daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:48 PM   #9541
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I found this undated photo of A3 near Emmerich, I think it was taken shortly after opening in 1962.

What is interesting is that the sign says in Dutch: 3 viaducten door N.V. Aannemersbedrijf A. Dubbers Malden. So a Dutch construction company built three bridges in Germany in the early 1960s. Apparently the Dutch built this part of A3 using German design standards. Such overpasses were not built in the Netherlands.

The border crossing, from Germany into the Netherlands

Temporary end of the Autobahn.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

cinxxx, Attus, Luki_SL, Kpc21, TrojaA and 11 others liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; November 3rd, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:52 PM   #9542
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Apparently the Dutch built this part of A3
A3 close to my hometown in Bavaria was also built by Dutch in 1960s...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #9543
MichiH

A44/A46 AK Holz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A44: west of AK Jackerath – AK Holz 10.2km (May 2012 to Summer 2018) [discontinuation: 2.2km]projectmap
AK Holz (October 2017):

The ramps of the AK were announced to be opened in fall 2018.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #9544
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've noticed the geometric design of the ramps is not quite favorable at both Kreuz Holz and Kreuz Wanlo. At both interchanges, all A61 traffic will have to turn off. At AK Wanlo they built a 2-lane ramp with a radius of only 140 meters.

In the Netherland we usually build them with a 220 - 250 meter radius to allow higher speed, better traffic flow and improved safety and sight lines. This is especially important with the high volume of traffic that is going to use it once A61 is demolished for the mining operations.
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #9545
MichiH

A94 Munich - Passau

Quote:
A94: AS Pastetten – AS Dorfen 17.4km (April 2012 to October 2019) – projectmap
A94: AS Dorfen – AS Heldenstein 14.9km (July 2013 to October 2019) – projectmap
Aerial videos from October 2017 (west to east):

Christian_AT, Luki_SL, Highway89, SRC_100 liked this post
Old November 5th, 2017, 02:43 AM   #9546
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Went to Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen today (enjoyed it a lot), and there were some images of mid-30's Autobahn projects in Frankfurt airport area:

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #9547
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
There are two elevated highways through the city of Ludwigshafen, Hochstraße Nord and Hochstraße Süd.

Both elevated highways are in very poor condition, like most bridges from the 1960s/1970s in Germany.

In 2010, gates were installed on the Hochstraße Nord to block trucks from entering the elevated highway. Next week, truck blocks will also be installed on the Hochstraße Süd.
Hochstraße Nord is slated to be demolished in 2019, being replaced with a 6- to 8-lane road at surface level.

The barrier on Hochstraße Süd is installed while the highway is being renovated. This is necessary so that it can afterwards (beginning 2018) take the full load of Hochstraße Nord while it's being demolished. In total three barriers like the one in the picture will be installed.

The city decided to place the barriers since signage to the same effect installed two weeks ago was completely ignored. Two on-ramps - at Heinigstraße and Lorientallee - will be completely closed instead of receiving barriers since the ramps do not support a similar installation either due to their incline or for static reasons. Like on Hochstraße Nord for the first two weeks or so there will be trucks that will try to ignore the barriers too. The barriers as designed are pretty effective though, as in stopping even 40-ton trucks in place.

The barriers affect about 2,800 trucks (and busses) per day - out of 59,000 vehicles using Hochstraße Süd in total; the closure of that 470m section on Hochstraße Nord previously rerouted about 500 trucks from Hochstraße Nord to Hochstraße Süd. West-to-East truck traffic will now be completely rerouted via Hochstraße Nord, East-to-West truck traffic is routed onto Hochstraße Nord west of the section that's closed to trucks. Basically a "it's gonna fall in two years anyway, let's ride it into the ground" thing.

Aside from the renovation of Hochstraße Süd they'll also replace the nets under Hochstraße Nord - installed to catch falling concrete in 2010 - in early 2018. The new nets are supposed to last until the last parts of Hochstraße Nord are demolished in 2027 (the new road is built parallel to it, not in its place).

kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #9548
MichiH

B247/B176 Leinefelde - Erfurt

There's an interesting road project in Thuringia. B176/B247 from Erfurt to Leinefelde (81km) are planned to be upgraded in 12 sections to a fast connection between A71 and A38 in the center of Germany (OSM). The upgrade is planned to be funded by several PPP projects. The first two tender will be started in early 2018.

blue = in service (21km = 26%)
red = u/c (0km)
grey/red = preliminary works (7km = 9%)
grey with black = planning completed / building permit / plan approval order legal (22km = 27%)
grey = plan approval procedure (0km)
yellow = planning stage (0km)
white = early planning stage (31km = 38%)

The first PPP contract will be the northern-most section near Leinefelde (grey+ 2x blue on the map). The main construction is the Kallmerode bypass (2+1, plan approval order December 2009). Estimated construction period: 2019 to 2021.

The second PPP contract will be the grey + grey/red and blue section in the middle. B247 north of B249 (Höngda) will feature 2 lanes, B247 south of B249 will feature 4 lanes. Plan approval orders have been passed in 2011/12. Estimated construction period: 2020 to 2023.

See project page and this news article for more info.

The news article is about an info event happened in early September. A state secretary has presented the time schedule. The audience was skeptical because the event happened just prior to the Bundestag election and they doubted that they can trust what they are promised.

The State Secretary, Mr. Bomba answered:

Quote:
Sie haben hier einen Staatssekretär vor sich sitzen. Ich bin der Vertreter des Bundesverkehrsministers, ich habe Geld, Personal und Macht. Alles, was ich Ihnen sage, wird umgesetzt. Die Bundesregierung steht dahinter, der Bundesverkehrswegeplan und die Finanzierung sind Gesetz.

A State Secretary is sitting in front of you. I'm the representative of the Federal Minister of Transport, I have money, employees and power. All I tell you will be done. The Federal Government is behind it, the Bundesverkehrswegeplan (demand plan) and the funding are law.

ChrisZwolle, Luki_SL, Ices77 liked this post
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #9549
MichiH

Some updates to new motorway/expressway sections u/c:

Quote:
B49: Landfill site Beselich – Beselich/Merenberg 3.4km (May 2011 to Spring 2018) – projectmap
B49: AS Tiefenbach – AS Leun 2.1km (August 2016 to Late 2018) – projectmap
B49: AS Solms – AS Oberbiel-East 3.2km (May 2010 to Late 2017) [~300m/~1000m in service since 2014/15]projectmap
The westernmost section is still expected to be opened next spring. The next section is announced to be opened by late 2020 now (no info why) and the easternmost section is still missing a partial building permit. The plan approval order is challenged since 2008... That means, the completion date is unknown.

Quote:
B50: AS Platten – Longkamp 19.9km (July 2009 to 2018) – projectmap
Announced to be opened by the end of 2018. Source.

Quote:
B300: AS Dasing (A8) – AS Aichach-West ~4km (October 2014 to Fall 2018) – projectmap
It was partially opened on 11th October 2017 (Gallenbach - Aichach-West). Source.

There are also some additional expressways u/c which are not yet in my overview:

B75: AS Hamburg-Georgswerder – AS Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg-South (A26) 4.8km (October 2016 to 2019) [rededication of A252/A253: 6.0km]projectmap

B85: AS Schafhof – AS Freihölz 2.5km (June 2017 to Late 2018) – ? – map

B286: AS Schweinfurt-Zentrum (A70) – AS Schwebheim 3.1km (July 2017 to 2020) [2nd c/w] – projectmap

Old November 11th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #9550
ChrisZwolle
Road user

B50 Hochmoselbrücke

Quote:
Announced to be opened by the end of 2018. Source.
The 11th jacking phase was completed this week. It is the last extension of 2017, the next two phases (12 and 13) will be done in 2018, with the 13th phase completed in June 2018.

Webcam shots:

Old November 11th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #9551
MichiH

Funded new motorways/expressways

List of new motorway/expressway sections which have building permit and are funded:

A21: Klein Barkau – north of Nettelsee 6.2km (Mid 2018 to ?) – projectmap
A21: north of Nettelsee – north of AS Nettelsee ~2km (Mid 2018 to ?) – projectmap

A44: AS Sontra-West – AS Sontra-East ~9km (2017 to <= 2022/23) – projectmap

A72: AS Rötha – AK Leipzig (A38) 7.2km (2018 to ?) – projectmap

B10: AS Godramstein – AS Landau-North (A65) 4.1km (Spring 2018 to 2023) [2nd c/w] – projectmap

B10: west of AS Neu-Ulm-Finningen – east of AS Nersingen (A7) 5.5km (Spring 2018 to ?) [2nd c/w] – ? – map

B14: north of AS Backnang-West – AS Backnang-South ~4km (Summer 2018 to 2026) – ? – map
B14: AS Backnang-South – north of AS Waldrems ~2km (2021 to 2024) – ? – map
B14: north of AS Waldrems – south of AS Waldrems 0.9km (Spring 2018 to Early 2020) – ? – map

B29: west of Essingen – AS Essingen-Forst 1.5km (Fall 2018 to Late 2019) – ? – map
B29: AS Essingen-Forst – west of Aalen 2.0km (Mid 2019 to Late 2022) – ? – map

B33: AS Allensbach-Center – AS Allensbach-East 2.0km (2019 to 2027) – ? – map
B33: AS Allensbach-East – Hegne 2.0km (2020? to 2027) – ? – map
B33: Hegne – Waldsiedlung 1.4km (Spring 2018 to Late 2022) – ? – map

B47: AS Worms-Horchheimer Straße – AS Worms-South 1.2km (2018 to 2022) – projectmap

B58: east of Rhine bridge – Wesel-Schepersfeld (B70) 3.7km (2018 to 2022) – ? – map

B236: Dortmund-Aplerbecker Mark – AS Dortmund/Schwerte (A1) 1.7km (Spring 2018 to Fall 2020) – projectmap

Most of the projects have an estimated groundbreaking date in 2018. I have no updated info about the A44 section but 2017 seems to be outdated.

There are more projects which should get funding as soon as the building permits are legal, for instance, A281 Weser tunnel Bremen, A281 Airportstadt-Kattenturm or A94 Kirchham-Pocking are expected to be started in 2018 too.

Last edited by MichiH; November 11th, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #9552
Isek

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
AK Holz (October 2017):

The ramps of the AK were announced to be opened in fall 2018.
A44 and AK Holz are very ambitious projects since they are built on a quite newly spreaded dump. The dump consists of mainly sand soil with hights up to 185 meters. Density of the soil is rather low due to the meathod of dumping by large spreaders hence there are settlemets expected in a scale of several decimeters. This is unique in the world and a lot of measurements were done and will be conducted in the future to monitor soil behavior and settlements.

Deadeye Reloaded, Luki_SL liked this post
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #9553
ChrisZwolle
Road user

B480 Bad Wünnenberg

A webcam shot of the Aftetalbrücke construction of B480 at Bad Wünnenberg (Nordrhein-Westfalen).

* length: 785 m
* height: 72 m
* lanes: 2
* opening: 2020
* cost: € 41.1 million

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Deadeye Reloaded, SRC_100 liked this post
Old November 14th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #9554
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8964

Quote:
Something that could be put to use in Germany. A bridge replacement in 2 days!

Nice little baby bridge.

In Germany such bridge replacements are several times more impressive.

A10 (5 months ago)
What Is Love?

Luki_SL, SRC_100, JuergenSchT liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #9555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A643 Schiersteiner Brücke

Traffic will be switched over to the new span of the Schierstein Bridge across the Rhine this weekend. The bridge replacement is part of a partial widening of A643 (Hessen side only).

The project is considerably behind schedule, it was originally planned to switch traffic over to the new bridge in mid-2016. Construction began in September 2013. A completion was originally planned for 2019, but is now pushed into 2020 or 2021.

Traffic will continue to be bottlenecked on the Rheinland-Pfalz side, because the 950 meter long approach bridge on the side of Mainz will not be replaced during this project. There used to be plans for shoulder lanes on the RLP side (the Greens didn't want an expansion to six lanes), but the approach bridge has no shoulders.

g.spinoza, Luki_SL, Dantiscum liked this post
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #9556
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

Fortunately the federal government has forced Rheinland-Pfalz to start planning a full six-lane widening from Rhine bridge to Dreieck Mainz (A60). There are still some years to come, but this Autobahn will be widened and the respective plan approval process is currently being prepared (or already started?).

Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #9557
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
plan approval process is currently being prepared (or already started?).
The plan approval procedure has not yet been started. The estimated construction period is 5 to 6 years and the costs are about 160 million €. Section length is 4.1km.

http://mainzerring.de/de/die-strecke...rechte-ausbau/

Old November 21st, 2017, 08:44 PM   #9558
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Fechingen Bridge

The replacement of the Fechingen Bridge of A6 near Saarbrücken is going to cost significantly more money than has been anticipated.

The bridge had to be closed to all traffic in 2016 after static problems were reported. They milled the asphalt off the bridge deck to reduce the load.

Last year, a replacement cost of € 60 - 80 million was anticipated. This has now doubled, it stands at € 126 million and a construction time of '10 years plus'.

http://www.sr.de/sr/home/nachrichten...lionen100.html

https://www.welt.de/regionales/rhein...onen-Euro.html

Luki_SL, cinxxx, keokiracer liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:51 AM   #9559
Gedeon

Likes (Received): 12472

126 million euros? What will it be made of, titanium?

webeagle12, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Gedeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:59 PM   #9560
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A33 Halle - Bielefeld

Quote:
A33: AS Halle-Künsebeck – AS Bielefeld-Center 7.9km (September 2009 to Late 2017) – projectmap
Delayed to Spring 2018: A33: Freigabe in 2017 nicht mehr möglich

7.5 years of construction through flat terrain with no tunnels or sizable bridges.

bogdymol, geogregor liked this post

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau