daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #9241
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Current construction zones on the German Autobahn network according to BAST.

http://i.imgur.com/JQOc5Hl.png
oh, is the new A3 section in Limburg, Hesse, already finished? No Baustellen-sign there on the map.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #9242
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
oh, is the new A3 section in Limburg, Hesse, already finished? No Baustellen-sign there on the map.
The resurfacing of the Elzer Berg section was completed some time ago (though they did a shoddy job on the center and left lanes). The new bridge and its approaches are finished as well but there are still some minor works going on. I'm pretty sure that those works aren't on the main carriageways but on the AS Limburg-Nord, though. I haven't been there for a couple of weeks now but most of the stuff is definitely done.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.

Patrick liked this post
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #9243
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

then I'll check for myself on my day off tomorrow

damn, it's been quite a while I made photos from the Autobahn but somehow I just got new motivation
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:24 PM   #9244
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

ok, let's start with our little A3-Trip through the Westerwald region. Unfortunately it was cloudy and constantly raining, so it was quite hard making photos with my old camera having to pay attention to the windshield wipers and looking through the viewfinder of the camera as the LCD-Screen is broken...

here is a small map of where I have been:

I started and finished at exit 37 - Dierdorf, first headed to the south, got off at Montabaur to see the new B255 bypassing some villages north of Montabaur, got back to the A3 to Limburg to see how far construction is at the new river Lahn bridge, I turned in Bad Camberg to drive through the whole geographical Westerwald region northbound, turning in Lohmar northeast of Bonn to get back to Dierdorf.

Although the area this Autobahn runs through is rather rural, the Autobahn is rather crowded as it is one of the major connections between the most populous german urban areas: Rhein-Ruhr and Rhein-Main. Therefore there are also many parking and rest areas along the route.

Due to the weather and as I was driving by myself there were not many opportunities to catch the landscape and things around the Autobahn, so I mostly photographed the signs and road...

Getting onto the A3 in Dierdorf (this Dernbach to the right is the place where the Ludolf family used to have its junkyard (which was a famous tv-show in Germany 10 years ago)):

After ca. 5 km, we get to the Sessenhausen rest area. These small extra signs that show which restaurants/shops/gast stations can be found there are rather new and have been introduced to our signage system I think about ten years ago (?).

The region got some smooth hills and is a typical mid-german hilly region, so we are always riding up and down, no flatland, no straight road, always curves. To the right, you can see the high-speed-railtrack between Köln and Frankfurt. While the old Autobahn moves left-right-left around the hill, the new railroad just tunnels the hill.

Annoucement of a small parking area

Annoucement of an Autohof. An Autohof is a rest/service area directly near the Autobahn, but you must leave the Autobahn at the next exit to get there.

And this is the next exit: 38 - Ransbach-Baumbach. We have now been on the Autobahn for about 12 km since Dierdorf.

Just 1 km after the exit, Dernbach (not the same Dernbach as near Dierdorf) interchange is announced. The A48 coming from the Eifel region between Koblenz and Trier ends here. Especially in the morning there's alwys lots of traffic on this small stretch between Ransbach-Baumbach and Dernbach as lots of people commute to Koblenz for work and get on the Autobahn in Ransbach.

Distances after Dreieck Dernbach:

Rest areas are usually firstly announed 5 km before. The next one is coming:

Next exit is coming: 40 - Montabaur.

Two years ago, a Factory Outlet Center opened just across the ICE-railroad station in Montabaur, but to my impression, it has not (yet) the reputation and drawing power as Wertheim Village or Designer Outlet Roermond for example:

We're about to leave the Autobahn here:

this was btw my weekly way to school for the last 2,5 years.

more to come

Last edited by Patrick; May 1st, 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:31 PM   #9245
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A3 between Köln and Frankfurt is one of the busiest intercity routes in Germany, entirely six lanes (since the 1970s if I'm not mistaken) and carries quite a bit of traffic, though congestion is usually the result of roadworks or accidents, because six lanes can carry 75,000 - 90,000 vehicles per day without much trouble, though the steep inclines may reduce capacity somewhat due to slow trucks.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

TM_Germany liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 11:09 PM   #9246
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 431

as well as the generally large share of trucks.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:12 AM   #9247
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

the B255 is part of the connection between the cities of Koblenz and Siegen, two cities bigger than 100,000 inh. about 100 km away from each other and not directly connected via the Autobahn, so traffic between these two cities has to move through lots of villages, so the road gets partly expanded and re-aligned to bypass some of the villages

this traffic-light from A3 southbound exit to B255 causes long queues during the daily rush hours

this old bridge of the A3 surpassing the B255 is, I guess, the main reason why this small stretch between the southbound and the northbound exit of the A3 is still only 1+1. During rush hours, that's a real bottleneck in both directions.

northbound A3 exit

exit to Heiligenroth Business area

exit to Staudt. We're now having a small stretch of 2+2 road for about 2 km. This whole new stretch of the B255 is constantly changing betewen 1+1, 2+1 and 2+2.

exit to Boden (south)

exit to Moschheim

exit to Niederahr

this railroad bridge made this new stretch famous in a negative way. originally planned as 2+1, they just realized after the bridge was finished that they can't make 2+1 as it's to narrow...
http://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rp/schi...=1682/1j9gsy5/
https://www.zdf.de/politik/laendersp...ammer-100.html
https://www.facebook.com/ZDF/videos/1168569506552010/
(articles + videos in German)

exit to Oberahr

shiny barriers in struma-quality (just imagine how they'd shine if the sun was shining)

exit to Ettinghausen

the B255 shares this small stretch with B8

exit to Arnshöfen

end of the renovated road. this is now the old 1+1 running through villages. I turned in the next village to get back to the A3. We have now driven 11 km since we left the A3 to this point.

more to come
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:00 AM   #9248
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

and now the same again in opposite direction, so I'll spare any comments in this part...:

more to come
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:04 PM   #9249
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

back on the autobahn, the next rest area is already waiting for us

41 - Diez: Last exit in Rhineland-Palatinate

Last small uphill section before rolling down the famous Elzer Berg

Several changes have been made during the last years. The speed limit for the right lane was 40 km/h not that long ago, had been increased to 60 or 80 in the meantime, and is now at 100 as the other lanes.

The two overhead-radars are still there doing their work.

In the past, there was a fourth permanent overhead sign with 100 + 100 + 40/80 speed limit there. Now it has been upgraded to a dynamical electronic sign

This one is completely new as far as i know. If I remember correctly, the old permament limits ended here.

Small construction site while approaching Limburg-Nord. We're in Hessen now, the signs look different. There used to be also a rest area integrated in this exit, I don't know if it will be rebuilt.

Although the B49 shares it's road with the B54 here, the B54 is not signed (anymore).

But it used to be as you can see on this older sign which still remains.

Roadworks ahead

We're now approaching the new bridge over the Lahn river. It was built to widen the road to 4+4 here, because the old bridge was only 3+3. This stretch between Limburg-Nord and Limburg-Süd carries lots of regional traffic as the inner city of Limburg is bypassed here. Main goal of course is to reduce congestion at rush hour here.

We're now on the other side of the Lahn river and have geographically quit the Westerwald region. Selters and Königstein are new and had not been signed here in the past.

distanes after exit Limburg-Süd

the next exit, Bad Camberg (with integrated rest area), I turned and drove all the way back to Dierdorf and further to the northern border of the Westerwald region, pictures to follow...
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:54 PM   #9250
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Quote:
ok, let's start with our little A3-Trip through the Westerwald region. Unfortunately it was cloudy and constantly raining, so it was quite hard making photos with my old camera having to pay attention to the windshield wipers and looking through the viewfinder of the camera as the LCD-Screen is broken...

here is a small map of where I have been:

I've driven the A3 many times now but particularly remember the stretch of your first few photos. It's that part where you go downhill with the railroad on the right where 6 years ago I noticed my dials stopped working and there was something wrong with the battery. The small parking lot is where I went to park and called ADAC, the car wouldn't start anymore. The dynamo appeared to be broken and I had to stay the night in Ransbach Baumbach, one of the weirdest towns ever
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Patrick liked this post
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #9251
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

how far is Ransbach-Baumbach one of the weirdest towns ever? (I've just been there yesterday for dinner)
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #9252
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8960

Quote:
the B255 is part of the connection between the cities of Koblenz and Siegen, two cities bigger than 100,000 inh. about 100 km away from each other and not directly connected via the Autobahn, so traffic between these two cities has to move through lots of villages, so the road gets partly expanded and re-aligned to bypass some of the villages

[...]

shiny barriers in struma-quality (just imagine how they'd shine if the sun was shining)

[...]

The famous shiny crash barriers on the struma highway!

I think not many users remember this old SSC legend.
What Is Love?

TM_Germany, geogregor, Patrick, Rohne, panda80 and 1 others liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #9253
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
Wrong. I was driving a couple of days ago in Vilnius with another fellow forumer and we observed some shiny crash barriers on the newly built Vilnius Western bypass road. We concluded that they passed the requirements of shininess. Although admittedly it's relatively difficult to find such barriers over here in Lithuania.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #9254
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

The famous shiny crash barriers on the struma highway!

Some of us do remember
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #9255
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Demolition of the old Lennetalbrucke on the A45 in Hagen (NRW).
The bridge is almost 1000 m long and was built in 1967.

The A45 has the most large bridges in Germany and almost all will be replaced by new ones during the next years and the A45 will be enlarged to 2x3.

I used that bridge for over 25 years. My home city is Ludenscheid not far away from it (around 20 km further south on the A45).

So I will have one of Germany's largest road construction sites near my home during the next 10-15 years.

Here you can see very good the old bridge and one of the new bridges next to it. The second new bridge will be build when the old one is gone.
What Is Love?

Luki_SL, Patrick, SRC_100 liked this post
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #9256
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

And one really cool idea: All new bridges, sound barriers and other objects which will be build on the modernised A45 will have a special colour code.

This means for example that all the bridges around Hagen will be blue and further south yellow and red. You can see it good in the last video I posted above. The new bridge is blue.

The plan is to keep the drivers "entertained" on long distances. They should be more concentrated when they will notice the change in colours as they drive on the A45.

Example of a new bridge from the "blue sector".

As you can see there will be more than just the three blue, yellow and red sectors. Each stretch will have different colour shades as well.

Here you can see the three colour stretches.
What Is Love?
Old May 5th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #9257
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Baustellen in Germany should address other issues than colours.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #9258
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What about 'Fake Baustellen'?

http://www.focus.de/auto/ratgeber/un...d_7083804.html

Sogenannte künstliche Baustellen sollen auf der Autobahn A1 vor dem Kreuz Leverkusen dauerhaft die Unfallzahlen reduzieren. Das berichtet der WDR. Die "Fake"-Baustelle sieht aus wie eine echte - inklusive Spurbegrenzung, gelben Linien und einem Tempolimit von 80 km/h. Nur gebaut wird dort nichts. Hintergrund dieser ungewöhnlichen Aktion: Die Bezirksregierung Köln stellte fest, dass eine echte Baustelle die Unfallzahlen vor dem Leverkusener Kreuz reduzierte.

They are going to implement fake construction zones in Northrhine-Westphalia. They will paint yellow lines, reduce the speed limit to 80 km/h. Evidently this reduces crashes at the end of the traffic jam that forms due to the real bottleneck.

Kreuz Leverkusen is where A1 and A3 meet. There is massive congestion here due to expansion and renovation works on A3 (both north and south of the interchange) and the truck ban on the A1 Rhine River Bridge. Last year there were over 300 crashes in the traffic jam for this bottleneck. They hope to reduce those by installing a fake construction zone.
Old May 6th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #9259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A46 Bestwig - Olsberg

Straßen NRW speaks of 'end of 2019' for the completion of A46 near Olsberg now. They started construction in september 2009.

https://www.strassen.nrw.de/presse/m...17-2-1675.html

The project contains the highest bridge in Nordrhein-Westfalen, the Talbrücke Nuttlar. But this bridge is not the reason for the slow progress, the bridge was more or less completed in late 2015.

I took this photo in October 2015:

A46 Talbrucke Nuttlar-2 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old May 6th, 2017, 01:00 AM   #9260
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

As I wrote before, Germany has a problem with what should be basic multi-site project management.

Suppose that, over the long-term horizon (say, 25 years), there is money to complete a list 'T' of 30 simultaneous projects in a region/state, and that each project is only useful in a binary manner (no intermediate benefit until project is completed).

At extremes, ignoring fixed costs for now, there are two options:
(1) move all projects at turtle speed, so that they are more or less completed simultaneously a quarter of century from now
(2) start one project and finish it quickly, then move to the next, until the 30th project is started/finished on 25th year.

Of course things are not that simple, but basically what German states and the federal government do is to spread the wealth, so to speak, to many projects simultaneously, each moving at glacial pace, hence hundreds of "baustellen" all over the country.

Instead, they should have a much lower number of simultaneous projects under construction at any given time, but move on each of them more quickly. Actually, now factoring in fixed costs, this would reduce the overall worksite, supervision, safety bill and dramatically reduce the losses due to extra congestion brought by the absurd number of road projects in-situ.

I understand there might be some political factors, especially the threat that projects without construction started getting targeted for more last-minute lawsuits, but still Switzerland and Netherlands show how it is possible to have a much better approach to road construction when you have a lot (NL) or not so much (CH) money allocated to road network expansion.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau