daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #2881
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What happens with the funding nowadays? There are far less projects going on today than was anticipated in 2008 or so.
It is not problem with the funding. The funds go back to the state budget. They simply don't have projects ready. Another thing is that CZ will have to return some funds to the EU, because it simply did not prepare the projects on time to use the money for them. Another variant is that CZ is trying to roll those funding over to the next period, but there is no development.

Just look at the map that was posted by Mapman. The R49 is marked there as under construction. But it is on hold already 5 years I think.

Yes, originally it was stopped, because there was no funding. But that is not the issue anymore. It is not under construction because the permits are not anymore valid. The whole road construction market and tenders were very nontransparent. The RSD could have been seen as one of the most corrupt institutions in the country.

Those things changed partly. I would say that the tendering got more transparent these days. But the efficiency is not better. There is also not that much changed concerning the permits. The whole administrative process of getting permit decisions is terribly complicated and can get stopped and projects get scrapped quite easily. There are also issues with regional authorities doing poor job in creating their spatial plans.

We could illustrate this on the land expropriation. This was a nontransparent region. Land changed owners just before the planning for a motorway was set. The character of land was important as well. The state had to pay the price for the farm land as if it was a construction land. This changed and now the land is priced according to its type. But the price dropped dramatically which made people not willing to sell. Expropriation was troublesome taking years. Then the law needed to change again, allowing for buying the land for higher prices. So within few years you had two changes of the law, that were both not really optimal and that are still not addressing all the issues, as the expropriation is still not that simple process.

Last edited by Surel; December 28th, 2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: some gr
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #2882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I see. In the Netherlands, major road projects are not funded from the general budget on a year-to-year basis, but these funds are set aside and available in its entirety as soon as construction begins. This prevents projects from getting stalled if the budget for that year is used up. It's called the 'infrastructure fund' and is a separate entity within the general budget. If funds are not used, it stays within the infrastructure fund for the next year or another project.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #2883
Surel

This is the budget planning of SFDI (State fund of the transportation infrastructure). In this table are all approved government subsidies to the SFDI. Those are the funds that the government promised to finance, for all projects, road, rail, water. This is apart from the own income of the fund from other sources.

Here are the annual reports of SFDI: http://www.sfdi.cz/poskytovani-infor...cetni-zaverky/

You can see that out of available CZK 44.4 bln (€ 1.6 bln) from the governent subsidies. Only some CZK 23.3 bln (€ 0.86 bln) were used. This is not because there would not be the funds, but because the projects were not ready, so the funds could have not been used.

This is the total planned budget income side (water, rail, road). The second column is the important part. It is called adjusted budget and shows the planned incomes from tolls etc, and the governmental subsidies to the fund. The third column is the usage of the subsidy or the realized income from that given source. You can see that the realized budget was only 70 % of the available/planned funds. While the performance of the incomes from the toll were even above 100 %. Simply put. The available funds from the state budget were not used because of lack of prepared and tendered projects.

Old December 28th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2884
jtybinka

Likes (Received): 57

When I compared EU available fund the old perspective untill 2013
I was surprised for Czech Republic it was alocated even more
then for Poland , when I counted per population.
But it seems that Poland is using them much more.
jtybinka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #2885
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I see. In the Netherlands, major road projects are not funded from the general budget on a year-to-year basis, but these funds are set aside and available in its entirety as soon as construction begins. This prevents projects from getting stalled if the budget for that year is used up. It's called the 'infrastructure fund' and is a separate entity within the general budget. If funds are not used, it stays within the infrastructure fund for the next year or another project.
I am quite sure that the whole structure and axis Ministry - > SFDI (fund) -> RSD (directorate) would need some change.

The problem with giving the funds to the SFDI for good would be that it would become very rich institution with not so much transparency. Another point is that the government doesn't want to give those funds away from its own accounts. Perhaps this could be solved by SFDI having virtual accounts. Otherwise it would have to operate on the market and it would become more of a financial institution. Another possibility is to get rid of the SFDI completely, but what about all those other infrastructure projects that are not done by the RSD (directorate) and SZDC (rail operator). It has certain role also for smaller projects.

I think that first of all the whole process of planing, permits, design would need to be streamlined in such a way, that once a project preparations would be finalized, it would be very unlikely that it would not be constructed. This should be a imperative. I am not sure how do they do it in Poland, but I would look there if I were to streamline it.
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2886
jtybinka

In Poland in one country GDDKiA was able to manage motorway/road projects very well but PLK which is responsible for railway tracks was not able to prepare projects and we were afraid that EU money will be lost.
So one country , same law , same procedures but completely differnt results of GDDKiA job and PLK job. They even wanted to move EU funds from railways to roads to not loose them.
Last years they are trying to bring PLK to the same level as GDDKiA , there is lot of improvement but stil many isues
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #2887
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Just a small point about the mess in the Czech Republic. I drove from Wrocław to Harrachov today, and the DK3 in Poland was completely clear the whole way. No issues with any ice or snow on the road, they were out treating the road and it couldn't have been any better, despite temperatures of -13c at some points. At the border, things went downhill. The I/10 was an ugly mess - snow everywhere, untreated road and in general, utterly unwelcoming. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Czech Republic simply doesn't know what to do with roads.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #2888
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Czech Republic simply doesn't know what to do with roads.
It may seem so but the respective ordinary people at RSD or ministry know very well what to do. The problem is that there have been 10 ministers in 6 years and very similar number of RSD directors - that said with the emphasis on changes in other managing posts leads to the fact that long-term strategic planning is impossible (I'm talking about ensuring the winter service on primary roads too - there is a transiton process ongoing). Since November 2014 Czech MoT has a very capable manager on the minister-seat and RSD is now led by one of its former employees that grew in this company, rose from lower to upper management and might be the right person to stabilize the organisation. We'll see next year what this dynamic duo will bring Expectations are finally very high!

Last edited by mapman:cz; December 29th, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
mapman:cz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #2889
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
It may seem so but the respective ordinary people at RSD or ministry know very well what to do. The problem is that there have been 10 ministers in 6 years and very similar number of RSD directors - that said with the emphasis on changes in other managing posts leads to the fact that long-term strategic planning is impossible (I'm talking about ensuring tha winter service on primary roads too - there is a transiton process ongoing). Since November 2014 Czech MoT has a very capable manager on the minister-seat and RSD is now lead by one of its former employees that grew in this company, rose from lower to upper management and might be the right person to stabilize the organisation. We'll see next year what this dynamic duo will bring Expectations are finally very high!
I hope it brings positive results! I'm very fond of the Czech Republic as a country, even if my comprehension of the language seems to vary between very little to quite a lot depending on the place! Speaking of the I/10 - every single time I visit Harrachov, the police are waiting on the entrance to Harrachov and conducting border controls.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #2890
jtybinka

Quote:
........ The I/10 was an ugly mess - snow everywhere, untreated road and in general, utterly unwelcoming. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the Czech Republic simply doesn't know what to do with roads.
You can`t say this after driving 15 km. I wouldn`t say this even afert driving 3000 km.
I was driving many thousads kilometres through Nachod , Hradec Kralove , Svitavy, Opava, Lanskroun , Ostrava , Praha , Ceske Budejovice
Liberec, Brno, Olomouc many many different roads - tell me where I didn`t go....................
As always in most countries some sections are cool , some good , some worse , some bad so you can`t say RSD doing this bad or this good, especially after driving 15 km.
The more you drive the less you can say because the picture starts to be so complex with many shadows of colours - not white/black
What`s only sure is that RSD is not using EU budgets as much as they could like GDDKiA or even better NDS which is actually building 8 tunnels (D1 - 5 , D3 - 3)

Last edited by jtybinka; December 29th, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2891
Surel

This beast has to be replaced from its habitat to some other place so that R49 can get the permits.

http://www.novinky.cz/domaci/357532-...a-miliony.html

RSD opened a tender for Monitoring of Common Hamster (Critertus cricetus) which is protected in CZ. The tender price tag is € 72 000.

The study should, among other, decide how to capture around 30 hamsters and replace them.

Last edited by Surel; December 31st, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:52 PM   #2892
bewu1

Likes (Received): 2082

In Poland, the eastern Warsaw bypass was blocked by a 13 cm long fish called Strzebla błotna (population of appr. 1,200)
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:17 PM   #2893
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I can understand if it is endangered species, but it's "common" hamster, surely this one is not endangered (or if so, we should change name to uncommon hamster )

I also wonder where I can submit my tender to RSD, for 72 k EUR I will happily spend some time with a net in the field and catch the hamsters

Gubot liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 01:49 AM   #2894
Eulanthe

I wouldn't be so hard on RSD over the hamster. I'm not sure about CZ, but I know that it's critically endangered in some European countries.

Quote:
You can`t say this after driving 15 km. I wouldn`t say this even afert driving 3000 km.
Well, I drive quite a lot in CZ on motorways and major routes - and I'm just absolutely underwhelmed the country's roads. Sometimes, it can be fine - for instance, the PL/CZ border on the D1 to Olomouc is fine. But in other cases, it is diabolical - the junctions on the R35/R46 come to mind.

Then there's the lack of very simple improvements that really should be made to sort things out. I've said it before, but the R35 roundabout junction in Olomouc is an absolute disgrace. What would it cost to build two bridges and a bit of road to eliminate that roundabout? And yet, a few kilometres away, there's the monster of the R35/R46 junction that is way, way overengineered.

The worst thing is that some things are done astonishingly well - I think the Czech Republic is actually better than Poland when it comes to getting small bypasses built, such as the new bypasses on the I/44 after Mohelnice.

But in general, the state of the roads leaves a lot to be desired. And, Czechs, please, please consider a proper sign for entering and leaving a 50km/h zone.
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM   #2895
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
I wouldn't be so hard on RSD over the hamster. I'm not sure about CZ, but I know that it's critically endangered in some European countries.
The Habitats Directive is a EU directive. Many German projects were delayed by common hamster populations.........
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:15 PM   #2896
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I can understand if it is endangered species, but it's "common" hamster, surely this one is not endangered (or if so, we should change name to uncommon hamster )

I also wonder where I can submit my tender to RSD, for 72 k EUR I will happily spend some time with a net in the field and catch the hamsters
It is endangered.

I thought about how much can a hamster cost. If you could buy one for € 1 k then you are left with a net profit of € 42 k .

I understand that these things have to be done, but sometimes these things get funny.

Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by Surel; January 2nd, 2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Phone typing
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:39 PM   #2897
jtybinka

Quote:

Then there's the lack of very simple improvements that really should be made to sort
Agree with most of your comments.
I would add signs , I don`t know why they change destination town , you go to Usti n Orlici from Svitavy and signs show you Usti all the time , you didn`t reach Usti yet and they change signs for Rychnov , then they change for Vamberk and then on roundabout you don`t know where to go becasue signs show only Vamberk if you drive and can`t look at map it`s problem.
I experienced this often
I heard from some experienced Czech driver - if you drive in CZ you need to look
at road number , in this case it`s 14

Bypasses , I have same feeling like in Poland , many towns miss bypasses , Opava , Krnov , Svitavy , Usti , Nachod, Frydek Trutnov and many other ...............
it`s easier for me to remind town without bypass then with bypass
I know my opinion is not objective because I saw only a part of very big picture

mcarling liked this post

Last edited by jtybinka; January 1st, 2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:48 PM   #2898
Eulanthe

Don't even get me started on Czech signage.

Motorways and expressways are wonderful, I won't say a bad word about them. They're clear, to the point and all in all - fine.

But on normal I/II class roads? It's a disaster. Those tiny signs at junctions are diabolical, and the advance signage is poor and badly thought out. For me, the worst thing is the lack of big signs on roundabouts - I've found myself lost on several occasions simply because the signs are too small to read.
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:01 PM   #2899
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I've sometimes gone five or six times around a roundabout trying to figure out which exit I need -- and then still gotten it wrong, despite having studied a map in advance.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:39 PM   #2900
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17459

Quote:
But on normal I/II class roads? It's a disaster. Those tiny signs at junctions are diabolical, and the advance signage is poor and badly thought out. For me, the worst thing is the lack of big signs on roundabouts - I've found myself lost on several occasions simply because the signs are too small to read.
Nowadays singage on normal I/II class roads is much better than it was even 20 years ago

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways