daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #9361
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It is past 10 p.m. and Kreuz Walldorf (A5/A6) is completely jammed in all directions. Google Maps shows 1 hour delays in both directions on A5. What is going on there?

edit: according to traffic information they closed two lanes on A5 in both directions, so there is only single lane traffic. On the night before Southern Germany start their summer vacation...

the sad/fun part of the story is the speed or not speed of german building

a newspaper wrote this expansion/reconfiguration has to be done in "only" 63 months

a similar project with start of a classic coverleaf to other configuration was done in austria in 33 months
https://www.google.at/maps/@48.19269.../data=!3m1!1e3
all wider but exact same principle, build bypass bridges, shift lanes, demolish first half of main bridge, rebuild, demolish second half of main bridge, rebuild, make the new connector configuration, finished, 33months or "only" 63, NO closure of lanes, only some night/weekend minor closings
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #9362
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

A66 Wiesbaden

The Salzbachtalbrücke of A66 at Wiesbaden has to be replaced. The bridge is too weak to support 4 lanes of traffic on one side. But with 80,000 vehicles per day, one lane would result in incredible traffic congestion. So they are using a reversible lane, two lanes to Frankfurt in the morning and two lane to Wiesbaden in the evening. They used this setup on some other construction sites as well. This construction will last until 2022.

I've noticed there is a concentration of major construction zones in the Mainz/Wiesbaden area. All Autobahns have one or two major construction sites, these are typically multi-year construction zones. Some of these are very narrow, for example on A648 on the west side of Mainz there is only 1 lane for through traffic at Mainz-Mombach. But when you travel around the other side there is also construction on A60 and A671.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #9363
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

it seems though, the density of motorways in that region is quite high for the population volume
Old July 29th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #9364
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
for example on A648 on the west side of Mainz
A643
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #9365
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Not before but during vacation times. And quite rightly so. It is after all the time of the year when the economically relevant part of traffic is at its lowest.
Exactly! Summer vacation period is the best period for Baustellen! The issue is the construction period... It feels like everything takes much longer than in neighboring countries...

I drove A10 south of Paris in late September 2016. I think it's 2x3 (or 2x4?) and 2 lanes were closed outbound for a construction site during morning rush hour. No jam at all, less traffic, I could drive as fast as allowed (90 or even 110?)...

That means, Germany* has an underdesigned road network compared to its traffic dense. Almost all simple Baustellen can end up in major traffic jams...

*Especially south and west Germany, NRW, Hesse, Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria. It's (totally) different in eastern Germany.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #9366
ChrisZwolle
Road user

While the number of Baustellen peaks during summer vacation, they are numerous Baustellen outside of the summer vacation as well. It significantly ramps up around April and then dwindles in late fall.
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #9367
MichiH

Sure, winter is not the best time for construction works...

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #9368
Christian_AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Exactly! Summer vacation period is the best period for Baustellen! The issue is the construction period... It feels like everything takes much longer than in neighboring countries...

I drove A10 south of Paris in late September 2016. I think it's 2x3 (or 2x4?) and 2 lanes were closed outbound for a construction site during morning rush hour. No jam at all, less traffic, I could drive as fast as allowed (90 or even 110?)...

That means, Germany* has an underdesigned road network compared to its traffic dense. Almost all simple Baustellen can end up in major traffic jams...

*Especially south and west Germany, NRW, Hesse, Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria. It's (totally) different in eastern Germany.
agree and i have to add that bad/stupid construction site management make the problem bigger

i had it near MUC on the A92 (s2+2s standard), the first signs shows that both lanes are closed and the traffic is routed single lane using the shoulder, this causes spreading the traffic from 2 to 3 lanes and a few hundred meters after it a 3 to 1 merger, outch a lot of braking, complete stops, why not closing the left lane 2 to 1 merger and after it move the single lane traffic to the shoulder, the disruption would be real smaller, but as i mentioned only stupid management
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #9369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

München

Traffic at München doesn't seem so bad compared to the last few years. I followed the traffic situation during weekends in July and while there is some congestion, especially from A99 to A8 in the direction of Salzburg, it's not as big as a kerfuffle compared to the last few years when 1+ hour delays on the east side of München were common (with additional big delays on A8).

The most persistent traffic jam appears to be on A99 going north to the Kreuz München-Nord. This traffic jam occurs every single day and persists throughout the day, not just at rush hour or peak holiday traffic. I think this may be a problem the next few weekends when more and more people return from vacation and go north.

This is the situation as of 10:45 a.m. on a 'black' Saturday. Not bad really.

Old July 29th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #9370
MichiH

Quote:
The most persistent traffic jam appears to be on A99 going north to the Kreuz München-Nord. This traffic jam occurs every single day and persists throughout the day, not just at rush hour or peak holiday traffic. I think this may be a problem the next few weekends when more and more people return from vacation and go north.
The Autobahn is widened to 2x4 lanes there. Construction period of the 1st section: September 2016 to Late 2019.

Old July 29th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #9371
Christian_AT

Quote:
The Autobahn is widened to 2x4 lanes there. Construction period of the 1st section: September 2016 to Late 2019.
now this jam is because of the widening, BUT a lot of time this congestion dircetion NW is because of the merge to north A9 with a 2 lane connector but the right lane fast terminates so everybody coming from A99 lane 1 has to change to lane 2 and lane 2 a lot of change to lane 1 from A9, a lot of lane changes needed = braking and the situation is getting worse because of the following exit Garching south which means everybody from A9 south wanting to exit have to cross the A99 merging traffic = more lane change = more braking, 4 lanes on A99 does not really help to increase the flow, manage this problem

how to clear the problem:
build a small bridge in the interchange that the traffic from Munich A9-south TO Garching south DONT have to cross the A99-A9 north merger anymore
AND
change the lanes marking (now 3+1, future 2+2), terminate the 3rd lane from A9 south in the interchange and not the first lane from A99, mean the traffic from A99 to A9 north has constant 2 lanes that no lane changes are forced
Old July 29th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #9372
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The issue is the construction period... It feels like everything takes much longer than in neighboring countries...
Except for PPP projects, expansion and reconstruction projects in Germany are typically divided in many sub projects.

For example A1 on the west side of Cologne. It is a 10 kilometer section of Autobahn from Kreuz Köln-Nord to Kreuz Köln-West. They expanded the Autobahn from four to six lanes, which was badly needed. However these works were not combined into a single project, but many phases, right now there has been 10 years of nearly non-stop construction on this 10 kilometer section of Autobahn.

Between 2007 and 2012, the land tunnel Lövenich was built. Although thew tunnel was completed in 2012, there was construction ongoing until 2014. And then they had to add shoulders to A1 north of the tunnel, another construction zone until late 2015. Then they started on the reconstruction of Kreuz Köln-West. And now they also started on the reconstruction of Kreuz Köln-Nord.

So this 10 kilometer section of Autobahn has not been available without any restrictions over the past 10 years. And that doesn't even include the bridge drama at Leverkusen and future upgrades to A1 and A3, which likely means that A1 at Cologne will remain a construction zone until 2030 or even beyond.
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #9373
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

There is even a section with 4 lanes on that A1 stretch, but just on one side (the other has only 3). Don't ask me why
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #9374
MichiH

Quote:
So this 10 kilometer section of Autobahn has not been available without any restrictions over the past 10 years. And that doesn't even include the bridge drama at Leverkusen and future upgrades to A1 and A3, which likely means that A1 at Cologne will remain a construction zone until 2030 or even beyond.
The Rhine bridge should be completed by 2023 (red). The 2x4 widening east of it (~2km, light green) was announced to begin in 2027 and last minimum 4 years (8 years if a tunnel is built). Between both, the AK Leverkusen (A1/A3, dark green) just east of the latter will be reconstructed (including A3 widening).

The 2x4 widening from west of the Rhine bridge to AK Cologne-Nord (5km) is further demand with planning right according to the BVWP2030, that means, construction works might begin after 2030. If it's done directly after the widening eat of the bridge, constructions works on A1 north of Cologne (~20km b/n A3 and A4) will last till 2035. Minimum.

Old July 29th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #9375
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Yep, a true national embarrassment
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #9376
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This phased construction is sometimes necessary due to the complexity of such a large project, plus the funding issues. But it is unfortunate that it takes so long before you can really take advantage of expanded infrastructure.

For example on a trip from Frankfurt to Würzburg there has been a 20 year construction cycle from the early 2000s to the early 2020s. So even when you drive on the newly expanded sections, there are still bottlenecks further down the road to be completed. By the time the entire route is completed, they have to start renovation of the oldest portions.

You could see this on A3 along the east side of Cologne, this was eight-laned in short 2-3 km phases from south to north. By the time the expansion project reached the northern end, resurfacing was already needed on the south portion of the expanded project. It's an endless cycle of construction. Few interurban sections of Autobahn are free of construction for more than a few years.
Old July 30th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #9377
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me that there wasn't much outbound traffic in the morning peak. That is the case pretty much in every metropolitan area, even over here in Germany.

Quote:

We get what the majority is voting for: a lack of public investment combined with a Byzantine planning law.
Old July 30th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #9378
MichiH

Quote:
For example on a trip from Frankfurt to Würzburg
My Autobahn

Quote:
there has been a 20 year construction cycle from the early 2000s to the early 2020s.[
The reconstruction of the bridge next to my hometown began in September 1997. It was officially completed in March 2001 and the widening works near Aschaffenburg began in spring 2001. This section was completed in late 2004 and the widening west of it began in late 2005.

The completion of the last two widening sections is annouced for late 2019.

If we ignore the 2005 gap without widening works (it's possible that there were some reconstruction w/o widening*), there were/are continuous works from 1997 to (minimum) late 2019. 22 years

Just to be accurate

*The 3rd lane east of AK Biebelried (A7) westbound towards Würzburg was built in 2005 though.

Old July 30th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #9379
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It doesn't surprise me that there wasn't much outbound traffic in the morning peak. That is the case pretty much in every metropolitan area, even over here in Germany.
Sure, in your region, Leipzig, Berlin,... It's similar to France.

Stuttgart, Frankfurt (Rhein-Main) and NRW are totally different because you don't have one but many major destinations. Western and southern Germany have a grid.

Shenkey liked this post
Old July 30th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #9380
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Opel Querspange

The Opel-Querspange (A448) in Bochum has been delayed again. They're now gunning for a late 2019 opening. The first works on this 3.3 km section of Autobahn started in September 2010, the offical 'first sod' was in 2012.

https://www.waz.de/staedte/bochum/di...211384247.html

Project website: https://www.strassen.nrw.de/projekte...ge-bochum.html

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau