daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #9261
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

At the moment there seems to be plenty of money, so that projects which are really ready for building have a good chance for soon realization although they are not in high priority. One example is the Auerberg Tunnel on B2 (A95) between Eschenlohe and Oberau. Plannings have been completed long time ago for the Winter Olympics 2018. After cancelling the Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the tunnel has been cancelled, too. Now the chances are good that the Auerberg Tunnel will be build right after the completion of the Oberau Tunnel (B2) in 2021. Preworks will probably start in 2019.

Source

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #9262
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A3 Köln

Straßen NRW reports that the eight lane expansion of A3 along the east side of Köln (Cologne) will be completed by late May. They're mopping up the expansion of the 3.5 kilometer segment between Leverkusen-Zentrum and Köln-Mülheim. Direction Oberhausen was completed last week.

The 15 kilometer expansion project of A3 along the east side of Köln was built in stages from south to north and lasted for 14 years.

The expansion is not entirely completed however, there is still a segment with 2x3 lanes between Kreuz Leverkusen (A1/A3) and Leverkusen-Zentrum. This will be expanded with the reconstruction of Kreuz Leverkusen in the future. But they're first focusing on the replacement of the Rhine River Bridge of A1, they want to keep the Cologne Beltway free of construction zones as much as possible.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Attus, EasySeven liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #9263
Karaborsa
sicak para tatlidir

Likes (Received): 2895

15km expansion road completed in 14 years? Wow thats impressive

Mehmet Akif Ersoy

bogdymol, cinxxx, detreinbek liked this post
Karaborsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #9264
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's unfortunately not uncommon in Germany. For example the nearby expansion of A1 between Wermelskirchen and Remscheid started in 2003 and is planned to be completed by 2018. It is 7 kilometers long, the main issue is a difficult renovation of a 1930s stone arch bridge (Talbrücke Höllenbach).

Another example is A57 along the west side of Neuss. It has seen nearly non-stop construction between 1997 and 2015 (18 years!) on a stretch of only 10 kilometers. It started in 1997 with the reconstruction of the Neuss-Hafen interchange, which was completed in late 2001. Then between 2002 and 2007 the Dreieck Neuss-West was built. Neuss-Norf - Neuss-Süd was modernized between 2009 and 2011 by adding shoulders (which were originally consumed by six-laning in 1986). And simultaneously they widened A57 from Kreuz Kaarst to Dreieck Neuss-West between 2009 and 2015.

But now the A57 Baustelle has just moved north and predictions have been made that construction to expand A57 through Krefeld to Moers may last until 2025 or 2030. So they're talking about a 30 kilometer section of Autobahn that has seen a Baustelle for over 30 years. A whole generation of commuters seen nothing but construction on that section.

By the time the 3-decade expansion of A57 is completed, they will start working again to expand it to eight lanes

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

geogregor, panda80 liked this post
Old May 11th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #9265
Karaborsa
sicak para tatlidir

Likes (Received): 2895

Well its been years that i pass trough germany to austria and its allways the very same spots that there are "work in progress" (koln, after frankfurt and in between nurnberg and regensburg i guess)even some of the road signs who indicated roadwork was rusted. And the lines are fking very narrow!

Mehmet Akif Ersoy
Karaborsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #9266
d.henney

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaborsa View Post
15km expansion road completed in 14 years? Wow thats impressive
One does not simply build an Autobahn in Köln (and Deutschland)!

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
d.henney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #9267
detreinbek

Likes (Received): 27

LOL !!
detreinbek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #9268
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

A1 bridge in Leverkusen

There is a sign now that says Neubau Zentralbauwerk bis 2019. Not sure what that is exactly. It's postsigned as a Baustelle.

Patrick liked this post
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #9269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think this is for the replacement of the bridges at Kreuz Köln-Nord (A1/A57) which is planned for completion in 2019.
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #9270
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Baustellen

Construction season is upon us. ADAC reports that 2017 will have 20% more Baustellen than 2016.

Old May 13th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #9271
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

Ruhr valley is full of different closures
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #9272
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Yeah, in the Rhine-Ruhr region there are some short sections without counstruction... At least I have usually very low fuel consumptions. 80 km/h in 5th is quite economic.

Luki_SL liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #9273
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think this is for the replacement of the bridges at Kreuz Köln-Nord (A1/A57) which is planned for completion in 2019.
I think I saw that sign after I passed the interchange, but I am not quite sure. I will check again next week.
Old May 14th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #9274
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
There is a sign now that says Neubau Zentralbauwerk bis 2019. Not sure what that is exactly. It's postsigned as a Baustelle.
I'm quite sure that Chris is right.

https://www.strassen.nrw.de/projekte...lanung.html#m1

Quote:
Autobahn 1 zwischen Köln-Niehl und K-Bocklemünd: Brückenersatzneubau Zentralbauwerk AK Köln-Nord, voraussichtliche Bauzeit von 1. Quartal 2017 bis 3. Quartal 2019
The main bridge of the "Cologne north" interchange (A1/A57) is to be replaced from 1st quater 2017 to 3rd quarter 2019.

More details: https://www.report-k.de/layout/set/p...bahnring-58988 (May 2016)

Quote:
BAB-7 A1/A57 | Umbau des Autobahnkreuzes Köln-Nord. Bauzeit für das Zentralbauwerk von 2017 bis 2018. Kosten: 70 Millionen Euro, davon 16 Millionen Euro für das Zentralbauwerk
Die Umbaumaßnahmen zielen darauf ab, sich heute kreuzende und sich damit gegenseitig behindernde Verkehrsströme voneinander zu trennen und so den Verkehrsfluss im Kreuz zu unterstützen. Begünstigt werden sollen die Verkehrsströme aus Richtung Dortmund in Richtung Köln-Zentrum und aus Richtung Köln-West in Richtung Neuss / Krefeld. Die Planung wird zurzeit für die Planfeststellung vorbereitet. Der Neubau des zentralen Bauwerkes, A57-Brücke 2 über die A1, im Autobahnkreuz Köln-Nord soll aufgrund des baulichen Zustands Anfang 2017 begonnen werden und bis zum Jahresende 2018 dauern.
The replacement of the main bridge costs 16 million €. However, it's also planned to modify the whole interchange. Total costs: 70 million €. A plan approval procedure is required. It's planned to be built from 2024 to 2027.

http://www.stadt-koeln.de/mediaasset...n-20170503.pdf

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #9275
Bender
Rugged Individualist

OK thanks. That interchange does suck. I am glad to read that everything will be better in 10 years
Old May 16th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #9276
ChrisZwolle
Road user

B50 Hochmoselbrücke

A webcam shot of the High Mosel Bridge of B50 east of Wittlich. Progress still appears to be slow, they started on the bridge deck two years ago and now they've made it halfway across the valley.

Luki_SL, 8166UY, SRC_100, Turf, RipleyLV and 1 others liked this post
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:12 PM   #9277
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kreuz Leverkusen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Straßen NRW reports that the eight lane expansion of A3 along the east side of Köln (Cologne) will be completed by late May.

(...)

The 15 kilometer expansion project of A3 along the east side of Köln was built in stages from south to north and lasted for 14 years.

The expansion is not entirely completed however, there is still a segment with 2x3 lanes between Kreuz Leverkusen (A1/A3) and Leverkusen-Zentrum. This will be expanded with the reconstruction of Kreuz Leverkusen in the future. (...)
Strassen.NRW reports that they are going to restripe this short section of A3 to four narrow lanes in each direction to reduce congestion at the Leverkusen interchange.

At the Leverkusen interchange, Kreuz Leverkusen, A1 and A3 meet. A1 across the Rhine River Bridge is closed to all truck traffic, which means all trucks on A1 have to use a tight loop to get onto A3. This results in a truck traffic jam all day long. Crashes occur here on a daily basis.

To reduce crashes, they are going to separate the lanes to A1 and A3. A3-bound traffic can now bypass the long truck queues by driving on the left two lanes and merge at the very last moment. As this involves huge speed differences (100 - 10 km/h), crashes occur very frequently.

This means that all car traffic now has to join the truck queue. This could result in significant delays, but they hope that by restriping A3 to four lanes, traffic from A1 can enter A3 quicker. However the tight loop ramp will remain for years to come.

1. Kreuz Leverkusen, almost all trucks switch from east to south here via the loop ramp.

2. The truck queue on A1. When this satellite image was taken in August 2016, the truck queue goes back 5 kilometers while the left two lanes are free of congestion right until the interchange.

Luki_SL, EasySeven liked this post
Old May 18th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #9278
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Also a reasonable amount of trucks taking their break on the hard shoulder as they probably couldn't reach the next rest area due to the delays
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #9279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is a plausible explanation. I wonder if the police enforces it though, you're not supposed to stop on the shoulder if there is no emergency. I believe it's even illegal to run out of fuel. On the other hand the law says truckers can't drive more than a certain amount of hours, overtime = fine.
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #9280
sotonsi

about 20% of the British documentary on the A1 currently airing on the BBC seems to be policemen saying "you shouldn't be doing this as its unsafe and illegal" to truckers when they park on the shoulder and them responding "I'm at my 4.5 hours, I need to have a 45 minute break or be breaking the law."

A good-natured stand off occurs with the trunk typically moving on with a note as to why they drove 240 minutes, then had a 5-10 minute break, then drove for 2 minutes and had a 35-40 minute break. Or the policeman just letting them stay there for their remaining 5 minutes of their break.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau