daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM   #8961
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The first gates to stop trucks from entering the Rhine River Bridge at Leverkusen has gone active today. It's located at the Leverkusen-West interchange, coming from A59. All traffic has to go through the gates, and trucks will be directed to a detour route.

Similar gates will also be activated soon on A1 in both directions. This is the last desperate attempt to keep the bridge open until a replacement is completed in 2020.

They caught 3 trucks within several minutes of activation:
I am not sure about the barrier itself but the gates have been in place for several days. That exact spot has become a permanent traffic jam. For some reason, a genius has decided that the two lanes coming from the A59 had to merge a few meters before this, creating chaos and "Rückstau" for no obvious reasons

And a completion of the bridge in 4 years from now? I want to see that happen

goschio liked this post
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #8962
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Baustellenchaos

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, Luki_SL, joshsam, AvB, devo and 4 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #8963
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

The map is incomplete. For instance, A7 widening/renovation Baustellen b/n Salzgitter and Göttingen are missing...

btw: Map is from the official federal "Baustelleninformationssystem des Bundes und der Länder": http://www.bast.de/DE/Fahrzeugtechni...dden_node.html.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

detreinbek, keokiracer, Shenkey liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #8964
detreinbek

Likes (Received): 27

when I look to this map..... better I buy a train or an air ticket. The arrival time will be more safe
detreinbek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:39 AM   #8965
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A33: AS Halle-Künsebeck – AS Bielefeld-Center 7.9km (September 2009 to Late 2017) – projectmap
It's reported that the 3rd and last asphalt layer will be built within the next 2 weeks. It would be possible to drive on the new section but noise barriers, signage and markings are still missing. The section is still to be opened by late 2017. Source.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #8966
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Google Earth has new imagery dated April 2016 of A33 from Borgholzhausen to Bielefeld.

You can compare it to the 2015 imagery, and the Künsebeck - Bielefeld segment has been accelerated. However Halle - Künsebeck has also been under construction since 2009, but apart from a few bridges, no actual earthworks have begun even 7 years later.

The same is going on for Borgholzhausen - Halle. Construction started 4 years ago, but there is almost no progress, the imagery shows most of the route has no earthworks done yet, they first built bridges in the fields, but not much else...

This way of construction is very inefficient, which is seen in the extraordinarily long duration of the works for a simple motorway project (7-8 years per segment).

1. Künsebeck - Bielefeld:

2. Halle - Künsebeck:

3. Borgholzhausen - Halle:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old October 16th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #8967
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Quote:
It's reported that the 3rd and last asphalt layer will be built within the next 2 weeks. It would be possible to drive on the new section but noise barriers, signage and markings are still missing. The section is still to be opened by late 2017. Source.
So one more year after asphalt is finished to use the road?
They need a year to make signage and build noise barriers?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #8968
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
I'd rather take regular roads, I'm sure they are now faster .
Quote:
Google Earth has new imagery dated April 2016 of A33 from Borgholzhausen to Bielefeld.
From Borgholzhausen to where? There's nothing but a black hole there.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Wilhem275 liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #8969
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
So one more year after asphalt is finished to use the road?
They need a year to make signage and build noise barriers?
Exactly

More news from last week about the 3 continuous A33 sections u/c:
- Additional 4.5 million € could be invested in 2016 because of mild weather in September
- 55.5 million € are invested in 2016; in total, the 3 sections cost 250 million €

Quote:
A33: AS Halle-Künsebeck – AS Bielefeld-Center 7.9km (September 2009 to Late 2017) – projectmap
A33: AS Halle – Halle-Künsebeck 4.0km (December 2012 to Late 2018) – projectmap
A33: AS Borgholzhausen – AS Halle 8.6km (December 2012 to Late 2019) – projectmap
The previous 6.5km section b/n Bielefeld-Center and AK Bielefeld was built from June 2007 to December 2012.

The older A33 sections (> 70km) were opened b/n 1980 and 2001.

Another 2.2km section in the north is u/c (2015-2019) but the northern-most section (9.2km) is still in an early planning stage (and disputed by residents).

There's a Autobahn network gap south of A33 (map). It was planned to built an Autobahn to Frankfurt decades ago but will never be built. See A5 or HaFraBa.

Last edited by MichiH; October 16th, 2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old October 16th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #8970
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I'd rather take regular roads, I'm sure they are now faster .
There are Baustellen in regular roads, too. Which means they often close an entire bypass to work in a tunnel, or erect a traffic light to alternate traffic on a single lane.

Road closures are very common in Germany. Much more common than in France or Spain, for example. They may close an entire road for a year or so. At least Germany is very densely populated, which means there are a lot of alternate routes to make a detour.

I shot this video in June. B30, which is a busy Bundestrasse, was closed because they were doing repairs to a bridge, and traffic was forced to a long cross-country detour (starts at 0:50). This may last for years. I have never seen this in Spain yet it is very common in Germany.

Old October 16th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #8971
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
There are Baustellen in regular roads, too.
Autobahns are also regular roads

Quote:
Road closures are very common in Germany.
Chris' map only shows Autobahns but there are a lot of renovation works on B or L roads which are often closed for some weeks or months. Autobahns are usually not closed (only ramps or a carriageway) for renovation works.

I don't drive much on B roads because we have a quite dense Autobahn network but I drove a lot on B roads this year and was surprisded by the high number of closed segments. I think it currently happens more often that B or L road segments are closed for renovation works because of higher demand and available money. There was a general lack of money for road infrastructure in the past years and I think this investment delay ("Investitionsstau") caused the current situation.

Old October 16th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #8972
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is definitely a record number of construction zones, at least on the Autobahn. However, this high volume of Baustellen is not new, there have been year-on-year record amount of construction zones, it's getting worse each year.

While I want to acknowledge the need for construction in Germany, there must be ways to do it more efficient. Often you'll drive through a work zone with no workers present, or only a very small crew working on scene.

This year they replaced two bridges of an A28 interchange in the Netherlands. It took six weeks per bridge, and they continuously had over 100 workers on the site. In Germany such construction would take a year, if not more.

It's sad to see it going downhill so much in Germany, it wasn't too long ago that the German Autobahn was the role model for many countries.

Rebasepoiss, Junyeong liked this post
Old October 16th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #8973
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
There are Baustellen in regular roads, too. Which means they often close an entire bypass to work in a tunnel, or erect a traffic light to alternate traffic on a single lane.

Road closures are very common in Germany. Much more common than in France or Spain, for example. They may close an entire road for a year or so. At least Germany is very densely populated, which means there are a lot of alternate routes to make a detour.

I shot this video in June. B30, which is a busy Bundestrasse, was closed because they were doing repairs to a bridge, and traffic was forced to a long cross-country detour (starts at 0:50). This may last for years. I have never seen this in Spain yet it is very common in Germany.

That video is clear: The fastest way to drive around Germany is taking as many back roads as possible .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #8974
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Quote:
There is definitely a record number of construction zones, at least on the Autobahn. However, this high volume of Baustellen is not new, there have been year-on-year record amount of construction zones, it's getting worse each year.

While I want to acknowledge the need for construction in Germany, there must be ways to do it more efficient. Often you'll drive through a work zone with no workers present, or only a very small crew working on scene.

This year they replaced two bridges of an A28 interchange in the Netherlands. It took six weeks per bridge, and they continuously had over 100 workers on the site. In Germany such construction would take a year, if not more.

It's sad to see it going downhill so much in Germany, it wasn't too long ago that the German Autobahn was the role model for many countries.
Too bad Germans don't really seem to notice this. Either they are to narcissistic or simply they don't get out much. I was approaching the exact topic with some work colleagues last week, giving the Netherlands as a good example how to do it (like close everything and do works at night, don't start a small 15km stretch every 3 years, but do it all at once, etc).

The answer I got for this was a German joke about the Dutch:
Was bekommt eine Holländer wenn er drei mal durch die Führerscheinprüfung gefallen ist ??? EIN GELBES KENNZEICHEN!

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #8975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Rheinische Post has an article about A57: Die A57 - Horror-Autobahn und Lebensader

Von den elf Bauabschnitten, die seit 1997 geplant sind, wurden in 20 Jahren erst zwei realisiert. Selbst wenn 2030 alles fertig ist, hätte die Verbreiterung auf einer Strecke von 64 Kilometern über 30 Jahre gedauert.

The 64 km widening project of A57 is divided in 11 construction segments. Since 1997 only 2 have been completed.

And someone commented about the rebuilding of the small bridge near Dormagen that was damaged by a fire in early 2012 and likely won't be entirely replaced before 2018.

6 JAHRE BAUZEIT FÜR 50 METER BRÜCKE?!?

Wo leben wir eigentlich?!? In der Zeit haben die Türkei eine Brücke über den Bosporus und die Niederlande 50km Deich gebaut!

Aber wer sich auf deutschen Autobahnbaustellen umsieht, wird eines niemals sehen - Bauarbeiter! Offenbar werden die Bauunternehmen nach Stunden bezahlt, nicht nach Leistung

cinxxx, Bender liked this post
Old October 16th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #8976
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
The answer I got for this was a German joke about the Dutch:
Exactly. That's today's Germany. People recognize the problem but no one really cares. Just make a joke and change the topic of discussion. No protest or reaction about general issues like that. We accept it

I think Saturiertheit is the correct word for it (people are saturated). Too lazy to complain...

On the other hand, NIMBYs and conservationists complain about every shit...

cinxxx, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old October 17th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #8977
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

Bund and Länder now agreed to delegate the responsibility for constructing and maintaining autobahns solely to the Bund. A federal agency is to be established for this. It is hoped to achieve more efficient planning. Let's see how that works out... http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaf...-14483926.html
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #8978
MichiH

It was Dobrindt's potential next desaster project but he "won". The Länder only agreed because it was a condition for the Länderfinanzausgleich / Solidaritätspakt II follow-up solution (how Länder get money from Bund). Details about the central authority are not yet defined though. Even basic elements are not yet defined. For instance, Dobrindt (CSU) just wants to be responsible for Autobahns, Gabriel (SPD) wants to include Bundesstraßen... I guess, it's still a long way...

Old October 17th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #8979
MichiH

Quote:
A44: AS Heiligenhaus – AS Heiligenhaus-Hetterscheidt 4.9km (April 2010 to Mid 2017) – projectmap
If there's no problem with weather conditions, the section should be opened in "early fall 2017". Source. I think "early fall" is October.

Quote:
B29: east of Böbingen – west of Essingen 6.9km (July 2015 to 2018) – projectmap
The road authority (Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart) has contracted an external engineering company for technical design planning but they weren't satisfied and had to contract a new company. For that reason, the project is delayed by 6-7 months. The bypass of Mögglingen should be opened in early 2019. Source.

Quote:
B27: AS Donaueschingen – AS Hüfingen (B31) 4.1km (June 2016 to Late 2021) – projectmap
Construction works were announced to begin on 10th October but they are delayed and will begin on 24th October. First, bridges are built, road construction will begin in 2019. The new road should be completed in late 2020 but opened in late 2020 or spring 2021. Source. The previous completion date was a general announcement by the Federal Ministry of Transport. I think it was the worst case scenario or included final works after opening.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:37 PM   #8980
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Heidelberg - Heilbronn

Today a contract has been awarderd to the ViA6West consortium to widen the remaining stretches of A6 from Wiesloch/Rauenberg to Kreuz Weinsberg (A81) to three lanes in each direction, replace the Neckar Bridge in Heilbronn and maintenance over a period of 30 years.

It is a 30 year concession based on availability payments. The cost over 30 years amounts to € 1.3 billion. The concession starts on 1 January 2017, and the expansion and replacement of A6 should be completed by mid-2022. The entire stretch is 47 kilometers long, but most of it already has three lanes in each direction.

The ViA6West consortium consists of HOCHTIEF PPP Solutions GmbH, DIF Infra Luxembourg and Johann Bunte Bauunternehmung GmbH

http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Pre...t-oepp-a6.html

Luki_SL liked this post

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau