daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #1401
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Btw, I don't see the reason why to build R52 from Brno via Pohořelice. Some expressway from D2 via Břeclav to Austrian border might be so cheaper than to build "long" expressway from Brno. It might be just a few km longer way. Anyway, it is a bit late now.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #1402
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Can anyone tell me if the roadworks that were on road nr 52 south of Brno near Modřice
have been finished? If not, am I likely to encounter a traffic jam on Friday around midday and if so, isn't it better to take this route?
The roadworks are finished. You can see the new pavement in the video. You merge from D1 around 3:10. The road is called Vídeňská radiála. (Wienna's radial road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Btw, I don't see the reason why to build R52 from Brno via Pohořelice. Some expressway from D2 via Břeclav to Austrian border might be so cheaper than to build "long" expressway from Brno. It might be just a few km longer way. Anyway, it is a bit late now.
My oppinion is that as for now is needed only half or full profile by pass of Mikulov and refurbishment of the rest of the road I 52 to fully separeted level interchanges in full profile, the rest can stay half profile. The intensities would suggest half profile for the full lenght of the road anyway.

Last edited by PLH; February 10th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1403
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Thank you very much

BTW, do not write two consecutive posts, use Edit. I've merged them for you this time.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #1404
Surel

Interesting visualization of the D3 section Hodějovice – Třebonín. That is south of České budějovice. On the map, around here: http://www.mapy.cz/#[email protected][email protected]=6

In detail:

The promised visualisation as flv file at: http://www.ctech.cz/pic/animace/dalnice_d3.flv
The video comes from this flash site: http://www.ctech.cz/#/vizualizace-staveb
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

I thought the southern section was to be constructed as R3?

Well, I like D3 better anyway. I don't like main routes changing road numbers or prefixes all the time. Imagine the mess if German A3 was B3 from time to time for technical reasons.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1406
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I thought the southern section was to be constructed as R3?
It is not so clear to me, so far I know that the last border section should be still R3, basically where this video ends should the road go on as R3. Thats also what they say in the visualisation. This may however change in the future.

I agree on the R versus D mess.
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #1407
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
It is not so clear to me, so far I know that the last border section should be still R3, basically where this video ends should the road go on as R3. Thats also what they say in the visualisation. This may however change in the future.

I agree on the R versus D mess.
Yes, I completely agree with you guys! I think the best solution would be if the last section Třebonín-border with Austria would be built as D3 like the rest of the motorway, the same with R11... And the renumbering of R52 from Brno to Vienna to D (the current section has motorway parametres - 26,5m wide, completely flat terrain,...). But it's always less mess than in Austria - A7 and S10...
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's also only a few countries which use the motorway-expressway system so extensive as CZ, PL, SK and A. In other countries the expressways do not form a real network, but only complement the main motorway network in less important areas. It's confusing if A) road numbers change all the time for no apparent reason and B) if the roads look almost exactly the same to the non-educated eye (i.e. the average motorist).
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1409
1+1=3

Likes (Received): 507

I think the best option is to rename R to D, because basicly there's no reason not to call Czech R the motorway. If I'm not mistaken Czech transportation ministry plans something like that, most R wil become D than and Czech motorway network will double in a day.
There's no reason to built sections near border with profuse parameters since traffic is there always very low.
1+1=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1410
TommyLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=3 View Post
I think the best option is to rename R to D, because basicly there's no reason not to call Czech R the motorway. If I'm not mistaken Czech transportation ministry plans something like that, most R wil become D than and Czech motorway network will double in a day.
There's no reason to built sections near border with profuse parameters since traffic is there always very low.
Well, I don't know nothing about renumbering of Czech R to D but it would make sense, at least on some most important R like R6, R10, R35, R48, R49, R52 and R55. Maybe one day...
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #1411
1+1=3

There was some article about it some year ago, they say at least 200 km of expressways should be re-marked as motorways at the first phase
http://www.rsd.cz/doc/Informacni-ser...zi-sit-dalnic-
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1412
TommyLopez

Quote:
There was some article about it some year ago, they say at least 200 km of expressways should be re-marked as motorways at the first phase
http://www.rsd.cz/doc/Informacni-ser...zi-sit-dalnic-
Interesting, so we will see
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:21 AM   #1413
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19218

Quote:
It's something what Irish have done with their HQDC.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1414
Surel

Somehow I dont believe this would happen before having finished the whole network, certainly not in the next 15 years. It would require rather substantial legislative changes, it would be also rather complicated with some old expressways as parts of them are certainly not of motorway standard. I mean, the change could be too expensive to happen.
Old February 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1415
1+1=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
it would be also rather complicated with some old expressways as parts of them are certainly not of motorway standard. I mean, the change could be too expensive to happen.
That's what they say, expressway sections which will meet 160 kmph speed limit would be marked as motorways. That's some 200 km of current expressways at the first phase.
Currently expressways look like standard roads on maps although they are often better than motorways somewhere in western europe. The goal is to have one standard. Though I agree it's not the hot topic right now.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM   #1416
Surel

Interesting map of the animals migration corridors. The red dots are critical crossings with motorways and higways, yellow then important crossings. This map should give an idea about the need for ecoducts, etc. Bit late (when many stands already), but better than never.

Old February 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #1417
1+1=3

Construction of Blanka tunnel on Prague city ring goes on
Quote:
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM   #1418
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Historic question!

An acquaintance of mine from Texas managed to get his hands on a 1941 Nazi road map. It shows a motorway under construction that would run from Liberec towards the southwest. I can see Road I/13 is partially a 2x2 road just west of Liberec. Does anyone know more about it?

See the image below; check the original size at Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nazi Germany Road Map (Northeast) by jczart, on Flickr
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #1419
toonczyk
autostradożerca

I have nothing substantive to say, but this map is an incredible find!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1420
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Historic question!

An acquaintance of mine from Texas managed to get his hands on a 1941 Nazi road map. It shows a motorway under construction that would run from Liberec towards the southwest. I can see Road I/13 is partially a 2x2 road just west of Liberec. Does anyone know more about it?
It's a plan of so called Sudetenautobahn. The construction started in 1939 near Eger (Cheb) in western Bohemia and some minor works were carried out also near Reichenberg (Liberec). It was suppossed to connect newly acquired cities in Sudetenland to growing net of Reichsautobahnen. In it's coverage were cities like Falkenau (Sokolov), Carlsbad (Karlovy Vary), Komotau (Chomutov), Brüx (Most), Bilin (Bilina), Leitmeritz (Litoměřice) and already mentioned "capital" of Sudetenland Reichenau (Liberec). Near Reichenau a tunnel was (alternatively) planned to cross the Jeschken (Ještěd) ridge. Here the whole route turned in the north direction to connect to Zittau, Görlitz and of course Berlin.

The original routing near Cheb is still clearly visible on Aerial Maps as a discontinuous line of trees (see link)

The remnants near Liberec are not distinguishable, current route of primary road Nr. 13 has nothing to do with it

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways