daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #1081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

In order to let these monsters eat the earth, they have started with the rerouting of the A4 Autobahn between Aachen and Köln.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #1082
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

wow, thats brutal...

will they demolish Manheim and Morschenich??

not far away a short section of the A44 was demolished too...

here in hungary there is a similar relocation: a 5km long section of main road no. 3 was relocated to make room for open pit mining...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #1083
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
will they demolish Manheim and Morschenich??
Probably, such relocations don't happen in China only.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1084
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

I returned to Germanytry to take the tet for the American university in Bulgaria again and mainly to work in these months til christmas. I loved the fact that in Bayern they only use the Struma motorway type of crashbarriers, well at least where I was in Oberbayern. I was also amazed by the finished section of A8 motorway near Augsburg it was 10 km long or so and it looked great. It had very shiny crashbarriers of the Bulgarian type which made the motorway look even better. I didn´t take pics of it because I was too lazy to take out the camera so I wanted ask if I can find pics of this amazing section.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1085
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Radi, lazy you!!!
If the crashbarriers were that nice, I'd expect you to take pictures
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #1086
radi6404

I wasn´t fast enough to get the camera out of the sack. I regret very much that I don´t have pics of it now. Only thing I don´t understand is why they don´t have cateyes on German crashbarriers, I thought it´s standart for euopre but it seems it isn´t. Even the very new mirror crashbarriers on that stretch didn´t have cateyes.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #1087
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
I wanted ask
I wanted to ask

One interesting thing about PT is that sometimes it's so crowded you can't even get on bus. That's what I think of when they advertise themselves. It happens on just two bus lines here, but they happen to be the ones I'd use, if I went by bus.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #1088
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You can't just limit a freeway to 2x3 lanes no matter what. For instance, in your area, nearly all north-south traffic centers around Seattle, because there are extensive suburban areas both north and south of Seattle. All traffic comes together around downtown. I'd rather have one major freeway of 12 lanes, than say 2 or 3 2x3 freeways 1 or 2 miles apart. However, on the larger perspective (metro area) it's better to have several freeways to make the network more robust in case of incidents. The I-405 is an example of that.

Traffic wise, it's best to spread out the number of worklocations, so you have less massive commuter flows on freeways, and preferrably both ways. I know that's not the best idea for most skyline enthousiasts (including me), but traffic wise it's better to have more work locations in the suburbs. Some US metro area's are doing a good job that way, for instance Atlanta.
I-405 is one of the worst-congested highways in Washington State. There's a project on the SR99 viaduct replacement, during which I-5 will receive the bulk of SR99 traffic. So to help ease congestion, WSDOT is having extra buses. I don't think they would be doing that if public transportation doesn't help ease congestion.

Then also, Seattle is a very commercially-oriented city. There are barely any places to live compared to places to work, which is a huge problem because people have to commute to Seattle to work but they live in Issaquah, Bellevue, Federal Way, etc. Bellevue is doing a much better job creating a balance between commercial and residential and thus you don't even need to drive to go buy food.

I love cars and highways, but America has to go a different direction and not be so car-centric. IMHO.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #1089
radi6404

what you mean verso? I came with some Blagoevgrad friends who drive the route every week and bring Bulgarians from Blagoevgrad to where they say, they leave with 2 or 3 cars from blagoevgrad, VW Sharan mostly and it´s always great since the people must be delivered to different places always and I get to see new towns and roads and landscape. sometimes I go by bus too, and I love long journeys, travelling is my life, it is by far the best thing I know to do and I hope I can find a job where I have to travel long jounreys. And I would always go by road, only if I had to travel more than once a week. airplane is way too fast and the stories in the news lately doesn´t really sound save anyway.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #1090
HAWC1506

Quote:
But did public transit solve any congestion problems in traffic jam-ridden cities? Look at New York for instance. It has a massive PT usage, yet the traffic jams are one of the worst in the country. Ofcourse, it would be far worse without public transit, so I believe it's a reciprocity of both modalities. Coincidentally, they just released new figures of commutertraffic patterns in the Netherlands. We are known for extensive PT, yet only 1 out of 10 commuters uses public transport. source in dutch
There's a reason why people chose their cars over public transit, and that reason is not only the stereotypically "lazyness" or "old habits".

New York, Los Angeles, and many large American cities have very poor public transportation systems and they are poorly planned. Many don't take you to places that you want to go. Sometimes, it's also a capacity problem. Tokyo on the other hand, does very well and that is exactly why carmakers are beginning to lose sales in Japan because people just don't have the need to drive anymore. Good public transportation can take you where you want to go fast, and on-time. Which is good, because for those of us who love cars, we don't have to deal with as many people on the highway :]

Tokyo Highway Network:

Tokyo Subway Network:

New York Highway Network:

New York Subway Network:

It all depends on the city planning. In Germany, I'm sure there is a great network of highways, but in some countries, highways just can't be the only thing we rely on. :] haha great inputs from everyone. I was gone for one day and boom two new pages...
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #1091
radi6404

Are we talking here about German motorways or about tokyo metro? Now everything I said is hidden from other users because noone goes back a page to see what others have written in this case I of German motorways.
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #1092
HAWC1506

Quote:
I wasn´t fast enough to get the camera out of the sack. I regret very much that I don´t have pics of it now. Only thing I don´t understand is why they don´t have cateyes on German crashbarriers, I thought it´s standart for euopre but it seems it isn´t. Even the very new mirror crashbarriers on that stretch didn´t have cateyes.
Cateyes on crashbarriers? I've seen reflector posts next to crash barriers but not cateyes.
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #1093
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4258

Quote:
In order to let these monsters eat the earth, they have started with the rerouting of the A4 Autobahn between Aachen and Köln.

How can this be possible in Germany? Every little expansions of airports causes protests from all sites because of some little bat or rare rodent and there they destroy the landscape on a large scale. Where is the green party, greenpeace and all the other eco hippies?

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #1094
HAWC1506

Are those...oil refineries???
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #1095
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
How can this be possible in Germany? Every little expansions of airports causes protests from all sites because of some little bat or rare rodent and there they destroy the landscape on a large scale. Where is the green party, greenpeace and all the other eco hippies?
Apparently coal mining companies give much more money to local population than the state.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #1096
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

hmmm... that's a really convincing explanation...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1097
keber

Actually it is quite true.

Private companies are usually more generous at paying compensations than state. Time is money.
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #1098
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
I returned to Germanytry to take the tet for the American university in Bulgaria again and mainly to work in these months til christmas. I loved the fact that in Bayern they only use A-profile crashbarriers (same as in Bulgaria), well at least where I was in Oberbayern. I was also amazed by the finished section of A8 motorway near Augsburg it was 10 km long or so and it looked great. It had very shiny crashbarriers of the A-profile type which made the motorway look even better. I didn´t take pics of it because I was too lazy to take out the camera so I wanted ask if I can find pics of this amazing section.
there isn't a "bulgarian type" of barriers, just a-profile, b-profile and concrete barrier
Hm...I haven't found any new pics of these at the established Autobahn websites.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #1099
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
once they are done there, they usually renaturate the area. and example is the nearby Indeland (http://www.indeland.de/home/index.php) where they have longterm plans to reactivate the area.

Last edited by Patrick; September 16th, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #1100
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I made some pics of Tagebau Inden last year, which is not far away from Hambach.

[img]http://i17.************/4tgzn2b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i18.************/680xq12.jpg[/img]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau