daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2017, 01:22 PM   #9141
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A manual traffic counting took place from April to October 2015. The first patch of results (Autobahns) was published today, see press release. Autobahn traffic grew by 8% from 2010 to 2015.
I took a closer look into the traffic count data with a comparison to 2010.

Traffic growth seems most pronounced on the most important intercity Autobahnen, mostly the single-digit Autobahnen, plus a few other important ones. Growth is small in the former DDR.

However, I also noticed some wild variations in the data, in particular in Nordrhein-Westfalen, where one segment saw growth, the next a decline, and the next one growth again. This is quite unusual, especially if there is no major change to traffic routing (for example at an Autobahnkreuz). This seems to be an NRW thing, I haven't seen it as pronounced in other states. It suggests the data may not be as reliable, either in 2010 or 2015.

Example 2010-2015 data:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2017, 05:00 PM   #9142
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another 10 years of planning for a project that has been a high-priority one since the 1990s or even before?
Half a year for actual planning and 9.5 years for taming the nimbys.

Suburbanist, EasySeven, devo, JuergenSchT liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #9143
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Friedewald

A before/after animation of the A4 realignment near Friedewald, which was completed in 2016.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, Luki_SL, mikoair, AsHalt, Attus and 13 others liked this post
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #9144
Warsawbynight

Likes (Received): 21

I was travelling from South Poland towards Koblenz last month and I was shocked by the bad quality of former Western German motorways comparing to Eastern German and Polish (with small expections). It really looks like the East has "swallowed" the West despite Eastern Germany itself is way more similar to Poland - big cieties and emptiness between them. I think that many western stretches need urgent reconstruction. Just my personal thought I wanted to share with You.

detreinbek liked this post
Warsawbynight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #9145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They're working on it, but very slowly. Nowhere do you see as many road works as in Germany, and it has been that way for years.

For example, present construction on the German Autobahn - note that this time of the year is considered the season with the least construction works. The number of 'Baustellen' will ramp up significantly in April/May.

Luki_SL, Dantiscum liked this post
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #9146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 Hannover - Kassel

The tender for the expansion of A7 between Seesen and Nörten-Hardenberg has been completed, the project has been awarded to Via Niedersachsen, a consortium that consists of Vinci and Meridiam.

This is a 30 year concession based on availability payments. It does not only include the 29 kilometer segment that has yet to be widened, but also operations and maintenance of a 60 kilometer stretch of A7 between Bockenem and Göttingen. The contract value is approximately € 1 billion. The concession is planned to start on 1 May 2017. The expansion project is planned for completion by late 2020.

http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Pre...t-oepp-a7.html
Old February 18th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #9147
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A3 Leverkusen

A3 is undergoing maintenance just north of Kreuz Leverkusen. This weekend there is only single lane traffic northbound (2 out of 3 lanes closed). There is currently a 2 hour delay to get through there.

I always wonder if it isn't better to just close the entire motorway and detour all traffic. In this situation it is still possible to proceed, so everyone attempts to get through there, creating completely jammed traffic. Right now there is almost no congestion on alternate motorways (A1, A4, A57, A59) but a gigantic bottleneck on A3.
Old February 18th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #9148
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I always wonder if it isn't better to just close the entire motorway and detour all traffic. In this situation it is still possible to proceed, so everyone attempts to get through there, creating completely jammed traffic. Right now there is almost no congestion on alternate motorways (A1, A4, A57, A59) but a gigantic bottleneck on A3.
It is a simple way to classify people to dumb and clever ones?

rudiwien, belerophon liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #9149
bogdymol
bogdymod

Does anybody know what these mini-exits areas are for?

I have noticed on A92 that there are many of these in a very short section. Some are complete with asphalt, others have just the entrance and exit with asphalt and the middle is made of grass.

I have no idea why they are made though...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #9150
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Does anybody know what these mini-exits areas are for?
I have no idea why they are made though...
Me too. We've discussed it on a German forum but no answer: http://www.autobahn-online.de/phorum...,152470,152486.

btw: Have you replaced your Ford Focus by a Mercedes?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #9151
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
btw: Have you replaced your Ford Focus by a Mercedes?
You have good memory

No, I still have my Focus. Good car! The Mercedes was a company car that I was driving at that moment.
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:50 AM   #9152
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've been looking at historical imagery in Google Earth, these 'pullouts' are not a remnant of previous plans or access to something. They were added sometime between 2001 and 2010.
Old February 19th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #9153
MichiH

The rainwater retention basins on that segment were built in 2008. That's what German forumers figured out in 2011. However, not all "mini exits" or "mini rest areas" are next to rainwater retention basins.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old February 19th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #9154
bogdymol
bogdymod

Wild guess: Might these mini-exits be connected somehow with a possible military activity? 2-3 km south of these there is a 5+ km straight section of Autobahn which could be used as a landing strip. The counter-argument for this is that there are 2 overpasses in that section...
Old February 19th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #9155
MichiH

There is no highway strip (Autobahn-Behelfsflugplatz) and there was no highway strip. See map on wikipedia.

Old February 19th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #9156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They also don't strike me as provisions for U-turns (similar pullouts exist in Sweden).

There are several odd things;
* unusual frequency
* only along this portion of A92
* middle section is unpaved
* not evenly distributed over both directions
* no access to land (guardrails)
* added relatively recently

Most do seem to be near streams and ditches, which could support some water retention function, but all motorways have retention ponds / runoff ditches.

The guardrails in the median also doesn't look like it can be easily removed, and the median is not paved over, in addition to the overpasses, it seems to rule out an airstrip function.

The middle section is not paved, which also rules out any temporary heavy transport parking.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 08:43 PM   #9157
MichiH

Quote:
A4: AS Düren – AS Kerpen 12.9km (September 2008 to 17th September 2014) [direction Cologne]projectmap
A4: AS Düren – AS Kerpen 12.9km (September 2008 to 20th September 2014) [direction Aachen; discontinuation: 12.8km]projectmap
The plan approval order was passed in October 2007 but challenged. The complains were rejected by the Federal Administrative Court in May 2009. A private complainer challenged the order again, the hearing will be on 22nd March 2017. The complainer holds a view that the plan approval order is immoral because it supports criminal action.

Quote:
Der Kläger ist der Ansicht, der PFB verstoße gegen die guten Sitten, da er der Begehung, Vorbereitung, Förderung und Ausnutzung strafbarer Handlungen diene.
http://www.bverwg.de/entscheidungen/...erwG+9+A+33.15

Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:00 PM   #9158
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How often can you make an appeal at the Bundesverwaltungsgericht (Federal Administrative Court?)? In the Netherlands the verdict of the highest court is final and cannot be appealed to. You can also appeal just once. If I understand correctly, it is possible in Germany to challenge a plan in a regional court and then take it up to a higher court as well.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:40 PM   #9159
MichiH

There are usually two instances. Regional and federal court. There's always a deadline (I think it's 2-4 weeks) to submit the complaint after the public review process is finished. However, the SPD/Greens government passed a law in October 2005 (after Merkel was elected but SPD/Greens were still in power) to accelerate planning processes ("Planbeschleunigungsgesetz"). They've defined a list of projects - including A4 Düren-Kerpen - which can only be appealed at the federal court. The list was recently updated (news article (2); original law/project list). Many projects of the 2005 list are still in planning stage...

Nevertheless, I absolutely don't understand why the A4 plan approval order can be challenged again now

Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:35 PM   #9160
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Nevertheless, I absolutely don't understand why the A4 plan approval order can be challenged again now
That section has been finished years ago, just as you, too, wrote (Sep 2014). I drove there several times :-)
So what kind of sense does it have to challenge it? Theoretically, is it possible that this challange will be accepted. What could happen in this case?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau