daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2017, 04:47 PM   #9281
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

I was in Leverkusen last night (twice...). A3 Köln Mühlheim -> Leverkusen Mitte a great 4 lane motorway, nice job. At LEV Mitte the right lane turns out, 3 lanes go on towards Oberhausen.
Between LEV Mitte -> Kreuz Leverkusen (A1) there are 4 lanes northbound: the one coming from Leverkusen, does not merge, but runs up to A1. This one will be the turning lane at the intersection Kreuz Leverkusen. However, there is no shoulder in this section and the right lane seems to be narrow.
The other carriegeway, southbound, has not been finished yet.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:48 PM   #9282
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Carnage on A1 from Bremen to Hamburg. Monday afternoon a truck carrying hazardous cargo crashed near Stuckenborstel, causing a very long closure, they estimate A1 won't reopen until Wednesday noon.

In a perhaps related incident, 4 trucks crashed at the end of the traffic jam between Oyten and Posthausen. One trucker did not notice the traffic jam and plowed in the truck ahead of him. Two other truckers crashed into that...

http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/nieder...unfall220.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 12:03 AM   #9283
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder if the police enforces it though, you're not supposed to stop on the shoulder if there is no emergency.
Police around here will pull you over on the Autobahn to stop on the shoulder at night even if there is no emergency.

Truck drivers can stay on the wheel in case of traffic jams after accidents (or other unplannable irregular events) btw. Article 12 of EC Regulation 561/2006.

Provided that road safety is not thereby jeopardised and to enable the vehicle to reach a suitable stopping place, the driver may depart from Articles 6 to 9 to the extent necessary to ensure the safety of persons, of the vehicle or its load. The driver shall indicate the reason for such departure manually on the record sheet of the recording equipment or on a printout from the recording equipment or in the duty roster, at the latest on arrival at the suitable stopping place.

Wilhem275 liked this post
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #9284
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A21: north of AS Nettelsee – south of Nettelsee 2.1km (February 2012 to Mid 2018) – projectmap
It's reported to be opened in spring 2018 now. Source.

The plan approval order for 6.0km from north of Stolpe to north of Nettelsee was issued in February 2011. Construction works began in February 2012 and the southernmost 2km section was opened in December 2014.

A21: south of Nettelsee – Stolpe 2km (February 2012 to 2nd December 2014) – projectmap

However, the northernmost 2km were not allowed to be built till the plan approval procedure of the next section (6.2km) is completed. This order was passed in December 2016 and is legal since April 2017. It's reported that the construction of the 2km section will be started in spring 2018 when the above mentioned section will be completed.

A21: north of Nettelsee – north of AS Nettelsee ~2km (Spring 2018 to ?) – projectmap

I guess that the construction of the 6.2km section might start at the same time but funding is not yet officially assigned (I guess there will be a press release in July/August as usual).

A21: Klein Barkow – north of Nettelsee 6.2km (Spring 2018 to ?) – projectmap

It seems that the construction works of the next A44 section b/n Kassel and Eisenach began in early 2017. The Ulfetal viaduct is u/c according to the project page.

A44: AS Ringgau – AS Sontra-West ~4km (Early 2017 to Late 2022) – projectmap

I have no new info about the construction of the two remaing sections up to A4 (16km). Funding was assigned in December 2015 and September 2016. It was annouced to be completed by 2022/23.

Quote:
B266: AS Bad Neuenahr (A573) – AS Bad Neuenahr-East 1.8km (February 2009 to Spring 2018) – projectmap
It's reported to be opened in Mid 2018 now. Source.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #9285
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19113

Quote:
Carnage on A1 from Bremen to Hamburg. Monday afternoon a truck carrying hazardous cargo crashed near Stuckenborstel, causing a very long closure, they estimate A1 won't reopen until Wednesday noon.

In a perhaps related incident, 4 trucks crashed at the end of the traffic jam between Oyten and Posthausen. One trucker did not notice the traffic jam and plowed in the truck ahead of him. Two other truckers crashed into that...
Truck plowing into stationary traffic seems to be happening awful lot in Germany.

I don't remember many such incidents in the UK or in Poland. Why is that?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #9286
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The sheer volume of truck traffic in Germany is exceptional. But other countries do have some motorways with similar volumes. It occurs infrequently in the Netherlands as well, but in Germany it happens on a daily basis. Especially during the summer months when there is increased traffic on long-distance routes which have many Baustellen.

Perhaps because most of Germany is very monotonous driving for trucks. Imagine going 80 km/h for days on end with the only view being the truck in front of you and trees on the sides.

And then of course there is distraction of cell phones, planners, movies, microwave, etc. Fatigue could also be a factor, though it should be noted that the hours of service in Europe are significantly more limited than in the U.S., Canada or Australia. The amount of driving hours in a day, week and two-week period is substantially lower than in those countries. So Europe already has fairly restrictive hours of service legislation compared to other jurisdictions.
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #9287
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

German engineers have of course a solution to avoid these crashes.

But like everything developed in Germany, it's expensive.

Maybe the EU will force all trucks to be equipped with such a sysyem.

And this is the future: Truck trains on highways.
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; May 29th, 2017 at 11:15 PM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:10 PM   #9288
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

German engineers have of course a solution to avoid these crashes.
Yes, with an absolute retarded amount of false-flags causing a lot of drivers to turn the system off because the system keeps stomping on the brakes for no reason.

Also afaik the emergency-braking is already mandatory on new trucks in Europe.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #9289
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

If this system would cause so many unprovoked emergency brakings like you say then it would be never sold because it would be a serious safety issue.

I don't know about other companies but Mercedes is in this regard way ahead of all competitors.

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz Actros – the benchmark in safety matters

Mercedes-Benz Trucks is currently the only manufacturer in the world to offer its heavy-duty trucks (Actros and Antos) with radar-based Sideguard Assist and Active Brake Assist 4 with pedestrian detection. It is precisely these two active safety systems which can guard against the two most frequent risks of accident in the haulage sector. The German Federal Statistical Office (DESTATIS) in 2015 recorded a total of 15 572 accidents involving personal injury and goods vehicles exceeding 3.5 t (source: DESTATIS report GFK). 8238 accidents occurred in parallel traffic. According to the latest statistics, 3509 accidents listed involved cornering and turning/crossing an intersection.

As Mercedes truck salesman Marcus Woldt reports, the new Actros warns SiloNet about more than just these two risks of accident: “The Actros 1843 is equipped with every assistance system that Mercedes-Benz Trucks provides. In addition to new ABA 4 and new Sideguard Assist, these include Lane Keeping Assist, Proximity Control Assist, Attention Assist, driver’s airbag and ESP. With this much equipment, no other competitor comes close to the Actros on safety matters.”
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #9290
ChrisZwolle
Road user

German media has reported on those systems quite a bit over the past few years. It works as intended, but a problem is indeed the frequency of automatic braking when a passing vehicle merges too shortly in front of the truck, which activates the system. Many drivers turn it off.

The problem with truck crashes is not only the more fatal force of impact, but also the giant mess it creates. A small car crash can easily be moved but a truck crash can block the Autobahn for many hours, especially if multiple vehicles are involved, or hazardous cargo, or trucks that cannot be towed away without losing the cargo. Clearing truck crashes is a whole other level.
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:16 AM   #9291
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

If this system would cause so many unprovoked emergency brakings like you say then it would be never sold because it would be a serious safety issue.
Ask this German trucker that drives the new Actros on how often he gets a false flag emergency brake. (sound warning on both clips, he's annoyed so much by it that he screams)
https://youtu.be/Hytf64GvWT0?t=380
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUq1yAFfEWA

There's loads more examples, basically pick any of his compilations and there's an example of it in it.
Old May 30th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #9292
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
sound warning on both clips, he's annoyed so much by it that he screams)
Come on, Sascha is always annoyed and screams for everything

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #9293
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

lol yes, but he always saves the loudest screams for when his truck decides to do this
Old June 16th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #9294
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Plans of reconstruction of intersection Köln-Nord (A1×A57) were presented in Cologne. There's nothing surprising, the presentation showed the same plans which have already been published online previously.

The directions Euskirchen -> Neuss and Leverkusen -> Cologne City get new direct ramps and the whole intersection will be reconstructed.

Reconstruction has two phases:
1., The Zentralbauwerk, i.e. the bridge of A57 over A1 will be demolished and completely rebuilt. These works have already begun, the process will be completed in 2019.
2., Building of new ramps and relocating of existing ones. This phase may only be started after the completion of the first new Rhine bridge at Leverkusen (actually I don't understand why). It means: works may not be started before 2022. However, if you know the story of Leverkusen bridge, you may expect 2025 or later...

Source: http://www.ksta.de/koeln/chorweiler/...miert-27794412
Old June 16th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #9295
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They want to keep the number of Baustellen on the Kölner Ring during the bridge replacement to a minimum. There has been more or less non-stop construction on A1 near Köln for the past 15 years or so, and it looks like there will be another 10 years of construction ahead of us.
Old June 16th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #9296
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
They want to keep the number of Baustellen on the Kölner Ring during the bridge replacement to a minimum. There has been more or less non-stop construction on A1 near Köln for the past 15 years or so, and it looks like there will be another 10 years of construction ahead of us.
simple answer: only an excuse (for lack of funding)

the main bridge is widened, with this new space you can run the interchange with small temporary changes with the exact same configuration (=no impact on traffic) and build the new 2 ramps without creating any disruptions, no reason to use another projects as argument not to build
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #9297
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
simple answer: only an excuse (for lack of funding)
No! Money is not an issue at all but planning. There are no human ressources to do the planning works, plan approval procedure et cetera.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old June 17th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #9298
MichiH

A524

Quote:
A524: west of AK Duisburg-South – west of AS Duisburg-Rahm 1.9km (February 2010 to Early July 2014) – ? – map
The construction works of the next (sub)section have recently been started, see press release.
The estimated costs are 20 million € and the estimated completion date is early 2020, see news article.

A524: west of AS Duisburg-Huckingen – west of AK Duisburg-South (A59) 1.2km (June 2017 to Early 2020) – ? – map

It's also planned to upgrade the existing B228 to Autobahn stanard further to the west but it's only further demand with planning right according to the demand plan "BVWP 2030": http://bvwp-projekte.de/strasse/B288...24-G20-NW.html (7km, 225 million € including Rhine bridge).

Old June 17th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #9299
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
No! Money is not an issue at all but planning. There are no human ressources to do the planning works, plan approval procedure et cetera.
I don't think there is a big different between "lack of money" and "lack of human resources".

Hopefully, some day there will 4 lanes in both directions between that interchange and the next exit in Cologne. Not like today where you have 4 in a direction and 3 in the other (and plenty of space to add 10 lanes if you wanted to)
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #9300
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't think there is a big different between "lack of money" and "lack of human resources".
There is! The Federal Ministry of Transport has more than enough funding for construction (although they had not enough just some years ago) but planning documents are not yet completed and it will take ages till they are complete. Even if there is a lot of money and many people could work on it.

But another problem is that German road authorities have problems to recruit engineers...

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau