daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #1001
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yes, it means it's the end of the overtaking prohibit.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #1002
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, it means it's the end of the overtaking prohibit.
so I'm guessing when trucks are prohibited from passing cars, they are limited to only the right lane? Can they overtake other trucks?
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #1003
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

The restriction is primarily in place to prevent trucks from overtaking other trucks. The difference in speed is often so small that it takes ages before the overtaking action is complete, blocking faster traffic and causing jams. This is referred to as an "elephant race".
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #1004
sebastian c

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
How about Autobahnen that were not built?

The red line was a plan that was dropped in 2003 by the pressure of environmentalists, to connect Koblenz and Siegen with a Autobahn.
I didn`t even know about these plans Patrick! Really interesting. Such an Autobahn would have been really important for towns like Hachenburg. It would have brought these regions (Koblenz/Westerwald/Siegerland and so on) closer together. Today the Westerwald, though the Bundesstraßen are ok, always seems a bit like a desert concerning the traffic infrastructure. Just for comparisom; to get from Siegen to the city of Frankfurt (125km) takes only about an hour 15 via the A45, to get from Siegen to Koblenz (100km) takes about 1h 45.
But I also understand that the costs of such an autobahn are just huge and also the damage to the nature and the whole "atmosphere" of the region would be really serious. (just image a huge bridge right over the middle of some towns like planned fo Mudersbach on your map)

We have the same discussion east of Siegen where an autobahn through the Rothaargebirge (mountains) to the area of Hessen was planned. Nowadays the only thing which might be possible seems to be a three-lane Bundesstraße to north Hessen (Marburg).
As it is today these regions are very badly connected; Marburg seems so far away from us though it´s only 80km..

What is going to be build beginning next year is the last part of the B54n in the south of Siegen going into Rheinland-Pfalz...3 kilometers for 80 million €. (7 bridges and one tunnel)

This is how the part north of Siegen looks:

Also just a Bundesstraße, no "real" Autobahn.

In Siegen:

btw I really like our Autobahn system. It´s just great to be free to decide for yourself how fast you want to drive and to be able to get to most places quickly, but still relaxed.
But we also have to admit that on many roads there are speed limits and also many autobahns have lots of traffic, especially lorry-traffic and really need one or tow more lanes. Driving fast is really not possible everywhere, some roads are just annoying to drive.
(the A3 in Northern Bavaria for example, also A3 and A1 in northrine-westphalia - A4 Olpe - Köln and the A45 at least south of the Ruhr area are really great)

Last edited by sebastian c; August 26th, 2008 at 02:45 AM.
sebastian c no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #1005
sebastian c

Likes (Received): 14

Siegtalbridge of the A45 from below:

(finally a place for my old pics.. )
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #1006
HAWC1506

So I'm writing a letter to Washington State governor Christine Gregoire about the passing lane law and I need to know what other countries are doing.

The main things I need to know are what is the law? What is the justification to use this law? What is the purpose of the law and what are the benefits of the law?

Then I need to know which countries have the law and how it is enforced.

Finally, I need to know the consequences for breaking the law.

I would like information from as many countries as I can, but specifically, I need information from France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

If you guys could help out, that would be absolutely wonderful.
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #1007
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In the Netherlands, overtaking on the right is prohibited and fined with € 150 ($ 225). At the same time, sticking to the left lane unnecessary is also fined with € 150 ($ 225). It's not really enforced that much, they can only fine you if they catch you with a video patrol car, but it works quite good in the Netherlands.

However, left/middle lane stickers are notorious on the few 8/10 lane freeways we have. But I assume it's less of a problem on freeways with more than 3 lanes per direction. It's mostly irritating when there are 4 lanes and you can't overtake someone because they drive on the left lane constantly at lower speeds.

By the way, the fine for not signalling when changing lanes or move your car otherwise is € 60 ($ 90)

Interesting, the fines for tailgating differs on the speed driven, from € 180 ($ 270) for speeds below 50 mph to € 480 ($ 720) at full freeway speeds (75 mph).
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1008
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Seit Donnerstag (28.08.08) ist das achtspurige Teilstück (Foto mit Abfahrten am Kreuz Köln-Ost) offiziell eröffnet. Ob sich der Verkehr künftig auf diesem Stück der A3 nun wirklich weniger staut, bleibt abzuwarten.
The 2x4 lanes section of the A3 near Köln (Cologne) has officially been opened
Old August 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #1009
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

maybe I get there this september and take some pics. but in fact, the construction site will just move north for the next part to expand
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1010
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The 2x4 lanes section of the A3 near Köln (Cologne) has officially been opened
Pictures from the opening day 2008.08.28 direction Oberhausen:
[IMG]http://i38.************/x5nu37.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i36.************/35n4weg.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i35.************/262o7py.jpg[/IMG]
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #1011
Viriatuus

Likes (Received): 1038

HAWC1506:

Quote:
If you look closely at the picture though, you will notice that the markings have little bumps on them. There's a special machine that Washington uses that thickens the paint at intervals to create a vibration when cars run over it.
Here in Portugal they are extensively used too.
Viriatuus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:44 AM   #1012
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRob View Post
Pictures from the opening day 2008.08.28 direction Oberhausen:
[IMG]http://i38.************/x5nu37.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i36.************/35n4weg.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i35.************/262o7py.jpg[/IMG]
That is a very impressive section of highway. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as other sections, but I'm guessing this is in an urban corridor. The degree of perfection and effort put into German highways is just absolutely nonexistent in the United States. Kudos to Germany.

This highway is massive compared to other sections too!
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM   #1013
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Is this the widest German motorway? I believe sections with more than 2x3 lanes are already rare. Well, traffic volumes are usually lower than in US or Dutch urban areas.
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:26 PM   #1014
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

It's the equally widest German motorway, tied with the A5 around Frankfurt. The A5 between Frankfurt Airport (A3) and the Darmstädter Kreuz is the longest 2x4 section with 17 kms. I've driven over 200 km/h a few times there
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM   #1015
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
It's the equally widest German motorway, tied with the A5 around Frankfurt. The A5 between Frankfurt Airport (A3) and the Darmstädter Kreuz is the longest 2x4 section with 17 kms. I've driven over 200 km/h a few times there
what I especially like there is when there is few traffic only, i am driving to the right, and a slower car is driving on the inner left lane (why the hell?) so that I have to cross all lanes from far right to far left to overtake. and get back to far right after overtaking
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:53 AM   #1016
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

these should be all current 4+4 sections in germany, not that much:

Quote:
Zitat von Rohnes Posting
- A3 AD Heumar - AK Köln-Ost, ca 3km

- A3 Frankfurt Süd - Offenbacher Kreuz ca 6km

- A5 Westkreuz Frankfurt - Frankfurter Kreuz ca. 10km

- A5 Zeppelinheim - Darmstädter Kreuz ca. 20km
(älteres Bild)

- A9 AK München Nord - AK Neufahrn ca 10km

- A66 Frankfurt Höchst - Eschborner Dreieck ziemlich kurz, vielleicht 1km

immerhin 7spurig (also eine der beiden Richtungsfahrbahnen 4spurig) sind folgende Strecken:
- A3 Wiesbadener Kreuz - Mönchhofdreieck, Richtung Köln

- A8 AD Leonberg - AK Stuttgart, Richtung München
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de...02511&t=k&z=19

- A8 AK München-Süd - kurz hinter Hofoldinger Forst, Richtung Salzburg

gängige Quellen: rippachtal.de autobahnatlas-online.de autobahn-bilder.de autobahnen-europa.eu phalc.autobahnen-europa.eu autobahn-online.de
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM   #1017
HAWC1506

I'm guessing trucks are limited to only the right two lanes in the section where the right two lanes are paved with concrete?
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1018
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

True.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1019
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

we had this one before, too. but i couldn't resist to post it again

Quote:
neulich in Köln

source
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM   #1020
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian c View Post
I didn`t even know about these plans Patrick! Really interesting. Such an Autobahn would have been really important for towns like Hachenburg. It would have brought these regions (Koblenz/Westerwald/Siegerland and so on) closer together. Today the Westerwald, though the Bundesstraßen are ok, always seems a bit like a desert concerning the traffic infrastructure. Just for comparisom; to get from Siegen to the city of Frankfurt (125km) takes only about an hour 15 via the A45, to get from Siegen to Koblenz (100km) takes about 1h 45.
But I also understand that the costs of such an autobahn are just huge and also the damage to the nature and the whole "atmosphere" of the region would be really serious. (just image a huge bridge right over the middle of some towns like planned fo Mudersbach on your map)

We have the same discussion east of Siegen where an autobahn through the Rothaargebirge (mountains) to the area of Hessen was planned. Nowadays the only thing which might be possible seems to be a three-lane Bundesstraße to north Hessen (Marburg).
As it is today these regions are very badly connected; Marburg seems so far away from us though it´s only 80km..

What is going to be build beginning next year is the last part of the B54n in the south of Siegen going into Rheinland-Pfalz...3 kilometers for 80 million €. (7 bridges and one tunnel)

This is how the part north of Siegen looks:
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/5...ihts0013kh.jpg
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6...ihts0081cr.jpg
Also just a Bundesstraße, no "real" Autobahn.

In Siegen:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...gen_Center.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...HTS_Siegen.jpg

btw I really like our Autobahn system. It´s just great to be free to decide for yourself how fast you want to drive and to be able to get to most places quickly, but still relaxed.
But we also have to admit that on many roads there are speed limits and also many autobahns have lots of traffic, especially lorry-traffic and really need one or tow more lanes. Driving fast is really not possible everywhere, some roads are just annoying to drive.
(the A3 in Northern Bavaria for example, also A3 and A1 in northrine-westphalia - A4 Olpe - Köln and the A45 at least south of the Ruhr area are really great)
true. Siegen to me seems more far away than Cologne, although it's just 3/4 of the distance to Cologne, (just about only 60km via B413 Hachenburg, Betzdorf, B62) just due to the lack of an Autobahn going there. I don't know how crowded the Bundesstraßen into this direction are (Hachenburg - Betzdorf, or B54 coming from Limburg to Haiger/Burbach henner Renneroud rechts römm) because I only were there in late evenings (ok, once, destination Dreis-Tiefenbach ). But I'd like to come back again to Siegen one day to drive along the new HTS and take own pics And as I am planning to extend my stadium visits next year, I'd also like to see the Leimbachstadion one day (but I first need more money ), no matter if NRW-Liga or whatver

you were also talking about the atmosphere, for example caused by a big bridge like near Mudersbach: People get used to that after some years. How would Siegen look like without the Siegertalbrücke? Nowadays it's a part of it Same for the Moseltalbrücke in Winningen for example. And Winningen is still one of the most beliked spots at the Untermosel. With that bridge being part of it Changes are always dramatically at the first moment, but getting used to that is also easy after some time

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau