daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #3441
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

How is prumyslova in the daytime traffic? Is it still the best link to take from D8 to D1
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #3442
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

I think that's just Google Maps showing the traffic situation

gr_kanev, belerophon liked this post
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #3443
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
I think that's just Google Maps showing the traffic situation

Which likely correlates with non-grade-separation....
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #3444
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal20a View Post
I have heard that the construction of the short section D11 near Hradec Kralove is stopped due to money problems. Is that right??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal20a View Post
Are the works stopped on the D11?
This is definitely, I mean definitely, not true. The works were delayed for several years because RSD (the investor) was unable to expropriate land near Kukleny intersection from a stubborn farmer, however these problems have been overcome and the works are, albeit slowly (a defensive schedule in the contract), nearing completion.

Latest pictures

Latest infoleaflet

Opening is now scheduled to 08/2017 and frankly there's not much pressure to speed it up as the section can be easily bypassed via D35 and I/37, and the following section is scheduled to open in 2020.

And btw, as a matter of fact: there is no instance of any delays due to lack of funds in motorway construction in the Czech republic I was aware of. All delays and the general slow pace of construction is due to obstacles during approval process. Be that NIMBY, environmentalists, land owners or, most recently, the EU regulation which voided the previously gained EIA approvals for many infrastructure projects which now have to be started from scratch (the commission is generally quite harshly road unfriendly but that's another story). Actually due to all this, there's in fact an excess of funds for road infrastructure projects, which have to be dispatched elsewhere, mostly railroad projects.

Last edited by HiRazor; June 16th, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #3445
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Do not feed the troll

mcarling liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:04 PM   #3446
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

del double
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:05 PM   #3447
Surel

D3 Borek - Usilné, September 2015

D3 Borek - Usilné, June 2016

courtesy: Sudr https://www.zonerama.com/sudr
Old June 30th, 2016, 03:34 AM   #3448
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I guess this has been asked many times, but I'll still ask: why don't the Czech Republic and Austria build a motorway from Brno to Vienna via Břeclav instead of Mikulov? Czechia will have two almost parallel motorways.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #3449
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I guess this has been asked many times, but I'll still ask: why don't the Czech Republic and Austria build a motorway from Brno to Vienna via Břeclav instead of Mikulov? Czechia will have two almost parallel motorways.
The main reason is that via Mikulov the trip is 134 km but via Břeclav the trip is 145 km. If they were to build a motorway via Břeclav, enough drivers would still choose the shorter route to defeat the purpose. Also the additional pollution from thousands of drivers per day driving an extra 11 kilometers adds up to a lot of pollution. Another reason is that the D2 between Brno and Břeclav would then need to be widened from 2x2 to 2x3.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #3450
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The main reason is that via Mikulov the trip is 134 km but via Břeclav the trip is 145 km.
SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Quote:
Another reason is that the D2 between Brno and Břeclav would then need to be widened from 2x2 to 2x3.
It will be very good in the future perspective.
The third reason is, there was no agreement to make a motorway there, but through Mikulov

Anyway, I think the section will be constructed somewhere in 2030+
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #3451
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!
11 km is a huge difference when multiplied by thousands of trips per day. That's billions of kilometers of extra travel over the life of the road. It's big enough to affect annual death tolls, among other things.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #3452
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
The main reason is that via Mikulov the trip is 134 km but via Břeclav the trip is 145 km. If they were to build a motorway via Břeclav, enough drivers would still choose the shorter route to defeat the purpose. Also the additional pollution from thousands of drivers per day driving an extra 11 kilometers adds up to a lot of pollution. Another reason is that the D2 between Brno and Břeclav would then need to be widened from 2x2 to 2x3.
Also D52 already exists, Mikulov is not that small town and deserves connection to motorway, main route exists there and enables construction of a future motorway in phases. You need to connect proper to Austrian A5. So there are many valid reasons to have a motorway near Mikulov.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #3453
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1173

A few more reasons/arguments, without any claim to unveil the real motivation...

- Austria decided to not build a motorway towards Breclav, but rather along the currently used transit corridor. I think one reason for that could be the need for a Poysdorf bypass, even if there is a motorway connection towards Brno via Breclav. With the alignment currently being built, the bypass is properly achieved.
Location of Poysdorf: (https://www.google.at/maps/@48.66703...01,14.5z?hl=de)

- I don't know what the discussions where in Czech republic, but the area around Breclav is in the wetlands of the Thaya/Dyje river, which is part of a Natura 2000 habitat (together with March/Morava). Of course, that is not necessarily easier than the lakes around Nové Mlýny, but it is also not an easy route to build a motorway through. On the plus side, that would provide a kind-of bypass of Breclav, and I am honestly not sure that Mikulov is big enough to justify a motorway connection...

- The difference between the motorway route to be built in total (of course, the route alignment via Breclav is hypothetical..) is not that big, even though the major share of additional length is to be built by the Czechs:
-- Via Drasenhofen/Mikulov: ~55km, of which maybe ~32km in Austria
-- Via Breclav: ~41km, of which maybe ~29km in Austria

ChrisZwolle, ukraroad, Verso liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; June 30th, 2016 at 04:46 PM.
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #3454
Surel

The problematic projects with old EIA got an exception from the EU commission and can be tendered with the old EIA. The ten most important projects received the exception. We are talking about some 50 bln CZK worth of projects that should be launched shortly.

http://m.ihned.cz/c1-65352460-ceska-...ce-i-zeleznice

Luki_SL, mcarling liked this post
Old June 30th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #3455
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

CZ really needs to update its EIA legislation. Apparently they already had to introduce new legislation by 2006 (!) and it's still not done.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release....htm?locale=en

Perhaps this is a major factor why so few post EU accession motorways were built compared to other countries. As we noted before on the ŘSD project files, there has been a massive amount of projects delayed by years or even a decade since 2010. They planned to start construction on many projects but most of it hasn't entered the construction phase yet. It could also explain why there were so many hurdles to get D8 completed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #3456
patakcze

Likes (Received): 136

Probably the worst segment of D35 is finally being reconstructed google maps

Western carriageway:

rudiwien, gr_kanev, Godius liked this post
patakcze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #3457
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
CZ really needs to update its EIA legislation. Apparently they already had to introduce new legislation by 2006 (!) and it's still not done.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release....htm?locale=en

Perhaps this is a major factor why so few post EU accession motorways were built compared to other countries. As we noted before on the ŘSD project files, there has been a massive amount of projects delayed by years or even a decade since 2010. They planned to start construction on many projects but most of it hasn't entered the construction phase yet. It could also explain why there were so many hurdles to get D8 completed.
The EIA laws have been changed already. The problem was that the old projects were approved according to the old EIA laws. When the new law was introduced the EU required the projects to be approved anew, which is quite crazy tbh. I am quite sure that Brexit made Juncker go easy on Prague as otherwise this would be yet another reason for the Czechs to dislike Brussels.

The EIA is really not the problem. The whole bureaucracy and paperwork is one big mess although it is getting a tad better in the last years.

The main cause of this is the fact that a) all the laws are not optimal, but that would not be that bad b) the main problem remains that all the state employees are terribly underpaid and there is too few of them. When those employees have responsibility for billions and receive salaries in order of 1000 € there won't be better results. 10 years ago most of the work was outsourced which resulted in terrible rip offs to the state budget, but when you want to do all that work in house, you need to pay the people accordingly and you need to have them.

The best spend 1 bln CZK in the Czech road infrastructure would be on the human resources in the ŘSD.
Old July 1st, 2016, 03:21 AM   #3458
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Sorry, but these are all poor arguments IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Also D52 already exists
Of course, now there's already a motorway to Pohořelice. My question was rather retrospective.
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:55 AM   #3459
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 308

To sum the reasons why D52 got priority over D55 bypass of Břeclav (the I/55 single carriageway bypass will be built anyway btw) and some of them have been already mentioned:

1/ The D52 (R52, H52... whatever the designation was thourough history) was initially, along with the D/R/H 43 planned as completion of the so called exteritorial motorway Vienna - Wroclaw (RAB 88 Wien - Breslau) begun in late 1930s and never completed but with a lot of (mainly ground-) works left in quite an advanced phase of construction. So it has initially been envisioned as a motorway that would come on cheap, taking advantage of the works already finished, so the D2 redundancy was not considered an issue. The Rajhrad-Pohořelice section takes full advantage of the groundworks for the old motorway; here's where it joins its path.

2/ The already mentioned Dyje/Thaya wetlands and subsequent environmental and construction costs issues. There was a comparative study of both variants, incl. visualizations, made around 2010 to finally resolve this (perpetually re-emerging) issue which preferred the D52 over D55 variant on these two counts, but I was unable to find it online now. Paradoxically it was strongly contested by some environmentalist organizations (but their motivation, fuelled by a good dose of NYMBYsm, is above all to prevent the D52+D43 Brno west bypass, which would be more likely to achieve w/o completion of D52).

3/ Znojmo. Actually majority of the traffic south of Pohořelice heads west towards Znojmo. D2 wouldn't take care of this traffic and it would remain on I/52, i. e. the existing D52 segment was needed anyway.

4/ Prague. Prague doesn't have a direct motorway link with Vienna. I/38 is partly built/planned as a dual carriageway but a full upgrade is not planned, at least not for now, so one of D52 roles is to work as one. It was already mentioned here that D52 vs D2 (+D55) is over 10 km shorter on Brno-Vienna track. It's even more so on Prague - Vienna track especially taking into account the D52 part of the Brno west bypass (Troubsko - Rajhrad) (in path of the former RAB 88). This way the Prague - Vienna track via D52 will be some 320 km long compared to approx. 290 km via I/38 providing some travel time advantage - and thus a pull factor - over I/38 road. Distance via D2 (+D55) would make for some 345 kms and so would be in no way an attractive alternative to I/38, which would remain the fastest link of Prague and Vienna and so would all the traffic there.

SRC_100, ukraroad, Verso, Moravian liked this post

Last edited by HiRazor; July 7th, 2016 at 12:01 PM.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #3460
Verso
Islander

Thanks for your post. I guess local traffic south(west) of Brno requires a motorway on its own, I just think it's a pity to build two almost parallel motorways (remember that you also have to maintain them). Maybe they could've built the Brno-Bratislava motorway via Mikulov or somewhere inbetween, but that's past now.

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways