daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #9461
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
When I travel on that A7 part I get the impression it was built to try forcing the Austrians to do the same.
Quite an interesting argument.

And not to forget, to get all those tourists transported to Neuschwanstein.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #9462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

B293n Rheinbrücke Karlsruhe - Wörth

A new four lane bridge across the Rhine River between Karlsruhe and Wörth is planned. It will become part of B293 and link B10 with B9, north of the existing bridge which is in poor condition. It will not replace the old bridge, however, but supplement it.

As it is located on a state line, it requires two separate procedures. The plan approval order for the side of Baden-Württemberg has now been published. The plan approval for the side of Rheinland-Pfalz is expected later this year.

https://rp.baden-wuerttemberg.de/rpk...g.aspx?rid=931

BW side:

RLP side:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21, Luki_SL, Shenkey liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #9463
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6752

Very big Like for you
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #9464
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang16 View Post
I only regret that building the A7 up to the border was a complete waste of money. A normal road would have been enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Yes, likely building A7 to the border was not required, especially when long before the motorway was extended to there, the treaty about the border-crossing tunnel only provisioned for one tube and 2 lanes. So building the part from Dreieck Allgäu to Füssen with two lanes would likely have been sufficient for the local traffic.
Quote:
Regarding the A7 its of course the fault of our government. The situation in Tirol must have been known.
Quote:
Well, with this logic any possible connection is worth building a full motorway... there should be something relevant in that corner to connet it.
Are 16,000 vehicles/day too less traffic for a 2x2 motorway?

AADT 2015:
AD Allgäu (A980) - AS Oy-Mittelberg (137) 27,000 vehicles/day, 5.6% truck share (9.3km; opened in 1976/1986)
AS Oy-Mittelberg (137) - AS Nesselwang (138) 19,700, 6.4% (5.0km opened in 1992)
AS Nesselwang (138) - AS Füssen (139) 16,400, 7.5% (16.1km opened in 2009/10)
AS Füssen (139) - Border to Austria 15,900, 6.4% (tunnel opened in 1999)

Quote:
But they built it after they finally won the 30 years long court proceedings regardless whether it was needed or not. I think that nobody wanted to admit that all the money for the court was wasted.
Not only the money for the court had been wasted but the money for planning procedure! They finally got building permit and starting the whole project from scratch as a 2-laned road had been total waste of money!

Building just one instead of 2 carriageways could be an option but it does only save about 30% of construction costs and adding the 2nd c/w later (if required) is much more expensive than the "saved 30%".

I think it's not clever to build roads with a standard so that they are directly congested after opening but built for the future! A new 2-laned road with 16,000 vehicles/day over more than 10km of a transit route is too much!

In addition, you can drive faster on an Autobahn than on rural roads. That means, the Autobahn is more attractive for (regional, not local) traffic and many villages on alternative routes could be relieved by concentrating the traffic on A7.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

ChrisZwolle, darko06 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #9465
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Well, with this logic any possible connection is worth building a full motorway... there should be something relevant in that corner to connet it.

Also there are respectable solutions even without going full-Autobahn.
Since the tunnel and the whole road on the Austrian side have two lanes, following a similar design would have sufficed easily, let's say south of Allgäu Dreieck.

It seems there are way more important priorities. Just to give an example, I find it strange that A7 is at top design standard all the way into nothing, and B10 between Göppingen and Ulm still passes through villages.

When I travel on that A7 part I get the impression it was built to try forcing the Austrians to do the same.
We are forcing no-one (not anymore). Germany just doesn't build the bare minimum. We value accessibility and the quality of transport links. For this road of continental significance German guidelines only allow for a full-blown motorway. Exactly this has been provided, nothing more and nothing less.

The B 10 on the other hand is a road of supra-regional significance. Dependent on traffic volumes single-carriageway designs are possible for such a link.

darko06 liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:23 AM   #9466
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Are 16,000 vehicles/day too less traffic for a 2x2 motorway?
Thats an interesting question. I cannot answer it, but I googled for the AADT at the Fernpass (source) in 2016: 13502 Kfz/24h. Maximum was 28300 at 27.08.2016 (at that date I think the Bavarian summer holidays started) and the Fernpass road is long and windy. So it seems to work somehow. In my opinion the absolute numbers do matter less, its more important to have a continuous flow without abrupt changes in traffic density.

Another point is the route of the A7 between Nesselwang and Füssen. Its a quite strange quarter bend, far from being the shortest route. I wonder why this has been done and whether it is due to the full motorway standard. A normal road projected as bypasses of the villages could have been much shorter. In my opinion such a road could even be 2+2 but with lower standards.

Just to add some info: This is another interesting document, its in german and you need not read it, but quite at the end there are some informative maps inside about the numerous tunnel projects at the Fernpass.

Last edited by Wolfgang16; September 27th, 2017 at 02:29 AM.
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #9467
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Thats an interesting question. I cannot answer it, but I googled for the AADT at the Fernpass (source) in 2016: 13502 Kfz/24h. Maximum was 28300 at 27.08.2016 (at that date I think the Bavarian summer holidays started) and the Fernpass road is long and windy. So it seems to work somehow. In my opinion the absolute numbers do matter less, its more important to have a continuous flow without abrupt changes in traffic density.

Another point is the route of the A7 between Nesselwang and Füssen. Its a quite strange quarter bend, far from being the shortest route. I wonder why this has been done and whether it is due to the full motorway standard. A normal road projected as bypasses of the villages could have been much shorter. In my opinion such a road could even be 2+2 but with lower standards.

Just to add some info: This is another interesting document, its in german and you need not read it, but quite at the end there are some informative maps inside about the numerous tunnel projects at the Fernpass.

route of A7 in this area, reason historic never built A91:
http://autobahnatlas-online.de/PlanungBauKarteMitAS.pdf

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #9468
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

ok, the quarter bend would even make sense if there would be an exit, but this 16km long stretch is without any exit. When I look around in the neighborhood I don't find any such stretch at similar length.
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #9469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A20 Tribsees

A section of A20 west of the Tribsees interchange was built over a bog. It opened to traffic in 2005. However, the Autobahn started to subside, the subsidence is now so bad that they closed the westbound carriageway.

They are now conducting a review on the subsidence but the thought is that piles on which the motorway was built have broken off. The repair can take up to two years.

Motorways are frequently built on piles when they run through bogs. This should prevent excess settlement and subsidence. Several Autobahns in Northern Germany are built this way, most recently A21 near Nettelsee. It's not an uncommon method abroad either (the Netherlands also has some).

https://www.regierung-mv.de/Aktuell/...essemitteilung
Old September 27th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #9470
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

You're shattering all my illusions about Germany!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #9471
bogdymol
bogdymod

I am shocked reading about all these issues about infrastructure development in Germany. Sometimes the project managing seems to be like in a third-world country, not like in the country with the best motorways in the world*...

*according to popular belief in Eastern Europe.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #9472
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Popular belief over here, too, at least among driving enthusiasts. (Who insist on saying "the Autobahn" as if there's only one.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

LG_ liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #9473
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I am shocked reading about all these issues about infrastructure development in Germany. Sometimes the project managing seems to be like in a third-world country, not like in the country with the best motorways in the world*...
The transition from the engineer quality to the bean counter quality does not happen without consequences.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #9474
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Another problem of Germany (and, to a lesser extent, also of other countries such Italy and Belgium), is the average old age of motorways.
40-80 years old infrastructure now starts to show the signs of age in terms both of physical deterioration (cracks on concrete, water infiltrations,...) and construction standards (lanes width, ramps lenght, curve radii, etc...).
Countries who entered late in the motorway era such as East Europe, Spain, Portugal, Greece, China, all developing countries are likely not to have such problems for at least a long time.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #9475
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
ok, the quarter bend would even make sense if there would be an exit, but this 16km long stretch is without any exit.
The road was in the federal demand plan till 2016 as a 2-laned B17n from north of Steingaden to the edge of the quarter bend. It was further demand of BVWP2003. 22.6km, 57.8million €.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #9476
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Another problem of Germany (and, to a lesser extent, also of other countries such Italy and Belgium), is the average old age of motorways.
40-80 years old infrastructure now starts to show the signs of age in terms both of physical deterioration (cracks on concrete, water infiltrations,...) and construction standards (lanes width, ramps lenght, curve radii, etc...).
Countries who entered late in the motorway era such as East Europe, Spain, Portugal, Greece, China, all developing countries are likely not to have such problems for at least a long time.
less funding for the last 20 years, save money on infrastructure has no direct impact, impact is always delayed because it is always an investment into future

we have the same in austria 20 years ago with broken motorways and not finished other ones, then was toll introduced and asfinag created which refurbish,build,operate,collect toll,..... simple do the whole job and have enough secured funding, after this our motorway got every year better

but improving is the same with getting worse, the process need time 15-20 years

Shenkey liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #9477
ChrisZwolle
Road user

B50 Hochmoselbrücke

Hochmoselbrücke progress:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza, bogdymol, Luki_SL, 8166UY, Kpc21 and 2 others liked this post
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #9478
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A section of A20 west of the Tribsees interchange was built over a bog. It opened to traffic in 2005. However, the Autobahn started to subside, the subsidence is now so bad that they closed the westbound carriageway.

They are now conducting a review on the subsidence but the thought is that piles on which the motorway was built have broken off. The repair can take up to two years.

Motorways are frequently built on piles when they run through bogs. This should prevent excess settlement and subsidence. Several Autobahns in Northern Germany are built this way, most recently A21 near Nettelsee. It's not an uncommon method abroad either (the Netherlands also has some).
It is a similar method to the "pillar stabilization" used widely in Finland. What is somewhat surprising, is the dimensioning of the pillars: The article says the diameter of the pillars is 15 centimeters, while in Finland it is much bigger: typically 50 to 80 cm. A thin pillar is more prone to buckling by vertical forces and breaking off by horizontal ones. Of course, the distance between pillars matters.

One reason might be poor work: The pillars might be skewed thus not able to carry load. The maximum skewness in the Finnish standards is 2%.

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #9479
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Popular belief over here, too, at least among driving enthusiasts. (Who insist on saying "the Autobahn" as if there's only one.)
A lot of them are so self absorbed they think Bundesliga is the best football league in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
less funding for the last 20 years, save money on infrastructure has no direct impact, impact is always delayed because it is always an investment into future

we have the same in austria 20 years ago with broken motorways and not finished other ones, then was toll introduced and asfinag created which refurbish,build,operate,collect toll,..... simple do the whole job and have enough secured funding, after this our motorway got every year better

but improving is the same with getting worse, the process need time 15-20 years
I am very happy that in Slovenia we copied the highway organization from you guys.

It had many problems under like 5 years ago with not thinking in the future and about standards but you can see they are learning from year to year.
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #9480
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It is true that many motorways in Germany are very old. But it is not like they had not been maintained, modernized, widened. After 1990 though, the reuinfication of the two German states cost a lot of money, a good share was used to built motorways in the east. Maintenance of existing motorways in the west had to wait. The Schröder-years brought no improvement, there was no money for roads due to economical stagnation, even recession (2003).

That means betwees 1990 and 2005, a good part of the road network was left to decay. Only in the recent years, since the economy recovered, the renovations could be started. And they are going on! It is crazy how many km of roadworks we have on the German motorway network - I crossed the republic full length this summer - .

This being said, it is a bit ironic that the A 20 is one of the newer stretches. It was only built in the 1990s.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau