daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #341
jkjkjk

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoW View Post
What is the cost of of this stretch of R1 per kilmotre ?
app. 2 bl. CZK
jkjkjk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM   #342
X236K

Likes (Received): 46

Electronic vignette to be introduced in Czech instead of labels

Czech only link: http://zpravy.idnes.cz/nova-dalnicni...501_domaci_abr

In 2009, the government is planning to introduce a new system of electronic toll for cars. Each driver may apply for a "box" that will be placed in a car and checked when driving through the toll gates. The toll will be pre-paid the way way we pay for prepaid mobile services, the price will remain the same: CZK 1000/year, CZK 320/month, CZK 220/week. The box will not be assigned to a specific car, so the drivers (e.g. family with 2 cars) may share 1 box. If a foreigner wants to use a highway, he'll have to pick-up and pay the toll before he enters the highway. Also, he'll have to pay a refundable deposit for a box.
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM   #343
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19364

What toll gates, as far as I remember, there aren't any. This kinda makes me feel the government wants to trace your movements.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM   #344
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What toll gates, as far as I remember, there aren't any. This kinda makes me feel the government wants to trace your movements.
They mean electronic toll gates which are currently used for trucks.
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

But what is the advantage of this system? They can check better if you payed for tolls, in other words, there are lots of people driving without a vignette now?
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM   #346
X236K

Quote:
This kinda makes me feel the government wants to trace your movements.
They claim the boxes will be anonymous
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM   #347
X236K

Quote:
But what is the advantage of this system? They can check better if you payed for tolls, in other words, there are lots of people driving without a vignette now?
1) they want to save money since printing and distribution of labels is expensive
2) they will be able to analyze the traffic as exact number of cars using a specific stretch will be know
3) it'll be easier for everyone to pay
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM   #348
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Their arguments are:
- vignette can be transferable, so if family has two or more cars, they can save money, because they can share one vignette
- current traffic density can be watched - police can faster react during traffic jams and variable traffic signs can be changed following traffic situation
- bad payers can be detected while crossing through toll gate without charged vignette
- ministry of transportation will spare money for printing label vignettes
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:21 AM   #349
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I really hope Europe doesn't becomes scattered with different systems, if countries will implement an electronic tolling system, they should make compatible systems, like the American E-ZPass.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM   #350
Smallville

Likes (Received): 6

Capitalism is fantastic! Way to go Chech Repulic!
Smallville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM   #351
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

I don't understand why the price is not per kilometer
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM   #352
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Be happy, because it's gonna cost you way more that way. In the Netherlands they're thinking of such a system which can cost a commuter over € 1000 per year. Compare that to the € 32 vignette right now.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM   #353
X236K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokpit View Post
I don't understand why the price is not per kilometer
What fee you'd recommend per km? I don't want to pay additional 1 CZK per km, that would cost me another 20.000 yearly!
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM   #354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

€ 0,003 for a commuter which travels 40km on the motorway every workday to break even with the current vignette. But if they charge per km, they probably will charge 7 - 8 cents per kilometer, which costs the commuter of 40km per day € 700,- per year.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM   #355
X236K

I've just changed to LPG to save that amount!
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:23 PM   #356
kokpit
BANNED

Quote:
Be happy, because it's gonna cost you way more that way. In the Netherlands they're thinking of such a system which can cost a commuter over € 1000 per year. Compare that to the € 32 vignette right now.
Well I don't have a car so I do not want to subsidize motorists from my taxes. All roads constructions should be payed from the toll. If someone doesn't use road, why should he pay for it's construction/reconstruction....
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM   #357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's why you better toll with a vignette than per kilometer. A € 700 vignette would never be accepted, but there's less opposition possible with a charge per kilometer, because it sounds more "fair", but in the end you pay way more than with a vignette.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM   #358
kokpit
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by X236K View Post
What fee you'd recommend per km? I don't want to pay additional 1 CZK per km, that would cost me another 20.000 yearly!
Man, this is your problem. Do you think that roads are gratis? No they aren't, they are pretty costly...
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #359
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Man, this is your problem. Do you think that roads are gratis? No they aren't, they are pretty costly...
That's not really the problem, because apparantly, the vignette system can make enough money to finance the roads. In the Netherlands, they make it more expensive everytime, and now we're paying 18 billion euro's per year, while they invest only 2 - 3 billion per year.

Charging per kilometer is basically a way to make more money off the drivers. If they abolish all gas taxes in NL, (which would make the gas price less than 50 cents), they still have enough income to finance the roads.

The problem is, non drivers do not want to pay for roads, but on the other side, drivers pretty much pay for all kind of stuff besides roads. So it's strange that it's accepted non drivers don't pay for roads, while drivers are expected to finance non-road related projects.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM   #360
X236K

Quote:
I guess I pay the taxes by km by fuel consumer tax, right...? And also, as far as I know, the truck damages the pavement more than ten thousand times more than my car, and how much does they pay per km? Moreover, infrastructure is essential for national economy, so providing a high-quality road is not a free-service for me, but a necessary condition to keep our economy running.

Quote:
That's not really the problem, because apparantly, the vignette system can make enough money to finance the roads. In the Netherlands, they make it more expensive everytime, and now we're paying 18 billion euro's per year, while they invest only 2 - 3 billion per year.

Charging per kilometer is basically a way to make more money off the drivers. If they abolish all gas taxes in NL, (which would make the gas price less than 50 cents), they still have enough income to finance the roads.

The problem is, non drivers do not want to pay for roads, but on the other side, drivers pretty much pay for all kind of stuff besides roads.
In Czech, the revenue from labels does not cover even the maintanance. Most of funds for construction is coming from government's budget, loans and european funds.

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways