daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #9321
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Nordrhein-Westfalen

In May, members of the FDP visited Rijkswaterstaat in the Netherlands

FDP and CDU won the state election. They formulated a coalition agreement, pages 47-52 concern mobility and infrastructure.

It seems that many issues were taken right out of the Rijkswaterstaat playbook;

* they want to increase planning capacity and outsource more of it
* they want to speed up and simplify the planning process, the Netherlands will be taken as an example here (Zum Vorbild nehmen wir uns die deutlich schnelleren Verfahren in den Niederlanden.)
* they want to replace bridges quicker using prefabricated beams instead of in-situ construction. Such bridge replacements can be done in a matter of a few months instead of a year or more.
* they want to do more construction on the Autobahn outside of office hours, going into 3-shift operation and working 6 days per week.
* they want to reform infrastructure funding without increasing taxation, introducing multi-year and purpose funding for infrastructure (Zweckbindung und Überjährigkeit).
* they want to use PPP schemes on A1 and A57, the former government was opposed to it.

I hope they can make these ambitions a reality.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Bender, UnequalSine, TM_Germany, Shenkey liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #9322
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A49

German media report that the missing link of A49 in Hessen will be financed as a PPP project. Evidently a tune of € 1.1 billion has been released for the construction of the remaining part of A49 down to A5. This € 1.1 billion consists of construction cost (about half of that figure), operation and maintenance over a period of 30 years. They estimate that the motorway can be completed in 2025.

http://hessenschau.de/wirtschaft/bun...hluss-100.html

The progress on the 11.8 km section from Neuental to Schwalmstadt is extremely slow, a groundbreaking ceremony was held in March 2011 and this section may not be opened until 2020.

A49 construction is cut up in three sub projects;

* VKE20 Neuental - Schwalmstadt: 11.8 km
* VKE30 Schwalmstadt - Stadtallendorf: 13.3 km
* VKE40 Stadtallendorf - A5: 17.5 km

Only VKE20 is currently under construction. The last section of A49 to open dates back to 1994.
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #9323
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

2018 invest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The projects of the Federal 2017 budget (groundbreaking 2017) were published yesterday, see press release or project list. Mr. Dobrindt states that the bottleneck is planning (by states), not financing now.

It contains 24 projects with an amount of 2.1 billion € (it was 2.7 billion € last July, in addition, there's a little December list).
The projects of the Federal 2018 budget (groundbreaking 2018) were published yesterday, see press release with project list.

It contains 8 projects with an amount of 347 million €:

Bavaria: B279 Wegfurt bypass (5 million €)
Bayern: B289 Kauerndorf bypass (48 million €)
Bayern: B304 Obing bypass (14 million €)
Hesse: B8 Bad Camberg/Erbach, Bad Camberg and Bad Camberg/Würges bypass (41 million €)
Lower Saxony: A1 Bramsche - Neuenkirchen/Vörden (71 million €), see post from flusispieler
North Rhine-Westphalia: B236 Dortmund/Schwerte - A1 i/c Schwerte (26 million €)
Saxony-Anhalt: B87 preliminary works for Bad Kösen bypass (77 million €), the plan approval order for the 2nd section, Naumburg bypass, was challenged and the plan must be improved, see press release.
Schleswig-Holstein: A21,Nettelsee - Klein Barkau (65 million €)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I guess that the construction of the 6.2km section might start at the same time but funding is not yet officially assigned (I guess there will be a press release in July/August as usual).

A21: Klein Barkow – north of Nettelsee 6.2km (Spring 2018 to ?) – projectmap

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 10:19 PM   #9324
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Northern Germany congestion

I keep an eye on the traffic situation in Germany frequently. I've noticed that Northern Germany has a huge amount of traffic congestion due to construction. The focus is usually on holiday traffic going south. However from Frankfurt to München you can use several routes that are not an unreasonably long detour and keep you on the Autobahn.

However in Northern Germany there aren't as many good alternative routes and there is construction at almost all vital sections of Autobahn, these cause significant delays of 1 - 2 hours during peak traffic times, especially on Fridays and during the weekend but also on workdays.

* A1: a big construction zone in Bremen. There is very often a 1+ hour delay to get through there. There are no good alternate routes, the only high-standard alternative is B6 through the city, but is also often significantly congested and in case the traffic jam starts before the Bremer Kreuz (very often), you'll still have to sit in a traffic jam.
* A1/A7: construction zones on either side of Hamburg, it frequently leads to significant delays of up to an hour, often in both directions. Cannot be easily avoided by taking alternate routes other than surface streets. You have to cross the Elbe at Hamburg.
* A7: construction halfway between Hannover and Hamburg often causes significant delays in the Walsrode/Soltau area. Delays can be up to an hour, northbound delays appear to be more lengthy than southbound.

The problem with these 4 is that they are alternate routes for each other. For example from Dortmund to Hamburg you can use A1 or A2/A7. However they often both have significant delays. The same applies to Hamburg going either north or south.

This means that long-distance travel in Northern Germany is almost impossible without long delays, not just during peak hour but also during the day and weekends. We're not talking about 5 or 10 minutes of slow traffic through a construction zone, but travel times of 1 to 2 hours to get through the bottleneck. Going from Hannover to past Hamburg, you'll have to go through two of these major congestion zones, which means a 2 hour drive may become a 4-5 hour ordeal.

Hamburg yesterday around 3:30 p.m.

Bremen around the same time:

Someone commented on NDR:

Bin viel unterwegs in der Bundesrepublik. Was kann ich beobachten:
im Süden der Republik werden mit Beginn der Ferienzeit Baustellen, wo immer möglich abgeräumt (z.b. auf der A9 Höhe Hilpoltstein). Im Norden dagegen wird alles getan, um die Autobahnen fast unpassierbar zu machen (A7 in SH, A1 in Bremen, A29 auf der ganzen Länge mit den total tollen Baustellen mit einspuriger Verkehrsführung). Vielen Dank an die Verantwortlichen!

Translated:
I travel a lot around Germany. What I noticed; they reduce the amount of construction zones at the beginning of the holiday season when possible (for example A9 near Hilpoltstein). In the north however, they do everything they can to make the Autobahn almost unpassable (A7 in Schleswig-Holstein, A1 in Bremen, A29 on the entire length with a great construction zone with single lane traffic). Thanks a lot to those responsible.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Isek, Luki_SL liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2017, 12:27 AM   #9325
hjf

Likes (Received): 5

The underlying issue for motorized traffic is crossing the rivers Weser and Elbe. Crossings of these rivers are far and few between, giving rise to the problem that long-distance and short-distance traffic will likely choose the same routes. This in turn leads to inevitable congestion.

Practically every alternative for long-distance traffic for crossing these rivers is a non-alternative to escape the congestion locally, since they are either too far away or have no significant capacity (ferries).

So, for short distance travel there is no alternative, and for long distance travel it is not obvious. Plus they are not really great alternatives for car traffic (for lorries the case is somewhat different).

Weser:
A2 near Minden or B212 south of Bremerhaven. Everything else is crap, a ferry or has no link to the highway system.

Elbe:
B404 near Geesthacht or B191 near Wittenberge. Not great alternatives either. Coming from Munich going north, you may want to go via Berlin, which is not that great either, since you have to negotiate the A24 north of Berlin, which is a congestion hot spot.

Why there is no separation of short and long distance traffic at Bremen and Hamburg at the river crossings, is beyond me. On the other hand, it is a good example, why long distance routes should be planned and constructed at some distance of the center of metropolitan areas to have some kind of natural separation.

For you, Chris to go north from Zwolle, my advice would be to consider going via the Weser tunnel B212 and the Elbe ferry at Glückstadt in case you expect trouble on the autobahn (so practically always except tuesday nights at 1am). And: yes, I do know, you don't like ferries.

hjf
hjf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:08 PM   #9326
flusispieler

Likes (Received): 16

At least there are a couple of Autobahn sections planned that could potentially relieve traffic on A1, A7 and A24.
  • A20 (Bad Segeberg - Bad Zwischenahn): could relieve traffic on A1 between Hamburg and Bremen, east-westbound traffic can bypass Bremen and connect to A28 , north-southbound traffic can connect to A29 and A1 from Ahlhorner Dreieck
  • A39 (Wolfsburg - Lüneburg): could relieve A7 from north-southbound traffic between Hamburg and Hannover
  • E233 (Meppen - A1): relieve A1 (atleast on the section between Münster and Vechta/Cloppenburg) and A7 from traffic between the Rhine-Rhur region and Hamburg
  • A14 (Magdeburg - Ludwigslust): relieve A24 and A7 between the south and Hamburg, Schlewsig-Holstein and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Taking planning and construction times in Germany into account this is still generations away, though.
flusispieler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:38 PM   #9327
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic has become too busy to close lanes for a prolonged period of time. This will lead to significant Stau.

Sunday 12:30 traffic in Bremen: 1.5 hours to get through the construction zone on A1...
Old July 2nd, 2017, 03:10 PM   #9328
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

That's where road authorities in Hesse are good at. They are not the fastest when it comes to planning new or widened roads, but they do a really good job in managing the existing roads and using telematics. They were the first to systematically use shoulders as temporary lanes, use dynamic and/or electronic signs (also for redirecting drivers to faster routes) and implement as less speed limits as possible. In construction zones, whenever possible they keep all lanes open and as wide as possible, and even allow 100kph (instead of the widespread 80 or even 60kph speed limits).
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 08:31 PM   #9329
mistikos

Likes (Received): 3058

Hi to all, on Saturday 17th June and on Saturday 24th June I went in Germany and I travelled from Hamburg Airport to the Port of Kiel, by Bundesautobahn 7 and Bundesautobahn 215.

Some photos taken by me:
17th June
Bundesautobahn 7

24th June
Bundesautobahn 215

Works on Bundesautobahn 7

Excuse me for the very low quality but it was raining...
"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube

simondanut, SRC_100 liked this post
mistikos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:32 AM   #9330
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Full closure of A9 nearby Münchberg after a horrible accident this morning. A bus burnt out, 18 passangers are missing, most probably died.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 04:45 PM   #9331
ChrisZwolle
Road user

18 fatalities has been confirmed now. A bus crashed into a truck on A9 near Münchberg. This was near a construction zone with a lane reduction which likely caused the traffic jam.

http://www.br.de/nachrichten/oberfra...sebus-100.html
Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:25 PM   #9332
Attus

A9 is open northbound. 2 lanes will be opened southbound late night. The right lane and the shoulder must be reconstructed, they are heavily damaged.
Old July 4th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #9333
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

Snapshots of the A10 widening works

I took some photos of the 2x4 widening works for the A10 (Berliner Ring) between AD Potsdam (A9) and AD Nuthetal (A115) one month ago. Please find more information here.

Construction map.

Future vision of the section.

Coming from the A115. The trucks on the left hand are mostly from Poland.

The current 2x3 section has an AADT of about 90,000 vehicles per day.

Parts of the noise barrier have been installed.

Exit guidance to an existing rest area.

The involved bridges were/will be demolished and rebuilt at the same location.

By me.
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #9334
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

For your interest i like to publish some info about the problems concerning german motorway and other road construction.

Recently in several media a statement by the CEO of branch society of construction companies was published and commented.

As the articles contain mostly the statement they are quite similar in several media for example:

n-tv.de: Personalmangel gefährdet Bauboom

spiegel.de bauwirtschaft - personalmangel bei baubehörden verstärkt investitionsstau

This causes are mentioned:

1. in history the budget was to low (what a clever finding)
2. now the Bundesländer who exercise the planning have not enough manpower to get enough projects ready to use the money
3. in general planning procedures take to long (long known to alll of us here i guess)
4. year-on-year budgets hinder the likelyhood of companys to invest in new machines. also they hesitate to hire new workers. (as the workforce is shrinking, it gets more complicated too)

The solutions mentioned:
1. to guarantee the same budget of 15Bln for ten years to come, this would enable a rising planning capacity
2. to allow other possibilities of Bidding process like plan&construct together
3. to give all works in a big project to only one company (Generalunternehmer), who will care for all coworking companies
4. to change the governmental structures, because one ministry for traffic and one for construction makes things more complicated than neccesary

My thinking:
1. I dislike PPP projects, because its just a way to pay today bil with tomorrows money, and enables politicians to leave the decisions for later, what the priorities are. I was amazed, that they were not mentioned
2. the idea of making longer planning periodes etc. is a good one, but was often mentioned and never executed (for example the Bundesverkehrswegeplan as not only priorities list, but with budget also). Some Bundesländer make two-year-budgets, thats at least something.
3. the idea of planning and construction is a good one, if the budget is fixed, a fixed budget generally is a thing, which makes people work carefully, and this did function well before. So the real question is to transfer not only money to private companies but also all risks.
4. The idea to hold on company responsible in general for others is some way to let the market work for you. The government does not need to decide which company to trust or not (like with the idea of blacklisting etc.) because no company would use a partner who is unsafe. The companies don't need to explain their decision in case of eqaul rights ets. like the government needs to do.
5. changing the ministrys responsibilities is only one thing, the bigger issue is the long tike things always take.
For me its not necessary to cut peoples rights. Its more tha cause that the government uses law against peole but not for them. For example its a kind of war between "greens" and the government. I argue, that it would be much faster, and cheaper to include this groups and other locals in the planning process instead of waiting for them to slow it down after most decisions are made. Very often afterwards they won cases at courts, and changes were made. The likeliness of struggles need to be included in the decision wich variant is cheaper. Because the most costly variant is to begin planning all from the start again. There are good and bad examples which contribute to this. So i argue that the process is pseudo-democratic. The law will be fullfilled possibly letter by letter, because the fear of judical "problems" is high. But in fact there is very often no real influence on this steps. The same planners present their plans to the people, and decide about the usefullness of any complains. So the spirit of working together is lacking. The governments solution to this missing trust is to be even more restrictive to hinder any "problems" but the outcome is negative, and also undermines like in other fields the democracy itself. This state-of-things is not fast and easy to change. But it was often demostrated, that planning procedures may function in other countries with much less complaints, without the necessity to cut peoples rights like maybe poland does So its not the NIMBYs for me, because they will be everywhere and everytime. Its the general distrust in bigger circles of society than just some single EGOmaniacs.

tl;dr
It might be possible to empower and fasten some processes, but the biggest problem is the deepest: mistrust between planners and people.

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #9335
miumiuwonwon

Likes (Received): 294

B6n, future A36

It's reported here that the current B6n would be integrated into the autobahn network. Here are some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago.

1+2, A14 in direction Magdeburg.

3-5, AK Bernburg, the interchange between A14 and B6n.

6+7, Bridge across a small river called Liethe. It's just 8.8 Kilometers long.

8-11, Not too much traffic on the way.

12, The Harz Mountains have the highest elevations in Northern Germany. The Brocken, which can be seen on the right in the picture, is the highest summit in the Harz Mountains with an elevation of 1,141.1 metres (3,744 ft) above sea level.

13, Quedlinburg is a small town situated just north of the Harz Mountains. In 1994, the castle, church and old town were added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.

© Investitions- und Marketinggesellschaft Sachsen-Anhalt mbH. More pictures here.

14-19, Some random shots. The road looks somewhat narrower than a normal autobahn.

20+21, We're now back to the interchange B6n/A14.

By me.
Old July 10th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #9336
Attus

In Leverkusen two thousand people protested against a planned new rest area on A1.
Report in German.

cinxxx liked this post
Old July 10th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #9337
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
In Leverkusen two thousand people protested against a planned new rest area on A1.
Report in German.

Aparently 2,000 people have nothing to do.
I could understand them if they were protesting against a planned nuclear power plant or toxic landfill. But a rest area, unless built destroying a site of particular naturalistic or archeologic relevance, what harm can do?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #9338
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Report in German.
My German is extremely rusty (to the point of crumbling into unrecognizable bits); what's their issue?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #9339
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
My German is extremely rusty (to the point of crumbling into unrecognizable bits); what's their issue?
Actually nothing special. NIMBY. Trucks shall park anywhere but nut nearby their houses, they want trees instead of parking lots.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #9340
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Noise (Lärm), dust (Staub) and dirt (Schmutz).
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau