daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #9181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Germany under construction

Strassen NRW announced a staggering 166 larger construction zones (Baustellen) on the Autobahn system of Northrhine-Westphalia in 2017-2018.

Over the past few years, there have typically been some 35 construction zones simultaneously on the Autobahn network in NRW. Most last a few months, some projects require more time of course.

Many of these projects are bridge replacements. These are not just major canal, river or valley bridges, but also include many small underpasses, most pronounced on A1 around Dortmund/Hagen where nearly every single bridge needs replacement. Furthermore, the large-scale bridge replacement on A45 will kick into higher gear. There are more than 20 major bridges on A45 from Dortmund to Siegen that need replacement, additionally many smaller bridges need replacement too.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, cinxxx liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #9182
o0ink
Alpen-Häschen der Zukunft

Likes (Received): 1302

Are there any plans for the A8 between Munich and Salzburg? It's one of the most ****ed up Autobahn parts I know...
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #9183
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Just another fun year on the German Autobahn again...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #9184
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0ink View Post
Are there any plans for the A8 between Munich and Salzburg? It's one of the most ****ed up Autobahn parts I know...
Look on the previous page. The same question was asked...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #9185
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0ink View Post
Is there a recent photograph or video of it?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #9186
bogdymol
bogdymod

Here's a video from 2011. It still looks the same.

Luki_SL, RipleyLV, rudiwien liked this post
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #9187
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Thanks.

My personal experience is very limited about this segment, to me it still looks the same as it was 13 years ago, when I first and last time experienced a drive as a passenger there. I'm guessing the autobahn is in the needs of an extra lane, plus a hard shoulder in the missing places, since traffic volumes are increasing within each year. Other than that, I can't complain about the pavement quality though.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #9188
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1153

I guess to/from eastern Austria (i.e. east of Wels/Linz), you can rather count on A94 to be a better alternative long before A8 might be upgraded to a modern motorway standard...

Already now, sometimes this route is faster (unfortunately not in the current screenshot :-))

But once the currently under construction section of 30km (a bit east of Munich, between Dorfen Pastetten) is finished (which is expected for end of 2019), I think travel times should be equal even with little traffic jam on A8 (though it will not be motorway all the way through).

If it indeed becomes a more attractive alternative, it will have a negative side-effect on the Austrian villages along the national road between roughly Ried and Braunau.
There was initially (>30 years ago) the plan to connect the A94 and the Austrian Motorway A8 along this route, and near Ried, the already built a motorway interchange: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wien...!3e0!5i1?hl=en
They then decided to not go on with this route to not open another transit corridor. It might well happen anyways, if A94 is finished...

Ices77 liked this post
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #9189
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Is the section of A8 in question seriously congested and in need of another lane, or is it just the lack of hard shoulders and possibly substandard alignment that is the issue?

In the UK you would generally only see an upgrade from four lane to six lane for motorways/expressways in the 50-80k AADT range. We're a bit backwards about these things so I expect that is lower in Germany.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:16 PM   #9190
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic volumes on A8 taper off from 67,000 vehicles at Rosenheim to 49,000 vehicles at the Austrian border.

For a normal motorway, this wouldn't be a major congestion spot. But A8 is substandard, has steep grades, tight curves and no shoulders, which affects the traffic flow. It also results in a high accident rate, and even small accidents will back up traffic quickly.

Traffic volumes are also seasonal, it is higher in July and during winter sport weekends, though most extreme winter sport congestion is between München and Rosenheim, much less between Rosenheim and Salzburg because a lot of winter sport traffic takes A93 into Tirol.
Old March 8th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #9191
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Is A94 supposed to be completed in the foreseeable future?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #9192
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
I guess to/from eastern Austria (i.e. east of Wels/Linz), you can rather count on A94 to be a better alternative long before A8 might be upgraded to a modern motorway standard...

Already now, sometimes this route is faster (unfortunately not in the current screenshot :-))
I actually use this route for some years already.
It's a nicer drive (although that gap between the 2 segments of the A94 is quite annoying)
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #9193
bogdymol
bogdymod

It would be a good ideea to close D-A94 + A-A8 corridor, as it would be a very good alternative to A8 Salzburg-Rosenheim, especially for traffic between Linz and München. I don't understand why is there so much opposition against this...

Alternatively, Germany could connect A94 to A3 nearby Pocking (Passau) which would esentially be almost the same as a connection with the Austrian A8 (only a few additional km).
Old March 8th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #9194
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

The road in Austria is actually quite ok.
No problems driving there, a small break from boring motorway driving...

Prolonging the B15n to the A94 would also be a great thing
Old March 9th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #9195
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is A94 supposed to be completed in the foreseeable future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
It would be a good ideea to close D-A94 + A-A8 corridor, as it would be a very good alternative to A8 Salzburg-Rosenheim, especially for traffic between Linz and München. I don't understand why is there so much opposition against this...

Alternatively, Germany could connect A94 to A3 nearby Pocking (Passau) which would esentially be almost the same as a connection with the Austrian A8 (only a few additional km).

The final plan is exactly that, to connect it to A3 near Pocking; you can see that in the map (from OSM, see http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3821454) below:

Two sections are currently under construction:

- By 2019 the section Pastetten-Heldenstein is supposed to be finished. I think this is the important step for it to become really attractive compared to A8, because then you only have around 50km on non-motorways, out of which actually, as cinxxx said, many parts are quite fine (partially grade seperated intersection, no major villages to pass through). Also, the motorway route is shorter than the current national road, so that section can easily account 15-20 minutes of travel time.

- By 2022, a short section from Malching to Kirchham (5km) will be finalised. Construction for that supposedly started in summer 2016. It won't help that much for travelling to Austria, at most it can make going through Suben/Pocking nearly as fast as going via Braunau.

For the rest of the section towards Pocking, I think the plan approval is still missing, also financing.. so that might take a bit still.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #9196
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I even took the A94 coming from Ingolstadt towards Romania. It was faster than driving A3 to Schärding (Baustellen and much truck traffic there). I also tried driving B16 and B299 all the way to the A94, it was similar in time, and the B299 is nice to drive...
Old March 9th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #9197
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
- By 2022, a short section from Malching to Kirchham (5km) will be finalised. Construction for that supposedly started in summer 2016. It won't help that much for travelling to Austria, at most it can make going through Suben/Pocking nearly as fast as going via Braunau.

For the rest of the section towards Pocking, I think the plan approval is still missing, also financing.. so that might take a bit still.
The plan approval order was announced to be passed by Mid 2017. The Kirchham-A3 section (12.5km) is announced to be opened together with Malching-Kirchham (6.0) in 2022.

Nevertheless, a 30km Autobahn gap from Burghausen to Malching will remain. It's mostly grade-separated though. The planning procedure for a realigned Autobahn route has recently been restarted.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #9198
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Esslingen

Drei große Esslinger Neckarbrücken werden für 23 Millionen Euro repariert. Das hat der Esslinger Gemeinderat beschlossen. In einigen Jahren sollen die Brücken aber abgerissen werden.

Warum aber sanieren, wenn in einigen Jahren doch der Abriss kommt? Die Stadt Esslingen begründet das mit Planungszeiten. Der Neubau müsse erst vorbereitet werden und könne daher nicht sofort umgesetzt werden. Damit die Brücken so lange aber noch sicher betrieben werden können, wurden die 23 Millionen Euro für Sofortmaßnahmen beschlossen.

Full report by SWR: http://www.swr.de/swraktuell/bw/stut...d=1592/31hn92/

There are three major bridges that connect the city of Esslingen (population 91,000) to the B10, the main expressway in the area. They are all deteriorated. They are planned to be replaced, which can cost over € 100 million, as was reported in 2016.

However, it takes too long to get all procedures for replacement done in time, so they now have to invest € 23 million to repair bridges that will be demolished in a few years.
Old March 19th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #9199
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

B427 Bad Bergzabern bypass

Bad Bergzabern is a little town (8,000 inhabitants) in Rhineland-Palatinate near the border to France. The town has a eastern and a southern bypass (B38) but the traffic from the west (Pirmasens/Saarbrücken) still has to drive through the town center (AADT ~13,000 vehicles/day). A western bypass is planned to relieve the town by 70% of traffic. It has a length of 2.6km and contains a 1.4km tunnel. Map.

The plan approval order for the western bypass was passed in February 2008. It was challenged but the appeals have been rejected in February 2009. The project was finally funded in July 2015 and construction works have officially began last week. The estimated total costs are 61.8 million €. The estimated completion date is 2026.

http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Pre...27-neubau.html

https://mwvlw.rlp.de/de/presse/detai...abern-beginnt/

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Luki_SL, TM_Germany liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:03 PM   #9200
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

They have started some construction near the A1 bridge in Leverkusen. From what I could see, they are modifying the exit just before the bridge on the Cologne side. Not sure if that's preparation work for the real construction but at least *something* is happening.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau