daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1841
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I'd love to see maps of where these routes were planned to go, there are many little spurs and 'ghost ends' along the A100 across the southern part of Berlin. Obviously plans, including going back to the pre-WWII days, were far more extensive than what was eventually built.
No, none of these plans going back to the pre-WWII days; they're going back to the 1960ies.

Here's a map:

Source: http://autobahnatlas-online.de/Karte_e.htm
Legend: http://autobahnatlas-online.de/Legen...BauKarte_e.pdf
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1842
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Thank God those in central Berlin weren't build.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #1843
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRob View Post
No, none of these plans going back to the pre-WWII days; they're going back to the 1960ies.

Here's a map:

Thanx!

Am I correct in assuming that the entire A100 loop, where it is not already complete, is still in active planning? Also, assuming that it is completed, of the other 'unbuilts', IMHO, only the A11 looks like it would be really useful.

Am I also correct in assuming that the A25 running cross-country westward from the A10 is a dead proposal?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #1844
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

AFAIK the A25 was a never built alternative for the A24...
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM   #1845
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

I was poking around in the Trier/Bitburg/Prüm area (mostly in the Rheinland-Pfalz state) with Google Earth last night and have a bunch of questions. It is a fascinating area to explore with the high-res images.

-When is the 'super two' part of the A-60 between Prüm and the Belgian border expected to be upgraded to four lanes? (That section has got to be pretty nasty before and after F1 races at Spa )

-I note a 'ghost' end of the B51 'gelbe' autobahn at the B410 at Prüm and its grade is traceable for some distance to the southeast. Can I safely assume that any plans to complete that part are long dead? Was it planned to eventually feed directly into the B51 at the A60 closer to Bitburg?

-Whill the B51 ever be completed as a 'gelbe' autobahn all the way to the A1?

-Also, what, if any, are the plans for the 'ghost' end of the B-410 gelbe autobahn at the A60 just west of Prüm?

-What is the current completion schedule for the A1 in that area?

-What, if any, are the current upgrade plans for the B51 between Bitburg and Trier?

(BTW, Bitburger is available here in Appleton and I do *like* it! )

-What is the current schedule for completing the A64 between Trier and the A1? I note a very clear 'ghost' grade for the A1-A64 split just south of Föhren.

-What, if any, are the current plans for the roadway that is planned to extend off of the end of the A60 at the A1? Will it eventually feed directly into the B50 and be built to create a complete motorway to the A61?

-A bit farther north, I can see a need for upgrades to the B56 corridor between Düren and Zülpich. Any current plans?

Whew!

Mike
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #1846
convalescence

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

-When is the 'super two' part of the A-60 between Prüm and the Belgian border expected to be upgraded to four lanes? (That section has got to be pretty nasty before and after F1 races at Spa )
It probably won't ever upgraded, because there isn't so much traffic... only reason for that would be that there happen many accidents (especially in the 2+1 parts)

Quote:
-I note a 'ghost' end of the B51 'gelbe' autobahn at the B410 at Prüm and its grade is traceable for some distance to the southeast. Can I safely assume that any plans to complete that part are long dead? Was it planned to eventually feed directly into the B51 at the A60 closer to Bitburg?
Before A60 was planned, this B51 from Brühlborn (near Prüm) to Staffelstein (near Bitburg) has already started to be built! There are some bridges in the forest east of Rommersheim and Schönecken which have never been used! And also this bridge over B410 next to Brühlborn has been a useless bridge for 30 years or so....but there are works at the moment to let the b51 fade in B410 without same level crossings because this junction had many accidents!

Quote:
-Whill the B51 ever be completed as a 'gelbe' autobahn all the way to the A1?
Now it isn't a "gelbe Autobahn" except a small stretch near Stadtkyll! There are plans to upgrade it complete to 2+1 at the rest. This road takes all the traffic that should run over still not completed A1 Blankenheim-Daun so it probably won't be necessary in future any more.

Quote:
-Also, what, if any, are the plans for the 'ghost' end of the B-410 gelbe autobahn at the A60 just west of Prüm?
There I don't really know what they thought of.... for many years everybody had to drive over a bridge north of the junction to get to Schloßheck, Pronsfeld etc. although this road runs next to the dead end...some years ago a direct connection from Schloßheck to the junction was built...but not at the dead end...weird... (btw: this road is called "Milchstraße" due to a big creamery in the forest next to it and all trucks drive from/to there this road)...

Quote:
-What is the current completion schedule for the A1 in that area?
This process has taken too many decades now... till 2011 Daun (B257)-Kelberg(B410) shall be finished. but the most complicated part would be from AS Adenau to AS Lommersdorf due to a big bridge over Ahr valley.
there's a site which shows the current status of the project... it's german but has some images as well
http://www.lbm.rlp.de/Projekte_cms/A...chluss_a1.html

Quote:
-What, if any, are the current upgrade plans for the B51 between Bitburg and Trier?
THIS topic is at the moment one of the biggest regional discussions! Last year in june about 10 people (don't know exact number anymore) died during one month in various accidents that happened there...3 weeks ago again a 22 old woman died because a truck ran on her...
the discussions lead from banning all trucks from it (which would be nonsense in my opionion...) to upgrading it.... but it's only upgraded to 2+1 and this makes it so dangerous... there are so many speeders on that stretch you can't imagine...and short 2+1 lanes to overtake assist in that case....
my opinion is that the only sollution would be building a complete new motorway from A60-junction Bitburg to A64 Trier ! But even politicians talk about banning trucks from it... this road has the traffic amount of a motorway so it should be a motorway where rushing wouldn't be that dangerous than on a 2+1 road without median crashbarriers....

In the meantime I'm afraid of driving on that road - seriously !

Quote:
-What is the current schedule for completing the A64 between Trier and the A1? I note a very clear 'ghost' grade for the A1-A64 split just south of Föhren.
This stretch isn't in "Vordringlicher Bedarf" (important requirements) of the national traffic plannings (Bundesverkehrswegeplan) anymore...

Quote:
-What, if any, are the current plans for the roadway that is planned to extend off of the end of the A60 at the A1? Will it eventually feed directly into the B50 and be built to create a complete motorway to the A61?
Also a very controversial case in the region...from interchange Wittlich A60 will continue as B50n ("Gelbe autobahn") with a gigantic bridge (180m! - "Hochmoselübergang") over Mosel valley and lead to B50 near Longkamp. B50 from Flughafen Hahn to Rheinböllen (A61) is already almost finished as "Gelbe Autobahn"!
my opinion is that this project is so overdimensioned...the traffic amount won't ever justify such a huge bridge and I'm sure there have been alternatives.... but this project is politically wanted just like A60 bitburg-Wittlich. It was an agreement from Belgian and German government to build a new transversale from the Belgian ports to Rhein-Main-Area! (what a nonsense this is just shows a comparison of google-maps-road calculations of this way and the way over A4-A61/A3)
here a link to the project Hochmoselübergang:
http://www.volksfreund.de/storage/me...e-16-12-08.PDF

So my home region is a good example for stupid traffic plannings...A60 Bitburg-Wittlich should never been built in my opinion...and completing A1 Blankenheim-Daun would solve many traffic problems in the whole region!

(sorry for bad english)

Suburbanist liked this post
convalescence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #1847
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by convalescence View Post
(sorry for bad english)
Thanx!

BTW, don't worry, your English is a LOT better than my German!

Mike
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #1848
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

Photoalbum B2 Roth-A6-A73 Nurnberg /Furth
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w...B2%20A6%20A73/

2 Movies

A99 Tunnel Allach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQowPFKAQY

A95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmOozOWEW3Q
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1849
Kelaerkelaer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Directly east of the AD Neukölln will be build a 385m tunnel with 8-lanes:
[img]http://s5.************/2qmhidt.jpg[/img]
Kelaerkelaer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #1850
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Thanx!

BTW, don't worry, your English is a LOT better than my German!

Mike
One more question, what, if any, are the upgrade plans for the roads in the Karlsruhe-Saarbrücken (unbuilt A8) corridor? I would think that the B10 and B427 between them is a NASTY drive.

Mike
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #1851
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Sadly not planned.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1852
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Not necessary either... The current road is mostly okay, I've driven it from Landau/Pfalz to Annweiler/Trifels. Traffic volumes are rather low.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #1853
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:

Here's a map:

Wouldn't this be impossible to build given the...ahem...wall?
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1854
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The wall was constructed in the early 60's, maybe these plans just precede that.
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #1855
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Not necessary either... The current road is mostly okay, I've driven it from Landau/Pfalz to Annweiler/Trifels. Traffic volumes are rather low.
Traffic volumes on many motorways are low, but they are still necessary. I don't see a reason for not building this motorway. What's behind it?
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1856
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ecological reasons ofcourse. It's quite a scenic natural area over there (Pfälzer Wald)
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #1857
Verso
Islander

It didn't look overly scenic to me. It was nice though.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #1858
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

I don´t know for trafficvolue, but the B10 usually is a very busy road and the quality is very poor. 20+ years old asphalt all the way so it´s not a confortable ride at all. They rehabilitated some km between Plochingen and Esslingen, but only in direction Stuttgart, in direction east they didn´t do anything.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #1859
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We were talking about the B10 between Pirmasens and Landau, radi
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #1860
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A445 / A46 Werl - Bestwig (Sauerland)

I took these pictures in september 2007, I did an afternoon trip to the Sauerland area. My parents thought I was kinda crazy, driving back and forth to Sauerland (250km) in half a day, because we used to go on wintersport there. In the 90's, the A46 featured a gap around Arnsberg and Meschede, and one had to take congested surface streets to reach Brilon, sometimes we drove the A44 to Erwitte/Anröchte, and then continued south across more quiet roads.

By now, the A445/A46 Autobahn ensures a fast connection to the Sauerland, although the end of the motorway can be congested during winter weekends when half of the Ruhr area goes skiing here.

route:
[IMG]http://i41.************/nvayd5.png[/IMG]

1. Symbolic entrance to Sauerland on A445 to me.
image hosted on flickr

2. End of A445 (Werl - Neheim) and beginning of the A46. I doubt the A46 near Iserlohn will ever be extended to here...
image hosted on flickr

3. Exit Neheim-Süd
image hosted on flickr

4. The Sorpesee is one of the tourist attractions in the northern Sauerland.
image hosted on flickr

5. I believe we had to take this exit earlier, when the A46 had a gap.
image hosted on flickr

6. Arnsberg is a regional center
image hosted on flickr

7. Another arch bridge at the Arnsberg Ost-exit
image hosted on flickr

8. Nice view already, although the nicer parts of the Sauerland are off the Autobahn.
image hosted on flickr

9. One of the newer tunnels.
image hosted on flickr

10. This is the newest part of A46 I think.
image hosted on flickr

11. Freienohl exit, this is a minor one.
image hosted on flickr

12. Standard BBS
image hosted on flickr

13. Storm damage from hurricane Kyrill
image hosted on flickr

14. Almost clinched 300 meters here
image hosted on flickr

15. Another nice tunnel.
image hosted on flickr

16. Northern Sauerland view
image hosted on flickr

17. Another tunnel near the Wennenen exit
image hosted on flickr

18. Schmallenberg is further south, deeper into the Sauerland.
image hosted on flickr

19. Yes, through the 300m mark. This bridge altitude is only 1 meter lower than the highest point in NL
image hosted on flickr

20. Hennesee is also a artificial lake, as well as the Möhnesee nearby.
image hosted on flickr

21. Enste exit.
image hosted on flickr

22. Very simple exit sign, not more is needed
image hosted on flickr

23. Exit Meschede was closed at that time.
image hosted on flickr

24. More hurricane damage.
image hosted on flickr

25. Entire forests were flattened due to Kyrill.
image hosted on flickr

26. The A46 ends here. I think many residents of Bestwig wish to see the A46 bypass their town.
image hosted on flickr

27. Föckinghausen, sounds nice
image hosted on flickr

28. Daily view in Bestwig:
image hosted on flickr

29. The famous yellow signage
image hosted on flickr

30. Faded sign
image hosted on flickr

Tags
autobahn, baustelle, congestion, germany, highways, marode brücken, motorways, stau