daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #941
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Is jan ryba a Croat?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #942
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan ryba View Post
It is very nice to have your response so quickly. I must admit that I like the Czechs very much for their sense of humor and predictability. But it is for the first time I see that the Czechs are in for big, economic problems and therefore lagging behind. You must fulfill your obligations otherwise nobody will treat you seriously. And road construction is just another business like many other businesses. I hope that you will successfully overcome your financial bottlenecks and this crossing will be opened simultaneously on both sides. Waiting idle for two years would be a big scandal and enormous loss of money. Do you know that the Russians failed two years ago in the same way i.e. our S22 section Elblag - Grzechotki en route to Kaliningrad former Koenigsberg was completed and commissioned on our side in early 2008 and is unused because they are delaying their construction. And their arguments are exactly like yours. Sorry for these comments.
Calm down. Our part of A1 won't be finished on time. There is huge problem with big motorway bridge in Mszana (MA532)
No one seems to know for sure what is going on but construction is suspended on that bridge for last few months. Some say about design fault some say it is contractor inexperience.
If you not familiar, it is the biggest bridge on Gorzyczki - Swierklany contract.
It is quite possible that Polish and Czech part will open at the same time, unfortunately both delayed.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #943
jan ryba

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Is jan ryba a Croat?
Sorry

Last edited by jan ryba; November 27th, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
jan ryba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #944
jan ryba

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Calm down. Our part of A1 won't be finished on time. There is a huge problem with the big motorway bridge in Mszana (MA532)
No one seems to know for sure what is going on but construction is suspended on that bridge for the last few months. Some say about design fault some say it is caused by contractor's inexperience.
If you are not familiar, it is the biggest bridge on Gorzyczki - Swierklany contract.
It is quite possible that both Polish and Czech sections will be opened at the same time, unfortunately both delayed.
Thanks a lot for your extensive and self-explanatory information. It seems to me that we have here to do with a typical mess and incompetence on both sides of this section. Probably the Poles will lose their 66% financing from Cohesion Fund for causing this delay.

Last edited by jan ryba; November 27th, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #945
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Don't worry jan ryba... If you know a little about motorway construction history, you'll see that big motorway countries like the United States or Germany also took decades to construct small missing links. So two years delay isn't a big deal.

For instance, the I-95 through Philadelphia began construction in 1959 but wasn't completed until 1989. That's 30 friggin' years for the most important freeway in one of the biggest cities in the United States. So I wouldn't worry too much about a one or two year opening discrepancy in the Polish-Czech border region.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #946
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Sorry to ask you this question but why you are not using both indefinite and definite articles in your English-like texts ? I would be very obliged if you could improve on it.
just to remind you. this is an international forum, and we express our thoughts the best way we can. the most important thing here - I believe - is to be understood. and geogregor matches that pattern accurately. I wish all Poles could have as well practised English as geogregor. am I right ?

right, it would give some help for English-speaking-only people if we start accenting both indefinite and definite articles in each sentence, but to be honest we do it deliberately, just to give you another intelectual challenge. cheers man.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #947
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your extensive and self-explanatory information. It seems to me that we have here to do with a typical Eastern European mess and incompetence on both sides of this section. Probably the Poles will lose their 66% financing from Cohesion Fund for causing this delay.
Germany opened their part of E50/A6 all the way to the border 10 years after the Czechs. Was it an example of "typical Western European mess". Nope. Germany just had other priorities like upgrading East German motorway network.

Infrastructure projects are unfortunately always prone to delays, overpricing and other difficulties steming from the fact there're many unpredictable factors partly or completely out of control of planners and builders like politics, NIMBY and environmental protests, and last but not least the mother nature. This is the same worldwide. Your own country is no exception (take a look at an example of a "typical US mess" called the Big Dig for instance).

Quote:
Sorry to ask you this question but why you are not using both indefinite and definite articles in your English-like texts ? I would be very obliged if you could improve on it.
And I thought you couldn't be any more annoying . I would be very obliged if you could improve on being a bit less cocky . Thank you.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #948
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
Germany opened their part of E50/A6 all the way to the border 10 years after the Czechs. Was it an example of "typical Western European mess". Nope. Germany just had other priorities like upgrading East German motorway network.

Infrastructure projects are unfortunately always prone to delays, overpricing and other difficulties steming from the fact there're many unpredictable factors partly or completely out of control of planners and builders like politics, NIMBY and environmental protests, and last but not least the mother nature. This is the same worldwide. Your own country is no exception (take a look at an example of a "typical US mess" called the Big Dig for instance).
The same case was Austrian A6 between Bratislava and Vienna. Again typical Western European mess.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #949
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Calm down. Our part of A1 won't be finished on time. There is huge problem with big motorway bridge in Mszana (MA532)
No one seems to know for sure what is going on but construction is suspended on that bridge for last few months. Some say about design fault some say it is contractor inexperience.
If you not familiar, it is the biggest bridge on Gorzyczki - Swierklany contract.
It is quite possible that Polish and Czech part will open at the same time, unfortunately both delayed.
This is what I thought. It would have been very surprising if both countries did not coordinate their schedules.

The Czech part is currently in a state one construction season is needed to its completion. I'm sure if Poles insisted on 2010 be the opening year the money would have been dug from somewhere. Heck it's just 6.8 Km of motorway where 3/4 of works are already done!

IMH(and firm)O, there is mutual consent (to date) 2011 be the opening year of BOTH border sections.
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #950
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

I see the pictures of the newly opended D1 stretch have not been posted yet, so it's up to me.

As ususal the pictures are courtesy of the excellent ceskedalnice.cz team (thumbs up and many thanks). The full galery can be found here.

Pictures were taken minutes before opening.

Samples:

Only one carriageway was opened on section 4705, the other will be put into service next summer...

traversing the median onto the completely complete section 4706...

section 4706...

First moments after the traffic was allowed onto the new motorway...

Old November 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #951
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I gotta say the Czech signage is the only one in capital letters I actually like. The font is clear and the size is good.
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #952
jan ryba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
The same case was Austrian A6 between Bratislava and Vienna. Again typical Western European mess.
Hi guys,

Thank you again very much for your quite interesting and useful remarks. However I would like to draw your attention to this D1- A1 CZ PL case showing clearly that something must be done. The whole investment process starting from planning, designing, tendering, contracting, construction and commissioning needs to be urgently examined and cleared. The most delaying problems could be found in legal, regulatory and financial areas. I don't understand why my opponents think that everything is OK and quite natural and normal.

This section A1-D1 from Sośnica PL to Bohumin CZ is about 65 km and it will take nearly 10 years to open it.

Did anyone study the Chinese motorway programme where they are building over 6000 km of high quality motorways per year !

I think that the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of U.S. Interstate and Defense Highways could serve here as a good example how to efficiently and quickly build 75,440 km of I-Highways (called motorways in Europe).

Last edited by jan ryba; November 27th, 2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #953
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I gotta say the Czech signage is the only one in capital letters I actually like. The font is clear and the size is good.
I totally agree with you! Personally I think that the Czech and German signages are the best ever!
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #954
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I think that the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of U.S. Interstate and Defense Highways, commonly called the Interstate Highway System (or simply the Interstate System) could serve here as a good example how to efficiently and quickly build 75,440 km of I-Highways (called motorways in Europe) making it both the largest highway system in the world and the largest public works project in history.
As I pointed out earlier, the IH system also had significant routes that were constructed more than 4 decades after the start of it in 1956. For instance, I-476 near Philadelphia wasn't constructed until 1991. I-105 near Los Angeles was also constructed in the early 1990's.

Delays just do happen, even how unfortunate they are. I can't actually believe you think this minor gap near a border crossing is such a big deal when it's completed 1 year later than the other side... This kind of things happen all over Europe.
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #955
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
I see the pictures of the newly opended D1 stretch have not been posted yet, so it's up to me.
They have, but thanks for posting them anyway.

CS used to be Czechoslovakia, btw. Czech Republic is CZ.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #956
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan ryba
... why you are not using both indefinite and definite articles in your English-like texts ? I would be very obliged if you could improve on it.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan ryba
... It seems to me that we have here to do with a typical Eastern European mess and incompetence ...
Please spare us your insolence.
If you do not moderate your demeanour, I can assure you that the Moderator will. Most of us are and were raised as non-English speakers; and FYI Poland and the Czech Republic are in Central Europe.

Quote:
I think that the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of U.S. Interstate and Defense Highways ... could serve here as a good example how to efficiently and quickly build 75,440 km of I-Highways ...
There is no doubt that the US and Chinese highway networks are impressive and were built with a lot of pride and impetus. But I do not for one minute believe that these projects were trouble-free and that they ran smoothly without ever hitting a hitch. I have not studied either but your own Wikipedia source admits to this:

... The initial cost estimate for the (US IH) system was $25 billion over 12 years; it ended up costing $114 billion (adjusted for inflation, $425 billion in 2006 dollars) and taking 35 years to complete ...

So, you see, projects overrun and fail to meet budgets everywhere.
It is best if we curtail this balooning OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
How right you are!
Czech beer and m-way signs are the best. It makes me jealous!

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #957
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
They have, but thanks for posting them anyway.
Ups my bad, sorry.
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #958
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Czech beer and m-way signs are the best. It makes me jealous!
You can have the signs, I could live without them. The beer is a different case (see my avatar, for instance).
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #959
Sponsor

I agree with the signage. Nice and clear.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #960
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

I just realized, that we have 1 111,1 kms of motorways/expressways in operation ))

http://www.ceskedalnice.cz/prilohy/data.htm

EDIT: I forgot to count new prolongation of D11, that happened yesterday with R35 opening, so it's 1113,3 kms

And thanks to mod for cleaning the mess up...

Last edited by mapman:cz; November 28th, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
mapman:cz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways