daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #961
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I really like the B-Profile barriers. nicely colored and looks more "advanced" than A-Profile barriers or concrete barriers. Are concrete barriers popular on the Autobahn? I also noticed that behind a lot of the crash barriers, there are more guardrails. What are those for?
They're probably there to make the impact lighter by redistributing the force of it into several layers. It gives the person in the vehicle a bigger chance of getting out unhurt.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #962
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
I really like the B-Profile barriers. nicely colored and looks more "advanced" than A-Profile barriers or concrete barriers. Are concrete barriers popular on the Autobahn? I also noticed that behind a lot of the crash barriers, there are more guardrails. What are those for?
yeah, but Radi hates them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
concrete barriers (jersey barrier) are getting more popular due to higher security standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier
here in Croatia in last 2-3 years they are putting only metal barriers (but double), and earlier (from 1990es on) they used a lot of Jerseys
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #963
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Jerseys look so dirty and run-down after a few months though. I'm not sure about other countries but in the U.S., whenever there is bare concrete, it will almost certainly look dirty and dark after a few months. I think Jerseys are great for durability but there has to be a way to make it look better.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #964
x-type
con los terroristas

they are not actually that extra durable. i remember first Jersey at our motorways, they were installed in 1995 at montanious section where there is a lot of snow in winter. today they are in really bad condition and are being replaced with double metal barriers
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #965
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
they are not actually that extra durable. i remember first Jersey at our motorways, they were installed in 1995 at montanious section where there is a lot of snow in winter. today they are in really bad condition and are being replaced with double metal barriers
The durability of the Jersey comes when you collide with them. Jerseys are heavier and much more solid than metal barriers, but aesthetically, they are nowhere near great. I don't remember seeing any concrete in mountainous areas that are in good condition. One reason can be that cars slide on the ice and collide with them, and then you have the snow plows that dump snow on the barriers, and all the slush and ice makes the Jersey look really dirty.

Are double metal barriers better than Jerseys during impact?
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #966
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Are double metal barriers better than Jerseys during impact?
No. Look at last posts in Italian motorways thread.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #967
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

You need double-sided, double lines of metal crash barriers. One-sided barriers only hold cars.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #968
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
No. Look at last posts in Italian motorways thread.
there must have been some mistake at barrier, a hole nearles or something. i'm not sure that lorry can pass through it as through butter if they are in normal condition
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #969
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Jerseys look so dirty and run-down after a few months though. I'm not sure about other countries but in the U.S., whenever there is bare concrete, it will almost certainly look dirty and dark after a few months.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing too in Belgium. In the Netherlands, there are only a few stretches with Jerseys. They are all on new roads, maybe they're changing to Jersey in NL too. They have some kind of caterpillar machine where you pour concrete in at the front, and a barrier comes out at the back. They could do a few kilometers a day this way. Perhaps it's cheaper.

I saw they also added Jerseys on some German autobahns.
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #970
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yeah, I noticed the same thing too in Belgium. In the Netherlands, there are only a few stretches with Jerseys. They are all on new roads, maybe they're changing to Jersey in NL too. They have some kind of caterpillar machine where you pour concrete in at the front, and a barrier comes out at the back. They could do a few kilometers a day this way. Perhaps it's cheaper.

I saw they also added Jerseys on some German autobahns.
I'm not sure how they place Jerseys in Washington State. Sometimes though, they have Jerseys that have A-profile metal barriers tacked onto them. Those in my opinion look a little better than just plain Jerseys.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #971
HAWC1506

Hey does germany use cable barriers?
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #972
thun

No. Never seen them, they probably wouldn't fit German savety laws for some reason.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #973
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

what exactly is it? have a pic?
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #974
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Example from Sweden:
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #975
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

thx. i don't think that we have such.

another rare type can be found in Berlin, but they'll be removed for concrete barriers in the future.

autobahn-bilder.de
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #976
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Customs in Berlin?
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #977
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

i don't know, there are also many old-looking a-profile barriers.
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #978
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
No. Never seen them, they probably wouldn't fit German savety laws for some reason.
Oh cable barriers may be good for cars, but for motorcyclists it's extremely dangerous. Here's an article from Autoblog.com.

We aren't conspiracy theorists, and we believe that government usually wants to do the right thing. Nevertheless, we do wonder sometimes how large groups of smart people come up with such dumb ideas. In this case, it's wire rope barriers used to act as a median on rural roads.

The barriers, already in use in Sweden, the Netherlands and New Zealand, are used to prevent head-on collisions between automobiles on narrower roads that don't allow for thick concrete barriers. The UK was in favor of installing them, until a study by a motorcycle group showed that they would be fatal for motorcyclists. In New Zealand, the barriers were nicknamed "cheese cutters" after a 22-year-old motorcyclist encountered them at speed and was sliced in two like a brick of fromage.

Now the Institute of Advanced Motorists, the group that had been lobbying for them in the UK, has withdrawn its endorsement. It now wants to "ensure that any barrier system proposed anywhere on our roads places the safety needs of motorcyclists at the top of the list."
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #979
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The barriers, already in use in Sweden, the Netherlands and New Zealand
I've never seen them here. They are also saying it's too dangerous for bikers...
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #980
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I've seen them in the US, but mostly they use the type we have in NL

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau