daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #2041
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
widened by 0,75 cm
It is not quite much ;-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #2042
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
There is no plan for D2 widening afk, although there will be reconstruction going on. The R38 is not planned, although it would make sense for the EU transit maybe, though the number are not that high to justify 2x2.
When the Balkan states join the EU and as Romania and Bulgaria become better connected to Hungary, there will be a lot more traffic between Vienna and Prague.

Quote:
It is not really a widening. The only section to be widened to 3x3 is the bypass of Brno. The route Prague (Mirošovice) - Brno will be widened by 0,75 cm on each side to allow for 2x2 arrangement on one carriageway in the event of trafic closures. This widening is done first on one carriageway and then the traffic is moved to that carriageway, the other side will be also widened and will get a new surface. After that the first carriageway will get new surface as well.
I expect the 0.75m per carriageway to be noticeable and I'm looking forward to it.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2043
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
There is no plan for D2 widening afk, although there will be reconstruction going on. The R38 is not planned, although it would make sense for the EU transit maybe, though the number are not that high to justify 2x2. The major bypasses on I-38 are finished. The bypass in Znojmo is U/C and prep phase. The bypass in Želetava is in very premature prep phase (EIA).
Widening of D2 would be useless, but it desperately needs new surface.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #2044
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
When the Balkan states join the EU and as Romania and Bulgaria become better connected to Hungary, there will be a lot more traffic between Vienna and Prague.
Why do you think so? The only transit would be to the northern Germany and Scandinavia.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #2045
mcarling

Quote:
Why do you think so? The only transit would be to the northern Germany and Scandinavia.
I think it's not so clear. Right now, Google Maps routes Bucharest - Paris through Bratislava and Prague. That might not be the case though after the A94 in Germany will be complete.
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2046
Surel

Quote:
I think it's not so clear. Right now, Google Maps routes Bucharest - Paris through Bratislava and Prague. That might not be the case though after the A94 in Germany will be complete.
Well, if it routes through Bratislava, you don't need I/38 . Anyway the route from Vienna to Prague through I/38+D1 is some 40 km shorter than the D2+D1 route, is it enough to justify a upgrade to a expressway just because of transit traffic - you would save only some 20 minutes in total.
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #2047
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
That will last another 20 years...
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #2048
mcarling

Quote:
Well, if it routes through Bratislava, you don't need I/38 . Anyway the route from Vienna to Prague through I/38+D1 is some 40 km shorter than the D2+D1 route, is it enough to justify a upgrade to a expressway just because of transit traffic - you would save only some 20 minutes in total.
Google Maps routes it through Bratislava because currently there is no motorway route from Vienna to Prague (except through other countries).

A 40km savings, multiplied by the AADT, is a lot of primordial fuel savings and a lot of carbon pollution savings.

Also, upgrading Jihlava - Vienna to 2x2 would relieve some of the pressure to upgrade Jihlava Brno to 2x3. If the I38 will someday be upgraded to R38, then it might make sense to upgrade Prague - Jihlava to 2x3 long before upgrading Jihlava - Brno to 2x3.

The Prague - Jihlava - Vienna route is part of the E59 and Pan-European Corridor IV. Austria's ASFiNAG plan to upgrade the B303 to S3 all the way to the CZ border.
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #2049
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
I think it's not so clear. Right now, Google Maps routes Bucharest - Paris through Bratislava and Prague.
Google's playing stupid IMO. It's 70kms longer than the route via Vienna, Linz and Passau (which doesn't shake your teeth out by the way). Also, the vignettes for two countries rather than for one are required (10 days: ~22€ instead of 8€, 1 year: ~110/77,80€). Considering toll costs, yes, the route through CZ+SK should cost ~30€ less for a heavy truck, but then again, the extra 70 kms would amount to about the same in fuel costs.

Last edited by Bobek_Azbest; November 11th, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: toll added
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2050
Baiazid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1019

What is the status of the completion of the D8 gap between Lovosice and Rehlovice? Any estimated opening date? Also, is that 3 km strech arround Lovos hill already open? Thank you.

Last edited by Baiazid; November 11th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Baiazid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2051
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
What is the status of the completion of the D8 gap between Lovosice and Rehlovice? Any estimated opening date? Also, is that 3 km strech arround Lovos hill already open? Thank you.
ATM it seems that in the end of 2014 or first half of 2015 it could be opened. That 3 km strech Lovosice - Bílinka is opened. http://www.mapy.cz/s/5D8I
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2052
Baiazid
BANNED

Quote:
ATM it seems that in the end of 2014 or first half of 2015 it could be opened.
Wow! That late... Any idea why?
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #2053
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobek_Azbest View Post
Google's playing stupid IMO. It's 70kms longer than the route via Vienna, Linz and Passau (which doesn't shake your teeth out by the way).
You're right. That route will be yet another 15 or so km shorter when the German A94 will be completed.
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #2054
Surel

Quote:
Wow! That late... Any idea why?
Long term obstructions and legal appeals by the greenies allowed by the flimsy governmental handling of the planing, permissions etc processes. Construction was stopped, on and off for a long long time. Its just one big legal mess.

As of now the construction is going on. The interchanges of D8 and R63 needs to be built yet from the scratch requiring at least two more years.
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2055
Baiazid
BANNED

Quote:
Long term obstructions and legal appeals by the greenies allowed by the flimsy governmental handling of the planing, permissions etc processes. Construction was stopped, on and off for a long long time. Its just one big legal mess.
Ok, thank you for the info. In the past years I've travelled a lot between Bucharest and Dresden, so I was obviously using D8. And I always wondered why that gap still remains for so many years. I'm looking forward to see it open, as I'll resume my trips to Dresden next year.

Quote:
As of now the construction is going on. The interchanges of D8 and R63 needs to be built yet from the scratch requiring at least two more years.
Yeap. Nasty curve there...
Old November 11th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #2056
1+1=3

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
In the past years I've travelled a lot between Bucharest and Dresden, so I was obviously using D8.
Just wondering, why not to use more comfortable train? Or plane? It's some 1500 km...
1+1=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #2057
Baiazid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=3 View Post
Just wondering, why not to use more comfortable train? Or plane? It's some 1500 km...
Cause it's usually business round-trips. 4-5000 km in 4-5 days and several meetings in various locations, not necesary in the main cities. By plane it would take me at least double time and some thousands of EUR per trip. While the trip by train is like XIX-th century slow It takes some 30 hours from Bucharest to Dresden. I do the same trip by car in about 15 hours. Actually I think it will be faster next year, considering the many new motorway stretches to be opened in Romania on this way.

Last edited by Baiazid; November 12th, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2058
1+1=3

Likes (Received): 507

OK, thanks, that make sense then.
1+1=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2059
Surel

Nice autumn picture of the I/11 construction from Vladimir Carbol. Bridge over stream Kremlice. Gallery

Old November 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2060
Schnellstraße

Likes (Received): 0

I´m new here and that´s my first post. And I have the following question:
Next year a few highways in CZ will be renamed from Rx to Dx. (R10->D10).
Also the R1 becomes D1. What will happen with the origin D1 next year? What is its new name? Maybe D2 and the origin D2 into D20? I can´t find any further infmormation.
I read the renamings on the ADAC site.
Schnellstraße no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways