daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1221
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

We had to learn only the capitals of Dutch Provinces, there are only 12 of them. Most people don't know it now anyway. Topographic knowledge of grownups is so bad sometimes... I also know all 50 states + their capitals, but I guess that's no surprise
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #1222
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Chris studies his Rand McNally for hours before going to bed
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:57 AM   #1223
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Chris studies his Rand McNally for hours before going to bed
Well I have to study American history before going to bed... There's an interesting section about how the government was once opposed to creating an interstate road in the 19th century.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1224
Timon91
Error

Poor you, I haven't had any history lessons for about 2 years now, and I don't miss it at all
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1225
HAWC1506

Quote:
Poor you, I haven't had any history lessons for about 2 years now, and I don't miss it at all
Well this is what you get in high school taking IB American History. Last year was more fun, I actually got to write an essay about the history of the German Autobahn, starting from Hitler.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1226
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Well this is what you get in high school taking IB American History. Last year was more fun, I actually got to write an essay about the history of the German Autobahn, starting from Hitler.
Hitler didn't invent the Autobahn. He initially was an opponent of Autobahns, but then saw the value of it as a propaganda issue.
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1227
Timon91
Error

Quote:
You also follow the IB-programme? Me too, I have IB-English. Though you wouldn't really say I have, considering my spelling mistakes
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM   #1228
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Sorry for OT but I'm very curios what's the monthly fee, cause a son of a friend of a friend of a friend of mine also follows the IB in Łódź and he pays like 300 euro a month
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM   #1229
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Sorry for OT but I'm very curios what's the monthly fee, cause a son of a friend of a friend of a friend of mine also follows the IB in Łódź and he pays like 300 euro a month
I have no idea, but it's definately less than that. I just do the normal Dutch high school with the English IB-programme as an extra. It's hard work, and I hope to get my IB diploma next July. Maybe HAWC1056 knows it?

Last edited by Timon91; October 21st, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM   #1230
HAWC1506

Quote:
You also follow the IB-programme? Me too, I have IB-English. Though you wouldn't really say I have, considering my spelling mistakes
Yeah IB English is a pain sometimes. I hated reading the Scarlet Letter. I am assuming you guys are studying transcendentalism currently too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Hmm...I've never heard of a monthly fee. Maybe it varies from country to country or maybe even school to school. For our school in the U.S. though, the only time we have to pay is to register for the IB exams. Registration is about $120 USD, and each exam you want to take will cost about $85 dollars. So if you take six IB classes and want to take the exam for all of them, it'll be $120 + 6($85) = $630. Some classes will only allow you to take tests if you've taken the standard level and higher level of that class (two years). In our school, we have a regulation saying that if you're a junior (11th grade), you cannot take a higher-level exam, and that you cannot take more than two exams. I'm a junior currently, so I cannot take six tests.

Btw, I'm curious as to where your friend's friend's friend's son got the 300 euros/month figure. That's definitely too much for the IB programme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hitler didn't invent the Autobahn. He initially was an opponent of Autobahns, but then saw the value of it as a propaganda issue.
Yeah it had something to do with the 'People' projects. Like the people's radio, people's car (Volkswagen), and basically the Autobahn was used to improve his image, but he also wanted a more capitalistic economy. I did remember reading somewhere that he preferred the Autobahn to traditional rail though. It was quite an interesting project. I got an A- on it, but it was still a fun project haha. I especially loved the tourism part of it, where he designated scenic spots, aesthetic bridges, and rest areas.

Btw, does anyone have pictures of modern Autobahn rest areas?

Last edited by HAWC1506; October 22nd, 2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:32 PM   #1231
Timon91
Error

Well, I do all kinds of stuff with literature. In class we discussed books like Huckleberry Finn, Benito Cereno, Heart of Darkness and a few others. Besides that, we do lots of writing. It isn't fun, but it can be interesting and if you make it you have a diploma with which you can do a lot.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM   #1232
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Btw, I'm curious as to where your friend's friend's friend's son got the 300 euros/month figure. That's definitely too much for the IB programme.
AFAIK, it's for both IB and because it is a private school

Chris
, shall we move to the roadside rest area?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:20 AM   #1233
HAWC1506

Quote:
Well, I do all kinds of stuff with literature. In class we discussed books like Huckleberry Finn, Benito Cereno, Heart of Darkness and a few others. Besides that, we do lots of writing. It isn't fun, but it can be interesting and if you make it you have a diploma with which you can do a lot.
Yeah I'm not doing the diploma. The main reason is because my French teacher is not exactly...well 'skilled', and after having her for regular French, I do NOT want her as an IB French teacher.

I always do bad on essays. They're fun to write sometimes (only if you get good topics such as being able to write about the Autobahn), but I still do bad haha.

So I visited a rest area in Washington lately, and there is free coffee :]
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM   #1234
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
We wanted to get a free coffee, but a lady in the booth said that we had to donate some change first
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM   #1235
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Yeah I'm not doing the diploma. The main reason is because my French teacher is not exactly...well 'skilled', and after having her for regular French, I do NOT want her as an IB French teacher.

I always do bad on essays. They're fun to write sometimes (only if you get good topics such as being able to write about the Autobahn), but I still do bad haha.

Writing essays isn't my best skill either
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #1236
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
We wanted to get a free coffee, but a lady in the booth said that we had to donate some change first
If you're in America I say you go sue for that cup of coffee. Washington rest areas are quite boring though. They're usually out in the middle of nowhere with toilets and a news/maps stand. That's it. I've seen pictures of German rest areas with resorts, restaurants, hotels, etc. Soooo beautiful.

Quote:
Writing essays isn't my best skill either
I got an essay test back today and I got a 14.5/30. (!??!?!) Fortunately, my teacher curved it and my grade ended up being 81%, instead of 48% haha. But...14.5/30?!??!?!
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #1237
muc

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506
I've seen pictures of German rest areas with resorts, restaurants, hotels, etc. Soooo beautiful.
Like this one?

A7 Raststaette Illertal-Ost
muc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1238
ChrisZwolle
Road user

the German disneyland
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #1239
mati162c

Likes (Received): 0

maybe a little ot, but...
u saw this rest area with some kinda castle - excalibur or something on cz-a border???
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #1240
Timon91
Error

Could be. Excaliber means "invincible", good name for a castle

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau