daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2361
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
How old is this section D-1 ?
Some 25 - 30 years.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #2362
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Roadtrip for this weekend: http://goo.gl/maps/Z67bT
I will explore some local roads in CZ
South Bohemia is really nice holiday place. Especially if you are into Chateaus. Its also an excellent place for biking. The driving might take longer than you would expect though on those roads.
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2363
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Some 25 - 30 years.

Holubice – Tučapy: km 211,034 – 219,999 (8,965 km) - 11. 11. 1988.

Tučapy – Vyškov: km 219,999 – 229,675 (9,675 km) - 30. 7. 1992

Source : http://www.ceskedalnice.cz/dalnice/d1
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2364
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

E55, Čestlice, Central Bohemian Region towards Prague by AceN (a SSC forum user)

image hosted on flickr

Welcome to Praha! by acencen, on Flickr
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #2365
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18305

Some pictures from my recent roadtrip from this section http://goo.gl/maps/B8STz

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #2366
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18305

Some more pictures of Czech roads from my trip

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2367
Surel

The RSD dismissed appeals of Eurovia and Strabag against the "dumping" prices offfered by Skanska in the tenders for D3 between Veselí and České Budějovice.

Eurovia and Strabag can yet turn for appeal to the Supreme Audit Office in the next days, causing further delays. Lets hope they don't.
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #2368
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

What do you mean??
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:34 AM   #2369
Surel

There was a tendering, Skanska won that tendering, but Eurovia and Strabag protested, saying that the price is too low and can't be real.
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2370
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

- There are any news about Blanka Tunnel?

- What is the matter with that tunnel? I read some articles in internet about the problems of this infraestructure. Is there no money to finish it?

This is an example of an article readed in internet:

http://www.eltis.org/index.php?ID1=5&id=60&news_id=4201

http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/zpravy/cze...-prague/984760
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2371
1+1=3

Likes (Received): 507

Blanka tunnel is a mess. It was started by corrupted mayor Bém in a pre-crisis years (that guy was planning even Olympic games in Prague...) together with other projects like metro A prolongation and 250 new trams. Nowadays Prague is drowning in debt because of these projects (other being sawage water treatment plant).
New mayor is trying to get it under control and promotes more rational city planning (including general traffic plan for the city which Prague doesn't have) but it seems like Prague will really have to stop all major investments for next years (new metro line and tram network expansion).
Regarding Blanka, it is nearly completed and should be opened next spring, but there's debate going on wheather it will protect historic center from the car traffic or it will make the situation even worse. The second option is more probable, because it will make car traffic more attractive and thus more people will use cars when traveling within and to the city.
Prague needs motorway outer ring and parking regulation in the city centre (optionally the toll) much more than this overpriced tunnel in the city centre.
1+1=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2372
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=3 View Post
The second option is more probable, because it will make car traffic more attractive and thus more people will use cars when traveling within and to the city.
That is a point often brought forward by public transport advocates, who think cars and public transport are significantly competing with each other. However, there is almost no competition between driving and public transport. Both have their own demographic and improvement in road infrastructure will not reduce transit usage, and improvements in public transport will not reduce driving.

Especially for trips towards the denser core, the availability and cost of parking is of a much larger influence than how good or bad public transport is. Growth in car travel is not at the expense of public transport, and growth in public transport usage is not at the expensive of car travel. Both have their own factors that influence usage.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Nordic20T liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2373
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is a point often brought forward by public transport advocates, who think cars and public transport are significantly competing with each other. However, there is almost no competition between driving and public transport. Both have their own demographic and improvement in road infrastructure will not reduce transit usage, and improvements in public transport will not reduce driving.

Especially for trips towards the denser core, the availability and cost of parking is of a much larger influence than how good or bad public transport is. Growth in car travel is not at the expense of public transport, and growth in public transport usage is not at the expensive of car travel. Both have their own factors that influence usage.
On a day-to-day decision-making basis, that's generally true. Once someone has made the decision to own a car, they will generally drive rather than use public transportation. However, the decision whether or not to own a car is greatly influenced by the quality (or lack thereof) of public transportation. So the effects of improvements in public transportation infrastructure on driving take effect with a delay that is spread out from zero to many years. Young people in cities generally rely on public transportation before they are old enough to drive. Where public transportation is excellent, many never buy a car. Where public transportation is dreadful, nearly everyone buys a car as soon as they can afford to.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2374
i15

Likes (Received): 613

I own a car, but I like to use public transport, because I don't need to care about parking, small accidents or alcohol level from previous night. I had pretty good parking in my previous workplace (plenty of space, 0,1 €/hour), so i used car every second day, but now I move mostly by public transport or on my own feet and I enjoy driving on long distances.
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 01:56 AM   #2375
1+1=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Especially for trips towards the denser core, the availability and cost of parking is of a much larger influence than how good or bad public transport is.
Parking in Prague centre is a problem in terms there are too many parking lots on the streets and even more parking permissions for residents and commuters. More parking spaces are under construction in new developemnt projects in the city centre and even near Blanka tunnel (there's no specified maximum for parking spaces in the city centre in Prague, unlike Zürich for example).
However, the tunnel will make travelling by car near city centre faster and more fluent and for the same or less money => it will make traveling by car more attractive. That's the fact. It can change modal split in the long term too.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2376
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=3 View Post
Parking in Prague centre is a problem in terms there are too many parking lots on the streets and even more parking permissions for residents and commuters. More parking spaces are under construction in new developemnt projects in the city centre and even near Blanka tunnel (there's no specified maximum for parking spaces in the city centre in Prague, unlike Zürich for example).
However, the tunnel will make travelling by car near city centre faster and more fluent and for the same or less money => it will make traveling by car more attractive. That's the fact. It can change modal split in the long term too.
If the parking places in the Blanka tunnel will be used, then you don't get any problems from the increased car traffic in the center...

I think that it will simply relieve some streets in Prague, as the through cars will move to Blanka, in some other parts, it may increase the car flow and thus fill the streets there.

Unlike Chris, I think there is a competition between car and pt. If the PT offers better and cheaper service on the spot for your purposes, its rational to use the public transit, even if one already owns a car. The point is that direct cost of PT in Prague is getting relatively comparably expensive to the car and indeed with commercial districts having its own parking possibilities without costs for the employees, the car is preferred for the commuting (suburb - city). PT is able to compete with Metro, or if someone can use a direct tram line.

On the other side, PT is still the best and fastest way of how to move inside the city. Taxi is an alternative - you don't need to bother with parking. Parking makes traveling with a car inside the city bothersome.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #2377
Autobahnftw

Likes (Received): 7

Hello, when is east part of prag ringroad going to be finished? What is the best way today to get from D8 to D1?
Autobahnftw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2378
1+1=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
If the parking places in the Blanka tunnel will be used, then you don't get any problems from the increased car traffic in the center...
There will be 1200 more parking spaces (Letná and Prašný most) in the wider city centre after Blanka is completed. None of parking spaces in the centre will be abolished because of that. So the total number of parking spaces in the centre will increase. Hundreds more are being built in Florentinum and Quadrio. Again, it's just increasing the parking capacity in the city centre. That means more people will use car when commuting to work => more pollution and traffic jams in the streets. Blanka will only make commuting by car more easier.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2379
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

And improved mobility options is bad, because?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2380
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahnftw View Post
Hello, when is east part of prag ringroad going to be finished? What is the best way today to get from D8 to D1?
No one knows.

Look here. http://www.mapy.cz/s/8wV7 If you prefer no traffic lights, but longer, you chose the eastern variant, if you don't mind lights, and bit of city traffic, you chose western variant. The time is around the same.

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways