daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #9381
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

I'm quite sure that it isn't the last delay...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #9382
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Well if you look it up we discussed it before. Not all but many problems are politically caused:
1. Instead of telling people the truth of reunification cost, there was a decade of building in the east and to less investment in the west (i am from the east to mention that).
2. Now there are many bottlenecks in the west, many km are worn out.
3. This comes together with bridges etc, which reach the end of lifecycle, because they were built in the 60's
4. The decision to construct as much as possible in the east ignored the early warnings for concrete cancer. This was a crime no one ever was taken responsible for. The built much, not caring for the long time usability.
5. Now the opposite is happening. They use much more asphalt instead of concrete. Additionally the call for silent motorways gets louder. But silent asphalt tears out even faster after around 10 years.
6. Long planning procedures and insufficient funding are true. But they are not the only problems.

I hated driving A6 last week. I went to Switzerland and back. The widening takes place, as there is more money now, but until iot will be finished its worse than ever.

Not only A10 has traffic jams. A4 has at least every week twice esp. between Nossen and Dresden, so has A72 between Chemnitz and Zwickau.

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #9383
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Opel-Querspange (A448) in Bochum has been delayed again. They're now gunning for a late 2019 opening. The first works on this 3.3 km section of Autobahn started in September 2010, the offical 'first sod' was in 2012.

https://www.waz.de/staedte/bochum/di...211384247.html

Project website: https://www.strassen.nrw.de/projekte...ge-bochum.html
Meanwhile Opel-werke Bochum closed already for years
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:02 AM   #9384
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Sure, in your region, Leipzig, Berlin,... It's similar to France.

Stuttgart, Frankfurt (Rhein-Main) and NRW are totally different because you don't have one but many major destinations. Western and southern Germany have a grid.
You can't speak of outbound traffic in those case, can you.
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:59 PM   #9385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Big crashes at the construction zone of A3 near Geiselwind (between Würzburg and Nürnberg).

Last Friday, an RV got sandwiched between a truck and bus-size RV. It was completely destroyed. A family was traveling in the RV, the driver was killed and the wife and son were taken to the hospital by helicopter.

Today, a truck traveling through the construction zone plowed through the temporary median into oncoming traffic, miraculously resulting in only two injuries. This was likely due to the time of the day, the crash occurred at 5 a.m. However it resulted in a very long closure, as of now (6 p.m. - 13 hours later), A3 is still closed westbound. The estimated time of reopening has been pushed back several times, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m and now in the evening.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:12 PM   #9386
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Last Friday, an RV got sandwiched between a truck and bus-size RV. It was completely destroyed. A family was traveling in the RV, the driver was killed and the wife and son were taken to the hospital by helicopter.

https://www.merkur.de/bilder/2017/07...1DHAJcNaNG.jpg
This picture doesn't show for me anymore, but here's the same picture on a different online newspaper-host.

(source)
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:46 AM   #9387
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

What the hell is happening, what is different im Deutschland from any other country (e.g. USA) where such crashes are not so common?
Germany has lots of autobahnen, lots of trucks, lots of work zones, but so does the USA on basically similar scale...
perhaps the very narrow lanes through the baustelle?
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:20 PM   #9388
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
perhaps the very narrow lanes through the baustelle?
No! The crashes usually happen in front of the construction site at the end of a jam. Sure, if the lanes are narrow (this has usually be changed in the past years though), jams are more likely. On average, there is a jam in front of the construction site of "my A3" (16km section to be widened) every day. Not the whole day but any time of the day in any direction.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:36 PM   #9389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A40 Duisburg

The Rhine River Bridge of A40 at Duisburg has been entirely shut down this afternoon after new cracks were discovered during an inspection. The cracks occurred in the chamber which connects the cables to the bridge deck. Emergency repairs have already started, but it is yet unknown when the bridge will reopen, depending on any further damage they may find.

The Rheinbrücke Neuenkamp (1970) has been in a very poor condition for several years now, and a replacement is planned in the near future. It was already narrowed from six to four lanes in 2014 to reduce the bridge load. Various emergency repairs to address cracks were done in 2015 and 2016.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 08:43 PM   #9390
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A40 Rheinbrücke Neuenkamp

They discovered a 72 centimeter long crack in the chamber that anchors the cables to the bridge deck. So it was ordered to close the bridge immediately. It might not reopen until next week, some media also speculated it may be closed for 2 weeks.

This morning there were 1.5 hour delays to get across the Rhine at Duisburg. Unfortunately, there is also construction on the A42 crossing, with one lane closed in each direction. That means of the original 12 lanes across the Rhine, only 4 are available now.

And Duisburg will also close a crucial bridge across the Ruhr this weekend, that is now heavily used as a detour for A40. The Karl Lehr Bridge spans the Ruhr River and is the most important link between A40 and the Friedrich Ebert Bridge across the Rhine.

Old August 5th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #9391
MichiH

B6 --> A36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The 2+1 segment b/n A14 and A9 won't be A36 but B185.

The Federal Ministry of Transport has approved that the B6/B185 from the Lower Saxony / Saxony-Anhalt border to A14 can be dedicated as Autobahn. However, the federal ministry and the Saxony-Anhalt Ministry of Transport have to agree upon details. Signage has to be replaced which costs 2 million € but no additional works are required. Note: It was discussed earlier that the existing road doesn't have Autobahn standard and it must be reconstructed before it can be called Autobahn. The upgrade was even submitted for the demand plan (BVWP 2030) but was dropped out.

There's no info about an official rededication date or timeline for replacing the signs. It's only announced to be done "soon".

There would be a gap of about 2km from A395 to the Lower Saxony / Saxony-Anhalt border but the Lower Saxony Minister of Transport said that he would support to rededicate this segment too.

The road was built as Bundesstraße to allow that more interchanges could be built (lower distance between interchanges). It's reported that this is not an issue for the rededication now.

http://www.presse.sachsen-anhalt.de/...4f1601478b8427

http://www.mw.niedersachsen.de/aktue...es-109665.html

http://www.mdr.de/sachsen-anhalt/mag...sechs-100.html

The road to be rededicated has a length of more than 80km. It's exactly 84.5km from A395 to A14. I guess it might be officially rededicated anytime in 2017. Map.
The Lower Saxony and the Saxony-Anhalt Minister of Transport have agreed that the 2km in Lower Saxony and the 35km long A395 should also be renamed to A36. The signage should be replaced in 2018. However, the Federal Ministry of Transport must agree first. See press release.

ChrisZwolle, belerophon liked this post
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #9392
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Hochmoselbrücke, bridge of B50 over the river Mosel, in construction.
ALBUM
Recent photos are on the top (not very good ones, actually).
Hochmoselbrücke Aug 2017 / 4 by Attila Németh, on Flickr
Old August 9th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #9393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A40 Rheinbrücke Neuenkamp

The Rhine River crossing at Duisburg will reopen to traffic next week, Thursday 17 August, after a two week emergency closure.

Last week they discovered a 72 centimeter long crack. An inspection revealed a further 50 cracks of various lengths. They will be addressed and they will increase inspection frequency to daily.

Straßen NRW uses the closure to resurface A40 westbound, this was already planned as a separate closure which now won't be needed anymore.

They will also install a weigh station to get overweight trucks off the bridge. How this will work exactly is unclear to me, no details are given beyond eine Waage- und Ableitungsanlage. That sounds similar to the A1 Rhine crossing at Leverkusen. Regular trucks will be allowed to cross the bridge.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #9394
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 Guxhagen - Kassel

I had to drop someone off in Central Germany yesterday, so I drove 800 kilometers forth and back from the Netherlands. I took a detour from Guxhagen to Kassel to check out the deteriorated A44 bridge across the Fulda River. I also stopped at an overpass of A7 to shoot a few photos:

A7 Guxhagen-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7 Guxhagen-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7 Guxhagen-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

A7 Guxhagen-4 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old August 14th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #9395
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

You really notice that it's sunday in those photos...
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #9396
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A14

Construction officially commenced today on an 8.5 kilometer section of A14 between Colbitz and Tangerhütte, north of Magdeburg. It will be completed in 3 years.

http://www.mdr.de/sachsen-anhalt/mag...lbitz-100.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo liked this post
Old August 19th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #9397
LM69

Likes (Received): 123

A8 Merzig-Wellingen - Merzig-Besseringen

Quick update (August 2017):

Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post
LM69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 11:28 AM   #9398
irrational_pi

Likes (Received): 111

When I was checking Google Street View website recently, I stumbled on this:

https://www.google.com/streetview/understand/

It lists ALL 16 states...

Is Google Street View really coming back Germany??
I just can't seem to find any relevant links anywhere confirming this...
(Pleeeaseee let it be true....)
Old August 22nd, 2017, 01:04 PM   #9399
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

I've read they are covering Austria. If they really cover both countries, the last two major black spots in Europe will be filled.

I'm aware of privacy paranoia in D and A, but don't Germans and Austrians get frustrated about not being able to explore their countries with GSV?
I would be quite pissed off if Italy was one of the few countries without it.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 04:15 PM   #9400
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

I really hope so. But could it be that they are just once again doing this to improve their maps and navigation?

^ Perceptions might have changed by now. After all the developments in recent years people might have realised that Street View is not the thing to worry about.

Edit: It is as I said: The images won't be published (source: http://t3n.de/news/google-street-vie...chland-847626/).

Last edited by Autostädter; August 22nd, 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau