daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #3561
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Yep. The weight of the embankment pushes onto the potential unstable ground underneath. The ground water levels have been lowered so that the ground can be dried and consolidated a bit more. The biggest problem there are the underground water movements that stimulate potential sliding areas...

ChrisZwolle, gr_kanev, Ices77, SRC_100 liked this post
mapman:cz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #3562
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That looks like an embankment.
I can't find a geological map of the area, but basically the whole area is full of historical landslide and landslide risk areas. Down in the valley flows the Labe river and the landmass just slides to it, the soil layers have just the right composition to be sliding, sensitive to heavy raining etc..

On the other side, I never really understood al the fuss about preserving the nature there, when the whole mountain is being eaten by the stone pit at the side of the hill. If there's anything damaging the nature sight there, its the stone pit.

As about the most recent problem. Its the beginning of the elevated motorway. One pillar has moved a bit there. They already tried to alleviate the pressure of the embankment on the slope at the start of the elevated part here:

gr_kanev, Adayafter, passat1717 liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #3563
threo2k

Likes (Received): 23

Why do they now just make a new stretch and move the stretch somewhere else than this area? :P
threo2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #3564
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

D8 opening is also covered by Slovakian media. Daily Hospodárske noviny reports, that just two kilometers around Prackovická estacade will be opened as half profile. In landslide area are sensors monitoring the movements of the soil and Highways Directorate RSD get the reports from them every hour. Nevertheless, transport minister will further inform the government on Monday about the results of monitoring and future steps and measures.
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #3565
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ices77 View Post
D8 opening is also covered by Slovakian media. Daily Hospodárske noviny reports, that just two kilometers around Prackovická estacade will be opened as half profile. In landslide area are sensors monitoring the movements of the soil and Highways Directorate RSD get the reports from them every hour. Nevertheless, transport minister will further inform the government on Monday about the results of monitoring and future steps and measures.
I see.... Its completely crazy. A true madness. Whats the point to make it half-profile when the whole thing might collapse. Its not going to better now when winter is looming.
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #3566
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

It sounds like there was a lot of political pressure to finally open it before Christmas. Who knows it may be closed after New Year's? Slides are generally difficult and expensive to mitigate. The standard approach in Norway is to build a multi-kilometer tunnel. In Greece they built an arch bridge over an unstable area. In Sicily, it just collapses

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie, pmaciej7, Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #3567
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It sounds like there was a lot of political pressure to finally open it before Christmas. Who knows it may be closed after New Year's? Slides are generally difficult and expensive to mitigate. The standard approach in Norway is to build a multi-kilometer tunnel. In Greece they built an arch bridge over an unstable area. In Sicily, it just collapses
Well some say these days that this was done on purpose so that the money would need to keep pouring in.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #3568
Trupman

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
I see.... Its completely crazy. A true madness. Whats the point to make it half-profile when the whole thing might collapse. Its not going to better now when winter is looming.
You would be saying different things if you knew the old road.
Even half profile (that is only on a short section btw) is a great improvement compared to the road through Velemín.
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #3569
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trupman View Post
You would be saying different things if you knew the old road.
Even half profile (that is only on a short section btw) is a great improvement compared to the road through Velemín.
Indeed I know that route through those small villages. Quite decent road quality and scenic. Its true, D8 is complete and now you have highway from Berlin to Pague and thats nice! What I just wanted to point out was that it is endangering the drivers to drive this stretch.

Why is it that they did not bless the road ? No tradition for that in CZ given the overwhelming atheism compared to the sister-country Slovakia ?
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #3570
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Indeed I know that route through those small villages. Quite decent road quality and scenic. Its true, D8 is complete and now you have highway from Berlin to Pague and thats nice! What I just wanted to point out was that it is endangering the drivers to drive this stretch.

Why is it that they did not bless the road ? No tradition for that in CZ given the overwhelming atheism compared to the sister-country Slovakia ?
I have never heard about blessing motorways in Slovakia. Perhaps former minister of transportation from Christian Democratic Movement (currently out of parliament) may have arranged something. I only remember he had some new trains blessed, it did not helped him to hold the office tough. However it is quite typical to sanctify a little statue of St. Barbara when tunnel construction begins, which is an old mining tradition.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #3571
Trupman

Quote:
What I just wanted to point out was that it is endangering the drivers to drive this stretch.
I am pretty sure that if there was even a tiny chance of this motorway being dangerous to drivers, the authority would immediately close it.

Ices77 liked this post
Trupman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #3572
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Some pictures from last week of overhauled stretches of D2 motorway. Weather was far from perfect and have dirty windshield, so sorry for any inconvenience.
There is nice and rather smooth concrete surface, on bridges and viaducts asphalt surface.

to be continued...

Highway89, patakcze, Qwert liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #3573
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

The end

rudiwien, Luki_SL, patakcze, loloo, Qwert and 1 others liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #3574
Ices77

D8 driving video

Driving video from newly opened D8 Řehlovice - Bílinka (Lovosice). Courtesy to Jirka L. from ceskedalnice.cz:

And the complete D8 from Prague to Trmice (Ústí nad Labem):

Luki_SL, SRC_100, loloo, gr_kanev, Festin liked this post
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:04 PM   #3575
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ices77 View Post
Driving video from newly opened D8 Řehlovice - Bílinka (Lovosice). Courtesy to Jirka L. from ceskedalnice.cz:

Is there any info where I-8 begins and II-608* ends now?
*Primary highways I-xx are usually replaced by secondary highways II-6xx when a parallel motorway is opened.

The video shows II-608 signs at exit 52 (Vychnice) from 8:22 to 8:45, and I-15, I-30 and II-608 at exit 48 (Lovosice) from 10:18 to 10:41.

According to OSM, the old II-608 / I-8 transition was between the two exits.

Does anybody know details or do I have to wait till the official map is updated?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 03:21 PM   #3576
Trupman

The change of 1st class roads (I/xx) to 2nd class (II/xxx) depends also on several other issues. The 2nd class roads are administrated and owned by regions, while 1st class roads are property of ŘSD. So it can take quite a while.

There are some cases where a region refused to take over the old 1st class road leading by a new motorway. For example the I/47 between Vyškov and Hulín or I/35 through Olomouc.
Old December 21st, 2016, 04:17 PM   #3577
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Ok but it seems that there was no problem with the segment just south of the new D8 section. I guess it should also work fine here or is there any info?

Nevertheless, I thought that I-8 would start at exit 52 because it's not directly parallel to D8 from here but it's not signposted at D8 exit. That means I-8 is minimum planned to disappear here. Will it begin south of Bystrany at the interchange with I-63? Or will I-8 begin in Teplice where I-13 heads to the east and will I-63 be extended to I-13 interchange south of Teplice?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 09:10 PM   #3578
Ices77

Personally I think I-8 as a road number will just disappear. The same happenned to old I-5 after completition of D5, former I-5 is now II-605, road number I-5 does not exist any more. And I-8 in my opinion could be considered as paralel road to D8 and according to the markings it will be II-608. The same happenned after completition of D8 Lovosice-Bílinka section, former first class road number I-8 had been replaced with II-608.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:47 PM   #3579
Ices77

Yet some night photos from D8 Bílinka Řehlovice. Credit to Martin Kratochvil.

Full gallery at: https://www.zonerama.com/makr/Album/2499465

Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:40 PM   #3580
Ices77

D4 Pribram/Skalka – Haje/crossroad with II/118.

In the D4 visualisation is this section in the first part up to 7.19:

and December ride on paralell road, construction on the right. Nicer views and sunnier weather in second part of video:

pmaciej7, Luki_SL, SRC_100, gr_kanev liked this post

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways