daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #2581
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

See http://www.motorway.cz/expressways#r35 , the route is described there...

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:54 PM   #2582
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

Are there any plans to make the I/35 from Liberec to Bily Kostel nad Nisou to the R35?
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:25 PM   #2583
Ministerský rada

Take a look at the post #2579, it's written there...
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #2584
m_rocco

Likes (Received): 11

Does anyone know if in A/CZ border crossing in Mikulov is possible to buy CZ sticker in Euro and without charges? Last year I bought it in petrol station on A5 and only then i discovered that i paid more than a monthly sticker for a 10 day sticker. Thanks everybody
m_rocco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #2585
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rocco View Post
Does anyone know if in A/CZ border crossing in Mikulov is possible to buy CZ sticker in Euro and without charges? Last year I bought it in petrol station on A5 and only then i discovered that i paid more than a monthly sticker for a 10 day sticker. Thanks everybody
It should be possible to buy it at the petrol stations in CZ. If you pay with card, you don't have to worry about Euros.

Just one advice. If paying with a card abroad (credit, or debit), make sure that you pay in the currency of that given country. Many times, the companies try to make the payment in the currency of your country (e.g. if you have German account, they offer you to pay in Euros). Those companies then set their own exchange rate which is much less favorable than the exchange rate that would be used by your bank or card organisation (Visa or Mastercard).

E.g. when paying gas in Poland, I paid with a Dutch debit card. They ask you if you want to pay in Euros (sometimes they don't even ask that, sometimes you don't even see the currency on the display before entering PIN), and if you say yes, they charge you in Euros, but using their special exchange rate of 2.5 Zloty per Euro, while the market rate is 4 Zloty per Euro but using unfavorable exchange rate. The exchange is done by special company, and your bank has no say in it. You need to demand to pay in the currency of the country you are in, and the exchange rate will be set by your bank or by the card company, and it will be around the market exchange rate, because that is what is in your terms and conditions with your bank.

I forgot about this trick and had to remember it the hard way when looking at the bill. The full tank became 10 Euro more expensive than if bought in Germany, this just because of the exchange rate trick.

It is simple. You just need to remember. When paying with a card, demand paying in the currency of the country you are in. That is when you will buy anything in the CZ check the display and/or demand that you payment is done in CZK.

Last edited by Surel; June 10th, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2586
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

In Mikulov you got 2 shell`s petrol stations, maybe there, but why won`t you pay by debit/credit card? On the border you got some "boxes" where, for sure, you can pay in euro but I suppose they take extra charges.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #2587
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rocco View Post
If it's at Mikulov, just change money into CZK (there are at least two exchange places from memory there...) and then buy the vignette. You can do both transactions in the same place in Mikoluv, right at the old Czech checkpoint.

I don't remember if the Shell garage in Mikoluv accepts Euro, but I suspect not - fuel is cheaper in Austria than in the Czech Republic...

Surel - I've never heard of the rate being set so low. I suspect that the petrol station had set some ridiculous exchange rate for Euro transactions and deliberately got you to accept paying in Euro rather than PLN. If they were using such a rate, then you must surely have filled up at one of the no-name petrol stations rather than a mainstream one.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #2588
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
That is when you will buy anything in the CZ check the display and/or demand that you payment is done in CZK.
I almost got burnt by this one a couple times. It is theoretically nice since some credit cards charge a supplemental surcharge (like 2.5% on top of the Mastercard exchange) but then I looked at the actual numbers before pressing button, holy shit no no no no

The worst was always they wanted me to pay in Euros. Well what the hell good is it for me to pay euros

Anyway I have been offered that thing several times in Polish gas stations, Orlen, Statoil... but always the exchange that it offered was bad really bad.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #2589
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Surel - I've never heard of the rate being set so low. I suspect that the petrol station had set some ridiculous exchange rate for Euro transactions and deliberately got you to accept paying in Euro rather than PLN. If they were using such a rate, then you must surely have filled up at one of the no-name petrol stations rather than a mainstream one.
It is a common practice how to rob foreign tourists because they don't know the exchange rate and they get to see the amount in euros without realizing they are paying too much. The brand of the petrol station does not really matter.

The same happens at tourist places, restaurants, even some museums.
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #2590
m_rocco

Likes (Received): 11

Thanks eveyone! Even with credit card i had problems some years ago. An ATM in Poland (with rechargeable credit card charged with euros), the exchange rate was 3.80 PLN for 1€ while in Kantor was 4.20! For 100€ was stolen about 10 for exchange... But we're going now on economical topics thanks a lot for informations
m_rocco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #2591
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

It is not usually that bad. I'm occasionally offered option of payment in GBP while visiting Poland and rate is usually OK. Nothing extraordinary.

Surel's story sounds to me like some particularly dodgy operation, some local scam.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #2592
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
It is a common practice how to rob foreign tourists because they don't know the exchange rate and they get to see the amount in euros without realizing they are paying too much. The brand of the petrol station does not really matter.
It's not really robbery, because some people pay a fortune for transaction in a foreign currency. I met one Spanish guy who was charged (for example) 5 Euro for non-Euro transactions. For him, DCC makes perfect sense.

As for not knowing the exchange rate, isn't it their problem? I don't go to the Czech Republic or the Eurozone without knowing the exchange rate.

In your case, such an extreme exchange rate very much suggests that it was a dodgy small operation that was playing on you being a foreigner rather than routine practice. With DCC, it's normal to see the rate loaded by 5% or so over the interbank rate.

Incidentally, I've never seen a pin pad terminal in Poland that didn't display the amount. If this one really didn't display it (some of them rotate between PIN and the amount) - then Surel was almost certainly a victim of a local scam in a no-name petrol station.

Quote:
The same happens at tourist places, restaurants, even some museums.
It's not really robbery, because you're paying for the convenience of using Euro rather than PLN. Cash is a nuisance to handle, even more so in a foreign currency.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #2593
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Surel's story sounds to me like some particularly dodgy operation, some local scam.
I could post you scans of the bills, Lotos, PKN Orlen, not sure if BP as well. Would you consider Wieliczka mines local scam?

This is one of the providers: http://www.eservice.com.pl/poznaj-na...about-company/

Last edited by Surel; June 10th, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #2594
Surel

Quote:
It's not really robbery, because some people pay a fortune for transaction in a foreign currency. I met one Spanish guy who was charged (for example) 5 Euro for non-Euro transactions. For him, DCC makes perfect sense.

As for not knowing the exchange rate, isn't it their problem? I don't go to the Czech Republic or the Eurozone without knowing the exchange rate.

In your case, such an extreme exchange rate very much suggests that it was a dodgy small operation that was playing on you being a foreigner rather than routine practice. With DCC, it's normal to see the rate loaded by 5% or so over the interbank rate.

Incidentally, I've never seen a pin pad terminal in Poland that didn't display the amount. If this one really didn't display it (some of them rotate between PIN and the amount) - then Surel was almost certainly a victim of a local scam in a no-name petrol station.
As I said, the exchange companies do it hand in hand with the operators and they share the profit. The clerks know very well about this, because they mostly ask you: Would you like to pay in Euros? They are very well aware of what they are doing.

Another thing that I notice that when paying in CZ or PL, sometimes they take the card and put it in the terminal and I just get to press the pin in. This is exactly the moment when they can make the choice to pay in Euros for you, because normally you see on the terminal first the choice whether you want to pay in Euros or in the local currency. In this way, you don't get to see the amount on the terminal, just on the cash machine. The amount on the cash machine is in local currency, and the amount in Euros comes out on the bill. But then it is too late to do anything about it. Also, on the bill you can often read a legal notice about how your choice to pay in euros is final and that you made that choice freely...

It is no local scheme, it is simple financial business. The scheme is that the clerks help it happen, because their share the profit with the exchange company.

Yes, a difference of few percents in the rate for the convenience of paying in your home currency would not be a problem, or a fixed fee either. But we are talking about 30-40 % different exchange rate here. Funny enough, they charge also the fixed fee over it...

Quote:
It's not really robbery, because you're paying for the convenience of using Euro rather than PLN. Cash is a nuisance to handle, even more so in a foreign currency.
On your side it doesn't make a difference if paying in Euros or in local currency with a card. There is nothing convenient about it. It is not about paying with cash or with card. It is about two ways how you can pay with your card and the seller deliberately tries to fool you into unfavorable exchange rate.

idnaidna liked this post

Last edited by Surel; June 10th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2595
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

When visiting non-euro countries, I always get some cash in the local currency. Seems to save some trouble.

Of course then a different question rises - where to change the money. When in Finland I usually use Forex.
Old June 10th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #2596
Surel

Quote:

You are right and I made an idiot of myself with so low rate.
The difference is indeed not so big as I was suggesting. I realized that I read the exchange rate wrongly. It was 0.25 PLN/EUR not 2.5 EUR/PLN. So they earned some 5 percent, plus the fee. Anyway, the conclusion is still valid. It is better to pay in local currency for most card holders.
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #2597
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

Quote:
I could post you scans of the bills, Lotos, PKN Orlen, not sure if BP as well. Would you consider Wieliczka mines local scam?

This is one of the providers: http://www.eservice.com.pl/poznaj-na...about-company/
As I said, I had different experiences. In Katowice airport or on the Statoil petrol station the exchange rate was marginally worse, nothing like 30 or 40% you mention.
In that case someone is really taking a piss at your cost.

And of course your advise is valid. It always pays to pay attention to how much you really pay (no pun intended )
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #2598
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
As I said, the exchange companies do it hand in hand with the operators and they share the profit. The clerks know very well about this, because they mostly ask you: Would you like to pay in Euros? They are very well aware of what they are doing.

Another thing that I notice that when paying in CZ or PL, sometimes they take the card and put it in the terminal and I just get to press the pin in. This is exactly the moment when they can make the choice to pay in Euros for you, because normally you see on the terminal first the choice whether you want to pay in Euros or in the local currency. In this way, you don't get to see the amount on the terminal, just on the cash machine. The amount on the cash machine is in local currency, and the amount in Euros comes out on the bill. But then it is too late to do anything about it. Also, on the bill you can often read a legal notice about how your choice to pay in euros is final and that you made that choice freely...

It is no local scheme, it is simple financial business. The scheme is that the clerks help it happen, because their share the profit with the exchange company.

Yes, a difference of few percents in the rate for the convenience of paying in your home currency would not be a problem, or a fixed fee either. But we are talking about 30-40 % different exchange rate here. Funny enough, they charge also the fixed fee over it...

On your side it doesn't make a difference if paying in Euros or in local currency with a card. There is nothing convenient about it. It is not about paying with cash or with card. It is about two ways how you can pay with your card and the seller deliberately tries to fool you into unfavorable exchange rate.
In Poland, they are always asking me if I want to pay in PLN or EUR
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #2599
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

R56 Frýdek-Místek

Is the R56 connection to R48 still planned to be U/C in June 2014?

http://www.rsd.cz/catalog/Stavime-pro-vas/Prehled-staveb/rychlostni-silnice-r56-frydekmistek-pripojeni-na-r48/$file/r56-fm-pripojeni-r48.pdf
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #2600
Ministerský rada

No, it is not. The tender procedure has not been started yet - it is likely to be tendered together with R48 Frýdek-Místek bypass.

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways