funded since July 2015 (11 million €), section 1.2 is funded since December 2015 (31 million €) and section 2+3 are funded since last week (105 million €).

It's reported that the first section is delayed because the contract for the main construction works is still not yet awarded. Only a temporary road is built but nothing happened in the past weeks (I can confirm because I drove there last week). They hope to award the contract till the end of 2016 and works should begin in spring 2017. Completion date is delayed to spring 2018. The construction of the next section should directly follow up. Source (It's reported that the remaining sections are not yet funded but it was assigned the next day). It's announced that the construction of the 2nd Murrtal viaduct could be started in summer 2018. Source.

B14: north of AS Backnang-West – AS Backnang-South ~4km (Summer 2018 to ?) – ? – map
B14: AS Backnang-South – north of AS Waldrems ~2km (? to ?) – ? – map
B14: north of AS Waldrems – south of AS Waldrems 0.9km (Spring 2018 to 2020) – ? – map
B14: south of AS Waldrems – north of AS Nellmersbach 1.0km (June 2016 to Spring 2018) – ? – map
Do I understand correctly: 8 kilometers, 147 millions euro, divided in 4 projects?

Last edited by MattiG; September 26th, 2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #8947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

That's how Germany works. Resurfacing projects are also often cut up in small segments. Many Baustellen are only 3-6 km long, situations as the 60 km Baustelle on A7 north of Hamburg are usually PPP projects which manage to get long stretches completed in a relatively short timespan.

I drove through Germany today, from Basel to Venlo (A5+A65+A61). A5 Basel - Karlsruhe is entirely free of construction zones, which is an exception in the Baustelle-ridden Autobahn system of Germany. A61 had numerous construction zones, none of which were a real slowdown today.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #8948
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Last weekend I drove on the Autobahn with a vehicle capable of exceeding 100 km/h , mostly between the Austrian border and Göppingen via A99 and Augsburg (and back).

I finally tried the fabled high speed driving and I much appreciated the general lane discipline that allows to keep a very fast pace without hassle.
Also it's immediately clear how the whole infrastructure appears a lot wider than an average European motorway, mostly thanks to the left "half reservation".

There are some other remarks I'd like to make:

1) draining tarmac should be used much more, there were some stretches of A99 and A8 with so much mist it almost looked like fog

2) when a speed limit begins, I think there should be a previous warning (like: 120 km/h in 500 m) so that the new speed could be reached just by engine break; otherwise it's too sudden. This is particularly true around workzones... I wouldn't even try to pass someone at 160 km/h if I know that after 1 km the speed will drop.

3) I tried to stick to limits assuming cameras could be anywhere and are not signalled. This turned out to be very stressful because in some spots the average driver did the same (ok) while in others nobody cared and I was suddenly the slow jerk in the middle of fast traffic. Couldn't get the reason.

4) Baustellen everywhere, but I didn't see ONE worker on the spot, apart from the works for the new Ulm - Stuttgart railway line.

5) I assume the speed limit signalling is automatic and based on the density of traffic. While it overall worked well, in some spots I had the impression the drop in capacity was caused by the signalling itself, set too low in the middle of a fast stretch

Outside the Autobahn I had a bad encounter with a speed cam here, at the end of a steep slope in the middle of nothing... I completely missed the 50 km/h and I still don't know how, since I'm usually paying a lot of attention. There were a couple of warning flashing signs just before the cam itself, probably I was not the first missing the sign...

And, in general, let the damn Street View work! It's 2016, and that's a unique instrument for programming routes...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #8949
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A61 had numerous construction zones, none of which were a real slowdown today.
Yesterday there was a long queue before intersection Erfttal, caused a delay of 30 minutes, northbound, and one at intersection Bliesheim, a delay of 20 minutes, southbound.

I drive oft (i.e. approx. 12-14 times a year) Rheinbach - Leverkusen and back. Funny, my destination is 100 meters apart from both A1 and A3 but since there is not exit at Kreuz Leverkusen I must take a serious detour. I can drive via A565 - A59 - A3 or via A61 - A1. Since there is the large construction site on A3, causing huge congestions, I usually take A61 - A1. But yesterday the weight control was installed on the ramps of Rhine bridge of A1 and there was a congestion of more than 10 km eastbound (a delay of more than 45 minutes according to traffic report) so I changed my mind and took A535 - L150 (it's a 2×2 expressway between Brühl and Wesseling) - A555 - A4 - A3.
On the way back there was a long queue on A3 so I took the Leverkusen bridge and A1 up to Bliesheim and then some regional roads because A61 was congested there.
Because of the lots of construction sites it is quite bad to drive in this region even Sunday afternoon.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #8950
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post

3) I tried to stick to limits assuming cameras could be anywhere and are not signalled. This turned out to be very stressful because in some spots the average driver did the same (ok) while in others nobody cared and I was suddenly the slow jerk in the middle of fast traffic. Couldn't get the reason.
The Germans know where the cameras are hiding
and also where they are not hiding
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:53 PM   #8951
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The Germans know where the cameras are hiding
and also where they are not hiding
Yeah but, ALL Germans?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #8952
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Yup
the cameras are just the Auslaender-maut

Deadeye Reloaded, patakcze liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #8953
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

The A1-expansion in Niedersachsen & NRW

Quote:

1 project in Niedersachsen, total cots: 143 Mio €
A1 Neuenkirchen/Vörden - Lohne/Dinklage, 143 million € (2nd to last section (20km) b/n A29 and A30; 10km gap left, still in plan approval procedure)

The goverment in Berlin is distributing 143 million euros for the planned six-lane widening of the A1 motorway. The funds were released by the Federal Ministry of Transport in Berlin on Wednesday Sept 21th.

It is about the 19-km section between the junctions Lohne / Dinklage and Neuenkirchen-Vörden. Around 45 million euros is provided for the actual construction, the remaining 98 million will be used for the maintennance.

As an important trade route between the north and south of Europe the A1 is of special importance. As the A1 is 750 km long it is one of the longest cross-country north-south highways in Germany.

The motorway is used by many trucks and it's also important to tourism along the North and Baltic Seas. It begins in Puttgarden on the island of Fehmarn and ends in the Saarland.

The expansion also continues in the neighbouring Nordrhein-Westphalia
The A1 between Osnabrück and Münster should as soon as possible get an additional lane in each direction.

A social democrat of the government recently said: "The A1 fulfills a very important transport function in globalized Europe," "We believe that the expansion is urgently needed."

In 3 of 4 phases, the plan approval procedures have already been introduced. In the remaining approvals the procedures are waiting to be immediately initiated regardless of the skeptical attitude of the Green Party, which is in coalition with the government in this part of Germany.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After this expansion I presume that the entire A1 between Lubeck and
Cologne will be a 3+3 motorway ??
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #8954
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
It is about the 19-km section between the junctions Lohne / Dinklage and Neuenkirchen-Vörden. Around 45 million euros is provided for the actual construction, the remaining 98 million will be used for the maintennance.
I presume this is a PPP project then, they typically have a 30 year concession for maintenance. Usually a PPP contract also stipulates that the infrastructure must be in good condition when it is handed over to the government (so they can't get away with not maintaining it the last 10 years of the concession).

Quote:
After this expansion I presume that the entire A1 between Lubeck and
Cologne will be a 3+3 motorway ??
Münster - Dortmund also needs to be upgraded to six lanes. I'm not sure if all sections of A1 through the interchanges at Hamburg have three lanes each way. There's also a short 2x2 segment between the Horster Dreieck (A7) and Dreieck Buchholz (A261).

Trucking on A1 is huge, it connects the large cities in Northern Germany with the Rhein-Ruhr area. The entire right lane is often occupied by trucks.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

NordikNerd liked this post
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:16 PM   #8955
flusispieler

Likes (Received): 16

They are currently repaving the whole section between Lohne/Dinklage and Bramsche. The section between Lohne/Dinklage and Holdorf is already finished.

Apparently the repaving is necessary, so that the pavement can carry the traffic of both directions on one carriageway once widening starts (I heard/read about a start in November somewhere at some point).
flusispieler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #8956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, that's not uncommon, especially if they want the shoulder to carry traffic through the construction zone.

Another example is A57 north of Kamp-Lintfort. It will be renovated, but they need to strengthen the shoulder before they can operate a construction zone with traffic on the shoulder.

In many cases the shoulder has a thinner foundation. It can handle the job of occasional breakdown use, but it would be teared apart by trucks after a few days / weeks if it's in continuous use.
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #8957
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Last week I was driving to Saarbrücken. There is a very long stretch with no motorway services in Belgium-Germany via E40-E42-A60-A1. There is a fuel station and services at Aachen-Lichtenbusch (border crossing) but then the next fuel station is not for another 190 kilometers until Reinsfeld, south of Trier. And there are no 'Autohof' facilities either. The only fuel station close to the motorway is in Belgium along E42 near St. Vith, where there is a very small Shell station on an industrial area.
Old September 29th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #8958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Leverkusen Rhine Bridge

The first gates to stop trucks from entering the Rhine River Bridge at Leverkusen has gone active today. It's located at the Leverkusen-West interchange, coming from A59. All traffic has to go through the gates, and trucks will be directed to a detour route.

Similar gates will also be activated soon on A1 in both directions. This is the last desperate attempt to keep the bridge open until a replacement is completed in 2020.

They caught 3 trucks within several minutes of activation:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Babenhausen Süd liked this post
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #8959
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Last week I was driving to Saarbrücken. There is a very long stretch with no motorway services in Belgium-Germany via E40-E42-A60-A1. There is a fuel station and services at Aachen-Lichtenbusch (border crossing) but then the next fuel station is not for another 190 kilometers until Reinsfeld, south of Trier. And there are no 'Autohof' facilities either. The only fuel station close to the motorway is in Belgium along E42 near St. Vith, where there is a very small Shell station on an industrial area.
How about heisdorf or Schleid (Niemstal-West)? Maybe one of the two can use an upgrade and have a service station...
Old September 29th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #8960
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Around 45 million euros is provided for the actual construction, the remaining 98 million will be used for the maintennance.
Source?

Quote:
I presume this is a PPP project then, they typically have a 30 year concession for maintenance. Usually a PPP contract also stipulates that the infrastructure must be in good condition when it is handed over to the government (so they can't get away with not maintaining it the last 10 years of the concession).
No!

Quote:
Münster - Dortmund also needs to be upgraded to six lanes.
The plan approval procedure for AS Neuenkirchen/Vörden - north of AS Bramsche (9.9km) in Lower Saxony (next to the recently funded section) began in April 2013.

There are still 2x2 lanes b/n A29 and A28 only. No planning activities but in demand plan (BVWP).

There are 4 plan approval procedures for 2x3 widening b/n Osnabrück (A30) and Münster-North (B54). The first plan approval order was passed in April 2015 (the procedure took 4 1/2 years). The construction of 3 viaducts started immediately (June 2015). To be completed by summer 2018.

The plan approval procedures for the remaining 3 sections began in 2012, 2013 or 2014. It's planned to implement the widening b/n A30 and B54 by PPP (40km). NRW doesn't like PPP and was always complaining. Nevertheless, their plan approval procedures take ages...

Widening of section no. 5 b/n Münster-North (B54) and Münster-South (A43) was completed some years ago. 2008-10???

It's also planned to widen A1 b/n A43 and A2 to 2x3. Section no. 6 was widening b/n October 2012 and October 2014. Section no. 8 plan approval procedure began in April 2016 and section no. 7 and no. 9 procedures are always announced to be started "soon" / "next year" / "one year ahead"... I think PPP is not planned here but I'm too lazy to look it up...

Quote:
I'm not sure if all sections of A1 through the interchanges at Hamburg have three lanes each way.
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/A1.htm

btw: A1 just north of A30 was widened about 10 years ago but they didn't replaced a bridge which is damaged now and must be replaced. The 3rd lane is closed again...

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau