daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #9021
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Are there some countries in the world that impose tolls differently between locals and foreigners? I can't think of any.
In Cuba there are two currencies, pesos and convertible pesos. Most prices are listed in pesos, but tourists typically pay with convertible pesos. The exchange rate is 25:1, so tourists pay twenty-five times more compared to locals They have some toll roads, and though I don't know for sure, I assume the same applies.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2016, 03:43 AM   #9022
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17484

Quote:
Are there some countries in the world that impose tolls differently between locals and foreigners? I can't think of any.
In some cities in Brazil, people living near a toll plaza dont pay it.
Old November 11th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #9023
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
In some cities in Brazil, people living near a toll plaza dont pay it.
Same with the new bridge being built in Runcorn, UK.

EDIT - by which I mean they get a free e-tag (don't think there's a toll plaza)

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; November 11th, 2016 at 10:33 PM.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #9024
Turf
-

Likes (Received): 51

If this happens Netherlands should get its money back from co financing the A31 just over the border in Germany. I will travel the A31 tomorrow to get from Groningen to Venlo.
Turf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #9025
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Nah, foreigners should pay. Unless of course they wish to pay taxes in Germany to maintain the road network.
You make no sense. You pay for network at registration of a car, part of fuel tax goes there and on tolls.

So yes, foreigners already pay for them with fuel.

For small CE countries vignette makes a lot of sense, since most are so small, people don't even need to stop there for a coffee and pay value added tax on that when they drive through it with location is in the hearth of Europe they get loads of transit traffic from which the country gets nothing while it is a huge strain on infrastructure of smaller nations.

While for Germany almost nobody drives through it, but it is at least a stop or an end destination to do business, which is the real money anyway.
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #9026
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

http://www.der-postillon.com/2016/11/maut-premium.html

[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Heico-M liked this post
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #9027
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
He he, nice one!
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #9028
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Austria has established a tolling system that fleeces the foreigners but remains extremely cheap for the locals.

Kanadzie liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #9029
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Austria has established a tolling system that fleeces the foreigners but remains extremely cheap for the locals.
you are wrong

standard that a short time usage is expensiver than a long therm, go to a fitness club or to the supermarket (singlesize-family pack)

in Austria and other EU-countries have a Vignette system it is the same

Austria is fair, Slovenia for example you can classify as "fleecing" system, why:

1.Slovenia offers the short therm option only 7 days, austria 10 days means for weekend-weekend trips you have to buy in
austria 1 vignette
slovenia 2 vignettes

2.Price per day of the short compared to full year one:
Austria 370%
Slovenia 709%

rudiwien, Shenkey liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #9030
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
you are wrong

standard that a short time usage is expensiver than a long therm, go to a fitness club or to the supermarket (singlesize-family pack)
But standard for a road is free!

A and SK are both jerk countries that are not interested in having visitors enrich them.
Old November 16th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #9031
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Austria is fair
The town of Bregenz and its people testify it each and every day how fair the Austrian system really is. You can twist it as much as you want but the Austrian tolling system is one that aims at maximum revenues from foreign drivers even if that means that some Austrian towns drown in traffic.

belerophon liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #9032
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
The town of Bregenz and its people testify it each and every day how fair the Austrian system really is. You can twist it as much as you want but the Austrian tolling system is one that aims at maximum revenues from foreign drivers even if that means that some Austrian towns drown in traffic.
When i came from Switzerland i did not use the austrain motorway, but went through Bregenz. Thats something you should not do at several hours a day, but sometimes it is possible. Why should one pay a austrian sticker for a one direction trip and just 4 exits?

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #9033
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

What are the biggest schemes in Germany at the moment?
AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #9034
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
What are the biggest schemes in Germany at the moment?
The A1 Rheinbrücke Leverkusen expansion was recently approved. I suppose in terms of both importance and cost, that would be one of them.

AvB liked this post
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #9035
čarli

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:

Austria is fair, Slovenia for example you can classify as "fleecing" system, why:

1.Slovenia offers the short therm option only 7 days, austria 10 days means for weekend-weekend trips you have to buy in
austria 1 vignette
slovenia 2 vignettes

2.Price per day of the short compared to full year one:
Austria 370%
Slovenia 709%
Yeah, the easiest way is to point finger on others how unfair system they have. What about tunnels in Austria? Are they for free? In Slovenia are all for free, except for one tunnel which is (what a suprise) at border with Austria. When you will have tunnels without extra payment then you can make such comparison. I'm sure that your vignette would be then much more expensive as it is now
čarli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #9036
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But standard for a road is free!
Let me challenge that. This article
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maut#M...teme_in_Europa

lists 23 countries in Europe where you have to pay road tolls for cars, in some countries for the whole network, some countries for parts of the network and some countries for single stretches or bridges/tunnels etc.

Many non-European countries have a road toll, too.

In Germany, standard for a road is still free and IMHO I would like to leave it at that. One alternative though would be a EU solution with let's say a European vignette at a low price.

The Dobrindt initiative is rubbish. It doesn't generate any income. That little money that the 5% foreign drivers would pay, would be lost in administration costs.

JuergenSchT, belerophon liked this post
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #9037
chuckw2010

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
With last week, I have now driven 63,37% of the German Autobahnnetz. +4,35% since last week.
What does that work out to in Km's?
chuckw2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #9038
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by čarli View Post
Yeah, the easiest way is to point finger on others how unfair system they have. What about tunnels in Austria? Are they for free? In Slovenia are all for free, except for one tunnel which is (what a suprise) at border with Austria. When you will have tunnels without extra payment then you can make such comparison. I'm sure that your vignette would be then much more expensive as it is now
I don't know the other part of the country, but Slovenia longest bar Karawankentunnel is around 3km for Trojane

Austrian 10 day is also cheaper, though I would agree it is a bit much to pay 1€/kilometer of tunnel for places like Katschberg.
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 03:13 PM   #9039
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post

The Dobrindt initiative is rubbish. It doesn't generate any income. That little money that the 5% foreign drivers would pay, would be lost in administration costs.
Thats it. I pay wherever i travel. So why shouldn't others do in germany?
But if the Vignette creates no income for maintaining the system it should be forgotten about. Life is unfair very often. Sometimes you jsut should accept it, if its not to heal easily.

I think Dobrindt just blames drivers from other countries, because they are not voters. Thats easy but shows a dirty character. Thats why i hate him and his companions.

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR

masages21, Wilhem275, JuergenSchT liked this post
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:41 PM   #9040
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by belerophon View Post
But if the Vignette creates no income for maintaining the system it should be forgotten about.
The Ministry of Transport has recently reported (answer to question no. 8) that the estimated income might be about 3.9 billion €/year. 3.2 billion € from German citizens, 700 million € from foreigners. The system cost calculation is 200 million € per year.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau