daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1841
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Like I said, city centers typically account for only 10 - 20% of the employment and traffic in an urban area. The main reason why people use public transport in those areas is often not travel time, but lack of parking or high parking fees. 90% of the car trips are twice as fast than by public transport, even with congestion.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1842
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Good point

Anyways, in the case of Prague, the current coverage of the Prague Metro seems sufficient enough atm to cover most areas/journeys I mean. Of course, taking into account that other extensions are on the way (like the one to the airport which will work hand-in-hand with the upcoming conventional rail service to the airport).

However, outside of Prague, it's a different story. So if you need to go outside the capital (like to Ostrava or Olomouc), well you gotta drive.

It's different from compared to say like in Japan or Hong Kong or Singapore wherein you can go anywhere even if you don't have a car or can't afford a car (because the train and rail transport networks cover huge areas or reach many places).

In the case of the Czech Republic, you can probably do it in Prague. But outside the capital, no chance. You really have to learn how to drive if you want to travel outside the capital.

Two cents
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1843
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Good point

Anyways, in the case of Prague, the current coverage of the Prague Metro seems sufficient enough atm to cover most areas/journeys I mean. Of course, taking into account that other extensions are on the way (like the one to the airport which will work hand-in-hand with the upcoming conventional rail service to the airport).

However, outside of Prague, it's a different story. So if you need to go outside the capital (like to Ostrava or Olomouc), well you gotta drive.

It's different from compared to say like in Japan or Hong Kong or Singapore wherein you can go anywhere even if you don't have a car or can't afford a car (because the train and rail transport networks cover huge areas or reach many places).

In the case of the Czech Republic, you can probably do it in Prague. But outside the capital, no chance. You really have to learn how to drive if you want to travel outside the capital.

Two cents
You can get almost anywhere with public transport in the Czech republic. Although the coverage is failry reduced compared to what it was 20 years ago. Check this page, it basically provides the connection for all public transport in CZ, you can choose from city pt, or city to city, or combined, just put in two places. It combines trains, busess, etc. It runs in englis if you cahnge the language in the right down corner. VERY USEFULL SITE for any tourist in CZ.

The rail density in CZ is one of the highest in the world. I think the highest in Europe, but those trains are no high speed service. The problem is thus not that you would nto get somewhere, but the time it would take you. When villages with under 500 citizens have their own train stops... what kind of service would you expect... Most these lines are century old, build in different world, for different purposes.

The use of car has different reasons than that you have to, otherwise you wont get there. The reasons are time!, comfort, flexibility, ability to carry many things, independence.

and trip from Prague to Ostrava is best taken by train, it takes some 3 hours. You will never be that fast with a car, unless you fly.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1844
Sch1

Likes (Received): 21

Share on modal split of public transport in the city proper of Prague (which accounts for 85% of population of the whole metropolitan area of Prague) is around 60%. This number is from the 2010 census and only regular commutes are counted.
When all passenger-kilometers are counted the share is 43% for public transport vs. 33% cars, 23% walk and 1% bike. (2009)
In time the share of car rises as the wealth of the citizens rises. In the 90ties it used to be 2:1 for public transport.
But this discussion is far off topic for this thread, the
PRAGUE | Public Transport thread would be much better.

Last edited by Sch1; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Sch1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM   #1845
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Usually only 30% of the traffic is actually commuting traffic on most roads (to and from work).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1846
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Surel..

When coming from D1 and want to go to D8 (the other way round compared to the road we talked about some days ago) what signs should i look for when D1 ends in addition to sgins like Usti n.l and Teplice ?? unfortunately i couldn't find any videos on youtube the other way round, only from D8 to D1 but not from D1 to D8..

If i want to take the samme detour that we've talked about, where should i go ?

I understand that i take Jizni Spojka first, but when arriving at the X between prumyslova (E55) and sterboholska spojka (E67,which i like to take) what kind of sign should i follow there ? Maybe just follow E67 ??

When that is fixed and i go further to the detour part 510, i want to take vysocancka radial towards D8, that means that there should be 3 exits that i DO NOT have to take, right ? that should be exit to hradec kralove, exit to cerny most, and exit to Mlada Boreslav.. In other words, i should just continue on 510 straight until the road ends ?

This is the route: http://g.co/maps/bdk69

Thank you in advance
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1847
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

You can follow USTI N.L. or TEPLICE, it's signed all the way from D1 to D8... or follow E55, it routed the same way. This is the video you need for the first part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETEUefQbbA then in the minute 9:30 continue straight ahead and stay left, you won't miss it ...
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:35 PM   #1848
tfd543

thanks a lot..

So essentially when i am at Jizni Spojka i can acutally just follow the road straight until the whole road ends (that should be when it takes me to Vysocancka radial).. So it will direct me automatically. is that right ?

The only exit i have to take from Jizni Spojka is at the end of vysocancka radial i.e. the exit for Usti n. l.

I can assure you that from D1 to D8 is more dificult than D8 to D1 (Only Brno signs to follow)..

Thanks in advance
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1849
Surel

Yes, and yes.
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1850
Surel

Today opened for traffic the whole section I/37 Hrobice–Ohrazenice (6.4 km). The first class road features grade seperated 2x2. (flyer in czech and RSD news report)

Last edited by Surel; May 28th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1851
Surel

Czech Polish border A1/D1

Old May 30th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1852
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17431

In Poland we have E75 to the border
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1853
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post

In Poland we have E75 to the border

Yeah, we talked about this here already. Someone again was not able to do the work properly... Also the whole D1 on the czech side was not given money from the structural funds as it was not part of the TEN-T, and the R48 was preffered by the EU commission. Funny that now, when the TEN-T desing was upgraded for the whole of Europe, the D1 is part of the core! network. Yeah, why not include it now, its built already and the capacity is more then enough... and the R48 will get big nothing I guess now when it is not needed anymore for the international transit.

Why cannot those people responsible be a bit reasonable, meet several times and discuss things . Sometimes I think that they have to be dumb stupid. There is really no other explanation. Why cannot they for the Christ sake, look at the map, discuss the sections which could fall for the EU financing. Work hard on it. Get the financing for them from the EU and build them for fraction of the cost. There could have been build so much more motorways in the CZ if the people responsible for EU funding + people that do the planning + decision making were doing their work properly and coordinate their actions a bit.

BTW. How is the Mszana bridge doing?

Last edited by Surel; May 30th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1854
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Why cannot those people responsible be a bit reasonable, meet several times and discuss things . Sometimes I think that they have to be dumb stupid. There is really no other explanation. Why cannot they for the Christ sake, look at the map, discuss the sections which could fall for the EU financing. Work hard on it. Get the financing for them from the EU and build them for fraction of the cost. There could have been build so much more motorways in the CZ if the people responsible for EU funding + people that do the planning + decision making were doing their work properly and coordinate their actions a bit.
When have politicians EVER done the logical thing ?
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #1855
Ministerský rada

Sometimes they do but not on purpose, it's mostly because of other incentives

As for the E75/E462 thing - personally I tried to point out this particular problem on official places, but I haven't seen any progress so far. It seems that the responsible officials don't discuss things like that, because it's so much rare to change E-road routing in CE, even though AGR agreement specifies the procedure...
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1856
Surel

Very nice photoreport from the end of D1 near Bohumin approaching Polish border.

link to Polish subforum: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...0#post91894740
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1857
tfd543

Do anybody have some photos or video of this route:

http://goo.gl/maps/j7Rb
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #1858
Ministerský rada

maps.google.com recently added very very detailed coverage of czech roads and streets!! You can see almost every rural from the driver's point of view
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1859
Surel

Indeed very nice. Could find almost everything I wanted . Thx for the good news.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1860
bogdymol
bogdymod

I've heard that the Czechs have decided to reconstruct D1 Prague-Brno motorway and that they will widen the motorway with 0.75 m on each side so that during the works they can apply a 2+2 temporary scheme for traffic.

Here is an article in Czech about this: Podívejte se: průběh rekonstrukce dálnice D1 krok po kroku

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, czech republic, highways, motorways