daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #9521
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

B33 Allensbach - Konstanz

Another project anywhere in Baden-Württemberg... Construcion of a new 11km long 2x2 expressway... Of course, the project is split into segments. It's hard to count the number of segments but I think it's between 5 and 10...

The first 900m segment was opened on 11th October 2012. Construction works began in September 2009. Two sections are currently under construction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
B33: AS Allensbach-West – AS Allensbach-Center 3.6km (November 2015 to 2019) – ? – map
B33: Waldsiedlung – AS Reichenau 0.9km (June 2014 to Late 2017) – ? – map
There was an informative meeting, here's the presentation: https://rp.baden-wuerttemberg.de/rpf...17.10.2017.pdf. The (incomplete) time schedule on page 32 indicates planning activities until Mid 2020.

I thought that segment A+B will be opened together (the 3.6km section u/c) but it seems that segment A will be completed by early 2019 and segment B by late 2020.

I thought that segment F2 will be opened soon but it seems that only the interchange at Reichenau and the bridge over the railway will be completed by the end of 2017. The construction of the carriageway between them began last August and will be completed by Mid 2018. Afterwards, the existing bridge over the railway will be renewed by Mid 2019. That means, the segment will be opened 2x2 in Mid 2019.

Clearance on the 2km segment C will begin in January 2018 and construction works will begin in 2019. There is also an artificial tunnel. Its construction will begin in 2022.

Preliminary works on the 2km segment D will begin in 2020. There is also an artificial tunnel to be started in 2022.

The construction of a temporary bypass on segment E will begin in first half of 2018. The articifial tunnel construction will begin in late 2018. The completion date of the segment is late 2020.

The total construction time of the 11km expressway is 2009 to 2027.

I expect delays though... Just because there are always delays...

Edit: AADT on the 2-laned road b/n K6170 and L221 was 29,233 vehicles/day in 2015, thereof 1,649 trucks (2010: 28,200; 2005: 27,577). Source.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Last edited by MichiH; October 29th, 2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: AADT added
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #9522
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 431

how come that A14 section had a (for German standards) short construction time of only 2 years?

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #9523
MichiH

It's in the middle of nowhere and flat land. However, there's also a 500m long bridge.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:09 PM   #9524
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

being in the middle of nowhere on flat land hasn't stopped other ~10km segments from taking 10 years...

Old October 29th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #9525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

2-3 years is pretty normal for a regular motorway project. Under 2 years is very fast, over 3 years is usually reserved for complex urban projects or tunnel projects.

What slows down the construction process in Germany is the tendency to tender all works separately, i.e. a separate tender for earthworks, bridgeworks, scaffolding, paving, road markings, guardrails, signage, etc. Each item could cause a delay. In most countries these projects are awarded as a single contract. The main contractor then uses subcontractors for smaller works.

This way you keep small companies involved while not having the bureaucracy and possible delays over contract and tender disputes. In 2015 a disputed € 1500 contract for scaffolding infamously delayed the A30 at Bad Oeynhausen by a year. Recently, the A21 renovation near Wankendorf was delayed by half a year because they couldn't find a contractor for road markings and had to re-tender the guardrail job.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #9526
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

That still doesn't answer my question of why this segment took much less time than pretty much all other German highway projects in recent years... Did they try out a different approach here?

On a seperare note: Now that Melanie Schulz has retired from her post in the Nethlerands, do you think she'd be interested in taking a job in good ol' Duitsland? I know one imbecile Verkehrsminister that needs to be replaced yesterday

Old October 29th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #9527
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Herr Dobrindt is not Verkehrsminister anymore He stepped down to become party leader of the CSU in parliament. Christian Schmidt (CSU) is now interim minister.
Old October 30th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #9528
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
being in the middle of nowhere on flat land hasn't stopped other ~10km segments from taking 10 years...
Which project are you talking about? For instance, A21, A26, A30, A44 in Hesse, A66 or A72 are in difficult terrain. B33 is on the same alignment like the existing road with almost 30,000 vehicles/day, less space, artificial tunnels and it's in Baden-Württemberg...

Old October 30th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #9529
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Herr Dobrindt is not Verkehrsminister anymore He stepped down to become party leader of the CSU in parliament. Christian Schmidt (CSU) is now interim minister.
Dobrindt is focusing on coalition negotiation. I guess he will get a more important job in the next government. Nevertheless, he has issued financing for 3 projects on his last day in office. All projects are in... Bavaria For instance, A3 2x3 widening south of Regensburg. In total, there were 3 financing rounds in 2017 (June, September and October) but "only" 8 out of 17 projects are in Bavaria.

Old October 30th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #9530
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Cheers! But the real question is, if his policies will follow him...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

TM_Germany liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 01:18 AM   #9531
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Quote:
Which project are you talking about? For instance, A21, A26, A30, A44 in Hesse, A66 or A72 are in difficult terrain. B33 is on the same alignment like the existing road with almost 30,000 vehicles/day, less space, artificial tunnels and it's in Baden-Württemberg...
A26 comes to mind, for instance. But it seems you're mostly right. For some reason I was under the impression that other parts of A14 and A39 were under construction but would never finish. Also, how is A21 difficult terrain? Are the soil conditions poor or to what are you referring?

Old October 30th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #9532
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A21 runs through some boggy areas. A21 is built on piles near Nettelsee. Construction time: almost 3 years.
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #9533
MichiH

Quote:
B33: AS Offenburg-Zunsweier – AS Gengenbach-North 2.8km (October 2010 to 25th October 2016) – ? – map
B33: AS Offenburg-Elgersweier (B3) – AS Offenburg-Zunsweier 2.4km (October 2010 to 30th October 2017) – ? – map
The 2nd section of the expressway was opened today, see press release. The two carriageways are built on the same alignment as the old road.

AADT was 24,585 vehicles/day in 2015, thereof 2,395 trucks. AADT 2010 was 18,492 (2,393), AADT 2005 was 19,327 (1,811).

Quote:
A661: AS Frankfurt-Friedberger Landstraße – AS Frankfurt-East 2.2km (November 2007 to Late 2017) [2nd c/w] – projectmap
The project page reports:

Die Vervollständigung der A661 wird voraussichtlich in 2023 abgeschlossen sein...
The completion of A661 will likely be done by 2023.

The A661 completion is part of a bigger project, the new A66 Riederwald tunnel. Another plan approval supplement procedure has just began, see press release. It's expected to be done by 2019. The construction of the tunnel is announced to begin in 2020. The estimated construction period is 93 months (7 years and 9 months), see news article. That means, the section should be completed by 2027/28 according to the current time schedule.

In total, it would be completed in less than 20 years after the groundbreaking ceremony (23rd September 2009) and less than 40 years after the start of the plan approval procedure (1989). I would expect delays though...

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #9534
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Something that could be put to use in Germany. A bridge replacement in 2 days!

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100, ChasingCars liked this post
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:24 PM   #9535
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 Hamburg

I made a 5 year gif of the bridge replacement of A7 in Hamburg-Stellingen. 2013-2017

Old November 2nd, 2017, 12:41 AM   #9536
d.henney

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang16 View Post
Good news this that the Kramer Tunnel will be build now

Source in German

So we improve road connections in this region while Austria does nothing.
Isnt a tunnel east of Garmisch more important to bypass the traffic from München to Innsbruck?
Old November 2nd, 2017, 08:05 PM   #9537
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.henney View Post
Isnt a tunnel east of Garmisch more important to bypass the traffic from München to Innsbruck?
The Wank tunnel (B2 Partenkirchen bypass) always had lower priority compared to Kramer tunnel (B23 Garmisch bypass). Wank tunnel has highest priority now (BVWP urgent demand) but it's still in an early planning stage.

rudiwien, d.henney liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2017, 09:54 PM   #9538
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ludwigshafen

There are two elevated highways through the city of Ludwigshafen, Hochstraße Nord and Hochstraße Süd.

Both elevated highways are in very poor condition, like most bridges from the 1960s/1970s in Germany.

In 2010, gates were installed on the Hochstraße Nord to block trucks from entering the elevated highway. Next week, truck blocks will also be installed on the Hochstraße Süd.

I took a photo of the truck block on the Hochstraße Nord in 2013. I presume the truck block on the Hochstraße Süd will be similar.

B44-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Kpc21, Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2017, 10:36 PM   #9539
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

The temporary bridge at the interchange A1/A57 in Cologne is now open to traffic. That was surprisingly fast.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 10:24 AM   #9540
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Actually I must have had an hallucination. The bridge is in place though.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau