daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2010, 01:28 AM   #1281
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
Tunnels are 3+2, 3 lanes upwards (climbing lane).
Unfortunately, there is no reserve on this new stretch, but positive info is that all other new sections will be built as 3+3. Next should be section 511 Modletice (D1) - Běchovice (D11), construction start in 2012 and finished in 2014/5.
I'm surprised they decided to built Prague bypass 2x2 only. It is going to be one of the most important roads in Czech Republic.
In Poland bypass of much smaller Wroclaw is built 2X3 as is A4 and A1 in Silesia region. Most of other motorways are designed for easy widening and Poznan bypass on A2 should be widened soon.
How about new motorways in Czech republic? Are they designed for easy widening (land reserves etc.)?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:51 AM   #1282
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Google updated the satellite in some parts of CZ. Here is the clearly visible D1 - A1 motorway construction site at the Czech - Polish border nearby Bohumin.

link
Great! And when will be section from Stanowice to Ostrava open?

btw, I am glad to see another part of Prague ring in use!

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM   #1283
1+1=3

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I'm surprised they decided to built Prague bypass 2x2 only. It is going to be one of the most important roads in Czech Republic.
In Poland bypass of much smaller Wroclaw is built 2X3 as is A4 and A1 in Silesia region. Most of other motorways are designed for easy widening and Poznan bypass on A2 should be widened soon.
most parts will be 3+3, some even 4+4 on outer ring. But Prague is bit specific, since there are two rings u/c - inner and this outer. And on some parts there will be tangent motorways between both, like at this southern part.

Anyway video of today opened 23 km stretch
1+1=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM   #1284
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
How about new motorways in Czech republic? Are they designed for easy widening (land reserves etc.)?
Not really... only occasionally
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:09 AM   #1285
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Great! And when will be section from Stanowice to Ostrava open?

btw, I am glad to see another part of Prague ring in use!
The intergovermental agreement puts it to 2012. I would say that they could be finished on the czech side certainly sooner... already next year. They will already maybe put the first layer of CB in few km around Bohumin since the finisher is there. The only problem here are the money and new savy policy of the new ministry... (so called we will starve them to lower prices), otherwise it could have been already opened.

The polish side looks too rather prepared however, there is currently no constructor and the site is in stuck for some time (a half year maybe??).

Therefore also there are no complaints from PL side. They have troubles with constructor, CZ side with money... so both are happy with delayed date.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1286
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
It's quite a difference to build a widening-ready motorway in a flatland like Poland and in a hilly country like Czech republic. What's a responsible foresight in the former, is a reckless wasting in the latter.

The stretch in question - as have been already mentioned on several occasions thourough the thread - runs through quite a difficult terrain, where on 23 kms, it was necessary to build some 4 km of tunnels and about as many kms of bridges as high as 65 meters including a 2,5 km long one spanning Vltava and Berounka river valley. The rest of the motorway is built in some sort of cut about 6 m deep.

In such conditions a full scale 6 lane-ready motorway would have been noticeably costlier. On the other hand additional CZK 2 bn (about 10% of total costs) which is my estimate 2 more meters needed in downstream tubes of Lochkovsky and Cholupicky tunnels to fully accomodate 3 lanes (the upstream tubes do have 3 lanes already) would have costed, would have been money well spent as those are the only structures that cannot accomodate 3 lanes, anywhere else, where full scale widening is difficult (bridges, underpasses) the 3rd lane can be easily established at the expense of the emergency lane (roadways outside tunnels are at least 11,5 m wide).

With 60.000+ AADT current load and 90.000+ projected, it's clear the 3rd lane would have been welcome and sooner or later the question to raise the capacity of the road will arise. And it will be a HOW question, not an IF question. Apart of that IF we were not that stupid and built the descending tubes a bit wider we would know HOW to raise capacity much easier.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1287
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
In such conditions a full scale 6 lane-ready motorway would have been noticeably costlier.
Quote:
With 60.000+ AADT current load and 90.000+ projected, it's clear the 3rd lane would have been welcome and sooner or later the question to raise the capacity of the road will arise.
I think you will find out adapting the road to 2x3 lanes in the future will turn out significantly more costlier than if it would've been done at once. Widening bridges and tunnels is almost a no-go, since you need to rebuild them completely.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1288
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 307

All the bridges and all the tunnels except the 2 tubes mentioned (albeit over 3,5 km long) have roadways at least 11,5 m wide - enough to accomodate 3 lanes. There are plenty of motorways that miss emergency lanes in tunnels, bridges and underpasses. This one would be no rare exception in world context. Unfortunately with the 2 bottlenecks left it's indeed almost a no-go. However, nothing's impossible.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1289
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I hoped they would forbid trucks over 7,5 tons to go on Jizni spojka. Btw is there any plan to turno off the lights on the Barrandov bridge?
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1290
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
I hoped they would forbid trucks over 7,5 tons to go on Jizni spojka.
That road will still function as a major entrance to southern Praha. I don't think you can just ban truck traffic on a route like that. You could ban through trucks, but such things are almost impossible to enforce.

What does "Jižní spojka" mean? Jižní sounds like Juh/Jih/Jug = South, and Spojka could be a translation of "Spange" / "tangent"? Southern Tangent? Sounds plausible.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM   #1291
1+1=3

Well there is 93k projected for 2040 between Vestec and Lahovice, what should be the most loaded stretch of this southern part. May be after completion of northern part it will be sufficient, who knows. Also till 2020 Vestec feeder 2+2 should be connected to D1 which could help too.
[IMG]http://i52.************/14tl9w3.png[/IMG].

Last edited by 1+1=3; September 21st, 2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1292
1+1=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What does "Jižní spojka" mean? Jižní sounds like Juh/Jih/Jug = South, and Spojka could be a translation of "Spange" / "tangent"? Southern Tangent? Sounds plausible.
It means Southern connection road. We call tangent a tečna or tangenta.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1293
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
I hoped they would forbid trucks over 7,5 tons to go on Jizni spojka. Btw is there any plan to turno off the lights on the Barrandov bridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Nice...

The trucks over 12 tonnes are forbidden to enter the "Jizni spojka" and "K Barandovu" (the markposts) since the opening:

, thus the rush hours should be less rush there. However, they will become more rush at the start of with D1. Especially the "Sporilovská" between the numbers 29 and 1 on the picture should get congested. This will be only helped by future construction of section 511 of the ring.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM   #1294
Sch1

Likes (Received): 21

The lights on Barrandov bridge are already turned off since midnight. The inner ring road (Jižní spojka) is narrowed to 2 lanes to better accomodate heavy traffic from the on ramp from Modřany.
The travel time delays on the southern part of inner ring road reported during rush hours today and yesterday where around 5 minutes compared to 30 minutes before the outer ring was opened.
We will see what happens without the lights, it seem not to have a significant effect on travel time, but traffic flow is reported to be more fluent today.
Sch1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM   #1295
Schengen
S

Likes (Received): 0

Dear Mr Mapman,

As I know you have wide connecctions in the Czech Ministries and Highway Authorities and therefore I would like to ask you two questions !

When crossing your CZ - Schengen borders I observed you are using this special EU roadsign of type IP30 (blue background with European stars and Czech Republic. If you could be so kind and send me 1)the respective internet webside address where this specific roadsign is published 2) and the information on which legal basis in accordance with EU directives or other regulations this roadsign was introduced in the Czech Republic. Thanks for you help. Janusz from Warsaw, Poland
Schengen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1296
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Well, the sign is included in regulation of Ministry of Transport nr. 30/2001 Col., resp. in its novelization nr. 176/2004 Col. - take a look at this PDF: http://aplikace.mvcr.cz/archiv2008/s...4/sb059-04.pdf . Another interesting info about czech signs you may found here: http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopravn...#Od_1._5._2004

I am not aware of any fact whether the "EU stars" sign was enforced by some EU provisions but it came into force at 1. 5. 2004, so directly at the date of EU enlargement incl. CZ.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:33 AM   #1297
Schengen
S

Likes (Received): 0

Dear Mr Mapman,

You are simply the best.

Unfortunately in Poland our authorities are at leaat 6 years behind Czechs in introducing this EU Schengen roadsign and they are still using officially the old F2a sign what makes many people crazy.

See:
http://www.znaki-drogowe.pl/index.ph...d=43&Itemid=65

If you found some specific EU provisions making it obligatory and mandatory to implement( in accordance with the Schengen Treaty ) in each member state this specific roadsign, I would be very obliged for your short info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
Well, the sign is included in regulation of Ministry of Transport nr. 30/2001 Col., resp. in its novelization nr. 176/2004 Col. - take a look at this PDF: http://aplikace.mvcr.cz/archiv2008/s...4/sb059-04.pdf . Another interesting info about czech signs you may found here: http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopravn...#Od_1._5._2004

I am not aware of any fact whether the "EU stars" sign was enforced by some EU provisions but it came into force at 1. 5. 2004, so directly at the date of EU enlargement incl. CZ.
Schengen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #1298
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Yep, I've read discussions about this "oddity" on your "forum polskich wiezowcow", I see that there are many people that find this inapropriate, together with the large sign of allowed speed limits, which is technically correct but practically unreadable and thus useless (esp. at high speed travelling on motorways). Hopefully, we'll see the EU stars sign someday on polish roads regulary (I've seen some already, bute they are an exception)...
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM   #1299
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I think that there is some EU ruegulation about that roadsign. In fact many EU countries have it in their road laws, but I think that is not mndatory like the euroband on the license plate.As far as I know who doesnt use these roadsign are UK, Ireland, Poland, Romania and Bulgaria. I dont know about Malta and Cyprus.
Sorry for the off-topic.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #1300
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Congrats on the new bypass, it looks great. What are current AADT figures on it? (data for the old section, the new one obviously doesn't have them yet)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways