daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1441
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
As for the speed limits - is anuthing new known about possible introduction of obligatory 130 km/h?
As far as i know, there are no plans for the introduction of a nationwide speedlimit on the German Autobahn. But this issue is an ongoing public debate, but there isn't a (political) majority who wants to impose a speedlimit.

The current minister of transport Wolfgang Tiefensee (SPD) suggested once that it would be good to reduce the carbon dioxide emissions by imposing a speedlimit. It's well known that environmentalists and some leftwing politicians would like to see a speedlimit, but it's less known that this wouldn't result in major changes regarding pollution. It has been calculated that a maximumspeed of 130 km/h would result in a decline of 0.3% of the entire CO2-emission of Germany. Germany is worldwide the 38th country when it comes down to carbon dioxide emissions per capita, which is suprisingly low for an industrial powerhouse. As we can see, the enviromental impact of the lack of a speedlimit is very small, perhaps unnoticable.

Even the previous coalition of the SDU and Greens failed to impose a maximumspeed. Gerhard Schröder called Germany an Autofahrernation (a nation of drivers) to point out the fact that a speed limit would not be generally accepted by the public.
In May 2008 the large coalition of SPD and CDU as well as the FDP rejected the introduction of a speed limit of 130 km/h. To put it simply: Merkel said Nein!.
In contrast the support of leftwing politicians, there is also the important and powerful lobby of VDA (Verband der Automobilindustrie, a German interest group of the German automobile industry), AVD (Germany's oldest automobile club), ADAC (Germany's and Europe's largest automobile club), Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Opel, etc. is against a speedlimit. They and many Germans even suggest Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger, which could be interpretated like 'free speeds for free people'.

The overall safety record of German autobahns is generally better than other European highways. So, safety could be an issue but there is not direct correlation between the safetyrecord and the lack of a speedlimits. Countries like France or Spain are losing more people on the road despite their smaller population.
So, i think it is safe to conclude that there won't be a maximumspeed imposed on the Autobahns. I would like to see the German system extended over some European countries (if possible).

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1442
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I don't think that there could be much no-limit roads in the Netherlands, for example. Perhaps the A7 on some stretches (Afsluitdijk and east of Groningen), but in order to handle it properly, you need 2×3 or a very quiet 2×2. And of course on some roads there are just too much trucks to handle it. And finally, there are always NIMBY's complaining about noise pollution.

But in bigger countries, like Poland, France and Italy it should be possible. However, in Poland it already looks like there is no speed limit
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1443
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
I just love when they are deliberately blocking the left lane when on a speed limit...
Are you sure they weren't Dutch?
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1444
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I don't think that there could be much no-limit roads in the Netherlands, for example. (...) are always NIMBY's complaining about noise pollution.

But in bigger countries, like Poland, France and Italy it should be possible. However, in Poland it already looks like there is no speed limit
Yeah, Ukraine, Poland and the Czech Republic are countries were I have driven like there wasn't a speedlimit. Go with the flow! I assume this could also be the case in Italy.

But in the Netherlands it wouldn't work, most roads are too busy and the leftwing sentiments are powerful here. But roads like the A37 would be perfect for no-limit.

BTW: I heard some rumours about imposing a maximumspeed of 160 in the Czech republic, Slovakia and Austria. Is this true?
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1445
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
As far as i know, there are no plans for the introduction of a nationwide speedlimit on the German Autobahn. But this issue is an ongoing public debate, but there isn't a (political) majority who wants to impose a speedlimit.
Not to mention the loss of image of german car manufacturers and connected industries. "Autobahn ready" is heavily marketed abroad and buyers of german products trust those words. If they introduce speed limit autobahn will become just ordinary motorway.

Quote:
BTW: I heard some rumours about imposing a maximumspeed of 160 in the Czech republic, Slovakia and Austria. Is this true?
In new law Slovakia introduces the option of 160 km/h speed limit on some stretches of motorways. In Austria environmentalists are too strong so I guess it can't be introduced.

Last edited by pijanec; December 1st, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1446
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
Not to mention the loss of image of german car manufacturers and connected industries. "Autobahn ready" is heavily marketed abroad and buyers of german products trust those words.
Perhaps we can say that the lack of Speedlimits is not only giving the German Autobahn some mythical properties, but it is also a part of the contemparory German culture.

But now something else, here are some examples of Nazi propaganda using the Autobahn. It is believed by many that Hitler and Nazi-Germany were the creators of the Autobahn, and images like these were partially to blame for that myth.

An old postcard showing Hitler and a Autobahn:

Last edited by 909; December 1st, 2008 at 11:32 PM.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1447
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

My article about U.S. infrastructure is up. http://www.autosavant.com/2008/12/01...lding-us-back/

And RipleyLV, somehow the editor didn't include the photocredit I sent him. I've contacted him about it and he should have your name up soon :]

Last edited by HAWC1506; December 2nd, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:30 AM   #1448
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Thanks for that. Germany seems very well connected based on that map, although there does seem to be a disproportionate abundance of autobahns in the far west of the country.
Don't forget, too, that in the east, 'commerce' was most definitely *NOT* a top priority of the Commies for the 45 years or so from 1945 until The Wall™ fell in 1989 and it has been a constant game of 'catch up' for the German Federal Transport Ministry ever since.

IIRC, aside from the modern-day A24, there was virtually zero development of the autobahns in the east during that period.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM   #1449
Timon91
Error

Actually the autobahns in the east are among the best of the country, apart from some stretch near Schmölln on the A11, but they started repaving recently
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1450
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
There was a test in 2007 on the A10 in Kärnten, but only for a short section and conditions permitting (electronic signs).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1451
Timon91
Error

I also heard about some test in the Czech Republic, but I don't know if they got something through.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM   #1452
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I also heard about some test in the Czech Republic, but I don't know if they got something through.
It's not gonna happen this or next year. It's been only a proposal to set up a discussion on this topic and to find out appropriate solution. IMO it would be acceptable in few years, when the base network is completed...

I think the best way to do this is to leave generally 130 kph limit and to enable to break this rule with a "130 kph recommended" sign... If a 160 kph limit is set, people will tend to drive 160, because "it's allowed", if you leave 130 as recommendation, it still says more to driver, that 130 is the recommended maximum, but you can drive more without speeding, but with much higher responsibility and risk, as in Germany...
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM   #1453
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Only a few days left and them I'm going to Cologne again Maybe I'll take some pics of the highways!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM   #1454
Morsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
It's not gonna happen this or next year. It's been only a proposal to set up a discussion on this topic and to find out appropriate solution. IMO it would be acceptable in few years, when the base network is completed...

I think the best way to do this is to leave generally 130 kph limit and to enable to break this rule with a "130 kph recommended" sign... If a 160 kph limit is set, people will tend to drive 160, because "it's allowed", if you leave 130 as recommendation, it still says more to driver, that 130 is the recommended maximum, but you can drive more without speeding, but with much higher responsibility and risk, as in Germany...
I'm not exactly sure that will be the case. Last summer, when gas prices were through the roof, a Swedish newspaper article claimed that people were slowing down. It was deducted that it was because people couldn't afford wasting so much gas driving at high speeds. Then again, prices have dropped recently so this may no longer apply.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #1455
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Nachdem das Teilstück zwischen den Anschlussstellen Sickte und Cremlingen am 30. September 2006 für den Verkehr freigegeben wurde, ist derzeit noch das sieben Kilometer lange Teilstück zwischen der AS Cremlingen und dem AK Wolfsburg/Königslutter im Bau. Dieser Abschnitt soll am 12. Dezember 2008 fertiggestellt werden.
From Wikipedia.

On December 12th, the A39 near Braunschweig will be completed, so traffic from Berlin/Wolfsburg doesn't have to pass via the A391 to get to the Harz or Kassel. Which effectively means the Braunschweig beltway will be completed

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1456
-

Taken from here: Autobahn direction sign Ruhrpott (Ruhr area, also called Revier or Pott) - the Ruhrgebiet (...).

Does anyone know where this sign is located or could it be fake?

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1457
Timon91
Error

That's not the normal German font, I guess it's photoshopped, but of course I can be wrong.
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #1458
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's fake I think. It's not the usual DIN1451 font. The Autobahn pictorial is also too small.
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1459
thun

Definitely faked. On German signs there are never used other names than towns, especially if they aren't officially.
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #1460
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

If anyone wants DIN 1451 font, it's available for free download here: http://automatsvet.cz/traffic/
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau