daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #481
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 308

1. the sign reads something in the lines of "test of traffic signalling dir Ostrava"

2. the upper symbol represents highway sticker (applies to passenger cars), the lower symbol (M) represents the PreMid elctronic toll (applies to trucks). As the sign is crossed it means the following section is free of charge for both passanger cars and trucks (so far).
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #482
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://www.ceskedalnice.cz/foto/d1f1...slides/311.JPG

As a non Czech, I can only make something with "direction Ostrava" of it.
It say's :

Test operation
Traffic signage
Direction Ostrava

As I heard there are plans to introduce billingual texts if some important traffic event occures, this photo was made few hours before the strech was opened to traffic, I think now there is some other sign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It means "no vignette" an "no toll" This section is not included in the vignette and toll network as it is not included in the government regulation yet. On the 1.1.2009 these signs will disappear, as new regulation would be effective.
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #483
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
One recent photo of Prague Outer Ring Road construction site south of Prague near Zbraslav, 9 cranes in a row working on the cca 2,4 km long viaduct, crosssing the rivers of Vltava and Berounka, national road 4, two streets and two railway corridors (photo made by kasme)
its almost the same lenght as the Karlovac viaduct...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #484
X236K

Likes (Received): 47

My shots from D1 Lipnik - Belotin, made today:

X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Very nice pictures! 2x3 and empty, I wish to see that in the Netherlands

I like the Czech signage, best in Central Europe (excl. Germany) in my opinion. What about that 160 km/h speed limit?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #486
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

6 lanes, is there so much traffic???
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #487
X236K

Sunday morning... my favourite time to take some shots. Nobody care that I drive 100 kmph on a highway...

I'm afraid that 160 kmph limit is on hold now... haven't heard any news for ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Weekdays were always jammed in that area. In future, there will be D1/R35 joining on west end of this 2X3 stretch, and D1/R48 on the east one. So the road is ready for future density.
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #488
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
seems to me very clever planning, because it's an important route and traffic will surely increase next years.they will not have to enlarge it in 30-40 years maybe, and building it 2+2 then enlarge it to 3+3 is more costly than building it 3+3 from the begining.not to mention that building cost will increase a lot in 15years, when enlargement would have been probably necessary.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #489
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It's better to build too much lanes now, then just enough and having to build extra later (referring to my beautiful unjammed country )
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:11 AM   #490
Ministerský rada

Coool and very green pics X236K! Mine only few days ago were sooo grey-white, damn I love those pics of motorways where you can see green countryside and blue sky with small white clouds I'll have to wait for spring for a while

And Chris, as you can see, the stupid text (test operation of traffic signage) is still on Waiting for change...
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM   #491
enschede-er
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
they have 10milion habitants , so there is a lot of traffic
enschede-er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:49 PM   #492
X236K

as far as I remember, there are over 4 milion cars registered in CZ

Here is a map roughly showing the reason why 2x3 profile has been choosen for this stretch. There's R35 heading west and will be D1 heading south/west in future. On the other end, D1 heading north-east is to be opened next year and R48 is in service already (to be extended in near future).

The road E442 between Lipnik and Hranice was always completely jammed during the weekdays as it goes through the city and several villages, having several small roundabouts to go through.

Old December 4th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #493
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

I didn´t question it´s right of the 6 lanes,but you couldn´t see those traffic-jams on the picture.
Something else.....We were talking about wider motorways like 6-8 lanes. I think isn´t it expansive to maintane the wide motorways for 35-40 years?
Wouldn´t be cheaper to build a 4 laned motorway and wait....like 25 years before widening or so? or it is totally crazy.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #494
Ministerský rada

Quote:
I didn´t question it´s right of the 6 lanes,but you couldn´t see those traffic-jams on the picture.
Something else.....We were talking about wider motorways like 6-8 lanes. I think isn´t it expansive to maintane the wide motorways for 35-40 years?
Wouldn´t be cheaper to build a 4 laned motorway and wait....like 25 years before widening or so? or it is totally crazy.
Our northern neighbours, Polish guys, made a very clever solution on new motorway stretches, they just leave a reserve for a third lane, so that it can be easily built when needed without demolishing old bridges etc...

We have such stretches here too, but they are veeeery small, 9 kms of D11 near Prague and eastern part of Prague Outer Ring of amazing 3 kms! Wonder why this was not applied on the southern part of the ringroad...
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #495
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Prague Outer Ring has no reserve? And it is just 2x2?
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #496
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
The pavement is concrete, so that leaves little maintenance, especially with low traffic volumes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #497
Ministerský rada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
In depends on its parts. Look at the map on this page: http://www.okruhprahy.cz/index.php?t...live-stavby-14 - you can see 11 different parts of Ring Road.

515 was built as first (in 1983) and is 2+2 with no reserve.
510 was built as second (1984/1993) and is 2+2 with reserve for 3+3.
516 (2000) - 3+3
517 (2001) - 3+3
That's all what has been built until these days.

512-4 are under construction and expected to be opened to traffic in May 2010. 512 is 2+2, 513 and 514 as well, but when leaving Vltava valley on both sides there are climbing lanes (also in tunnels), which makes it 2+3 for some 2-3 kms.

511 is finally planned as 3+3 and 518, 519 and 520 stretches hopefully too, but there are huge problems with NIMBYs, so it will take some time...
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #498
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
North of the D1 and D5 junctions the ring is built / being built / planned as 3+3 (pictures...)

...a variation with reserve...

...while the southern half containing long bridges and tunnels (about 4 km of tunnels and about as many km of bridges) is built / planned as 2+2 (picture...)

The reason is probably reduction of costs. However all the expensive tunnels and bridges are being built as 2+3 anyway (climbing lanes), so the reduction won't be large and IMHO not really worth the reduction of capacity and consequent problems (jams etc.)

Btw similar policy can be seen on Prague's other ring - the urban MO, where the tunnel-rich (over 10 km alltogether) northern half is 2+2 (3+3 between ramps as the slip roads are connected there), while the tunnel-free south is 3+3 all the way. So perhaps there's some logic: the combined "width" of Prague rings will be 5+5 at any sector of the city.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #499
Ministerský rada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
North of the D1 and D5 junctions the ring is built / being built / planned as 3+3 (pictures...)

...a variation with reserve...

...while the southern half containing long bridges and tunnels (about 4 km of tunnels and about as many km of bridges) is built / planned as 2+2 (picture...)
Yeah, thanks for the pics I have them everywhere and I am so lazy to post it But you reminded me that we have brand new pics of the western part! And I forgot to update the gallery... Hm, lets do it

Quote:
The reason is probably reduction of costs. However all the expensive tunnels and bridges are being built as 2+3 anyway (climbing lanes), so the reduction won't be large and IMHO not really worth the reduction of capacity and consequent problems (jams etc.)

Btw similar policy can be seen on Prague's other ring - the urban MO, where the tunnel-rich (over 10 km alltogether) northern half is 2+2 (3+3 between ramps as the slip roads are connected there), while the tunnel-free south is 3+3 all the way. So perhaps there's some logic: the combined "width" of Prague rings will be 5+5 at any sector of the city.
The reduction of costs is one aspect, but possible traffic congestion and money and time wasted in jams...

On the other side I am OK with the MO configuration, I think it will be good enough, because no transiting trucks will be allowed on it since completion of southern and eastern part of Outer Ring. MO will be a very nice and fast way to travel among different parts of city
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #500
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

New 80's - style vignettes:

Oh yeah...

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways