daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1781
maciekph

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin View Post
I travelled through Ostrava to Gliwice (Poland) and had some difficulties (as did other drivers), because there is some highway missing on the border area. When will the motorway through border be opened and what route you recomend in the meantime? Thanks!
Alpine cannot build properly bridge designed for Polish General Directorate for National Roads and Highways.
We don't know if bridge design is bad or Alpine did something wrong during constructions. They continue to fight in court.

Take a look here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...41854&page=394 if you are interested in details.

Besides that bridge in Mszana rest of motorway from Ostrava to Gliwice is almost ready.
maciekph no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

What is the current status of the R56 in Ostrava? As far as I know it should be extended to D1.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #1783
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

R56 is currently unfinished on both of it's endings. If you take a look at this leaflet, it shows three stages that are missing to complete the dual carriageway northbound. Stage 1 is fully operational, stage 2 is opened in half-profile and as for stage 3, no one knows in these days, when the construction might start, there are some unsolved property and environmental issues. But even after completion of those three stages, it is not expected to place a "motorroad" signs there and the speed will probably remain at 80 kph as well.

On the southern end, the connection to R48 is in final stages of planning and is expected to be coordinated with the R48 Frýdek-Místek bypass.
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #1784
mmmartin

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
You have to ask on the polish forum when will the motorway open as their are quite some problems with finishing construction of a motorway bridge. The motorway is finished on the czech side. They set the date somewhere in the summer for now.

The current detour is that you have to exit D1 in Bohumin, take I78 direction PL and cross the border. THe roads continues as polish DK78, in Wodzislaw Slaski you change to side road in direction Swierklany and Zory. In Swierklany you join polish D1 and continue to Gliwice.

Btw what route did you take, if you had difficulties?
We decided to go back through Tešin.

On the way up we left motorway on the last exit, than GPS took us the wrong way and we got lost in Bohumin, but we found the way to Poland quickly. There GPS took us to the motorway again, but we found out the section isn't open yet - again. We had to turn once more and made through Rybnik on the motorway.

The marcations (for detours) here are total catastrophy both on Czech and on Polish side!!!

All together we lost more than an hour.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1785
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 308

How the heck could you get lost? From the last D1 exit, the border crossing is some 400m far. You must see the border by a bare eye from there! Map
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1786
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
How the heck could you get lost? From the last D1 exit, the border crossing is some 400m far. You must see the border by a bare eye from there! Map
Knowing which side of a border one is on is far from enough information to keep from getting lost. Unsigned detours are among the easiest ways of getting lost.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1787
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

The biggest problem is with people relaying to much on GPS. It kills spatial awareness. Just following instructions like a sheep.
If you have normal map, you can often choose alternative route after simple glance at it.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1788
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Well the point here is, that it actually isnt detour. The motorway just isnt opened yet. Thus I would give the guilt here to the GPS. Its worse to have map that is ahead of the reality than the map that lacks behind reality in my oppinion. In the first case you just come to a dead end, in the second, you at least find the old route.

Well, my Dutch gf did have also quite difficulties to find her way from czech D1 to Polish A1 and then further A4, even thoguh I printed her a map with the route marketd and put a route to her GPS. There certainly could be better signange when we realize that the connection is becoming important now.

But to the defence of it I remember there is signage in CZ and in PL that together with map in the hands should answer all your questions. Paying attention only to the GPS proved to me many times rather contraproductive. When you focus on the gps you stop focusing on the boards and common sence. On the other side, there are moments when I could not imagine finding my way in reasonable time without it (centers of big cities).

The only really funny board I remember is that when you go the other way and leave the A1 in Swierklany I think that there is somewhere in Wodzislaw Slaski small directional board to BRNO... I did not really expect this one around there, lol.

Anyway, I wouldnt advice route through Tešín.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1789
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
The biggest problem is with people relaying to much on GPS. It kills spatial awareness. Just following instructions like a sheep.
If you have normal map, you can often choose alternative route after simple glance at it.
Still I think people would not rely on GPS that much if the roads were signed consistently and properly. D1/A1 between Bohumin and Świerklany is not opened yet, so it should be OBVIOUS that the alternate route from the end of D1 to the beginning of A1 (and the other way round) should be marked in a way that makes it almost impossible to get lost. On the Czech side it's not really that big of a problem, but in Poland unless you have a really good map (and someone to read it for you), it's almost impossible not to get lost without a GPS with up-to-date maps loaded. Because even if there are signs directing cars towards A1, they are small, rare and quite often plain wrong.
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1790
geogregor

I do agree that signage is far from perfect but quick look at the map of area before driving would tell anyone to go towards Wodzislaw and then towards Zory via DW932.
Simple, it takes 10 sec to find out even with basic map or google. No need for GPS
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1791
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I do agree that signage is far from perfect but quick look at the map of area before driving would tell anyone to go towards Wodzislaw and then towards Zory via DW932.
Simple, it takes 10 sec to find out even with basic map or google. No need for GPS
Most maps don't have A1 on them yet, neither did Google until a few months ago.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1792
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
Most maps don't have A1 on them yet, neither did Google until a few months ago.
It was rather general comment about relaying too much on GPS even if there is no need for it.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1793
Surel

Nice gallery with pictures (www.ceskedalnice.cz) from the construction of R7 in the west of Czech Republic nearby and bypassing Chomutov. Map Length 15 km. The construction should be finished in may-july 2013.

Rsd leaflets
Vysočany - Droužkovice

Droužkovice - Spořice

Some of the pictures (c) Balance, all rights to Balance

Order from east to west

005 flyover II/607; looking direction Prague at interchange 66 Vysočany with I/27

Looking direction Germany

Further on direction Prague

Gasspipe Gazela will go under the expressway.

Flyover II/568

Interchange Spořice

Bridge over railway - Spořice
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1794
Surel

The RSD will begin (resume after the two years break) on Monday the construction of the missing part of D8 on the Prague - Dresden route. The contract is for 32 months but they set the opening to late 2014. (map)

link in czech

Also the 4 km section Lovosice - Bilinka with which the whole missing links begins (direction from Prague) is schedulled to open for traffic on May, 14.

Very nice pictures of the above mentioned sections at www.ceskedalnice.cz

(c) mmatuska all rights to mmatuska

Last edited by Surel; May 6th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1795
Surel

Another problems on the D1 in Ostrava built by Eurovia. The steel is corroding little bit more then it should :o.

In the link flash video from the bridge steel load bearing structures on one of the bridges. The drainage is said to be faultly designed and the steel corrodes more then it should to create just a patina.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/img/flash/play...mb.jpg&ext=mp4
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #1796
Surel

Inner city ring in Prague (from http://www.tunelblanka.cz/)

interchange Prašný most map. Underground parking facilities above the tunnel.

tunnel in Patočkova street

section kralovska obora, ventilation shaft

section kralovska obora, inside air control
before

now

section kralovska obora, inside the tunnel

section Letna, underground parking facilities above the tunnel

Bridge in Troja

Bridge in Troja visual

Last edited by Surel; May 13th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1797
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Nice, this may be the most impressive urban project currently going on in central Europe.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #1798
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nice, this may be the most impressive urban project currently going on in central Europe.
It is really big. The Prague budget is bleeding on this. Its financed solely by Prague. The total costs are estimated at 37 bn CZK, that is 1.5 bn Euro. The projec should have been operational already this year, but mainly due to the financing problems it´s been delayed till 2014 being operational.

The length of the tunnel 6.4 kms is making it the longest European city tunnel.
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1799
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

WOW !!!
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1800
Surel

The 3.5 km long section of D8 Lovosice Bilinka opened today for traffic. RSD press release in czech

cost 3 bn CZK = 120 mil Euro

pictures: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1731

map

Last edited by Surel; May 14th, 2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: fixed link

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways